Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adults and their temper tantrums.:rolleyes:

"RALEIGH, N.C. —

Comments made on social media, ahead of Monday's ReOpen NC march, are raising concerns of safety and violence, WRAL-TV reports.

Adam Smith, the husband of ReOpen NC's co-founder Ashley Smith, said reopening North Carolina to protect businesses and constitutional rights are issues some should be willing to kill over.

"Do we want to pick up arms? Do we want to kill anybody? Of course not. Nobody wants to take lives. We don’t want to kill anybody. But, are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay our lives down? We have to say yes," he said in a video post.

After seeing the response on social media, Adam said his words were taken out of context."

Comments made ahead of Memorial Day ReOpen NC protests

Idiotic and horrifying. ETA: JMO!

Me, too. My doctor finally talked me into trying a low dose of an antidepressant at the beginning of January. She thought it would help with my anxiety and insomnia. I was lying awake most nights for hours, worrying obsessively about various things, family members, etc. This had been going on for years, actually. And this was pre-COVID!

I'm grateful that she convinced me to try it, because now I rarely lie awake and worry during the night for long. I am sleeping much better (most of the time). Of course it's hard not to feel distressed and depressed from time to time, due to all the horrible news. MOO

I don't know if it helps, and I sure don't know the situation at the Botanical Gardens, but being outdoors with social distancing and a mask is pretty safe. Depends on your own age and health too, of course.

I'm finding that I can't stand my N95 mask for very long. So I'm switching to a layered fabric mask with a filter insert - and of course, planning to stay well away from people when I go to the park or beach (which I too am not quite ready for).

Did you drive past the Gardens to see how many were there? That's been my first step.

One park near my daughter's house was remarkably uncrowded - the park we usually go to...is a zoo. It should go back to normal some day. Maybe. If no one is comfortable going back to gyms, I guess there will be more joggers - but there's a lot of empty grass that hopefully will not be crowded.

It is really hard for me to leave the house, too. Even though I know there's virtually no risk to walking around the block (I'm going to do that this afternoon). And I'm trying to find ways to get more steps in the back yard - but many days, I just feel hopeless.

Good news: US death rate has declined significantly (but may bump up a little tomorrow, as weekend data collection is often stalled until the first work day, which is understandable). But still, I think it's generally going down. The new case numbers are still a little worrying, and the states that aren't keeping track are the most worrying.

I'm glad your son is getting out of DC. Big urban areas are just so scary right now.
N95s with valves are pretty comfy. Of course they only protect the wearer. But they are comfy as they allow you to exhale freely. I plan to put a summer scarf over it when in a crowd.

WHO temporarily suspends trial of hydroxychloroquine over safety concerns

WHO temporarily suspends trial of hydroxychloroquine over safety concerns

This must be in response to the Lancet publication last Friday reporting on increased incidence of arrhythmia and increased deaths among patients using the malaria and antibiotic drugs compared with the placebo group.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext#seccestitle10

Protesters Hang Effigy Of Ky. Governor At State Capitol, Sparking Outrage | 89.3 WFPL News Louisville

"A rally at the Kentucky State Capitol on Sunday ended with “several people” hanging an effigy of Gov. Andy Beshear from a tree and then marching to the governor’s mansion, chanting “Come out Andy,” according to tweets from a Courier Journal reporter.

The governor lives in the mansion with his wife and two children.

Reporter Sarah Ladd sent out a string of tweets from the rally late Sunday afternoon, including a photo of the effigy with a noose around its neck. "

This must be in response to the Lancet publication last Friday reporting on increased incidence of arrhythmia and increased deaths among patients using the malaria and antibiotic drugs compared with the placebo group.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext#seccestitle10

Replying to my own post to add another link with more info about the WHO's pause of the trial:
WHO temporarily halts trial of hydroxychloroquine over safety concerns

'A significant milestone': There are no new confirmed deaths from Covid-19 in Ireland today

TODAY IS THE first day since mid-March that there hasn’t been a confirmed death in Ireland from Covid-19.

The latest figures were provided in the daily update from the Department of Health.

The first death from Covid-19 was reported in Ireland on 11 March. Since then, 1,606 people have sadly lost their lives from the virus.

The last day when no death was reported here was 21 March.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that we had reached a “significant milestone” today and that it was a “day of hope”.

The number of deaths continued to rise sharply along with confirmed cases until mid-to-late April when these figures began to stabilise.

In a statement, the department said that a further 59 cases of coronavirus have also been confirmed here, bringing the total number of cases to 24,698.

Last week, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said that the virus had been “effectively extinguished from the community” as the Irish public had adhered to the Covid-19 restrictions in place since March.

Speaking this evening, Holohan said that the zero deaths being reported today is “consistent with our overall pattern of reduction”.
That's great news. I hope we in UK are not far behind you.

Replying to my own post to add another link with more info about the WHO's pause of the trial:
WHO temporarily halts trial of hydroxychloroquine over safety concerns

From your link -
"The WHO will take at least another week, perhaps two, to gather more data, Swaminathan said.

"We want to use hydroxychloroquine if it is safe, if it reduces mortality, reduces the length of hospitalization, without increasing the adverse events," she added. "So this is a temporary measure."

Tedros told patients taking the medication for its well-established uses beyond COVID-19 that they shouldn't worry.

"This concern relates to the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in COVID-19," he said. "I wish to reiterate that this drug is accepted as generally safe for use in patients with autoimmune diseases and malaria." "

Protesters Hang Effigy Of Ky. Governor At State Capitol, Sparking Outrage | 89.3 WFPL News Louisville

"A rally at the Kentucky State Capitol on Sunday ended with “several people” hanging an effigy of Gov. Andy Beshear from a tree and then marching to the governor’s mansion, chanting “Come out Andy,” according to tweets from a Courier Journal reporter.

The governor lives in the mansion with his wife and two children.

Reporter Sarah Ladd sent out a string of tweets from the rally late Sunday afternoon, including a photo of the effigy with a noose around its neck. "
This is disgusting behaviour, way OTT. The police need to pull that down and disband the protestors. Think what his wife and kids must be going thru - they must be terrified. Just vote him out next time.

We need access to the N95 masks. I know they aren't 100% protection but they're pretty darn close. If we all had them I think we could go out occasionally without the fear we have without them. Obviously there's places and people we should avoid with or without an N95 but I really think it would help us to get out when we need to.

We most definitely do need N95 masks and a reputable source that isn’t charging $35+ each to purchase them from. If government and hospital buyers are getting ripped off, how are we supposed to judge what is a scam.
I have to go to grocery store tomorrow. Dreading it. Have been getting veggies from a great place that delivers “imperfects” for a fair price and tried curbside at local grocery chain for other items but man my order was, shall I say, not good. Buying for 2 households so I’ll probably have to make 2 trips. Where’s my beer...

From the article above:
After USA TODAY Network first reported Jones' removal from her position in charge of the Florida COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard she created, she confirmed, as reported by CBS-12 in West Palm Beach that she was fired because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

Great: now in the open, for all to see.
Why believe the claims of someone who was fired? She also claims she wasn't being paid. I find it very hard to believe her.

JMO

I don’t know the state of your parents health, obvs, but there are plenty of oldsters out and about here with and without masks. Mostly I still see masks on some customers at the grocery store, but I see a LOT of people who clearly are in their 70’s or maybe even older, at the grocery and out at other places with no masks. About half the people where we were last night were over 65. No masks and seeming not a care in the world. Idk maybe they don’t watch the msm, but that seems unlikely.

Maybe you can send your parents here?!
Respectfully, no thanks! I prefer them to be where salons and restaurants are closed for a couple more weeks. Their local town has had relatively low numbers but they are not taking any chances. Plus, thats our government advice.

Those people you see over 65? They are considered high risk vulnerable here in the uk (over 70s at least) and the government advice is to shield. They do have a care in the world, a huge one IMO. People such as your good self who are taking few precautions because you're not worried (from your posts), are mixing with them in the grocery store. Let alone half of where you were last night.

In fairness, I dont know where you are ofc and maybe you have had zero deaths and no new cases in the last two weeks. So maybe for your local older people there is no risk.

Spain to stop quarantining arrivals from 1 July

Spain to stop quarantining arrivals from 1 July

52 mins ago
Foreign visitors to Spain will no longer have to undergo a two-week quarantine from 1 July, the government has announced.

It said the measure had been finalised in a cabinet meeting on Monday.

Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya had previously said the requirement would be lifted in July, without giving a date.
Spain normally attracts 80 million tourists a year, with the sector providing more than 12% of the country's GDP.

Opening up the holiday market again before the summer season is over is seen as crucial to the Spanish economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther