Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine for a second that a woman goes missing.

Her vehicle is found a quarter of a mile from her home, deep down in a ravine.

Law enforcement never discusses the involvement of that vehicle in her disappearance, that she was driving down the road, appeared to have been in an accident, color/make of car, etc.

Unheard of!

IMO the investigators do not believe Suzanne’s disappearance is tied the bicycle ride.

Law enforcement never discusses the involvement of that vehicle in her disappearance, that she was driving down the road, appeared to have been in an accident, color/make of car, etc.

Unheard of!

IMO the investigators do not believe Suzanne’s disappearance is tied the bicycle ride.
Wow - well done ! Excellent analogy IMO

You don't have to be in the media to be sued for slander or libel. I currently have a case that originated on Instagram.

SM and people posting potentially libel/slanderous things on these platforms are increasingly being exposed to civil liability, even if someone is posting their opinion or speculating. If it turns out to be false, liability could follow...IMO

Yes. As an attorney I understand that more than just the media can be sued for defamation. I’m going to assume most people understand that.

My point was that the first amendment freedom of the press is tempered by the possibility of being able to sue for defamation.

Apparently that wasn’t clear?

Unheard of!

Excellent uncomplicated reasoning!!!

If SM was discussing an upcoming wedding with a friend, naturally discussions surrounding relationships, love, etc. may come up. If SM expressed unflattering commentary about BM, perhaps this upset him...

Another idea is that perhaps SM expected a certain level of treatment for Mothers Day, but BM disagreed, thinking he is the breadwinner, but "she is only a stay at home mom". This could be the source of an argument.

Or perhaps the move to Colorado continued to be a source of tension. Perhaps he felt she wasn't appreciative of their expensive home and his hard work.

Any number of things can spark an argument between a couple.

Of course LE know the content of any messages with the friend, which might provide some clue.

BBM. Yes they do and when the arrest affidavit is released, we may get to read them. In Gannon's case, TS's web searches and texts were included iirc. Moo

I agree, and to piggy back off this thought... I also believe TN had reservations about someone's innocence from the get go. He also did not want to be on camera or have his image used. Something in the back of his head was keeping him from going all in. IMO
I am going to respectfully disagree here. TN actually did go all in, spoke to reporters and searched for days. I think that there was a lack of early coverage for this case, especially nationally, and we might not appreciate the work of the family because of it. Not much footage of the community searches exist, so it’s hard to get a feel for the atmosphere and intensity. But the family WAS working hard and reaching out.
TN called into KUSA for a phone interview several days after SM’s disappearance. He said that he and the family had been out day and night with search crews looking for his aunt. I’ve transcribed his comments. “Every morning early we’ve been gathering and creating a game plan, and we just sent a bunch of teams out. We have our biggest crew yet today going out. Again. We’re working all day from when the sun comes up til the sun comes down, scouring every hill, every creek , every watershed looking for our beloved family member, (voice cracks) my Aunt Suzanne. We’re going everywhere. We have teams going into towns, and into remote mountainous areas and everyplace in between, scouring the area looking for any clue. And that’s the game plan. And we are gathering together at the end of each day, or as we can throughout (the day).. and compiling everything that we find. And building a stronger plan for the next day and going out with a more coordinated effort.”
“She is the sweetest, most loving person. She’s my aunt and the most wonderful, loving, beautiful person inside and out and we need her back to us now”
On May 14, he had an interview with CBS4Denver... “It’s really tough physically. It’s taxing up and down these hills. And it’s emotionally draining you know being with family and still being empty handed. We want to leave our options open, and we want to make sure we cover every hill...and know that everyone out here is doing everything they possibly can to find her. And if there is a chance she could hear this maybe, I want her to know that the family wants her back and we love her. We’re out there working for her”.

I am going to respectfully disagree here. TN actually did go all in, spoke to reporters and searched for days. I think that there was a lack of early coverage for this case, especially nationally, and we might not appreciate the work of the family because of it. Not much footage of the community searches exist, so it’s hard to get a feel for the atmosphere and intensity. But the family WAS working hard and reaching out. .

Respectfully snipped.
So, what have we heard from TN lately? Has something changed?

I am going to respectfully disagree here. TN actually did go all in, spoke to reporters and searched for days. I think that there was a lack of early coverage for this case, especially nationally, and we might not appreciate the work of the family because of it. Not much footage of the community searches exist, so it’s hard to get a feel for the atmosphere and intensity. But the family WAS working hard and reaching out.
TN called into KUSA for a phone interview several days after SM’s disappearance. He said that he and the family had been out day and night with search crews looking for his aunt. I’ve transcribed his comments. “Every morning early we’ve been gathering and creating a game plan, and we just sent a bunch of teams out. We have our biggest crew yet today going out. Again. We’re working all day from when the sun comes up til the sun comes down, scouring every hill, every creek , every watershed looking for our beloved family member, (voice cracks) my Aunt Suzanne. We’re going everywhere. We have teams going into towns, and into remote mountainous areas and everyplace in between, scouring the area looking for any clue. And that’s the game plan. And we are gathering together at the end of each day, or as we can throughout (the day).. and compiling everything that we find. And building a stronger plan for the next day and going out with a more coordinated effort.”
“She is the sweetest, most loving person. She’s my aunt and the most wonderful, loving, beautiful person inside and out and we need her back to us now”
On May 14, he had an interview with CBS4Denver... “It’s really tough physically. It’s taxing up and down these hills. And it’s emotionally draining you know being with family and still being empty handed. We want to leave our options open, and we want to make sure we cover every hill...and know that everyone out here is doing everything they possibly can to find her. And if there is a chance she could hear this maybe, I want her to know that the family wants her back and we love her. We’re out there working for her”.
Like you, I also believe that TN was sincere in his love and devotion for Suzanne. I can’t help but wonder what happened and why we no longer hear from him.

Last edited:
You don't have to be in the media to be sued for slander or libel. I currently have a case that originated on Instagram.

SM and people posting potentially libel/slanderous things on these platforms are increasingly being exposed to civil liability, even if someone is posting their opinion or speculating. If it turns out to be false, liability could follow...IMO
BBM:

"Well, exactly," as that renowned valedictorian, Patrick Frazee, would say.

Statements have to actually be untrue in order to be either slanderous or libelous.

So there's that.

JMO.

Last edited:
I agree with you and see that my post was not clear, my apologies. Everything you say is true, I believe he gave his all in looking for Suzanne. He was the only person speaking to the media and trying his best to find someone that he clearly loved. The G** me was also well intentioned and from the heart IMO.
Two things did strike me though. First when he did not want his face shown in the news ... I believe (of course this is all just my impression) that he had some doubt regarding BMs innocence. Maybe he heard or witnessed his temper before. I don't know. Secondly, he denied naming himself as BMs nephew or referring to BM as his Uncle, yet called Suzanne his Aunt. It was significant to me.

Yet not one single picture of these massive family searches not even on their own FB page so I personally do not believe this story
JMO
Eta - while I helped compile the media thread I may have missed the media coverage of these family searches? Maybe @Seattle1 can refresh my memory?

Yes. As an attorney I understand that more than just the media can be sued for defamation. I’m going to assume most people understand that.

My point was that the first amendment freedom of the press is tempered by the possibility of being able to sue for defamation.

Apparently that wasn’t clear?

Not really any 1st amendment protection for slander/libel/defamation. This is why I would not claim someone committed a heinous crime until they are actually convicted of it, but that's how I roll.

So the family of the missing person, including the spouse actually did put forth significant search efforts? There seem to be claims that nothing, or not enough, has been done by the family of the missing person. IMO the family was very active in search efforts early on.

Unheard of!

Great analogy!

Yet not one single picture of these massive family searches not even on their own FB page so I personally do not believe this story
JMO
Eta - while I helped compile the media thread I may have missed the media coverage of these family searches? Maybe @Seattle1 can refresh my memory?

If there had been a big search effort, your right, it would have been on their website. The nephew would have been smart enough to post picture of the valiant effort. I don't believe the was much of a search effort. I think BM was using his nephew, whining because the heat was on. Getting his nephew to put out some good PR for him. I think the nephew came with good intentions, but having to be dishonest wasn't something that he could get comfortable with.
I wouldn't be surprised if the nephew is called to testify for the prosecution.
Moo
of course.

So the family of the missing person, including the spouse actually did put forth significant search efforts? There seem to be claims that nothing, or not enough, has been done by the family of the missing person. IMO the family was very active in search efforts early on.
BBM:

Oh, yes, absolutely!
According to BM, they searched a 200-mile radius!

Not to mention, he put out a 27-second video!!

Honestly, I don't know what more anyone could possibly expect of the man.

He's been incredibly busy.
It's not like he didn't have guardianship papers to file, and real estate deals to close, and workouts at the gym to do, or anything.

Yeesh…let's give the guy a break, already!

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads