DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS is what I don't understand. Someone said he was a shrewd businessman but very nice so I can't see him telling anyone this amount of money would be delivered.

I think too many facts are missing regarding the $40M. But I agree that a sophisticated businessman would likely have had a more secure method of distributing money than having cash delivered without signature to his doorstep. IMOO this was the coerced ransom funds and it is unfortunate that so many opportunities were missed for someone to think "this does not seem right".

Where did the funds come from? AIW - Safe or Account? AIW - Does the CEO have single signature authority to withdraw that amount? Are there no other investors? Shareholders - private or otherwise. Most companys have a fiscal oversight plan that protects from embezzlement - unless this CEO was the sole owner? Whoever knew what was in that box is either suspect or thick-headed. AIW is a large company that deals with contractors all the time - I don't see any benefit at all to the CEO paying people in cash (under the table etc)

I can not see why even the so-called "cash rewards for new members" theory makes sense. That could be handled via a voucher to be applied to lessons etc or redeemed later. Why would you hand out hundred dollar bills and risk theft at the site or mugging of patrons etc. Makes zero sense. Is even a liability issue if people get unruly over seeing cash.

IMOO if NG knew about the $40M before Thursday - she likely overheard it ahead of time(but I don't think this was an advance order) - set it up herself ("the boss wants $40M"- but who would fill that request on her order??) - or she is trying to appear in the "know" - she does not seem that torn up over a boy she has known since birth???. And why $40M? - is this exactly what was kept in an office safe (who knows that or would ever know that?) or is it some maximum amount available for same-day withdrawl or single signature withdrawl by the CEO etc...??

NG could just be innocent/clueless and perhaps an acquaintance or family member knew she worked for a rich family and stalked her or milked her for bits of information.

Other thoughts:
  • Who else was aware NG was handling martial arts set-up/opening role? Maybe this was not true? - perhaps an excuse to not go to house on Thursday. What exactly was she doing to help?
  • Earlier embezzlement issue? Any bad blood, resentment brewing (remember the poor little NYC children slashed up by nanny) ?

Seems like someone either disabled cameras or they arrived during the daytime because they KNEW the security system only came on at night - inside information or casing the place prior.

"FOX 5 has also learned that a Domino's pizza delivery was made late Wednesday night just before midnight at the Savopoulos' house. The delivery man says he left two pizzas at the front door and there was an envelope with cash left outside."
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29114637/savopoulos-fire-deaths
FOX 5 has also learned that a Domino's pizza delivery was made late Wednesday night just before midnight at the Savopoulos' house. The delivery man says he left two pizzas at the front door and there was an envelope with cash left outside.

snipped from article:http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29114637/savopoulos-fire-deaths

Well, LE can request from phone/ internet accounts at Domino's what IP address/ cell phone number was used to order the pizza if done online. Follow the electronic trail.

And about the money...why would the assistant take money from a safe at AIW to
- buy a piece of art for the dojo? A legitimate gallery or artist is going to have to tell the bank where the money came from when depositing, and it would be a write-off, and if you sell the art later, you gotta prove you paid for the art...and now you are mixing the money of 2 different businesses...my husband works "in the cloud" for a bank...that sets off data "alarms"... SS was a lawyer,as well as a CEO from what I have read, and he should have known you can't mix $ from accounts without setting off "alarms" in accounting. Most businesses do not keep $40,000 on hand in a safe. Not adding up for me. Strictly my opinions.

FOX 5 has also learned that a Domino's pizza delivery was made late Wednesday night just before midnight at the Savopoulos' house. The delivery man says he left two pizzas at the front door and there was an envelope with cash left outside.

snipped from article:http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29114637/savopoulos-fire-deaths

So the cash left in an envelope was payment for the pizza? It came out kind of confusing because I saw the $40,000 dropoff about the same time that I saw the pizza and cash left outside.

So the cash left in an envelope was payment for the pizza? It came out kind of confusing because I saw the $40,000 dropoff about the same time that I saw the pizza and cash left outside.

Two totally different things. Cash was left outside at midnight for the pizzas. In the morning, an assistant dropped off a package with 40K.

If this was an inside job with the killer(s) knowing that the $40K was going to arrive sometime that week, wouldn't that mean if there was a ransom demand that it wasn't paid? Maybe whoever did this was looking for far more than $40K and killed them for not paying the ransom. If whoever did this knew the $40K was coming, unless they were looking for more than that I don't see what the purpose of the torture was, which it's been implied that the torture was done to get money...money eventually arrived at the house, but it sounds like no more money arrived that day than was already scheduled. So far I've not heard any attempt made to get any more money, but so far I haven't heard how they were in a position to get any more money either. I'm not sure whoever did this did know about the drop before the home invasion since if they did, there would have been far easier ways of getting the $40K than doing what they did, but on the other hand I don't see why the family wouldn't pay a ransom demand in addition to the $40K.

40M also means $40,000. Just saying. MM is million.

M is thousand in roman numerals and CPAs and bankers make me crazy using M instead of K, so I get it.

@mysteriew - I was touched by your signature block. It makes me picture this family going through this He##, then letting go and dying, flying up to Heaven. - "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight"

If this was an inside job with the killer(s) knowing that the $40K was going to arrive sometime that week, wouldn't that mean if there was a ransom demand that it wasn't paid? Maybe whoever did this was looking for far more than $40K and killed them for not paying the ransom. If whoever did this knew the $40K was coming, unless they were looking for more than that I don't see what the purpose of the torture was, which it's been implied that the torture was done to get money...money eventually arrived at the house, but it sounds like no more money arrived that day than was already scheduled. So far I've not heard any attempt made to get any more money, but so far I haven't heard how they were in a position to get any more money either. I'm not sure whoever did this did know about the drop before the home invasion since if they did, there would have been far easier ways of getting the $40K than doing what they did, but on the other hand I don't see why the family wouldn't pay a ransom demand in addition to the $40K.

They had to control the family. Father had to do as they wanted. Maybe that's what the torture was for. If father didn't make the calls, etc, they would torture the child.

I think too many facts are missing regarding the $40M. But I agree that a sophisticated businessman would likely have had a more secure method of distributing money than having cash delivered without signature to his doorstep. IMOO this was the coerced ransom funds and it is unfortunate that so many opportunities were missed for someone to think "this does not seem right".

Where did the funds come from? AIW - Safe or Account? AIW - Does the CEO have single signature authority to withdraw that amount? Are there no other investors? Shareholders - private or otherwise. Most companys have a fiscal oversight plan that protects from embezzlement - unless this CEO was the sole owner? Whoever knew what was in that box is either suspect or thick-headed. AIW is a large company that deals with contractors all the time - I don't see any benefit at all to the CEO paying people in cash (under the table etc)

I can not see why even the so-called "cash rewards for new members" theory makes sense. That could be handled via a voucher to be applied to lessons etc or redeemed later. Why would you hand out hundred dollar bills and risk theft at the site or mugging of patrons etc. Makes zero sense. Is even a liability issue if people get unruly over seeing cash.

IMOO if NG knew about the $40M before Thursday - she likely overheard it ahead of time(but I don't think this was an advance order) - set it up herself ("the boss wants $40M"- but who would fill that request on her order??) - or she is trying to appear in the "know" - she does not seem that torn up over a boy she has known since birth???. And why $40M? - is this exactly what was kept in an office safe (who knows that or would ever know that?) or is it some maximum amount available for same-day withdrawl or single signature withdrawl by the CEO etc...??

NG could just be innocent/clueless and perhaps an acquaintance or family member knew she worked for a rich family and stalked her or milked her for bits of information.

Other thoughts:
  • Who else was aware NG was handling martial arts set-up/opening role? Maybe this was not true? - perhaps an excuse to not go to house on Thursday. What exactly was she doing to help?
  • Earlier embezzlement issue? Any bad blood, resentment brewing (remember the poor little NYC children slashed up by nanny) ?

Seems like someone either disabled cameras or they arrived during the daytime because they KNEW the security system only came on at night - inside information or casing the place prior.

• Is it just me or does $40,000M seem an excessive amount for incentive/rewards?

And they are saying that the guy who delivered it may not have known the contents of the package. If the owner prepackaged it before,why didn't he just take it home at that time? Why not make arrangements to have it delivered to the new store? This part doesn't make sense to me.

When were the arrangements made for this delivery? If not prearranged I would suspect that this was a ransom payment. Maybe the guy used the excuse of the new store when he made the arrangements, but maybe it was actually for a ransome.

If it's true about the suspects knowing about the $40,000 drop off, then it's possible the outside cameras at the home, were disabled in advance, by the same people. No forced entry. I think it's pretty clear, the family knew the perps, or at the least, were familiar with them. I just can't get it clear in my head, why killing 4 people was worth only $40,000. I know people have been murdered for much less, but this bothers me.

Ha - sorry I work in finance we use $40M or $40MM for Thousands and Millions.

Other thoughts:

• I think it's entirely possible that NG was targeted for information. She does like to talk. I just find the coincidences of timing to be very tough to dismiss. Why this one day was she not supposed to be there? In HER text back to Amy she says "Hi Amy...I don't have any plans to go over there today...Monday is fine. Thank you." This I grabbed from minute 2:25 in the first video on this page: http://abcnews.go.com/US/mansion-fire-mysterious-voicemail-latest-clue-dc-blaze/story?id=31121535. The text went out at 9:56 in the morning. Had she listened to SS's message by then? If so, then why hadn't she called the other housekeeper's husband? Can't get past these details that don't add up.

NBCWashington states FBI former profiler VanZandt states it was a targeted attack of someone who has knowledge of the family. Not a gang member, but not a first time criminal either, based on the brutality. He said possibly a psychopath.

Clarification: Said he thinks at least 2 people.
Also that people missed opportunities to alert authorities (obviously though).

The victims were found to have suffered from blunt force trauma, and, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation, authorities believe the four victims were killed prior to the house being set ablaze. The source said the victims were bound with duct tape and held captive by the perpetrators. There were signs of torture to at least one of the victims.

Bernardo Alfaro, the husband of the slain housekeeper, added another piece to the puzzle in an exclusive interview with CNN affiliate WJLA Wednesday. He said he received a phone call from Savvas Savopoulos when he went to check in on his wife on Thursday, telling him she hadn't come home the night before because she was at the hospital with a sick Amy Savopoulos.

"I'm sorry because I didn't call you," Alfaro said Savopoulos told him. "(Veralicia) is at the hospital ... she has to stay with my wife because she was feeling bad and asked Vera to go with her."

http://www.wsbt.com/news/politics/source-money-was-motive-for-dc-house-fire/33130858

If it's true about the suspects knowing about the $40,000 drop off, then it's possible the outside cameras at the home, were disabled in advance, by the same people. No forced entry. I think it's pretty clear, the family knew the perps, or at the least, were familiar with them. I just can't get it clear in my head, why killing 4 people was worth only $40,000. I know people have been murdered for much less, but this bothers me.

How is it clear the family knew the perps? Perps might have known about the family. Doesn't mean family knew them.

His school goes to grade 12. He has older sisters and is into go-karting. I bet he did associate with older teens.

If the perps turn out to be St. Alban's boys that will be one hell of a story.

That's exactly right. It sounds foreign. I don't think Amy would have used that. But why were these perps so concerned about the maid showing up? She got a voice mail and a message warning her to now show up.
Husband of another maid (one who died) showed up, apparently they didn't think to send him a message.

Last night I came up with this theory: according to NG she got the message left Wednesday night, that said "don't come," on Thursday morning and she called but got no answer. If the perps had the phone at that point they might have listened to the message and she may have said something like "sorry to hear you're sick, are you sure you don't want me to come in?" or they just worried that not getting an answer might prompt her to drop by so they sent the second text. Pure speculation all this.

I guess I should admit that my gut feeling is NG or her family is involved. Outgoing phone calls were allowed to NG. Why - how did perps know that Savvas was really dialing NG or that the contact if listed as NG was the housekeeper? Why did they believe she was really coming on Thursday and needed to be stopped? Because the perps knew who she was - otherwise they could have said we need to call our housekeeper and instead dialed the sister or something and set off better red flags. He could phone his sister "we don't need you to work tomorrow" - that would have raised a red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gooniesforever