CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we don't know if Anton Bennet IS or IS NOT the professer who they were supposedly questioning. What I mean is we don't know the identity of the professer who was questioned. I suppose it could have been Bennett. Can anybody shed any light?

Here is the info and the link about Prof Bennett...He put an e-mail out to dept. Chair before Annie was reported missing...

Pharmacology Department chair Joseph Schlessinger said he first learned of Le’s disappearance from her faculty advisor Anton Bennett, an assistant professor in the pharmacology department. A 2007 graduate of the University of Rochester, Le is studying for a Ph.D. in pharmacology and molecular medicine.

Schlessinger said that Bennett e-mailed him yesterday around noon informing him that Le had not come in to work and that no one knew where she was. Police confiscated all of Le’s materials from the Anton Bennet Lab in the Sterling Hall Department of Pharmacology, where she worked.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/ci...-goes-missing/ (SORRY - doesn't work)

I believe that the authorities have talked to everyone who knew Annie, and that would certainly include her team leader, Anton Bennett. However, I think when posters talk about the professor who was reportedly "grilled," they are referring to the prof who cancelled the pathology class for which Annie was a TA and which was scheduled to be held Tuesday afternoon. He (that prof) apparently canceled the class before Annie was even reported missing. Hmmmmm. This prof has never been identified by name, as far as I know.

MOO.
Bennett knew she was missing -- even though her purse was in her office -- by noon.
"Pharmacology Department chair Joseph Schlessinger said he first learned of Le’s disappearance from her faculty advisor Anton Bennett, an assistant professor in the pharmacology department. A 2007 graduate of the University of Rochester, Le is studying for a Ph.D. in pharmacology and molecular medicine.

Schlessinger said that Bennett e-mailed him yesterday around noon informing him that Le had not come in to work and that no one knew where she was. Police confiscated all of Le’s materials from the Anton Bennet Lab in the Sterling Hall Department of Pharmacology, where she worked.
Yale Daily News (posted 8/12/09)
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/city-news/2009/09/09/medical-student-goes-missing/

With all due respect, and I mean this with all my heart...everyone states that her fiancee is not a suspect...at least I remember her family making that statement. I absolutely cannot fathom what that poor guy is going through right now. If something happened in that lab, or even in that building, I cannot see any given way he could be connected b/c a card key would be needed for access. With everything that I've read, it seems as though her family likes, truly approved of her fiancee. For some reason, I'm not thinking it's b/c of a difference in religions, although I'm searching for everything to support or discredit that online...just haven't found anything yet. This guy seems to be a good guy, stand up citizen, well spoken, mild mannered, treats everybody with consideration, etc.

First post here: I know a lot about VN culture, having lived in VN community for a long time. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Very common in Vietnamese weddings for old boyfriends or girlfriends to be invited to wedding, or to just come on their own accord when they hear about it, often traveling very far (1/2 way around the world). Often they will try to disrupt to wedding or make a last plea. These VN men are overly romantic and think that it is their fate to marry the bride. I even saw some cases where they showed up w/head shaved to prove their love. Usually they would go to brides house, and be very open about this, sometimes the parents may encourage it or fail to realize the potential risk, for example, they might think the old boyfriend was a nice guy, he just sad because your getting married, so the daughter should be nice to them in their last days before marriage. In the worst case, they will come to the wedding ceremony/reception and cause a scene to make their former bf or gf lose face in the community. For this reason, VN people have a proverb that when you decide to marry someone you should do it quickly (lay vo lien tay), or else third parties may try to cause problems, so they often avoid long engagements.

2. Re marrying outside of the culture: Can be acceptable, encouraged or discouraged, really varies from family to family based on their education level. If her family had a low level education, they may oppose marrying outside. To be honest, they will think that by marrying outside the culture, the groom may support the family in the long run less than a VN man or may not be quite as loyal, but, here someone earlier posted that the groom is half-chinese, so is part asian, hard to guess on this point. On the other hand, marrying outside the culture for women is good because often VN men do not allow the wife's parents to live with the family in the future (they only allow their own side to live with the family, because it is considered somewhat of a disgrace to live with the bride's family). It all depends on her family and not enough information on this point to judge.

3. Another possibility is he has an old gf that wanted to break up the wedding.

4. Many VN woman do get pregnant before marriage, as after engagement it is often considered not too taboo for the couple to have relations, and this is not a big deal provided that it is the groom's child of course. So, they do have a lot of quickly arranged marriages after engagement.

5. It does not sound like she got cold feet, but sounds like something happened to her. My guess is that the perpetrator is probably someone in her circle at the lab. It seems unlikely that an ex-bf would dare to enter the building, but maybe someone called her and she went outside to meet someone quickly, and then was attacked/abducted.

6. I read she is from Placerville, I believe that is near northern CA and they have a lot of HMONG people up there. Many who immigrated from Laos or Vietnam, they have a tradition of kidnapping brides before marriage, but their tradition is to break into the brides homes at night, there have been many cases of this in Northern CA. This is a remote possibility, but wanted to mention it.

7. Seems to me very unlikely a thief would go in there in broad daylight.

8. She may have a full VN name, but can't find it yet on Internet.

I pray that they can find her alive. She seems to be so bright and focused.

"... or killed her within the building and was able to get the body out unnoticed before she was reported missing/building searched.

Hi, I think that there would be very little reason for someone to take her dead body out of the building. It is more likely that her live body would be taken to a secondary location for a sexual assault. I just don't see taking a dead body to be worth the trouble. Hoping to narrow it down...
Also, I think the her article about crime on campus made her a target by bringing her to the attention of a sexual preditor. A male student on campus who is not very large.

With all due respect, and I mean this with all my heart...everyone states that her fiancee is not a suspect...at least I remember her family making that statement. I absolutely cannot fathom what that poor guy is going through right now. If something happened in that lab, or even in that building, I cannot see any given way he could be connected b/c a card key would be needed for access. With everything that I've read, it seems as though her family likes, truly approved of her fiancee. For some reason, I'm not thinking it's b/c of a difference in religions, although I'm searching for everything to support or discredit that online...just haven't found anything yet. This guy seems to be a good guy, stand up citizen, well spoken, mild mannered, treats everybody with consideration, etc.

I agree, I think that it is more likely that someone else didn't agree that she should be marrying a white guy. Maybe an acquaintance?
I'm not sure what I think about that theory on the whole, though.

With everything that I've read, it seems as though her family likes, truly approved of her fiancee. For some reason, I'm not thinking it's b/c of a difference in religions, although I'm searching for everything to support or discredit that online...just haven't found anything yet. This guy seems to be a good guy, stand up citizen, well spoken, mild mannered, treats everybody with consideration, etc.
BBM. I agree. Nothing points in the direction that they are against a Vietnamese girl marrying a Jewish guy. I also haven't seen a shred of evidence to support the notion she had a miscarriage. I'm really thinking someone in the building (professor, janitor) did her in for whatever reasons- jealousy, thrill of killing...

I took a break from this case to come back and find it a complete mess. I've read most of the posts and I can't believe the demeanor of the FBI and Yale speakers.

Here is something I thought of -

When LE report they catagorically did not find a body: Could they mean a 'body' as we know it. Maybe they found some remains of a body, or parts. Until a DNA analysis is completed they would not want to say anything definite about a body...actually if it's not whole, it could be most anything? right? Just a thought.

As far as the clothes not being identified: Maybe the clothes belonged to the perp, and being in such a mess, he stuffed them up into the tiles. He would never have been able to leave with bloody clothes. Right? What LE need to look for on those tapes is a person walking in with one set of clothes and out of the building in another set. Maybe wheeling a cart or small suitcase on wheels, the kind used by so many researchers.

I don't know who on Fox said a body couldn't be immersed in acid - it's done by murderers with the victim in the bath tub, with certain acids. Not saying this is what happened, but certainly one has to wonder where the body was put. Yes, I do believe this beautiful woman is no longer alive and stuffed somewhere in the lab or around it. she is not the joking or trickster type. Her life has been way too serious for such nonsense. MHO

Hi, I think that there would be very little reason for someone to take her dead body out of the building. It is more likely that her live body would be taken to a secondary location for a sexual assault. I just don't see taking a dead body to be worth the trouble. Hoping to narrow it down...
Also, I think the her article about crime on campus made her a target by bringing her to the attention of a sexual preditor. A male student on campus who is not very large.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. You snipped out the part I was referring to, though. The part where it states that the alarm originated in the very lab she was working in. I hadn't heard that before. Is this confirmed to be true? I assumed the alarm originated somewhere in the building but didn't really consider it being in the exact same lab she was working in. That's extremely suspicious if true...dontcha think?

Yeah, I completely agree with you. You snipped out the part I was referring to, though. The part where it states that the alarm originated in the very lab she was working in. I hadn't heard that before. Is this confirmed to be true? I assumed the alarm originated somewhere in the building but didn't really consider it being in the exact same lab she was working in. That's extremely suspicious if true...dontcha think?

I agree with you, it's suspicious. At the presser today though, the Yale VP said that the fire alarms used in the lab are NOT the kind that you can pull/trip. They go off automatically when they detect steam/smoke. So, IF the alarm were connected to the case someone would've had to have inside knowledge of the lab to know that the alarms would trip when steam was present..it is not something they could pull and set off.

1. You would think that they would have checked above the ceiling tiles the first day of her disappearance especially if there was no evidence of her leaving.

2. If it was a VN on VN crime, the use of acid would not be uncommon. See article below. Many woman or men in Vietnam become disfigured by acid during jealous spates. But I am not sure if I have heard of acid used to dispose a body in Vietnam.

HANOI - Doctors in Vietnam are alarmed by a surge in horrifically disfiguring acid attacks on women and have called for the crime to be treated like murder, a state-run newspaper reported. The weekend edition of the Phu Nu (Women) newspaper said there were 12 reported attacks involving sulphuric acid in Ho Chi Minh City in the first two months of this year, mainly provoked by sexual jealousy.

It quoted Tran Doan Dao, a doctor at Ho Chi Minh City's Cho Ray Hospital, as saying most of the victims were women. In such attacks the highly corrosive acid is usually thrown in the face of the victim leaving them horribly disfigured. The paper said the city had 33 reported acid attacks last year and that as well as the high cost of treatment, the victims often need psychological help. It said the price for 0.8 litre of acid was only about 2,200 Vietnamese dong (15 U.S. cents).

The chief judge of the Ho Chi Minh City People's Court, Bui Hoang Danh, told the paper that under prevailing law, acid attacks carry a maximum sentence of 20 years for intentional wounding. Murder carries a maximum penalty of death by firing squad.

Reuters - March 26, 2001.

Could:
Person set off false fire alarm.
Person killed in panic of trying to exit building.
Could:
Person who set off false alarm be charged with some type of homicide.

I don't really have a comment about the alarm, but it is interesting.

Mostly, I want to point out the most likely scenario. I think she was stalked by a man who wanted to rape her. She is very attractive. She was taken alive to a secondary location.

The other likely scenario is that LE can't find her, even though her body is still in the building. We've all seen how bodies are found in places LE claim to have searched. They are capable of bungling, unfortunatly.

There was a similar case a few months back where LE finally found the body in the building, but it took days.

Can you verify that he is half Chinese? Everything I've read about him says he is Jewish. There is nothing forbidding Jews from marrying Vietnamese. It's happened twice in my own family!

Back on page 4 of the previous thread there is a link:
http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/09/disappearance_yale_grad_studen.php

if you scroll down to the comments, a guy called "Dan" writes:

dan said:

it isnt jon, ive known him all my life and he is the most kind hearted, least sinister person i have ever known, i would swear my life on it
Posted 09/11/2009 at 07:53:54 PM

dan said:

and john smith, jonathan widawsky is half chinese, sorry
Posted 09/11/2009 at 08:16:02 PM

It's after that idiot "John Smith" was commenting about Asians marrying white men... :rolleyes:

And if Annie was learning Hebrew, it sounds like she was getting ready to convert. She sounds a lovely, generous person.

A couple times, one a girl was in a crawl space under a house another the boy was in a off limits boiler room i think.

One more thing before I forget, I heard on TV she checked into the bldg {I am assuming thru a key card or access control} but did not check out.

That is why I believe they feel she never left the bldg on her own. And IMO if one were working in that bldg and wanted to take a short cut across campus thru the tunnel system, she would have to key out before entering a tunnel.

There wouldl be a key card box at every entrance and exit. That is a measure of controlled security and I am somewhat familiar with that. I really sell video surveillance but my company also sells access control.

BBM. I agree. Nothing points in the direction that they are against a Vietnamese girl marrying a Jewish guy. I also haven't seen a shred of evidence to support the notion she had a miscarriage. I'm really thinking someone in the building (professor, janitor) did her in for whatever reasons- jealousy, thrill of killing...

Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines.

1. You would think that they would have checked above the ceiling tiles the first day of her disappearance especially if there was no evidence of her leaving.

2. If it was a VN on VN crime, the use of acid would not be uncommon. See article below. Many woman or men in Vietnam become disfigured by acid during jealous spates. But I am not sure if I have heard of acid used to dispose a body in Vietnam.

HANOI - Doctors in Vietnam are alarmed by a surge in horrifically disfiguring acid attacks on women and have called for the crime to be treated like murder, a state-run newspaper reported. The weekend edition of the Phu Nu (Women) newspaper said there were 12 reported attacks involving sulphuric acid in Ho Chi Minh City in the first two months of this year, mainly provoked by sexual jealousy.

It quoted Tran Doan Dao, a doctor at Ho Chi Minh City's Cho Ray Hospital, as saying most of the victims were women. In such attacks the highly corrosive acid is usually thrown in the face of the victim leaving them horribly disfigured. The paper said the city had 33 reported acid attacks last year and that as well as the high cost of treatment, the victims often need psychological help. It said the price for 0.8 litre of acid was only about 2,200 Vietnamese dong (15 U.S. cents).

The chief judge of the Ho Chi Minh City People's Court, Bui Hoang Danh, told the paper that under prevailing law, acid attacks carry a maximum sentence of 20 years for intentional wounding. Murder carries a maximum penalty of death by firing squad.

Reuters - March 26, 2001.

Welcome to WS!!! Amazing first posts!!! Very intriguing and riveting!! I look forward to your input in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa