Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a conundrum as perhaps that strain which is tracked is merely pointing to a "patient zero" who began that mutation. vs. that mutation is more infectious.

That's where my thoughts are.

MOO

Maybe. But for that one patient's infections to overtake the number of the other 2 main strains is quite a feat. It would mean that each person s/he gave it to is also more infectious than other people.

Earlier, there were 2 other strains (known to have differences in infectiousness) and one of those consistently infected more than the other. Now a third one is consistently infecting more than the other two.

Covid, in its original form, was a bit more unstable in air, as I understand it. I'm guessing this new one is a descendant of the first European mutant, which lives longer in air...

Justin Turner 'emphatically refused to comply' after COVID-19 positive, says MLB
More at links
Turner had been instructed by MLB security not to leave the clubhouse, but he refused, went onto the field, took pictures holding the trophy, hugged teammates, and even was in the front row of the team picture, with no mask, sitting alongside manager Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor.

MLB statement: Justin Turner was 'wrong and put everyone at risk' by celebrating on field
Major League Baseball plans to investigate the events and could punish Turner and the Dodgers for their actions. The league vowed to strictly punish any players of employees who violated its protocols related to COVID-19 during the season.

Betts supports Turner's return to field after positive COVID-19 test
"He's part of the team. Forget all that. He's part of the team. We're not excluding him from anything," Betts said, according to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register.

(Eta- Wow. That’s just fantastic Mookie. Just great. )

snipped for focus

Oh my gosh. I kept hearing about this Justin Turner person, but didn't understand the terrible details of what he did. What is wrong with people? Betts is just plain stupid, but Turner needs his head examined.

Immunity to coronavirus lingers for months, study finds

"While some reports have come out saying antibodies to this virus go away quickly, we have found just the opposite — that more than 90% of people who were mildly or moderately ill produce an antibody response strong enough to neutralize the virus, and the response is maintained for many months," Florian Krammer, a professor of vaccinology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who led the study team, said in a statement.

Immunity to coronavirus lingers for months, study finds

Justin Turner 'emphatically refused to comply' after COVID-19 positive, says MLB
More at links
Turner had been instructed by MLB security not to leave the clubhouse, but he refused, went onto the field, took pictures holding the trophy, hugged teammates, and even was in the front row of the team picture, with no mask, sitting alongside manager Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor.

MLB statement: Justin Turner was 'wrong and put everyone at risk' by celebrating on field
Major League Baseball plans to investigate the events and could punish Turner and the Dodgers for their actions. The league vowed to strictly punish any players of employees who violated its protocols related to COVID-19 during the season.

Betts supports Turner's return to field after positive COVID-19 test
"He's part of the team. Forget all that. He's part of the team. We're not excluding him from anything," Betts said, according to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register.

(Eta- Wow. That’s just fantastic Mookie. Just great. )

‘Heartbreak’: NH high school soccer team forced to forfeit tournament after district learns other teams will not wear masks
More at link
NEWMARKET, N.H. (WHDH) - High schoolers on the boys and girls varsity soccer teams in Newmarket, New Hampshire were forced to forfeit their spots in an upcoming tournament this week after the school district learned the opposing teams would not be wearing face masks.
I was so disappointed when I heard about this. I'm a lifelong Dodger fan, I was over the moon that they won the series after so, so many years! I knew Turner had been removed from the game but there was no reason given at the time of removal. Turner was also one of my favorite players.
After seeing him on the field, mask off and even kissing his wife on the lips, my feelings for him have changed. This whole thing has taken much of the pleasure out of the win.

COVID is causing more than just a pandemic.

“The worst atrocities come from fear, not hate. Because people think they’re good,” he said. “And they can justify incredible atrocious violence to themselves on the basis that it is defensive…you need a belief that some other group is encroaching on your territory. And then you need to have lost confidence in the ability of the state to act as an impartial and neutral protector. We’re already losing that confidence because of COVID.”

Is the U.S. Already in a New Civil War?

That was a long read--but a good one. I've wondered many times if the pressure of the pandemic, shutdowns, fear, might be making people more violent. I know they say domestic abuse and child abuse are up, but so many urban areas are seeing widespread rioting, looting, and violence that isn't common in normal years.

I'm not sure a civil war will break out but I do hope they get a handle on the destruction and the violence soon.

I was so disappointed when I heard about this. I'm a lifelong Dodger fan, I was over the moon that they won the series after so, so many years! I knew Turner had been removed from the game but there was no reason given at the time of removal. Turner was also one of my favorite players.
After seeing him on the field, mask off and even kissing his wife on the lips, my feelings for him have changed. This whole thing has taken much of the pleasure out of the win.

I think a lot of people are probably still kissing their spouses, even if they don't do it in public.

LONDON — A variant of the coronavirus that is believed to have originated in Spain has spread across Europe and now accounts for most of the new cases reported in several countries in the region, according to the findings of a new study.

The research, which is due to published on Thursday and has not been peer reviewed, details how an international team of scientists has closely monitored the coronavirus through its genetic mutations.

Each variant of the coronavirus has its own genetic signature, meaning it can be traced back to the place it first emerged.

It says a new variant of the disease, identified as 20A.EU1 by researchers from Switzerland and Spain, was first observed in Spain in June. The new variant has been recorded in Spain at frequencies of above 40% since July, the study said.

A new coronavirus variant is seen spreading across Europe, research says

Additionally, from the above link:

“The findings of the study indicate that people returning from vacations in Spain may have played a role in spreading the new variant of the virus across Europe.

It also raises questions about whether a recent upsurge in the number of new reported Covid-19 infections across the region could have been capped by stricter travel measures and improved screening at airports and other transport hubs.

“It is currently unclear whether this variant is spreading because of a transmission advantage of the virus or whether high incidence in Spain followed by dissemination through tourists is sufficient to explain the rapid rise in multiple countries,” the study said.“

This could be problematic
https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/...-tips-on-how-to-mitigate-ransomware-risk.html
FBI warns of imminent cyberattack threat on US hospitals
More at link
The federal government warned health care providers this week of what it describes as an “increased and imminent” cybercrime threat on U.S. hospitals, urging medical systems to take proper precautions to protect their networks against ransomware attacks.

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a reportWednesday claiming they have credible information indicating a looming threat of cyberattacks on health care providers with Trickbot and Ryuk malware.

The federal agencies pointed out addressing these issues is expected to be particularly challenging given the coronavirus pandemic, so administrators of hospitals and other health care organizations will need to balance the risk when determining their cybersecurity investments.

Last edited:
This could be problematic
FBI warns of imminent cyberattack threat on US hospitals
More at link
The federal government warned health care providers this week of what it describes as an “increased and imminent” cybercrime threat on U.S. hospitals, urging medical systems to take proper precautions to protect their networks against ransomware attacks.

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a reportWednesday claiming they have credible information indicating a looming threat of cyberattacks on health care providers with Trickbot and Ryuk malware.

Horrible!

Last edited:
Additionally, from the above link:

“The findings of the study indicate that people returning from vacations in Spain may have played a role in spreading the new variant of the virus across Europe.

It also raises questions about whether a recent upsurge in the number of new reported Covid-19 infections across the region could have been capped by stricter travel measures and improved screening at airports and other transport hubs.

“It is currently unclear whether this variant is spreading because of a transmission advantage of the virus or whether high incidence in Spain followed by dissemination through tourists is sufficient to explain the rapid rise in multiple countries,” the study said.“

I wonder what the incidence is, in England (specifically England, not the rest of the UK). Because about 2 months ago, there was a big surge of English holiday-makers coming into Spain (it would help to know where the distribution is, in Spain). If so, then England probably now has that variant too - and the rest of UK will gradually get it (the English were traveling outside of UK almost exclusively as soon as they could - flights were packed).

Colorado:

10 Denver metro schools report new COVID-19 outbreaks

Summit County reports 6th-highest incidence rate of COVID-19 in Colorado as officials prepare for further restrictions

How Colorado's COVID Is Spreading: Commerce City Family Handles Four Cases

'I Don't Even Recognize Myself': Coloradans Share COVID-19 Survivor Stories

“”I was in the hospital for 91 days. I was on a ventilator for 65 days… and I was on ECMO for 15 days of those 65 days,” she said, adding ECMO is like a life-support machine.

Gould said she was hospitalized in early April, believing she got sick following a flight home from Atlanta before restrictions were in place. She said a passenger sitting behind her was coughing the entire flight. Her husband was the first to get the virus, she said, then she developed a cough.

“After three days it became clear I wasn’t improving, and I had to be intubated,” Gould said. “My lungs felt like concrete.”

She eventually had to be airlifted UCHealth where she was put on an ECMO machine. Gould didn’t think she would make it.

“My husband had to have my living will in front of him at all times,” she said.

The coronavirus has taken a nasty toll on Gould. She said she was a healthy, active person pre-COVID, but now is struggling with scarred lungs, liver damage, weakened muscles, even significant hair loss.

“I don’t even recognize myself,” she said.“

-more at link

Governor Cuomo Announces Orange County Micro-Cluster Focus Area Meets Metrics to Exit "Red Zone"

“The governor also announced that counties, via their local departments of health, will now be allowed to require that mask mandates be extended at all times in both public and private schools under their jurisdictions.

"In terms of adjustments of the micro-clusters, Orange County has made very good progress," Governor Cuomo said. "In Orange County we're going to change the red zone to an orange zone. In Orange County, the red zone was at 12 percent three weeks ago. It's now 2 percent, so that's obviously dramatic progress. And the hospitalization number is flat. The red zone will go to orange and the yellow zone will stay yellow. There has been progress in other areas in micro-clusters, but nothing at this point that would cause us to change any classifications this week. We'll watch it over the next week for possible alterations. Nationwide, our positivity rate is now the second lowest in the United States of America. We've actually made progress nationwide. We are 1.3 percent and in the Johns Hopkins nationwide state survey we are number 2 from the bottom, second lowest rate in the nation. God bless New Yorkers. But let's stay vigilant because as we are seeing with the surges around the country, this thing is not over."”

—-

God Bless this man for his spectacular daily briefings and continued leadership. Can you imagine how bad it would be in NY had he not helped lead his state into proper mitigation and such low positivity rates? This man deserves a medal imo.

Last edited:
That was a long read--but a good one. I've wondered many times if the pressure of the pandemic, shutdowns, fear, might be making people more violent. I know they say domestic abuse and child abuse are up, but so many urban areas are seeing widespread rioting, looting, and violence that isn't common in normal years.

I'm not sure a civil war will break out but I do hope they get a handle on the destruction and the violence soon.
The rioting, looting and violence has nothing to do with covid. IMO
I’ve been watching where we’re headed for too long.

I was hoping to see some other low-tech options in that article (unless I missed them?) We all *should* know the regime of handwashing, social distancing, etc, by now.

It is so evident that mask-wearing is just not working among too many people in the US - masks are politicised to such an extent that some people are even wearing masks with their political affiliation stamped broadly across their mask!

So I was hoping that other low-tech options were being sought. The rapid 'spit' test indicators used prior to admission at venues, for example. The covid sniffer dogs at airports, as another example.

Seems it is going to be a long wait for a vaccine. Why is no-one going into lateral thinking mode?
I’m in Texas and I’ve only seen a few here and there not wearing masks, most people are. In Arkansas they seem to be doing even better, not sure why.

As far as the political masks, keep in mind there is lot of politics going on here right now, so it’s just another way of expressing their views and standing up for what they believe in, i.e., Freedom of Speech. Personally I’m just happy that they are wearing a mask :)

Recently also saw some masks that are Halloween oriented, so maybe sooner than later we’ll see some that say Merry Christmas and Here Comes Santa Claus. :) Anyway, maybe it’s good people are having fun with masks, especially if it keeps them wearing one.

I’m in Texas and I’ve only seen a few here and there not wearing masks, most people are. In Arkansas they seem to be doing even better, not sure why.

As far as the political masks, keep in mind there is lot of politics going on here right now, so it’s just another way of expressing their views and standing up for what they believe in, i.e., Freedom of Speech. Personally I’m just happy that they are wearing a mask :)

Recently also saw some masks that are Halloween oriented, so maybe sooner than later we’ll see some that say Merry Christmas and Here Comes Santa Claus. :) Anyway, maybe it’s good people are having fun with masks, especially if it keeps them wearing one.

i have a bunch of Steelers masks and masks from Vida but I need this one:

Hormel is releasing bacon-scented face masks because that's just what 2020 needed - CNN
201022131625-bacon-face-mask-exlarge-169.jpg

Colorado:

10 Denver metro schools report new COVID-19 outbreaks

Summit County reports 6th-highest incidence rate of COVID-19 in Colorado as officials prepare for further restrictions

How Colorado's COVID Is Spreading: Commerce City Family Handles Four Cases

'I Don't Even Recognize Myself': Coloradans Share COVID-19 Survivor Stories

“”I was in the hospital for 91 days. I was on a ventilator for 65 days… and I was on ECMO for 15 days of those 65 days,” she said, adding ECMO is like a life-support machine.

Gould said she was hospitalized in early April, believing she got sick following a flight home from Atlanta before restrictions were in place. She said a passenger sitting behind her was coughing the entire flight. Her husband was the first to get the virus, she said, then she developed a cough.

“After three days it became clear I wasn’t improving, and I had to be intubated,” Gould said. “My lungs felt like concrete.”

She eventually had to be airlifted UCHealth where she was put on an ECMO machine. Gould didn’t think she would make it.

“My husband had to have my living will in front of him at all times,” she said.

The coronavirus has taken a nasty toll on Gould. She said she was a healthy, active person pre-COVID, but now is struggling with scarred lungs, liver damage, weakened muscles, even significant hair loss.

“I don’t even recognize myself,” she said.“

-more at link

Interesting article. Can we forward this to the White House?
White House lists ending Covid-19 pandemic as an accomplishment despite cases spiking to record levels - CNNPolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member