Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
White Pine is the white dot on the map. Looks kinda halfway between Salida and Gunnison.
Side note.. my DH has gone deer and elk hunting many many times out of Gunnison.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
Looks like reports this weekend said they had not linked this to the SM case “at this time” and that the remains had been there “for some time”. Hmm. Still interested to see what comes of this nonetheless.

If my husband is right... An hour from Salida would put him in Colorado Springs. If he was using his phone as his empolyees said then there should be a coordinate showing where he was. I am assuming LE has that info and did not release it. Now do we know if he took the Toll or I25? The Toll would have put him right at the Hotel. The highway would have forced him to exit and actually find the hotel.

Spoke with my nephew tonight, who lives in the Springs. He said it was about an hour maybe a little over. But it is high country. And LOTS of places to hide a body. But he also thought that an abduction was out there....meaning, no probably not, He said nah, in May you would have few tourists and especially with covid

@NatureLover:

To your knowledge, Can you answer if BM was a devoted Christian or a religious person?

Thank you for your reply.

No, I don't know. I was raised in a church that included SM's family. BM's family is Baptist. SM began attending church with BM and they were married in his church. Also, BM's family is from Arkansas (as are several other families in this area who came north decades ago to work in the auto industry.) So to understand something about M's situation, you have to understand the Southern Baptist religion which is truly a microcosm of the south. (I grew up in a family where my Southern Baptist-raised dad left the church to join my mother's more liberal northern one. Grandma would go to church with us when she visited, but did not approve of our denomination.) So when you add this aspect of M's life with a narcissistic personality, it seems another way BM might have asserted his control over his spouse and family. MOO with a dose of Speculation!

I

This is the whole case in a nutshell, not meaning to ruffle anyone’s feathers, but we’ve had many threads now, dissecting BM, really based a lot on our own experiences.
This interview with BMs friend from childhood should be given much more bearing than our own life experiences. JMVHO
This man knew the whole family well, more than any of us. He refutes much of our speculation, even before we speculate.

I find him believable, I think we could all wish to have friends from childhood, that in itself shows a personality who is worth a continuing friendship.

He isn’t trying to cover up BMs guilt, oh no, he’s just making his personal assessment, from his point of view, someone who truly knew BM and the family...

This is my interpretation MOO

“I can’t believe he would do such a thing”
- Said by some old schoolmate of every killer, everywhere

jmo

My thoughts exactly.
Perhaps I am naturally a cynic, but my take is completely different. I believe he brought up God and Christianity primarily as a manipulation tactic. He was hoping that Lauren was a Christian too and that she might find an affinity for Barry through their shared religious beliefs. If she was a Christian then she might find his story to be more believable. Also, maybe his Christian talk is a strategy to make himself appear to be more righteous, pious and truthful than he actually is.

Look, I didn’t kill my wife; I’m a Christian and “we are a godly family.”

IMO

Last edited:
I would not expect my neighbor to go through my home. I might ask that they ring the doorbell, try to call, report back about what cars etc were there, but enter? No way. What if something bad had happened? I would call 911, and if the neighbor was able to provide access to my home, I would ask that they stay on the scene so they could let the police in. If all was well with Suzanne, she would have answered the door. If all was not and she was inside, injured, the next step would have been 911 anyway.
I would certainly never request let alone allow a 70 year old or older woman to enter my home if my spouse or child were missing and I was not present. This leads credence that BM knew the neighbor would not be in danger in the home despite the fact SM was missing and or unaccounted for within that time frame. I would dial 911 period.
ETA as should anyone else under similar circumstances IMO

Perhaps I am naturally a cynic, but my take is completely different. I believe he brought up God and Christianity primarily as a manipulation tactic. He was hoping that Lauren was a Christian too and that she might find an affinity for Barry through their shared religious beliefs. If she was a Christian then she might find his story to be more believable. Also, maybe his Christian talk is a strategy to make himself appear to be more righteous, pious and truthful than he actually is.

Look, I didn’t kill my wife; I’m a Christian and “we are a godly family.”
This is my take on it too.
I like to see the walk, not listen to the talk.

I cannot fathom any person not even BM planning to kill SM with family in town . IMO His Mom and Sister were either not in town yet or on the camping trip with the girls. Even peanut butter would be sticky in that sort of jam. MOO

Respectfully, you kinda nailed it, if it is true about his mom and sister, it has to be someone other than BM... even BM wouldn’t be that stupid.
IMO, the perp expected to find only the immediate 4 family members present. They intended to use covid to their advantage.

I would certainly never request let alone allow a 70 year old or older woman to enter my home if my spouse or child were missing and I was not present. This leads credence that BM knew the neighbor would not be in danger in the home despite the fact SM was missing and or unaccounted for within that time frame. I would dial 911 period.
ETA as should anyone else under similar circumstances IMO
I would not enter the home alone either, if I was the neighbor.

"I consider that question to be Barry's attempt to manipulate Lauren and reel her in to his side. If she believes in God, she will believe his ridiculous explanations.

He has just told Lauren, “This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry said. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.”

More of what others have pointed out as his "Christian Persona". JMO"

Just thinking out loud... Could BM's questioning about believing in God be some sort of veiled threat to LS? Like if LS were to betray BM by releasing info that she agreed not to, then LS would be breaking her word and lying is not looked kindly upon by God? IMO

I'm not sure that Lauren Scharf "scares" very easily. If one is an investigative reporter, one may receive threats at some point. It's probably part of the job.

Regardless, I personally don't think Barry was attempting to threaten Lauren. I think that he was attempting to determine if he could use certain terminology with her. If Lauren confirmed a belief in God, then Barry would think that Lauren would understand that a term such as "trust in the Lord" has a certain meaning for him. A fellow Catholic, for example, will "get" all the intricacies of what I mean when I say, "the Eucharist" in a way that a non-Catholic may not.

My interpretation of the intent of his question may very well be wrong, of course.

Replying to my own post to add: I may have misinterpreted @NatureLover Post #655 with regard to BM's mom and sister traveling to CO together by car. Hopefully @NatureLover can clarify. In the meantime, please take that part of my post as my speculation and opinion only. Thank you! :oops:

Sometimes what I put on "paper" is not as clear to others. Guess it's the way my brain works! But, no, I don't know if BM's mother came to Colorado with her daughter. But since it is an eighteen hour drive and occurred during Covid flying restrictions, it is a scenario that makes sense to me. So BM's mother being in Colorado two hours away from the M's home or to go on the church camp trip on Mother's Day weekend is purely my own speculation. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member