Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
ElleyMae, keep in mind that Duncan (traveling when infected) is not the equivalent of the person who infected a HCW in Africa. He was someone who had been exposed, though he supposedly didn't know he had been exposed to the disease. (I'm skeptical of that unverifiable claim, but that's what he said.) But when he boarded the plane, and when he got to the US, apparently he had no symptoms, which means he had no reason to believe he was sick, and wouldn't have tested positive even if he had been tested.

HCW's are considered a much higher risk, because there's no question they have been in the vicinity of the disease. That's why they are being quarantined.

As I understand it, others traveling from those countries are screened, questioned, and (unless something raises red flags) will be monitored just in case, but they are considered low risk and not put into quarantine. But it's possible that different areas are each setting their own rules, because it sounds like CT has a mandatory quarantine for everyone.

I just volunteered to be an Ebola nurse for our children's hospital if it should come to that. Lots of training involved.

Hey, I have no young children and a fair amount of life insurance - I certainly wouldn't ask the younger RNs to do it. Heck, that's why I am a nurse after all.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/31/world/africa/ebola-virus-outbreak-qa.html?_r=0

700 have gone to West Africa, 210 are serving now, 3 caught the disease.

The link has some great graphics explaining the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and elsewhere.

I don't know how NYT came up with these numbers.
Per what has been recently reported, 16 people were infected and 9 died.

"International aid organization Doctors Without Borders said that 16 of its staff members have been infected with Ebola and nine of them have died."

http://onlineathens.com/health/2014-10-14/doctors-without-borders-loses-9-medics-ebola

thank you! you're amazing

I just volunteered to be an Ebola nurse for our children's hospital if it should come to that. Lots of training involved.

Hey, I have no young children and a fair amount of life insurance - I certainly wouldn't ask the younger RNs to do it. Heck, that's why I am a nurse after all.

Bless you ! :) You're a rock star !

An extraordinary number of Bellevue Hospital staffers called in sick on Friday rather than treat the city’s first Ebola patient — and those who showed up were terrified to enter his isolation chamber, sources told The Post.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/25/many-bellevue-staffers-take-sick-day-in-ebola-panic/

That's too bad! Sometimes the worst in humanity pops up during times of crisis. I hope he is moved to one of the crisis centers. He deserves better than this!!

I know that they say that a person with ebola isn't infectious until there are symptoms -- i.e., they can't pass the virus to someone else. (Although I have my doubts about whether that's true, but that's what they say.)

But I would have thought that if the doc came back from Guinea with the virus in him, that he would be considered "infected" even before symptoms appeared.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that this doc picked up the ebola virus there, then came here. If that's not medically considered to be "infected," what would it be? In the sentence, "a doctor who treated patients in Guinea came back infected," what would be the correct word to use?

I cant shake that either. I just do not see how an infected person checks their temp at 9 am with a normal temp and then a few hrs later when they check again having a fever that they are only contagious from that point on. The virus would be in their body moments away from causing all kind of havoc when they tested earlier.

Of course at this moment I have no faith in the CDC or the TX health officials so any and everything they say goes in my brain but it sure doesn't sit on the truth side more like keep in your back pocket until you see proof yourself side. They get a big ahem when they speak.

I don't know how NYT came up with these numbers.
Per what has been recently reported, 16 people were infected and 9 died.

"International aid organization Doctors Without Borders said that 16 of its staff members have been infected with Ebola and nine of them have died."

http://onlineathens.com/health/2014-10-14/doctors-without-borders-loses-9-medics-ebola

Your figure probably includes local MSF staff from the affected countries. The New York Times numbers are MSF staff that have traveled to West Africa to fight the disease.

So correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming that people like Duncan are still coming into the country just like he did, other then they will get a temp check upon arrival here, state side.

If people like Duncan were coming in just like he did (if you mean infected with Ebola), there would have been further cases of Ebola identified in West Africans arriving in the USA from Liberia, Guinea or Sierra Leone. There have been no cases, so who is supposed to be quarantined?

The fact that there have been no more cases would suggest that the flood of healthcare 'tourists' predicted by some does not appear to be happening.

If people like Duncan were coming in just like he did (if you mean infected with Ebola), there would have been further cases of Ebola identified in West Africans arriving in the USA from Liberia, Guinea or Sierra Leone. There have been no cases, so who is supposed to be quarantined?

The day before Duncan arrived we didn't have any cases. I am not convinced that no one else with ebola will enter other then Dr's that have treated people with it. I will error on the side of caution as long as they are just doing temp checks, you know like the one that Duncan did.

EXCLUSIVE: City health officials desperately search for experimental drug to use on Ebola patient Craig Spencer.

Five hours after Ebola-stricken Craig Spencer was hauled into Bellevue Hospital’s quarantine unit, the city Health Department sent a frantic email marked “URGENT” — asking if New York area hospitals, researchers and pharmacies had an experimental drug that has shown promise against the deadly virus.

It’s not clear if the antiviral drug Brincidofovir ever made it to Bellevue or if it was administered to Spencer, but the hunt was on Thursday night.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/e...ebola-patient-craig-spencer-article-1.1986649

You are a brave woman. Bless you. :rose:

What a great thing to do.

Sadly, this link takes us from the sublime (you) to the beneath contempt.

This is a warning from the WHO since scammers are using their name and Ebola to fool people into giving them money.

http://www.who.int/about/scamalert/en/

That's too bad! Sometimes the worst in humanity pops up during times of crisis. I hope he is moved to one of the crisis centers. He deserves better than this!!

You can't blame them just yet. They work there so they may know if they are fully equip to handle an Ebola patient. They might not feel its safe enough there. Besides if we have these other hospitals that are the known Ebola hospitals why are we not using them.

You can't blame them just yet. They work there so they may know if they are fully equip to handle an Ebola patient. They might not feel its safe enough there. Besides if we have these other hospitals that are the known Ebola hospitals why are we not using them.

Respectfully, I wasn't aware that health care workers could pick & choose what diseases they would treat. When I was a child back in the 1940s I contracted polio which at the time was a deadly disease. I was still contagious at the time I was admitted to the hospital. Thankfully the nurses who took care of me were extremely kind & caring. I might not be here today if they had shunned me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa