First Tropical Storm of the Season (Alberto) -merged-

I was just outside looking at the clouds and the way the wind was blowing to see if we'd get any rain tonight. We are so drought stricken that any bit of moisture is welcome. Unfortunately the wind was blowing the storm away from us, but I looked up and noticed that the clouds were beginning to circulate in a clockwise motion. Mmmmm......I think we were under a super-cell of sorts. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera were dead so I didn't get a picture.

I moved away from hurricanes to the place where tornados form.

Amraann said:
Does anyone have the link for the satelite image ?
You should check with Buzz. I'm sure he can help you.:)

Dark Knight said:
T.S. Alberto has officially formed...here we go again!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060611...ical_weather_29

Yup - Tropical storm Alberto is expected to drop some MUCH NEEDED rain here in Florida. Only 2"-4" is predicted in the Orlando vicinity but that's certainly a welcomed help in putting out these massive wildfires that have devastated so much land & precious wildlife.

It sounds kinda weird to say that we are eagerly looking forward to this storm's arrival - but, we are. Nothing else will bring these horrendous fires under control. Besides - we desperately need the rain all over the state - just do NOT need the dangerous lightning that accompanies the storm!!

According to our local news tonight - the wind shouldn't be too bad with Alberto - somewhere between 45 to 60 mph tops. (Orlando & vicinity 25-30) Very manageable! :)

Buzz & DK - thank you for your timely reports & informative links. You guys are the best! :D

13th Juror .. in Central Fla

Almost a Hurricane
TROPICAL STORM ALBERTO ADVISORY NUMBER 10
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012006
1000 AM CDT MON JUN 12 2006

...AIR FORCE PLANE FINDS ALBERTO LOCATED FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST
AND STRONGER...

AT 10 AM CDT...1500 UTC...A HURRICANE WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR
THE GULF COAST OF FLORIDA FROM LONGBOAT KEY TO THE OCHLOCKONEE
RIVER.

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT SOUTH OF LONGBOAT KEY TO
ENGLEWOOD...AND WEST OF THE OCHLOCKONEE RIVER TO INDIAN PASS.
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SOUTH OF ENGLEWOOD TO
BONITA BEACH.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE INDICATE THAT THE
CENTER OF ALBERTO HAS REFORMED TO THE NORTHEAST OF ITS PREVIOUS
LOCATION.

AT 1000 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ALBERTO WAS
RELOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 85.9 WEST OR ABOUT
190 MILES...300 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF APALACHICOLA FLORIDA AND
ABOUT 220 MILES...355 KM...SOUTHWEST OF CEDAR KEY FLORIDA.

ALBERTO IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/HR
...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 70 MPH...110
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ALBERTO HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME A
HURRICANE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES...370
KM...TO THE NORTHEAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER. THE LARGE EXTENT
OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS MEANS THAT THESE WINDS WILL BE FELT
ALONG THE COAST WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE ARRIVAL OF THE CENTER.

THE HURRICANE HUNTERS RECENTLY REPORTED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE
OF 997 MB...29.44 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 8 TO 10 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED OVER A LARGE PORTION OF THE WARNING AREA.

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED
MAXIMUM AMOUNTS TO 10 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH TUESDAY ACROSS
PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN FLORIDA AND SOUTHEASTERN
GEORGIA...MAINLY ALONG AND TO THE RIGHT OF THE TRACK OF ALBERTO.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER CENTRAL FLORIDA TODAY AND
TONIGHT.

REPEATING THE 1000 AM CDT POSITION...27.1 N...85.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70
MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...997 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 100 PM CDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 400
PM CDT.

Satellite Image
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-avn.html

Tropical Storm Alberto Public Advisory
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/110231.shtml

Three Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/130629.shtml?3day?large

Five Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/130629.shtml?5day?large

Buzzm1 said:
Almost a Hurricane

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 70 MPH...110 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ALBERTO HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME A HURRICANE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 8 TO 10 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED OVER A LARGE PORTION OF THE WARNING AREA.

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS TO 10 INCHES ...ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH TUESDAY ACROSS
PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN FLORIDA AND SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...MAINLY ALONG AND TO THE RIGHT OF THE TRACK OF ALBERTO.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER CENTRAL FLORIDA TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THE 1000 AM CDT POSITION...27.1 N...85.9 W. MOVEMENT TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...70
MPH.

Thanks Buzz .. :)

Yes, since Alberto has strengthened to 70 mph - all Central Fla counties are already under a "tornado watch" until 5 pm today. (will probably be extended even further)

Due to the extreme coverage of the flooding devastation in New Orleans & the utter devastation of Louisiana & Mississippi's gulf coast area - many folks may have forgotten that Katrina traveled across South Fla first as a Cat 1 hurricane and wreaked some major damage including loss of life. A year later .. some of those affected areas are still in a recovery and rebuilding mode.

As "74" is the lowest required number for a Cat 1 (and we're almost there!) - I hope everyone in the affected areas is taking whatever precautions necessary to protect life & property.

Clearwater's mayor was just on the news warning residents to make preparations now as they will most likely lose power, etc. The storm is gaining strength as it goes through the warmer waters of the Gulf.

Looking at the bright side - at least our mid 90 degree temps have temporarily dropped into the breatheable 70's - a welcome relief! :)

13th Juror

The header for this Forum is News Weather and Sports so this is the proper forum.

tybee204 said:
The header for this Forum is News Weather and Sports so this is the proper forum.

Hi Tybee :)

I totally agree - this is where the info belongs.

Is it possible for you to combine the 2 threads - incorporate the Alberto storm thread in the Jury Room with this one in "Up to the Minute"?

It would certainly make sense and be more convenient for everyone. :)

Thanks ...

13th Juror

4:20 PM EDT...
Edited 2 add - Thanks for the merge, Tybee. Much appreciated. You're the best! :D

Hi there we live about 40 miles north of Tampa as a matter of fact I just got back from Tampa :) I took my sister that was down from out of state to the airport we are having heavy rains off and on it's cloudy but as of yet we have no high winds. They have just issused Tornado warnings for us and other countys. Our local weather channel is saying that this tropical storm seems to be getting alittle stronger and there is a good chance it will turn into a category 1 hurricane.

Forecasters issued a hurricane warning for Florida's Gulf Coast on Monday as Tropical Storm Alberto, the first named storm of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season, quickly and unexpectedly gained strength.

Officials warned that some areas could see a storm surge of up to 10 feet. Rain was already falling and two tornados had formed, although no injuries or damage were reported, the National Weather Service said.

"We're talking about powerful forces of nature," Gov. Jeb Bush said. "People need to take this very seriously."

Bush signed a declaration of emergency that allows him to call up the National Guard and put in place laws against price gouging.

Meteorologists initially thought Alberto wouldn't reach hurricane strength, but the storm's sustained wind accelerated from 50 mph to 70 mph in a three-hour period Monday morning, the National Hurricane Center said. The minimum wind speed for a hurricane is 74 mph.

"This potentially could be a hurricane, it has a potential wide impact for a lot of people in our state," Bush told the emergency response team monitoring the storm in Tallahassee.

The hurricane warning, extending about 200 miles from Longboat Key near Sarasota to the Ochlockonee River south of Tallahassee, meant Alberto was expected to produce hurricane conditions within the next 24 hours.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060612/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather_46&printer=1

Wow! Thoughts and prayers to all of you on the gulf coast of Florida!!

Alberto seems to be veering more towards the North, i.e., the Panhandle and away from Clearwater/Tampa area - we had a lot of MUCH NEEDED raIn all day, but it has stopped for now!!! At least my plants are all happy!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back