Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, my husband and I are all set to self quarantine. It was a lot of work to get our prescriptions filled and make sure we have everything we need for a month. We are both in the vulnerable category. We had to cancel vacation plans and a visit to a museum exhibit. We also have to stay away from our children and their kids as all but one works with the public. They are in LE and banking. We have plans to go on walks, drives staying in the car and Netflix binging. And of course I will be on WS 24/7!!!

I pray for everyone hourly. God bless you all.

You’re in my prayers. Maybe we can start a thread for things to do at home.

Google offers virtual tours of a number of museums: Museum Views - Google Arts & Culture

The Met and the Smithsonian recently put millions of images of items from their collections online too.

Checking email....

The President thanks me for staying informed. Short sweet three liner.

Bank said, they are there to help, possible loans and they are cleaning more, so we can come visit.

Kentucky Fried Chickens says they are cleaning more, so come on and have some chicken.

Anthem says, teleheath first line of defense and testing is covered at 100%.

Victoria's Secret has a "Panty Party" for panties.Time to stock the panty!!

Bath and Body has "soaps that clean" on sale.

Chick fil A is cleaning more and has hand sanitizer.

Golden Corral has a new task force, wants sick employees to stay home and is changing the buffet utensils every 30 minutes.

Wal-Mart, has its own medical director and is cleaning stores more often and trying to keep stocked.

Big Lots, cleaning more often, now has sanitizers for customer use.

The list goes on....

Radio silence from Governor Northam, my VA house and Senate reps, and Senator Kaine and Warner.

Hum.....

Parents need to discipline their kids so that they are not all over town. I am a teacher in a district planning on closing and we are swamped with calls about child care and lunches. It is sad, but schools aren't day care centers.
The bad thing is our school district is in session today. So the kids were kept home out of fear but allowed to roam around. Go figure. If a mom is concerned enough to keep her child home a day early (closings begin Monday) she should keep the child home. Maybe have child clean his room, or read the news? Idk......

My neighbor drives bus, I asked him if school decided to let out a day early, no, but very few attended.

YAY

BREAKING: Los Angeles and San Diego unified school districts, the two largest in California, "will close, effective
Monday, March 16, in an effort to prevent the spread of Covid-19." Coronavirus live updates: Trump expected to declare emergency, LA schools to close

I'm waiting for the phone to ring telling us the Anaheim district is closing. I know its going to happen and I'm surprised it has taken this long.
Parents need to discipline their kids so that they are not all over town. I am a teacher in a district planning on closing and we are swamped with calls about child care and lunches. It is sad, but schools aren't day care centers.

Well, they are when the parents have no other choice but to go to work. I try to plan my life around the wacky school schedule, which at times is quite difficult. This just adds to that already difficult situation.

Maybe he can email Jeff Bezos with headline, I have hand sanitizers !

Like as an example I have a client with 15,000 cases of hand sanitizer at an Amazon warehouse ready and able and happy to sell at the regular retail price but Amazon has removed the listing so he can’t sell them. They’re just sitting there. He’s trying to recall them so he can sell them somewhere else but there’s a hold because the listing was removed so he can’t recall them either!

A post from a teacher of my (former) high school, where I worked as a French and Special Ed teacher, and retired from, and where I currently sub.

I heart NJ teachers, all teachers!

"Just to give folks a glimpse of what is currently happening at my school (faculty/staff have in-service today), though I'm sure it's widespread and occurring at schools across the U.S., here's what I'm witnessing:

1. Teachers working their butts off to get packets ready to distribute to students, full of worthwhile learning opportunities, should we need to close for a period of time. They're taking into account and planning for those with no computers at home, limited or no access to internet, as well as students with accommodations.

2. Counselors and CST department members running to the grocery store to buy food and other staples for students in our community who are food insecure and rely on programs like Free & Reduced Lunch for their ONLY meal of the day. Looking out my classroom window and watching them unload those groceries nearly brought me to tears. The heart of an educator is so freaking big!

3. Administrators and supervisors providing guidelines, answering questions, dealing with the state, and jumping in alongside faculty and staff to get done what needs to be accomplished. And always with one goal in mind--how can we best support students.

4. Front office staff fielding phone calls, sending out important updates, dealing with copy machine issues, supporting teachers with the myriad of questions we're asking, basically holding this entire place together! Indispensable. Without a doubt.

I'm so stinkin' proud of all my colleagues who are rising up to face the challenge of something entirely unprecedented, completing it without an instruction manual, and just trying to do what's best for the kids they see each day in the hallway, office, or classroom.

Listen, if you've ever complained about educators, said things like, "It must be nice to have off in the summer," or any of the other asinine comments we have to deal with, BACK OFF. Unless you've been in this profession, you just don't get it. In some ways, this is simply another day at the office, as educators juggle a multitude of things on a daily basis.

Thank you, school professionals, for everything you do, but most of all loving and supporting students. Stay strong. We'll weather this storm just like we always do.

Checking email....

The President thanks me for staying informed. Short sweet three liner.

Bank said, they are there to help, possible loans and they are cleaning more, so we can come visit.

Kentucky Fried Chickens says they are cleaning more, so come on and have some chicken.

Anthem says, teleheath first line of defense and testing is covered at 100%.

Victoria's Secret has a "Panty Party" for panties.Time to stock the panty!!

Bath and Body has "soaps that clean" on sale.

Chick fil A is cleaning more and has hand sanitizer.

Golden Corral has a new task force, wants sick employees to stay home and is changing the buffet utensils every 30 minutes.

Wal-Mart, has its own medical director and is cleaning stores more often and trying to keep stocked.

Big Lots, cleaning more often, now has sanitizers for customer use.

The list goes on....

Radio silence from Governor Northam, my VA house and Senate reps, and Senator Kaine and Warner.

Hum.....

So worried about their bottom line. I can’t fathom going to a restaurant. A doctor on Anderson’s special last night even said the virus could linger in our dirty laundry basket. she was asked if it washed out of our laundry, “yes, it does but you should use disposable liners on laundry basket.”
Okay, fine. Then we know it is on tables, chairs, booths, menus, condiment bottles (yuk), restrooms, door handles, etc. why why why risk it?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-covid-19-1.5496367
LIVE NOW

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will warn Canadians against all international travel and is considering tightening the border to some international travellers.

During an interview with Radio-Canada's Montreal morning show on Friday,

Canada's Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam confirmed that Canada is now advising against all international travel to limit the spread of the virus. She warned that travellers could be subject to another country's travel or quarantine restrictions, and if they become sick, could be in a health care system that is inferior to Canada's system.

''During that news conference, ministers announced a series of new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:

• International flights will only be permitted to land at a smaller number of airports. Those locations have not yet been announced.
  • A ban on boats and cruise ships carrying more than 500 people from docking at Canadian ports until July.
  • A recommendation that all travellers arriving in Canada from international points self-isolate for 14 days.''
Does anyone wonder if the 6th and 7th in line to the English throne, Prince Harry and Archie, have been moved off to a remote Canadian position recently as a precaution? Have we been scammed about the whole family drama? It seems to me that the elderly Queen and her husband are at high risk with CV19, and even heir apparant Prince Charles is 71 years old.

Does anyone wonder if the 6th and 7th in line to the English throne, Prince Harry and Archie, have been moved off to a remote Canadian position recently as a precaution? Have we been scammed about the whole family drama? It seems to me that the elderly Queen and her husband are at high risk with CV19, and even heir apparant Prince Charles is 71 years old.
Hi @SandyQLS lat night I mentioned Harry’s pal, Mrs, Trudeau is positive.

Just a friendly suggestion for those who are tired and having trouble sleeping. We've been doing intermittent fasting for 2 years. We only eat between 11AM and 7PM. We go to sleep faster, sleep soundly and wake up refreshed every morning. When someone eats after 7PM, their body is working all night digesting that food so it really doesn't get the rest needed. This will also help to stretch our food rations during this pandemic IMO.

My biggest concern, right here...

Coronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills — and that's the real global emergency

Coronavirus's economic danger is exponentially greater than its health risks to the public. If the virus does directly affect your life, it is most likely to be through stopping you going to work, forcing your employer to make you redundant, or bankrupting your business.

The trillions of dollars wiped from financial markets this week will be just the beginning, if our governments do not step in. And if President Trump continues to stumble in his handling of the situation, it may well affect his chances of re-election. Joe Biden in particular has identified Covid-19 as a weakness for Trump, promising “steady, reassuring” leadership during America’s hour of need.

Worldwide, Covid-19 has killed 4,389 with 31 US deaths as of today. But it will economically cripple millions, especially since the epidemic has formed a perfect storm with stock market crashes, an oil war between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and the spilling over of an actual war in Syria into another potential migrant crisis.

We may look back on coronavirus as the moment when the threads that hold the global economy together came unstuck; and startups and growing businesses like mine could end up paying the price.

Just as important as fighting the virus — if not more important — is vaccinating our economies against the incoming pandemic of panic. Human suffering can come in the form of illness and death. But it can also be experienced as not being able to pay the bills or losing your home.

Small businesses in particular are struggling as supply chains dry up, leaving them without products or essential materials. Factory closures in China have led to a record low in the country’s Purchasing Manager’s Index which measures manufacturing output. China is the world’s largest exporter and is responsible for a third of global manufacturing, so China’s problem is everyone’s problem — even in the midst of a trade war between the White House and Beijing.

All this makes it even more worrying that governments continue to see this as a health crisis, not an economic one. It is time the economists took over from the doctors, before the real pandemic spreads.

It is difficult to imagine Italy not entering a recession (the world’s ninth largest economy is now on lockdown). It is also difficult to imagine that failing to affect Europe and its largest trading partner, the United States. And it is impossible to see how any of this will not add up to a global downturn, unless governments step in faster and harder than they did 12 years ago during the last financial crisis.

The stakes are higher this time, because there seems to be a coordinated effort to economically hurt many Western countries, and warn them away from the aggressive trade policies that Trump has so enthusiastically adopted.

Although China bore the brunt of the virus’s economic and human cost, many in Beijing will see a silver lining in the weakening of the US economy, and a distraction from Trump’s trade wars that appeared to be escalating with no end in sight.

Almost perfectly synchronized with the coronavirus, a Russia-Saudi oil war has erupted. In the short-term, both Moscow and Riyadh can afford the 30 per cent overnight drop in the oil price. But America’s shale gas business cannot: The more expensive process of fracking means that much of the US oil sector will simply not exist if oil prices stay at historic lows, leading to shut downs, job losses and perhaps even state-level recessions.

President Trump has pushed through overdue payroll tax cuts and help for hourly workers — measures that will help both employers and employees survive. In the UK, Chancellor Rishi Sunak today unveiled a ‘Coronavirus Budget’. But everyone needs to think bigger if they want to properly deal with how this new factor changes the status quo.

This is about much more than coronavirus, oil prices, or even the global economy. This is about the balance of power between East and West. The epicenter of this has been, for the last 10 years, Syria. After a decade of conflict on the ground, the face-off seems to have now escalated from proxy war to economic conflict.

The emerging superpowers of Russia and China witnessed what many saw as American irrelevance in Syria. And they are now trying to cement their vision of a truly multi-polar world. Rather than allowing US ally Saudi Arabia to lead the oil markets through the OPEC cartel, Russia and China want to reshape global markets — and power balances — to their advantage.

To survive these shifts, the US, UK and others will need to protect the future of their businesses, large and small, and look for opportunities to benefit from the new economic world order, not deny it. Ignoring these changes will be even more damaging than any flu pandemic.

Did the same for my dear daughter and my good neighbor in denial. Last evening, he said I went to the grocery store to stock up on a few things and there's no alcohol or toilet paper, but he was able to get one of the last quarts of milk.
When I started to stock up DD stopped by to visit and thought I'd hit a big sale. She immediately began to "shop" from my stockpile. I always have plenty and she is use to shopping at Mommiemart but that day I stopped her and explained it was emergency stock. She laughed at me, stated I was over reacting, now she can't find toilet paper or hand sanitizer. I'm dispersing in small quantities.

I just received a call from a friend who lives a couple of blocks from me. We are both over 65 and are planning to self isolate until this thing settles down. He called to let me know that he had bought supplies and food in very large quantities and if I should run low to give him a call. He will bring it over and put it on my porch. He also bought supplies for his very elderly next door neighbor who is in physical and financial dire straits. I think (and hope) that we see a lot of this happening during this crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria