Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my. And the people on that cruise ship thought they had it bad. At least so far outside of NK we have not heard of people being shot on sight or dragged off to a hard labor work camp.

"The trade official, who had been placed in isolation after traveling to China, was arrested and immediately shot for risking the spread of the deadly disease, the Dong-a Ilbo news outlet in South Korea reported."

"Meanwhile, an official at North Korea’s National Security Agency was exiled to work on a farm because he hid a recent trip to China, according to the UK’s Mirror."

https://nypost.com/2020/02/13/north...executed-for-breaking-coronavirus-quarantine/

Why it's still OK to take a cruise amid the coronavirus outbreak
“‘I wouldn't hesitate to get on a cruise boat, if that's something you like to do," Lynch said.”

Um, no thanks.

The news media shouldn't be promoting this stuff right now. The federal government might want to consider a moratorium on some kinds of foreign travel to other high risk areas and environements, just for a while. It's common sense. Travel centers seem to be a major vector for this illness - airports, cruise ships, hotels, etc.

At least until we start to see a decline in new cases. Any country that is still seeing rising new cases should be on the no-go list. JMO, it's not to much to ask. Postpone your vacation trip for a month or so. Make the cruise lines, airlines, resorts, etc. issue refunds or re-book trips. They all have record profits right now, they'll survive. It's not the end of the world.

JMO

Ben is free! Mom picks him up and a review of his experience

ETA I just saw him react (never saw before) when he was looking at Youtube and realized he was #1 trending on the site with about 1.5 million views... His words and reaction... priceless! hahahaha

Last edited:
The CoViD19 doesn't seem to be that infectious (yet), as the comparison charts at the end of this Swedish newspaper article illustrates. They compare CoViD19, SARS, common flu, the Spanish flu 1918, smallpox and the measles. The measles is the most infectious, every infected person infects 15 (non-vaccinated) others, but very few deaths. For smallpox it was 1 infected 7 others, and the death rate was 30 percent. As for CoViD19, the numbers seems to be similar to the Spanish flu, 1 infected spreads it to 1.5 to 3.5 others and the death rate is (at the moment) about 3 percent. What the end result will be is yet to see, especially as the professor interviewed in the article says that 60 to 80 percent of the population on earth can become infected with CoViD19.
Professorn: Antalet döda och smittade kommer stiga snabbt

Shouldn’t they be fully disinfecting all of the aircraft that has been flying to Wuhan, even mainland China?

Meaning, specific aircraft are used for many different routes. What have they been doing with the planes that have been in Wuhan over the past month? And I’m not just talking the planes they supposedly cleaned on those evacuated flights.

Isn’t it safe (no pun intended) to assume that there are other aircraft that have transported countless passengers between different routes before they started the evacuation trips? The evacuation trips show pics of fumigation by people in hazmats suits. Just makes me wonder how safe it is to be getting on planes that could have been in and around Wuhan.

Maybe I’m thinking too much about this. Going to be flying this weekend, so I’m particularly hyper aware o_O

Aww. No problem! Sometimes I can almost feel the fear through the post. It hurts my heart a bit. :-( I'm just going to continue praying for that vaccine! In the meantime, what do the Brits say? Keep Calm and Carry On!

I was just listening to a couple on the Diamond Princess. They are from Santa Clarita, California (they own and are reporting on their radio station). The wife mentioned they were receiving hate mail, people telling them to not come home! That's so wrong, they are still healthy as of today, and are testing many times. People can cruel.

MOO
Edited to mention they are on the cruise ship.

Last edited:
The CoViD19 doesn't seem to be that infectious (yet), as the comparison charts at the end of this Swedish newspaper article illustrates. They compare CoViD19, SARS, common flu, the Spanish flu 1918, smallpox and the measles. The measles is the most infectious, every infected person infects 15 (non-vaccinated) others, but very few deaths. For smallpox it was 1 infected 7 others, and the death rate was 30 percent. As for CoViD19, the numbers seems to be similar to the Spanish flu, 1 infected spreads it to 1.5 to 3.5 others and the death rate is (at the moment) about 3 percent. What the end result will be is yet to see, especially as the professor interviewed in the article says that 60 to 80 percent of the population on earth can become infected with CoViD19.
Professorn: Antalet döda och smittade kommer stiga snabbt

The article nor him cites any studies, but what I've read and translated, he's spot on. The transmission rate appears at onset (without immunity or protection or actions that China and the world took... just at the outset) to be similar from some studies to the 1918 Spanish flu. So yes, it does have the potential to spread and spread and infect and "could" over the years come and go and come and go to infect and give herd immunity around the world... but the world is different today and has actions in place, which happened at an unbelievable rate for this new virus to humans (although some think not... to each their own opinion)

I will respectfully disagree with the first sentence that "it doesn't seem that infectious"... to me.. it is.

That is what I love here, we can respectfully agree to disagree.

I know others here are in agreement with the above post in that it is not such a big deal, but MOO the scientists etc. KNOW that this is the beginning of a disease that can grow to kill and infect and affect world economies and health care systems to the detriment just like the "everyday flu" does.

Look at all the costs to economies and deaths due to the "common influenza" that occur annually that many here are referring to as comparison.

That is what the scientists and the world and WHO is trying to avoid. They don't want to add one more flu like disease that will suck out the lives and growth and add burdens to economies which cannot fight the disease... and gets hold and outta control like the "everyday flu". Nah.. I don't agree with it's insignificant when forward looking MOO. Just look at the flu comparisons to where this is potentially headed.. MOO

Look at what already has happened in just one major large wealthy city in the world with the second largest economic engine in the world. They don't have enough beds and professionals to treat the ARDS, they are having a hard time with self containment as folks live in family units, they have shut down major cities to all traffic. They being the second largest world economy!

Yeah, I think this is infectious already, vs. the posted opinion of "not yet".

As to the definition and the next stages that some governments have atoned to having next... when WHO says the word "pandemic" (= 2 continents with out of control disease").. we may be near the precipice.

The cost is high to contain. Yet for years and decades to come.. the investment to contain and delay for a bit is worth it.

all above MOO

Last edited:
US Department of Defense instructs military to brace for a coronavirus 'pandemic' and quarantine any soldiers that have been to China this month

US military told to 'prepare for coronavirus epidemic' | Daily Mail Online

Good for them/us!

US was leading bring folks home, first to other actions that are outlined in 2010 recommendations from CDC which I postd upthread... well... MOO that's exactly what they should be doing is planning for the worst. As they have the best logistics to do such (after UPS lol, which is their motto).

The US may be getting the good publicity for doing such, and DM may just be giving US kudos, but I think other countries would be doing the same thing. Canada and others followed and/or done what US has done in concert.

Yesterday, the head of WHO met with EU folks, and I would think the major world economic leaders with military could help out. Not the same as what is in China with shooting.. but using military bases.. kicking out our servicemen of quarters which could house them and be near military hospitals. Trying to remember which were the Ebola hospitals??? One in Atlanta (near CDC), one in Northeast (near NIH).. anyway... logical they would plan to do such.

ETA: Just looked up the hospitals from Ebola, and only Nebraska area is one we have seen as to locations and military bases where COVID-19 were flown to.

per google

Biocontainment units in the U.S.
These include the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska, the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, St. Patrick Hospital and Health Sciences Center in Missoula, Montana and Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.

Last edited:
The Navy and Marine Corps messages, issued Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, reference an executive order directing U.S. Northern Command to implement the Department of Defense Global Campaign plan for Pandemic Influenza and Infectious Diseases 3551-13.

The document serves as the Pentagon’s blueprint for planning and preparing for widespread dispersion of influenza and previously unknown diseases.

U.S. Northern Command said Wednesday it was directed the Joint Staff Feb. 1 to commence “prudent planning” in their assigned role synchronizing the department’s plans for pandemic flu and disease.

US military prepping for coronavirus pandemic

Since the outbreak began in late December, individual commands, especially those in Asia, have enforced confinement of service members with a travel history to China. Earlier this month, U.S. Forces Korea began confining troops who had traveled to China for 14 days.

Also earlier this month, U.S. Indo-Pacific Command restricted all Defense Department travel to mainland China and recalled all travelers to the country home.

The Navy and Marine Corps messages, issued Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, reference an executive order directing U.S. Northern Command to implement the Department of Defense Global Campaign plan for Pandemic Influenza and Infectious Diseases 3551-13.

The document serves as the Pentagon’s blueprint for planning and preparing for widespread dispersion of influenza and previously unknown diseases.

U.S. Northern Command said Wednesday it was directed the Joint Staff Feb. 1 to commence “prudent planning” in their assigned role synchronizing the department’s plans for pandemic flu and disease.

Wow, how the heck did you find that, thanks. Back down the rabbit hole. Just did a few snippets, only 14 pages for folks that wanna view.

Here is the government document 3551-13 from Nov 19, 2018 referred to for just the Navy (ha! Marines).. Thanks! I can't believe what we here at WS can uncover. It's a 14 page document, and I would like to post all ... Down the rabbit hole again.

Subj:pANDEMIC INFLUENZAAND INFECTIOUS DISEASE POLICY
https://www.secnav.navy.mil/doni/Di... Training and Readiness Services/3500.41A.pdf Releasability and distribution:This instruction is cleared for public release and is available electronically only via Department of the Navy Issuances Web site, http://doni.documentservices.dla.m

• They are to ensure all medical treatment facilities (MTF) develop PI&ID plans, and further ensure the plans are coordinated and synchronized with host installations’PI&ID plans
  • g.Medical Services. During PI&ID operations, maintenanceof the medical and public health infrastructure will be a significant challenge. DoD has a critica lrole at the national level in fulfilling its National Response Plan responsibilities and an equally critical role at the installation level.Commanders, working through theirrespective PHEOs, should consider using the full spectrum oftheir resources to assist local governments in providing essential services to their citizens. DoD medical capabilitiesshould be requested if it is determined necessary to augment or sustain the local response in order to save lives and minimize human suffering. The time-sensitive nature of the requirements necessitates early and rapid inter-agency coordination to be effective.Restrictions on the use of military medical stockpiles and provisions of direct military care to civilians by military personnel may need to be addressed in mission planning.
  • In a PI&ID environment BUMED will set the medical reporting requirements including designating the central point of contact for the receipt of data per reference (f). All MTFs, operational units with organic medical capability, and laboratory response networklaboratories will report per reference (f) and conduct additional surveillance and reporting activities as indicated by BUMED including disease and injurysurveillance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419