Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
145 employees infected by coronavirus outbreak at Washington state Costco
I think the drug addicts in those facilities will get the vaccine before the elderly who do not live in facilities, according to the New York Post.

I can see some of the reasoning but I think we need a human element as well. My mother is elderly and I think her life is important. In my state, prison inmates will get the vaccine before my mom gets it. I get it that they're trying to stop spread in facilities, but, in my opinion, we should also look at our most vulnerable members of society. If the workers in those facilities (prisons and detox facilities) are vaccinated, that would be good, but to vaccinate a convicted murderer before someone who has worked their whole life, paid their taxes, never broken a law, and is now at great risk from the virus because of their age, seems wrong to me. JMOO

seems wrong to me too

ETA: Meanwhile, one of my best friends has been at an ER in Pensacola for 12 hours or so, waiting for a bed. He's had a stroke, but the beds are full of COVID patients.

I have a friend in AL who is on a stretcher at the hospital. He was waiting for the results of his covid test before they admit him (non-covid related), along with a roomfull of other people. He had to insist that they put him in another area to wait. He has COPD and thought that some of the people waiting for admission definitely had covid, judging by their visible symptoms. He is very high risk and has been isolating all year - can't take the risk of getting covid at the hospital.

He was amazed that they keep all the people waiting for admission mixed like that.

no one has a lot of sympathy for prisoners during COVID and the vaccination roll out.
The reason for vaccinating them is to help protect staff and their families AND as per NPR, to protect the community because some arrested people are detained and then released, allowing COVID to flow into the general population... not taking a side on this- just tossing in the public health perspective- and yeah, I wish I were ahead of them to....

www.npr.org › 2020/12/24 › correctional-facilities-are-co...
Dec 24, 2020 — Prisons, jails and detention centers have much higher coronavirus case ... But attitudes toward inmates mean bank tellers may get vaccinated ...

I have a friend in AL who is on a stretcher at the hospital. He was waiting for the results of his covid test before they admit him (non-covid related), along with a roomfull of other people. He had to insist that they put him in another area to wait. He has COPD and thought that some of the people waiting for admission definitely had covid, judging by their visible symptoms. He is very high risk and has been isolating all year - can't take the risk of getting covid at the hospital.

He was amazed that they keep all the people waiting for admission mixed like that.

I am beginning to feel like nothing should surprise us anymore!!!

it is outside, right? or not?

Yes, it is outside. Open air stadium capable of holding 72,000 people with 6,800 allowed tickets. They will be seated in a very socially distanced manner, with masks, and negative covid tests.

Presumably they have done some kind of social distancing metric in allowing only 6,800 fans .. which is 9/100ths of capacity.

They allowed our Christmas pageant to go ahead in my city, but instead of having the floats go down city streets lined with children/people they held it in our huge open air stadium with very limited tickets, sold by lottery, so they could keep people very far apart. And they televised it for everyone else.

Last edited:

I am not surprised. ER was a real eye opener. There was not enough room to social distance while you wait and everyone was mixed in together. Not the place you want to be.
JMO

West Virginia accidentally gives 42 people COVID-19 treatment instead of vaccine
The West Virginia National Guard admitted Thursday that 42 people expecting to receive the Moderna vaccine for COVID-19 were instead accidentally given the Regeneron antibody used to treat infections.

The mistake occurred at a vaccination clinic hosted by staff at the Boone County Health Department, and all of the people who accidentally received the wrong product are being contacted by the department, the National Guard said in a statement.

Medical experts with the Joint Interagency Task Force said they do not believe the individuals given the wrong injection are at risk of any harm.

"The moment that we were notified of what happened, we acted right away to correct it, and we immediately reviewed and strengthened our protocols to enhance our distribution process to prevent this from happening again," Maj. Gen. James Hoyer, adjutant general of the West Virginia National Guard, said in a statement.
How could this happen? Regeneron isn’t packaged like an immunization. Regeneron is an infusion that takes an hour to administer intravenously. The person administering the drug must be incompetent or ill-informed.

Re: Covid variant...more to worry about

Researchers don't know if South African Covid-19 variant poses a challenge to the vaccine, virologist says

A mutation of the novel coronavirus found in South Africa is spreading quickly, and researchers don’t know if it poses a challenge to the vaccine, according to the scientist who discovered the variation.

“The more we study this variant, the more worried we get,” said de Oliveira who is a virologist and an affiliate professor of global health at the University of Washington. “Our main worry is just the speed of transmission and how this variant has dominated so quickly.”

more:
Coronavirus update: Latest vaccine and world news

I agree with you: especially now with the virus surging- this is not the time to bring 7000 people together in close proximity--- As a society we have not learned much in 100 years- when the last pandemic hit us--- and we have so many more tools now-

It's surging, yet it appears that the amount of testing is level/less than before.

Seattle public health officials have so little COVID-19 funding on hand they worry they will have to shut down some virus testing sites as they mount a campaign to dose their 2.3 million residents with Pfizer Inc’s and Moderna Inc’s vaccines.

King County, which represents greater Seattle, has $14 million of COVID-19 funding for 2021, roughly what it spends in a month to run public testing sites and other services, and a fraction of the $87 million emergency COVID-19 aid it received in 2020, said Ingrid Ulrey, the public health policy director for King County.

“We’ve been on pins and needles the whole last three or four months, watching what’s happening at the federal level, waiting, watching,” she said. When newly approved federal funds finally trickle down to her level, she expects them to be less than this year, insufficient and too late.

“It’s shockingly low,” she added. “We have a huge new, unprecedented, daunting task of vaccine delivery.” King County is at risk of being unable to hire the up to 40 additional nurses and administrators needed to begin the next wave of public vaccinations.
Local funding crisis threatens U.S. vaccine rollout

Waaaaaay back when the first case was from King County, I signed up for their daily text updates. Still getting them to this day, and so sad what I read.

Wow - that’s a huge recipe for a bad situation to be made even worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?