Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Per COVID, this is how I handled a situation just 2 weeks ago: I had to pick up two young hikers that are friends of mine maybe 1 1/2 hours away. It's COVID. I had them sit, masked, in the back, so they were reasonably distanced (maybe 4-5'; guidance would be 6' even if masked). My car has a good air system, but we also stopped to let air through the car. If someone needed water or had a scratchy throat, we had to stop, and they had to get out.

Driving with open windows on these hi-tech, wind-tunneled, cars is very problematic when you're on the highway at speed: it can be hard to control the car. So, this was not an option.

I survived.

Note, however, that other folks might have handled it differently. Everyone has different ideas about guidance. Another responsible adult may have handled it exactly how MG and her passenger handled it. They were on a long drive. They may be on the lower end of the risk spectrum....

I’m using Uber rules (city folk here lol). “Open windows, if possible” Helping move what matters

Actually, yes, the individual texts are there in the Cloud - at least for a while, depending on provider. They are encrypted so that in theory, they are safe and and privately stored.

180 days is the storage time listed in the article below, which also says that all it takes for LE to get them is a subpoena.

No Warrant, No Problem: How the Government Can Get Your Digital Data — ProPublica

So yep, with or without phone, text messages are available for 180 days to LE. Must be a fascinating morass in this case.

Facebook messages are also available by subpoena, but I don't know how long they keep them.

Perhaps one of our lawyers will weigh in, but I believe these subpoenas are only available to LE and in criminal cases.
Under Riley v California (2014) the Supreme Court ruled the search of the data on a cell phone is a major invasion of privacy due to the quality and quantity of personal information stored on cell phones. . The government may not conduct a warrantless search of cell phone incident to arrest; rather, the government must secure a warrant or demonstrate exigent circumstances.

So they have to get a warrant and warrants have to state the specific information LE is looking for, but they dont need the actual phone they can get it from the carrier

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Per COVID, this is how I handled a situation just 2 weeks ago: I had to pick up two young hikers that are friends of mine maybe 1 1/2 hours away. It's COVID. I had them sit, masked, in the back, so they were reasonably distanced (maybe 4-5'; guidance would be 6' even if masked). My car has a good air system, but we also stopped to let air through the car. If someone needed water or had a scratchy throat, we had to stop, and they had to get out.

Driving with open windows on these hi-tech, wind-tunneled, cars is very problematic when you're on the highway at speed: it can be hard to control the car. So, this was not an option.

I survived.

Note, however, that other folks might have handled it differently. Everyone has different ideas about guidance. Another responsible adult may have handled it exactly how MG and her passenger handled it. They were on a long drive. They may be on the lower end of the risk spectrum....

This is certainly a possibility,and I would definitely
wear a mask and sit in the back seat myself.
My own feelings are that Covid was not the reason he was riding in the back.They spent time together in the hotel,and again in my own opinion,I do not think they would have worried about social distancing or the threat of Covid.

Last edited:
This is certainly a possibility,and I would certainly wear a mask and sit in the back seat myself.
My own feelings are that Covid was not the reason he was riding in the back.They spent time together in the hotel,and again in my own opinion,I do not think they would have worried about social distancing or the threat of Covid.
Maybe he intended to sleep during the ride and figured to be more comfortable in the back seat.

Not following you. When you inhale something at the time of death, MOO there is no way that diatoms from what you breath get into your bone marrow. MOO Impossible.

Questioning as to where you heard "diatoms are known to gather in the bone marrow of the long bones as water is inhaled" as those don't pass through aveoli into blood, and blood doesn't go backwards even if it did into the bone marrow. That is not biologically credible at all MOO

Another source where this is discussed

"...the successful recovery of diatoms from a variety of tissues and fluids (lung, liver, kidney, bone marrow, and cavity fluid) along with comparison to that found in the drowning medium has been shown to be an occasionally useful adjunct to not only the diagnosis of drowning but also in the ruling out of drowning as the cause of death"

Investigation of Drowning Deaths: A Practical Review
Investigation of Drowning Deaths: A Practical Review

IMO

I'm not really suspicious of this 3rd contractor as some others might be right now. It appears he just didn't want to talk to LS or any media, which I think is absolutely fine. It's possible he's been totally cooperative with LE and has told them everything he knows and just wants to get back to his life without the circus of all this.

I took his text to LS as saying - the rumors out there are absurd and laughable. Take this text however you want. He of course does not give any specifics as to what rumors he's referring to. It was a vague text.

BUT, he did leave a cliffhanger. Not sure what this means but he's fine with it being pondered by folks: There might be a reason I don't want to talk publicly there might not be. I'll leave that for you and whoever else wants to ponder that thought.

IMO, I don't think there's really any hidden meanings and he was being a little snarky with LS.

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado
I found his text to LS to be extremely obnoxious. This isn't about rumors or protecting BM or yourself from gossip, it's about a missing mother and closure for her girls. Justice.
He should replace that smug little attitude with some straight talk and empathy. jmo

Under Riley v California (2014) the Supreme Court ruled the search of the data on a cell phone is a major invasion of privacy due to the quality and quantity of personal information stored on cell phones. . The government may not conduct a warrantless search of cell phone incident to arrest; rather, the government must secure a warrant or demonstrate exigent circumstances.

So they have to get a warrant and warrants have to state the specific information LE is looking for, but they dont need the actual phone they can get it from the carrier

I'm not sure what is considered a MSM source to link to my question about this - though is this where the Kelsey Smith Act comes in? Allowing LE access to cell records without a subpoena?

I was asked to come over to this thread to post some technology information. I gather that Suzanne's brother is organizing a search. Lidar technology is available that can be mounted on both drones and small aircraft. Large areas scanned from the air by Lidar produce a ground terrain map that has the option to remove all trees and vegetation, leaving only the ground and objects on it. It has been used with great success in locating lost cities in jungles and old forgotten fortifications here in the US and Canada that have been overgrown. It has now become a Forensic tool to scan crime scenes, air crash sites, etc. This could be helpful in checking areas where the ground may have been disturbed or where there may be dirt mounds from a buried body. Most areas of the country have one or more ground mapping services that have Lidar on aircraft, drones or both.
wow -

I was asked to come over to this thread to post some technology information. I gather that Suzanne's brother is organizing a search. Lidar technology is available that can be mounted on both drones and small aircraft. Large areas scanned from the air by Lidar produce a ground terrain map that has the option to remove all trees and vegetation, leaving only the ground and objects on it. It has been used with great success in locating lost cities in jungles and old forgotten fortifications here in the US and Canada that have been overgrown. It has now become a Forensic tool to scan crime scenes, air crash sites, etc. This could be helpful in checking areas where the ground may have been disturbed or where there may be dirt mounds from a buried body. Most areas of the country have one or more ground mapping services that have Lidar on aircraft, drones or both.
Thank you for sharing that info with us.
I found a confirming article that tests have
shown success in finding graves of buried bodies. This is based on the decomposition of the bodies and the change in elevation of terrain when decomp happens. ie the ground sinks a bit but it's detectable even if covered with leaves.
This is fascinating if CCSO has access to this technology for the 9/24 search.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-lidar-unmarked-graves-victims.html

I'm not sure what is considered a MSM source to link to my question about this - though is this where the Kelsey Smith Act comes in? Allowing LE access to cell records without a subpoena?
Im not super familiar with this bill, but I believe from its description it only applies in emergency situations where risk of death or serious physical injury are possible when the individual has made a call to emergency services. It seems like the key is the phone must be used to make a 911 or emergency service call for the records to be released

I found his text to LS to be extremely obnoxious. This isn't about rumors or protecting BM or yourself from gossip, it's about a missing mother and closure for her girls. Justice.
He should replace that smug little attitude with some straight talk and empathy. jmo

IMO, for me personally, I only care that he cooperated (continues to) with LE. We don't know if he did or not.

I could care less if he wants to talk to a reporter or what kind of tone he takes with them (within reason). Reporters are tough, it comes with the territory. I also don't care if he's emotionally invested in this case. Maybe he's tired of being contacted by media and just wants to be left alone.

I do agree with you that he came off as smug in that text. But again, we don't know the texts between him and LS and was only shown the one that was published. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mydermarie26