Crime scene information

golfmom said:
JerseyGirl, I've been told that it was quite secluded.
Yes, but what I mean is that there were houses close enough that a shrill scream at 11:00 P.M. would have been heard by someone. While the property was surrounded by trees, you can clearly see other homes in the background of the photographs. So while you might not be able to see onto the property very well, the sound of a scream would have been able to carry, IMO.

Does the satellite image of the area have a scale or something that we can use to determine how far their home was from the others in the area?

I thought someone told me the house was set back 50-100 yards from the road and that there were lots of trees around. I don't think you can see the house from the road at all.

golfmom said:
I thought someone told me the house was set back 50-100 yards from the road and that there were lots of trees around. I don't think you can see the house from the road at all.
Microsoft TerraServer Imagery

Here's the image again. Unless this scale is incorrect, there are at least 3 houses within a hundred yards of this one, and it look like the next door neighbor's house is a mere 40 yards away, if that. Am I measuring this correctly? The house appears to be 50 yards off of the street.

ETA: I mean mere in the sense that I believe that they would have heard a shrill scream at 11 P.M. from that distance.

JerseyGirl said:
Here's the image again. Unless this scale is incorrect, there are at least 3 houses within a hundred yards of this one, and it look like the next door neighbor's house is a mere 40 yards away, if that. Am I measuring this correctly? The house appears to be 50 yards off of the street.

ETA: I mean mere in the sense that I believe that they would have heard a shrill scream at 11 P.M. from that distance.

:waitasec: I don't know, it looks like at least one would be close enough to hear something. But, I sure am glad you posted that link in this thread. I should have added it originally.
Thanks.... :blowkiss:

JerseyGirl said:

I think you're right. I would imagine that people would have heard a scream. Sad thing is, would they have done anything about? You never know these days if someone would be willing to get hurt themselves to help a stranger...Sad, but true.
(not that I'm saying this was going through Janet's mind.)...still so many unanswered questions...

Is it possible, if the murderer was someone she knew that she just welcomed into the house with a "I'm upstairs..." call and he then completely took her off guard??...which is why she didn't run. She didn't have a chance to.THat's just me thinking out loud though...and it probably is way too speculative.

golfmom said:
:waitasec: I don't know, it looks like at least one would be close enough to hear something. But, I sure am glad you posted that link in this thread. I should have added it originally.
Thanks.... :blowkiss:
You're welcome. :)

And I agree ... according to the scale on that page, there were people close enough to hear screaming, at least if she would have been screaming from the front porch. But at the same time, I've never been a victim of a vicious attack so I don't know why she would have run upstairs as opposed to out the front door if that's what happened. Honestly, I think that the blood on the door was from the attacker's escape. A murderer would probably prefer to leave from a side door rather than the front, and I don't know how common it would have been for people to knock on the side door. Would Janet have answered a knock on that door while home alone with the baby without being a bit apprehensive? Is there a driveway by that door? I think that she would have looked out before answering that door but since I don't know the property, I could be completely wrong. Does anyone know where the driveway is in relation to the doors?

anneshirley said:
I think you're right. I would imagine that people would have heard a scream. Sad thing is, would they have done anything about? You never know these days if someone would be willing to get hurt themselves to help a stranger...Sad, but true.
(not that I'm saying this was going through Janet's mind.)...still so many unanswered questions...

Is it possible, if the murderer was someone she knew that she just welcomed into the house with a "I'm upstairs..." call and he then completely took her off guard??...which is why she didn't run. She didn't have a chance to.THat's just me thinking out loud though...and it probably is way too speculative.
I sure hope you're not right in your theory about helping a stranger! :( But if you are, I think that someone would have at least called 911 if they had heard a woman screaming at night.

It does seem possible that she could have left the door open, expecting company. But would she have let Raven know about it ahead of time? We've repeatedly heard, (but I don't know if it's correct), that Janet was shy. We've also heard that one of the neighbors that claimed to know everyone had never seen the Abaroa family even though they moved in last August. So my guess would be that she wouldn't have been expecting a neighbor for coffee or anything like that.

What time did Raven leave the d*mned house that night???!!! We need to know that, Raven!!!

golfmom said:
And we need to know time of death. :(
That would be very helpful, indeed. But at least if we knew what time he left, we could better determine the likelihood of someone stopping by to chat, or robbery (which is possible but not as likely at 7 P.M.), etc.

LE hasn't let us know anything. Don't we normally at least hear about TOD by now? And in the cases where we haven't, what was the usual outcome, (if any)?

Anyone want to guess how their house is situated? Does the porch run east-west or north-south? I can't tell if the street behind Raven, Janet, and the friend is a street or their driveway.
http://www.ravenstree.com/images/Kaiden%20Images/IMGA0404.JPG
http://www.ravenstree.com/images/Kaiden%20Images/IMGA0406.JPG
http://www.ravenstree.com/images/Kaiden%20Images/IMGA0403.JPG

This might help in understanding which door they used to get in an out of the house. Did they go through the front door (I'm assuming that they didn't because it looks like it's a deck with stairs--IMO)? Did they used the back door, or even a side door as their main entrance to the house?

JerseyGirl said:
That would be very helpful, indeed. But at least if we knew what time he left, we could better determine the likelihood of someone stopping by to chat, or robbery (which is possible but not as likely at 7 P.M.), etc.

LE hasn't let us know anything. Don't we normally at least hear about TOD by now? And in the cases where we haven't, what was the usual outcome, (if any)?

In my opinion this is VERY strange.

golfmom said:
And we need to know time of death. :(
we also need to know why the police stated from the beginning that this wasn't a random murder. I know that stabbing generally is a more "personal" crime, but what else was there that determined that is wasn't a random homicide?

Jenifred said:
This might help in understanding which door they used to get in an out of the house. Did they go through the front door (I'm assuming that they didn't because it looks like it's a deck with stairs--IMO)? Did they used the back door, or even a side door as their main entrance to the house?
I didn't think it looked like a deck actually. I thought it looked like a front porch. ETA: Wouldn't decks normally be placed on the side or the back of a house? I've never seen one in the front in my area.

Jenifred said:
Anyone want to guess how their house is situated? Does the porch run east-west or north-south? I can't tell if the street behind Raven, Janet, and the friend is a street or their driveway.
http://www.ravenstree.com/images/Kaiden%20Images/IMGA0404.JPG
http://www.ravenstree.com/images/Kaiden%20Images/IMGA0403.JPG
The way it looks to me is that those pictures are on the front porch, and the houses that we see in the background are southwest of the Abaroa house on the satellite image.

I have to look at this again.

JerseyGirl said:
The way it looks to me is that those pictures are on the front porch, and the houses that we see in the background are southwest of the Abaroa house on the satellite image.

I have to look at this again.

I think the *front* of their house faces the side and the road we're seeing there is their driveway.

In this photo of Raven and Kaiden, the house in the background seems to me to be the house that's connected to the first driveway to the right next to the red dot in the satellite image. (We've been told that the second driveway to the right is the Abaroa house.) The area where Raven is standing is not very wide, and usually a deck would be wider so as to accomodate furniture, grill, fire pit, and what not. (It's also not very high off of the ground, although not all decks are.) In any case, this definitely looks like a front porch to me which would run the same direction as the street.

Of course, this is all speculation based on the way I'm viewing these images. I could be completely wrong.

golfmom said:
I think the *front* of their house faces the side and the road we're seeing there is their driveway.
We might be saying the same thing. Let me try to phrase myself a bit more clearly. In the photo below, when you are looking at it, I would think that the road is to the right, and the blue bins or whatever is in the background are on the side of the house.

JerseyGirl said:
I didn't think it looked like a deck actually. I thought it looked like a front porch. ETA: Wouldn't decks normally be placed on the side or the back of a house? I've never seen one in the front in my area.
That's what I mean--brain's been turned to mush from having children--I used the wrong word.

But do you see how their front yard seems to be lower than the porch? If my home were set like that, and I had steps going up to the front door, I'm thinking that I'd probably use another door to get in. Maybe the back door or a side door that didn't have steps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back