Crime scene information

ewwwinteresting said:
Something to think about.....the change may mean nothing. If they took a metal detector to the yard (hoping to find the knife?), it would have picked up change also. The ten dollars in change could have been all around the creek and not in one spot???
.........40 quarters is a LOT to be laying around , in one spot, or here and there....

...i think the roll of quarters fell out of someone's pocket while they were rushing to/by the creek.....to wash off blood? get away ? ..it's quite a lot of weight to not normally notice...

lauriej said:
.........40 quarters is a LOT to be laying around , in one spot, or here and there....

...i think the roll of quarters fell out of someone's pocket while they were rushing to/by the creek.....to wash off blood? get away ? ..it's quite a lot of weight to not normally notice...

Do we know it was $10 in quarters? Maybe I missed that. I thought it was change....nickles, dimes, quarters.

ewwwinteresting said:
Do we know it was $10 in quarters? Maybe I missed that. I thought it was change....nickles, dimes, quarters.
.............nope............we do not know the denomination of coins.....i was just using a roll of quarters=$10 as speculation.......

Samurai said:
BTW, Hi! I used to post here a lot--haven't been doing it so much recently, but do read, and the info on this forum is great!
Hi Samurai! I think that your ideas about the coins are great. I am intrigued by the idea that it could have been a roll of quarters that slipped out quietly. If there was a change of clothes and perhaps a bag kept next to the creek, the perp could have gone to the creek to clean up, put the dirty clothes in the bag, and then move on. If this person is grabbing a bag of clothes, a jacket, and trying to get away without being seen, I can definitely see him or her not noticing the missing weight. And if there was a murder weapon being carried away in a bag, as well as any stolen items like computers, etc., it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to think that the quarters would not be missed. In fact, the juggling all of these items, and it being a roll of quarters is the only thing that seems to make any sense to me.

Does anyone know how well lit the house/street/creek are?

ETA: Is it possible that rolls of coins could have been stolen from the house, and that one was dropped in a similar scenario to the one above? And either s/he didn't notice because s/he was carrying so many or it was too dark to locate it once it had dropped?

I wonder if Janet & Raven had a washer & dryer? If not, it could be possible that they had rolls of quarters around for the purpose of a laundromat as you mentioned.

E(again)TA: If someone noticed Raven leaving in his soccer uniform, they could have easily assumed that he wouldn't be home for a while, especially if it's someone who knows him.

Hi, JerseyGirl!

This is really an interesting case because everyone concerned--Raven, Janet's family, LE--are being so closemouthed about it. We have heard Nothing about Raven's story, whether he came home and found her that way, When he came home, where he'd been, what he did upon arriving home... Nothing.

A roll of quarters came to mind because of the even figure. Ten dollars. Maybe LE just estimated, although I doubt it, but it is highly unusual that loose change carried anywhere, in a pocket or purse, would come out to exactly ten dollars. If a roll got wet, the paper might have disintegrated and left the coins in a pile. Just speculation, or course.

More speculation is about the blood. It is remotely possible that the stabbing took place by the side door and she was then carried up to the bedroom. If she had run, (and she might not have been able to,) there would have been a trail and they don't mention one. Just two places with bloodstains, separated by a house interior with a stairway.

The other possibility is that the stabbing took place in the bedroom, and the murderer brushed against the outside of the house going out and left blood from clothing there. Which means that the clothing had to be gotten rid of.

If they suspected Raven, they should have looked at his shoes to see if there was creek mud on them. And searched that creek for clothing and a knife. How big is the creek anyway--does anybody know? Even in a small one, clothing and weapons could just be put under rocks.

Could they use muddy shoes as evidence? I mean, since he LIVED next to the creek, wouldn't it be easy to explain the presence of mud?
" Showing Kaiden a crayfish, turtle, fill in the blank".
"Looking for the endangered snail darter".
" Fishing for our supper".
So forth and so on...

How does that work when the mud is either on or ajacent to one's property?

Samurai said:
The other possibility is that the stabbing took place in the bedroom, and the murderer brushed against the outside of the house going out and left blood from clothing there. Which means that the clothing had to be gotten rid of.
My :twocents: are on this scenario.

In another case that I have been following a startling thought just occurred to me that relates to this case ...

In that other case water usage within the home is becoming an interesting lynch-pin issue ... the time and amount water used might be what proves or disproves the possibility of a father murdering his young daughter.

Could that be why the creek is so important in this case? Could the murderer have cleaned up outside not only to avoid leaving trace evidence in the drains, but to leave no trace of the clean up all together?

golfmom said:
In another case that I have been following a startling thought just occurred to me that relates to this case ...

In that other case water usage within the home is becoming an interesting lynch-pin issue ... the time and amount water used might be what proves or disproves the possibility of a father murdering his young daughter.

Could that be why the creek is so important in this case? Could the murderer have cleaned up outside not only to avoid leaving trace evidence in the drains, but to leave no trace of the clean up all together?
I've been thinking this all along. But I still don't know if there is enough water in the creek to have cleaned up or not.

Samurai said:
More speculation is about the blood. It is remotely possible that the stabbing took place by the side door and she was then carried up to the bedroom. If she had run, (and she might not have been able to,) there would have been a trail and they don't mention one. Just two places with bloodstains, separated by a house interior with a stairway.
Depending on the locations and severity of the stab wounds, it could be that someone attempted to stab her at the door, whereas she put her hand over the initial wound, and ran to escape her attacker. If the initial wound at the door wasn't too severe, she could have possibly made it upstairs without dripping blood. The only thing that I don't understand if this scenario is true is why she would have run upstairs rather than out the front door to scream for help or something. I could see if she was trying to grab the baby to get away but if an attacker was in pursuit, I wouldn't think that she would bring the attacker closer to where the baby was. Of course, in a panic she could have but she wasn't found in the hallway or in the baby's room as far as I can tell. She was found in the bedroom that was referred to in the search warrant as an "office".

Samurai said:
A roll of quarters came to mind because of the even figure. Ten dollars. Maybe LE just estimated, although I doubt it, but it is highly unusual that loose change carried anywhere, in a pocket or purse, would come out to exactly ten dollars. If a roll got wet, the paper might have disintegrated and left the coins in a pile. Just speculation, or course.
I'm as sure as I can be that LE wouldn't estimate when collecting evidence. And it is extremely unlikely that the exact amount of spilled change would come out to that amount, (although possible - or perhaps whomever dropped it only had ten dollars in total). And as I've stated before, if ten dollars worth of change had fallen out of your pocket in loose coins, you'd have to have heard it, wouldn't you? Maybe the person did hear it but didn't have the time to collect it, and figured that it wasn't a "smoking gun" type of thing so just left it. Or it could have been planted there - but why? and by whom?

JerseyGirl said:
I'm as sure as I can be that LE wouldn't estimate when collecting evidence. And it is extremely unlikely that the exact amount of spilled change would come out to that amount, (although possible - or perhaps whomever dropped it only had ten dollars in total). And as I've stated before, if ten dollars worth of change had fallen out of your pocket in loose coins, you'd have to have heard it, wouldn't you? Maybe the person did hear it but didn't have the time to collect it, and figured that it wasn't a "smoking gun" type of thing so just left it. Or it could have been planted there - but why? and by whom?

I've been wondering if the just put an approximate value of silver recovered? Or was the exact amount?

Samurai said:
Hi, JerseyGirl!

This is really an interesting case because everyone concerned--Raven, Janet's family, LE--are being so closemouthed about it. We have heard Nothing about Raven's story, whether he came home and found her that way, When he came home, where he'd been, what he did upon arriving home... Nothing.
You mean in Raven's own words? I also don't understand why we haven't heard anything from anyone. But it could be that Raven is too distraught to talk to the media. We've heard that he was so distraught when speaking to Janet's family that they couldn't understand what he was saying.

JerseyGirl said:
Depending on the locations and severity of the stab wounds, it could be that someone attempted to stab her at the door, whereas she put her hand over the initial wound, and ran to escape her attacker. If the initial wound at the door wasn't too severe, she could have possibly made it upstairs without dripping blood. The only thing that I don't understand if this scenario is true is why she would have run upstairs rather than out the front door to scream for help or something. I could see if she was trying to grab the baby to get away but if an attacker was in pursuit, I wouldn't think that she would bring the attacker closer to where the baby was. Of course, in a panic she could have but she wasn't found in the hallway or in the baby's room as far as I can tell. She was found in the bedroom that was referred to in the search warrant as an "office".
Just a thought...was she trying to get to a phone? My bedroom also serves as my office (i.e., I have my computer and accessories, my desk, my phone...) if I were in trouble and lived in a more secluded neighborhood (which I thought their house was a bit off the road, right? or am I just midreading posts?), I'd go straight to the telephone...and it may be that the only phone they had, including cell phone was in their bedroom.

golfmom said:
I've been wondering if the just put an approximate value of silver recovered? Or was the exact amount?
IMO, there's absolutely no way that that is an approximated value. It was collected as possible evidence, after all. I'm sure that it's the correct amount. But I would think that if it was a roll of quarters, they would have listed it as such. (?)

JerseyGirl said:
IMO, there's absolutely no way that that is an approximated value. It was collected as possible evidence, after all. I'm sure that it's the correct amount. But I would think that if it was a roll of quarters, they would have listed it as such. (?)

There was plenty of room for description.

anneshirley said:
Just a thought...was she trying to get to a phone? My bedroom also serves as my office (i.e., I have my computer and accessories, my desk, my phone...) if I were in trouble and lived in a more secluded neighborhood (which I thought their house was a bit off the road, right? or am I just midreading posts?), I'd go straight to the telephone...and it may be that the only phone they had, including cell phone was in their bedroom.
That's a good point. I don't think that their neighborhood was all that secluded - I think that someone would have heard her scream if she had gone out front. And it was before 11 P.M. so there's a good likelihood that people would still have been awake somewhere.

JerseyGirl said:
That's a good point. I don't think that their neighborhood was all that secluded - I think that someone would have heard her scream if she had gone out front. And it was before 11 P.M. so there's a good likelihood that people would still have been awake somewhere.

JerseyGirl, I've been told that it was quite secluded.

golfmom said:
There was plenty of room for description.
If it were a roll of quarters, I really think that they would have listed it that way. The word currency is so basic - it could mean any kind of currency. So all we know is that it was ten dollars worth of "silver" currency. Is it possible that it's actual silver? A ten-dollar coin? I don't collect coins so I don't know if there is such a thing but could there have been a coin collection or something in the house that was stolen, and this ten dollar piece fell out during the escape? Perhaps the attack happened because Janet heard something, assumed it was Raven, and walked into a robbery in progress in another part of the house, (although if I were a robber, I'd wait until later at night - but then again, the man of the house wasn't home - that probably would present less of a struggle if s/he were to be caught in the act). If Raven's soccer nights were on the same day every week, this person could have scoped out their house before-hand.

golfmom said:
JerseyGirl, I've been told that it was quite secluded.
From photos on Raven's website (and they may not necessarily be in their neighborhood) it looks like the house isn't terribly close to people. Which is why, I think she may have gone to a place where she could get help..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back