Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
what happened?

I don't know...according to this story he left a party and was talking to a friend on his cell phone. They heard him say something.... the story at this link says "oh no, help" but I read a different story that said that he said "oh my god." No one has heard from him sense. He was by the Mississippi river.
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=590089&catid=2

here is another link http://wcco.com/local/st.thomas.missing.2.976662.html

I live in St Paul where this happened. I was watching the news last night and thought, not again !?! One report says that the kid said "Help, I am slipping" and another article said "Oh my God, where are you? Help!". He ran out of the party towards the river according to a map from the Pioneer Press article, but the footprints in the snow said that he was walking away from the river. He is diabetic and needs insulin. They have helicopters and bloodhounds out now. Please, not again.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12078105

:( This doesn't sound good after reading the account from his friends who had gone to pick him up. I have so many questions.

"Oh no, help!" or "Oh my God" may mean either he personally recognized his assailants, or his assailants were clad in a distinctive and frightening manner.

This reminds me of Brandon Swanson. He was talking to his dad on the phone and suddenly said "Oh shi*!" The phone went dead and Brandon has never been seen again.

JMHO
fran

"Oh no, help!" or "Oh my God" may mean either he personally recognized his assailants, or his assailants were clad in a distinctive and frightening manner.

I wish we knew what he really said. It's frustrating to hear something different in every story out there.

In the story I linked above it said that after that phone call, the phone rang for several hours unanswered until finally it went straight to voicemail which led them to believe that the battery had died. Does that make it less likely that the phone fell into water?

This reminds me of Brandon Swanson. He was talking to his dad on the phone and suddenly said "Oh shi*!" The phone went dead and Brandon has never been seen again.

JMHO
fran

It does sound a lot like that...

This happened about five miles away from where Chris Jenkins was last seen...which also doesn't sit well...

I don't know...according to this story he left a party and was talking to a friend on his cell phone. They heard him say something.... the story at this link says "oh no, help" but I read a different story that said that he said "oh my god." No one has heard from him sense. He was by the Mississippi river.
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=590089&catid=2

here is another link http://wcco.com/local/st.thomas.missing.2.976662.html

Here's an update.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12086413

Check statements by the parents that insulin and partying don't mix. Also, check the map.

The young man walked 4 blocks west - directly toward the river - when his residence was 9 blocks north. Was he confused from the moment he left the party? All streets going north from the party location have sidewalks. Why was he headed in the wrong direction? I am very familiar with Mississippi Blvd S. People just don't walk off the trail or the river bank. Maybe he was going into diabetic shock.

This was listed on "alien earth" website (I think this article is really good and explains a lot- van, drugs, gang, multiple locations, etc)

From Milwaukee Magazine

After three months of research into the case, Milwaukee Magazine has learned a gang called the "Dealers of Death" claims involvement in the deaths of some of these men. Convicted murderer Jeramy Alford, who is also a suspect in a river death that police now believe is a homicide, told the FBI last year that the gang had murdered 40 of the men. One admitted gang member: a man nicknamed "Zmiley."

In a letter obtained by Milwaukee Magazine, the FBI said there’s no evidence the gang exists, but admits Alford discussed the gang. (Both the FBI and the New York cops talked to Alford.) Milwaukee Magazine also has discovered documents from the New Brighton, Minn., police department in which two men associated with Alford, including Zmiley, admit belonging to the Dealers of Death.

Gannon’s team seems to have developed the smiley face theory at least in part after interviewing Alford. The team then talked to the FBI, which made an attempt to investigate, but not enough to satisfy Gannon (see "Sensenbrenner and the FBI," page 76).

He may have a point. Milwaukee Magazine has interviewed police in Iowa and Minnesota and examined investigative documents in New Brighton, all of which paints a portrait of a gang called the Dealers of Death with links to Jeramy Alford.

The Alford brothers are from rural Iowa, near Cedar Rapids, which is 75 miles from East Dubuque. They’d also lived in the Minneapolis area, sometimes shuttling back and forth between states.

"They were a transient family who became well-known to us," says Detective Bob Knoop of the Williamsburg, Iowa, police department. "They lived in subsidized housing and then in a trailer park. We had been watching them for illegal drug activity. Jeramy was one of those guys who couldn’t keep out of the way of the police."

In 2005, Knoop says, Jeramy Alford was arrested for harboring runaways. Police discovered he’d branded one of them, using a hot razor to create the beginnings of a five-point star. "He told them he would take them to Minnesota and make them part of his gang," Knoop says. Alford claimed his group was a political subdivision of a Chicago gang; another cop remembers the name as the "Dealers of Death."

David Miller, who prosecuted Jeramy Alford for the murder of Douglas Miller, says Alford had tried to falsely blame that homicide on fellow gang members nicknamed Zmiley and Roach. As a result, the police questioned these two men.
Did they try to dispose of the van used in the murders?
From another source

The Alfords lived with Miller but were about to be evicted because they were stealing from him and not paying rent, witnesses told police.

From another source...A van was dumped in the Iowa River

Luis Alford told police he hit Miller with a hammer and stabbed him with a barbecue fork, while his brother stabbed him with a knife, authorities said. His brother claimed full responsibility for the killing, after first blaming it on an unidentified third party, according to the county attorney's office.

"He said he hit Mr. Miller in the head with a pipe five or six times and stabbed him with anything he could find," the criminal complaint states.

A fisherman discovered the van belonging to Miller's employer submerged in the Cedar River Friday morning near Palo.
Continued from Milwaukee Magazine

Zmiley told police that the Dealers of Death had 300 members. "I was once a part of a little clique they had called the DOD," the records quote Zmiley as saying. DOD stood for "Dealers of Death" and was based in Iowa, he said.

Zmiley said he was on antipsychotic medication, lived in a tent by the river, was a regular at Brothers bar in Minneapolis, and had engaged in violence in the past. He claimed Alford confessed to murdering a college student in an Indian costume. But Zmiley remembered the victim’s name as Andrew, not Chris Jenkins. However, according to David Miller, Alford once had a jail visit with a relative and spent his "precious 15 minutes" discussing a possible alibi for Halloween, the night Jenkins was killed.

"He [Alford] just said, ‘I killed this stupid looking dude and I threw him over the bridge,’ " Zmiley told police.

Roach, who has a Minnesota criminal record, also told police he’d been a member of a gang he referred to as "DOD" and then called Dealers of Death. He said Jeramy Alford was the leader. (Zmiley told police someone else had taken over the gang after Alford was incarcerated.) Alford declined to be interviewed by Milwaukee Magazine. But when questioned by FBI agents, he claimed the DOD gang had murdered 40 young men.

Detective Gary Sykes of the New Brighton police department, who investigated the Miller homicide, is convinced the DOD gang robbed people for drug money, mostly in Minneapolis. "They hung out on the street all night and slept where they could during the day. Did Alford kill Chris Jenkins? It’s possible. Is he involved in other deaths? They are capable of almost anything, especially Jeramy. They have no compassion for human life. They were just plain weird."

Head to the Internet, and it gets even weirder. Zmiley’s devil-worshipping Internet profile contains a flaming skull over a pentacle and reads, "I am me and there is no one like me, so back off before you get put down on the ground." A friend writes on his site, "I also have a fascination with serial killers … the more u learn about history the better a person can learn from other peoples’ mistakes."

Could Alford’s gang be the smiley face killers who murdered some of these young men? "I believe they were a part of it," says Steve Jenkins, the father of Chris. "The FBI is not doing enough to confirm it."

Local law enforcement authorities are more guarded. But like Sykes, they believe the DOD gang could be connected to the murder of young men. "It’s plausible," says David Miller. Alford has already shown what he’s capable of. "He killed a defenseless man," says Knoop, the Iowa cop. But Knoop adds that Alford is an untrustworthy character who "likes to brag." He wants the FBI to take a closer look.

http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/CurrentIssue/full _feature_story.asp?

Okay I know this is a silly coincidence and you guys will probably think I'm a dork for even mentioning this, but I was looking at a map of the area that Dan Zamlen was last seen, and I never realized that there is a road that intersects with Mississippi River Blvd called "Gannon Road". http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....898292,-93.177259&spn=0.006414,0.013819&z=16

I know we don't know what happened to Dan and I really am hoping that he's not one of the victims...I just saw that on the map and thought I'd mention it.

Wow, that is weird! (Gannon Blvd)

There was also one victim (cannot remember name offhand) that was on his cell phone telling someone (paraphrasing)..They're chasing me into the woods (Who's they?)..I don't know! phone goes dead

Update on Dan Z. No news. Nothing, although LE has suspended the search. Strange IMO. The strange thing is there has been no talk of footprints or evidence of a slide going to the river.

P.S. Gannon Rd. is about 4 miles from where DZ disappeared.

Update on Dan Z. No news. Nothing, although LE has suspended the search. Strange IMO. The strange thing is there has been no talk of footprints or evidence of a slide going to the river.

P.S. Gannon Rd. is about 4 miles from where DZ disappeared.

I read that they suspended the search because they were worried about so many people making it harder for search dogs to work. http://sfkillers.com/?p=572

The only thing I read about footprints was that there was one in the snow going the opposite direction of the river but no more than that. I wish I would've known where I read that. I will post a link if I can find it again.

The headlights thing concerns me a bit. When she was on her way to pick him up he said that he saw headlights and she told him to follow them and that was before he said....whatever he said...I don't know every story says something different...before the line went dead. http://www.twincities.com/ci_12079744?source=most_emailed

makes me worried that someone pulled him into their car or something.

You can zoom in quite close here to see that there is a pretty nice walking trail there...and the trees are quite dense. One would be more likely to fall and run into a tree...or several trees before they'd get to the river. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...373&spn=0.001511,0.003455&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

Looking at this makes me even more convinced that he did not "slip or fall" into the river. And this map with the fact that he saw headlights, and "oh god where are you, help" I believe he was abducted. I really think this case fits the SFK scenario too.

I found this comment on http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/
I hope it's okay for me to post....

Anonymous said...
All these people are assuming that Dan fell in the river... Well being that I have now logged more then 20 hours as part of the search and rescue team, I can tell you that the authorities are pretty sure that he did NOT actually fall into the river. The bank has a steep slope, and there was snow on the ground. When police searched these banks (ranging about 5 miles in both directions) they found no evidence that the slopes had been touched, and it is nearly impossible for someone to fall (or even walk) down them without leaving significant evidence of their tracks. Wherever Dan is.... I doubt he is in the water. I just hope he's safe.....

I just really think this proves even more he was abducted. I really hope that the police investigate this case very throuroughly instead of downplaying it like they have done in so many of the other cases.

I found this comment on http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/
I hope it's okay for me to post....

Anonymous said...
All these people are assuming that Dan fell in the river... Well being that I have now logged more then 20 hours as part of the search and rescue team, I can tell you that the authorities are pretty sure that he did NOT actually fall into the river. The bank has a steep slope, and there was snow on the ground. When police searched these banks (ranging about 5 miles in both directions) they found no evidence that the slopes had been touched, and it is nearly impossible for someone to fall (or even walk) down them without leaving significant evidence of their tracks. Wherever Dan is.... I doubt he is in the water. I just hope he's safe.....

I just really think this proves even more he was abducted. I really hope that the police investigate this case very throuroughly instead of downplaying it like they have done in so many of the other cases.

That's really interesting thanks for posting that. That would also make more sense when it comes to the police calling the search off. I've been complaining about this April snow but I'm glad it was there so the police could see that it hadn't been disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz