Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its like a wildfire hopscotching through a neighborhood, scorching one side o the street, leaving the other untouched...so scary, so unpredictable...

i would have used the tornado analogy( but we know why tornadoes do this, its because of sub vortices in multi vortex tornadoes) but wildfire works as well doesn't seem to have any order to some sort scale to work off of

We have to be "sicker" to get tested:

The people in my household, we all assume we have the regular flu sweeping through our house.

I was achy and weak but got over it, another person in my house had cough, severe headaches and throwing up and weak, and now he is much better. Third person in my house has a sore mouth and bad sore throat and is achy but is doing well.

Wouldn't it be nice if tests were available to just be able to go out and get one?

Then you know for sure. Otherwise everyone just thinks they have the flu, which is what we think.

I'm 95% certain it's the flu, we haven't been anywhere for weeks except for essentials. But wouldn't it be nice to know FOR SURE?

Get a test for the flu instead. Even if you got Covid-19 test, all you would be told is to self-quarantine. My son had the Type A-flu last month. He said it is the sickest he's ever felt in his life. He had flown to Palm Springs ten days before he got sick.

A real estate agent died last week in Omaha, NE. He had a cough but he was on a blood pressure med which has coughing as a side-effect. He was short of breath but he attributed that to his serious heart condition. He died in his sleep. His family found out he tested positive from Covid-19. His son immediately notified friends and also the media so people could self-quarantine.

That's really young. She always looked so healthy too. They were showing pictures of her on CBS-LA when she went into hospital about 10 days ago. Presumably, she had access to a ventilator, given her age. But the lethality of this virus in some people is unbelievable.

I wonder if hers was the first strain or the second strain. US has more of the first strain, which might be less lethal than the second - if only we were ready to do research.
A New York physician just said on "60 Minutes" that Covid-19 patients need to be on ventilators about two weeks before they show signs of getting better. They have had patients come off the ventilators and consider them "wins." Her youngest patient who is a win is 21 yo.

Get a test for the flu instead. Even if you got Covid-19 test, all you would be told is to self-quarantine. My son had the Type A-flu last month. He said it is the sickest he's ever felt in his life. He had flown to Palm Springs ten days before he got sick.

A real estate agent died last week in Omaha, NE. He had a cough but he was on a blood pressure med which has coughing as a side-effect. He was short of breath but he attributed that to his serious heart condition. He died in his sleep. His family found out he tested positive from Covid-19. His son immediately notified friends and also the media so people could self-quarantine.
Your right. A flu test is easier to obtain and if it's positive, there you go!

The Dr. on-call (through my family Dr.) said to call back if anyone in the household had distressed breathing which means no test for covid-19 unless our symptoms took a turn for the worst.

Thankx for mentioning the flu test...;)

60 minutes 7 pm EST CBS

New York doctors say ICUs are filling up with COVID-19 patients, many on life support

Scott Pelley reports on health care workers battling the pandemic and the efforts to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed with patients. The story will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, Sunday, March 29 at 7 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

Nowhere is the race against the coronavirus as intense as in hospital ICUs in New York, where overworked doctors and nurses fight to keep COVID-19 victims alive. Scott Pelley reports on ICU doctors gallantly battling the pandemic with diminishing resources as their hospitals approach capacity. He also speaks to Lieutenant General Todd Semonite, commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who vows to build a makeshift facility with 2,900 beds in New York City's Javits Convention Center in time to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Pelley spoke to Dr. Mangala Narasimhan at Northwell Health's Long Island Jewish Medical Center. "I have 18 beds in one ICU full of people on ventilators, completely sedated, unable to open their eyes or interact or talk to their families," says Narasimhan, the hospital's chief of critical care. "And we are feeding them through tubes, and we are completely keeping them paralyzed so that we can properly ventilate them. It's our sickest patients, and they're in every single room of our ICU."

The New York metropolitan area is the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo asked the president for help from the Army Corps of Engineers. Semonite was tasked with converting a convention center into a hospital and fast.

New York doctors say ICUs are filling up with COVID-19 patients, many on life support

60 minutes 7 pm EST CBS

Nowhere is the race against the coronavirus as intense as in hospital ICUs in New York, where overworked doctors and nurses fight to keep COVID-19 victims alive. Scott Pelley reports on ICU doctors gallantly battling the pandemic with diminishing resources as their hospitals approach capacity. He also speaks to Lieutenant General Todd Semonite, commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who vows to build a makeshift facility with 2,900 beds in New York City's Javits Convention Center in time to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Pelley spoke to Dr. Mangala Narasimhan at Northwell Health's Long Island Jewish Medical Center. "I have 18 beds in one ICU full of people on ventilators, completely sedated, unable to open their eyes or interact or talk to their families," says Narasimhan, the hospital's chief of critical care. "And we are feeding them through tubes, and we are completely keeping them paralyzed so that we can properly ventilate them. It's our sickest patients, and they're in every single room of our ICU."

The New York metropolitan area is the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo asked the president for help from the Army Corps of Engineers. Semonite was tasked with converting a convention center into a hospital and fast.

Very informative! Watching now. Two trends they are noticing is that patients tend to be obese and men are more likely.

If you don't believe its bad out there...give a listen to the Brooklyn EMS scanner out of NYC....its been nonstop "difficulty breathing" for hours now...a 33 year old, a 60 year old, an 80 year old..on and on...Brooklyn Fire and Hatzolah EMS Dispatch - Live Audio Feed Web Player Live Audio Feed

It's like a Sci-Fi movie come to life. I've been sitting in my house for 4 days now (that's 4 days NOT going to a store for supplies because every day I do I have to reset the clock).

I don't really know what's wrong with us. I don't know why so many of us are in denial. Are we watching the same news? Have we become so inured to real tragedy we don't even recognize when it's happening in real time?

It's like we're all 16 again when the only time mortality seemed to bite us in the *advertiser censored* was when a school chum drowned. Or how we slow down for maybe two minutes after driving by a terrible accident then resume our regular speed.

Morning all!

It terrifies almost all of us who live in the Albany, Dougherty, Lee county areas since it's the hotspot for the entire state of Georgia.

The ones who refuses to stay home will be the ones who continue to spread it with many being spring breakers who flooded the beaches, and now have returned to their families.

One of our grandsons is a RN at Phoebe. He told us yesterday they had a 48 year old man with no underlying conditions who was diagnosed with the virus. They were able to stabilize him. Then yesterday morning he all of a sudden took a turn for the worse, and passed away. :(

Phoebe is thinking about making temporary hospital rooms in the parking garage areas since they are filled with patients who have the virus. Many are being life flighted out to other areas.

One of our granddaughters is also a cardiologist PA at Phoebe, and all department healthcare workers are having to pitch in trying to take care of the major influx of patients.

One of our best friends lost one of his workers who died from the virus last week.

We have been self isolating the past couple of weeks or more getting out only when it's absolutely necessary, but constantly worrying if we will be among those who may have it.

My hubby went, and bought groceries this morning, and to be extra safe we wiped each item down before putting them away.

Please be safe everyone. We are all in this together. It's going to take every one of us to survive this pandemic. Not just 85% doing everything they can to protect themselves, and all others but 100%.

It's the 15%, etc., I worry about the most. Those who refuse to stay at home as much as possible. 15% of 330 million people is a huge amount of people that will keep the virus spreading.

Jmho

@oceanblueeyes I remembered you talking about your hospital, and lo, and behold, Phoebe Putney was on our local news the other night. They were talking about them being the epicenter of Corona in Georgia. I will pray for your family members and community, esp. those on the medical "front lines".

It's like a Sci-Fi movie come to life. I've been sitting in my house for 4 days now (that's 4 days NOT going to a store for supplies because every day I do I have to reset the clock).

I don't really know what's wrong with us. I don't know why so many of us are in denial. Are we watching the same news? Have we become so inured to real tragedy we don't even recognize when it's happening in real time?

It's like we're all 16 again when the only time mortality seemed to bite us in the *advertiser censored* was when a school chum drowned. Or how we slow down for maybe two minutes after driving by a terrible accident then resume our regular speed.
That’s what seems to be going on. A lot of people simply don’t believe this will happen to them, or to someone they know.

They see the horror stories on the news, but it doesn’t have much of an impact on them.

There’s also plenty of people who live in blissful ignorance, and don’t spend much time following world events (as hard to believe as that is in this day and age).

People like that are not only dangerous to others, but will likely face a wake up call at some point.

The longer this goes on, and the more people infected, the likelihood increases that you will be touched by this (if not yourself, someone you know or love).

Take it seriously, or we all pay a price.

hearing about the deaths of our medical and first responders, gets to me more then anything. Never
Have we needed each and every one of these brave people more.
Makes you wonder how it will affect our young people and their plans for their vocation. Will there be more who want to be doctors, nurses, scientists, police, EMTs or will they be afraid?

Last edited:
What the heck??? I am glad I dont live anywhere near Fort Lauderdale--
If I did I would be beside myself with anger
While I agree that passengers were reckless taking a cruise during a pandemic, I wouldn't want anyone to be trapped on a boat with the virus and die. I have made many mistakes in my life, and if my family members were on the ship, I would be so worried for them. Therefore, I believe the passengers have to get off somewhere to receive care, and hope they are quarantined. Hopefully, if this ever happens again, the cruise lines will stop cruising. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels