Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #2

My heart still breaks for the Graves family something so tragic and horrible had to happen for Disney to now put up signs that say "Danger Alligators and snakes."

Originally stating No Swimming and across the other side of the lagoon a warning sign of alligators was already there.

I'm sure we haven't heard all of the story yet.

I have family on vacation in Florida now which worries me to no end. JMO

RIP Lane Graves 🌹

Personally, I am not satisfied with the answer Disney has given on whether they caught the actual alligator that attacked this child.
I cannot quote exactly, my mind went blank, it was something like, we think we got it, we euthanized five alligators. The investigation is over.

From this, it sounds like they did not get it! Think is not a yes or no answer. The ME has the bite marks range and teeth impressions from dad too.

Why doesn't Disney be a bit more proactive and capture more of the big gators out of the lagoon around their beach areas? Is it just a matter of time until the lagoon becomes too dangerous due to the alligator population? I think Disney needs to be designing a major overhaul / renovation as to how they will block the lagoon off from their property. These critters are hard to contain, however, as it stands they have a walk-on ability to much of Disney property. What was once a pretty feature, the lagoon and bay, has now become a liability. It is not going to get any better!

My opinions only.
BBM. I've been thinking similar things. Since the lagoon is man-made, not nature made, can't it be filled/taken out somehow rather than constantly going after a certain size gator- which is proving to be ineffective???

BBM. I've been thinking similar things. Since the lagoon is man-made, not nature made, can't it be filled/taken out somehow rather than constantly going after a certain size gator- which is proving to be ineffective???
They use the lake as a ferry system, plus jet ski rentals and these mini speedboats as well as paddle boats. No word on whether water ports have been cancelled. So they make $$ on these lakes. I wouldn't use a jet ski in that lake knowing alligators could be below me yuck. (Never liked murky lakes anyway).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I lived in Fla for 4 years.(1967-1971....Orange Park and Sanford near Orlando..............we had chain link fences every where. I heard rumors of gators getting dogs and cats, but only saw 1 crossing a road.

I just came back from Fla., we took one of our grandchildren w/us. Had a wonderful time. We saw two baby gators at one of those big fruit stands. That was it. But we were never near fresh water and I always check the pool in Fla. before we get in. However, in past years when we went to Fla., and I've been going to Fla. on vacation for decades now, as well as other places, I've seen plenty of gators, when I was near their habitat, which is most often, fresh water, near banks, and reedy areas. I've seen them at other Florida tourist spots other than Disney (us being the tourists) lying around the fresh water areas. When I was a child, and went to Fla., you rarely ever saw one b/c they were endangered. Well, that's changed. They won't lift them from the endangered list b/c they say they look too much like the American Crocodile (which is endangered). If you can't tell the difference in the two then you shouldn't be hunting in the first place. However, I digress, if you don't want to go to Fla. b/c of the number of alligators, then I'd recommend not going to Louisiana either b/c they have even more than Fla. You might also want to strike Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Texas off of your list too. It is absolutely horrific what happened to that little boy. I can't even imagine what he felt, it is heartbreaking, and what his parents are still feeling, is just beyond what I can imagine, but, the fact is, that we live in conjunction with wild animals in may places. Bears are coming back to the area here. I'd never heard of a bear in these parts and two were caught on film rambling around just recently. I'm now going to be more cautious. A wild animal jumped out at us on our property not long ago, thankfully my dog was with me and was capable of taking care of the matter. But you are more likely to be killed by a dog, a snake or in a car collision than by an alligator. Even cows kill more people each year than alligators. We can't cry save this species, or save that species, and then not understand why they are in areas that they consider "home". Gators can even climb fences if they want into somewhere badly enough. Again, I feel for this family, especially the little boy. But to demonize Fla., or Disney, b/c gators were in fresh water doing what gators do, I just can't go there. I can't blame the parents either. It was just a horrible tragedy. Sometimes horrible tragedies just happen.

We decided about 3 yrs ago to stop going to Florida for vacations. Same with most areas in the southern US. Been there, done that. <mod snip>

I lived in Fla for 4 years.(1967-1971....Orange Park and Sanford near Orlando..............we had chain link fences every where. I heard rumors of gators getting dogs and cats, but only saw 1 crossing a road.

That was the time period that they were on the endangered list. You really had to look hard to see one out in its normal habitat. By the late 70s they were making a comeback and now they are in no real danger of extinction. I'd not get into any freshwater pond, or near the edge of one, in the entire state of Fla., unless I was maybe on an air-boat. Lake Okeechobee is chock full of them. My fil and mil would go down to spend winters there and he'd go night fishing out on the lake. He said if you shined a light out there that they had a certain type of eyeshine and the whole lake was full of shiny eyeballs, and some would come right up to your boat. This was in the 90s, and by the early 2000's there was a count of nearly 30,000 gators just in Lake Okeechobee. Getting around fresh water in Fla is just not a good idea.

We decided about 3 yrs ago to stop going to Florida for vacations. Same with most areas in the southern US. Been there, done that. <mod snip>

Awwww, bless your heart, you must get bored easily! Because there's tons of stuff to do here in the south other than get near wildlife. I understand some folks are scared of the wildlife. But if it's the wildlife, which was the topic of my post, I have to say, I've encountered wildlife, in most states I've visited, and there's always at least ONE of those people who are doing exactly what the signs say NOT to do. Like trying to take a selfie with an elk, or feeding the bears, and that's what usually causes problems. But, back to the South, we have some of the most friendly people, best eating, and just the most beautiful country, of the whole U.S.A. I've traveled all over the United States, sea to shining sea, and found Colorado to rank a close 2nd to my home-state, and I like NYC pretty well too. Of course, I'm from Appalachia, and we're considered the south in my region of Appalachia, so I guess I'm a bit partial. Sorry you found the south so unappealing. There's a couple states that I've visited that I'd not go back to, but, I'll not mention them by region nor name. :)

I grew up in central FL, just a few miles from what is now WDW. You can't just make the lakes go away. WDW was built on what was originally wetlands and lakes. That is how those now lakes were formed. All that water had to go somewhere. It was also the natural habitat of gators. They have always been there. The only difference now than then is that their numbers were low when WDW was being built. Now that they have been a protected species for so long, they have no natural enemies and we are seeing a population boom in gators. Something is going to have to be done. When I was growing up, we weren't afraid of gators in lakes. But all that has changed now.

http://news10.com/2016/06/24/report...kes-characters-from-rides-after-gator-attack/

Walt Disney World is removing reptile jokes and characters from rides and attractions after an alligator grabbed and killed a 2-year-old boy last week.

I hope WDW doesn't go too far with knee jerk reactions to this. The signs were needed in the first place and it makes sense to warn people to avoid waters where gators could be. But removing gator related rides and attractions sounds extreme to me.
I suppose WDW may have done surveys and did some research and maybe they are finding that the reminders are giving the guests negative thoughts when they see reminders so maybe there is a reason they are doing things which sound extreme.

Hopefully they wont go too far because I agree with some others that gators are a part of the wildlife and this was a tragedy and we cant just put our head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

I feel for the parents and also for WDW. It has become obvious that WDW used the wildlife down there to help people enjoy their vacations and an occasional gator sighting where people would ooooh and awwwww was probably a good thing and not a bad thing. Its only become a bad thing due to the tragedy.

The thing that surprised me the most was that the signs were not there to begin with. That really floored me because it seems common sense would have had warning signs about the gators. Its possible they thought the no wading signs would be enough but unsuspecting tourists may not make the connection to danger of gators. Tourists may have thought the warnings was just about drowning.

Its a tragedy for all involved and I am sure WDW never expected this terrible tragedy. I hope they don't go too far with removing anything gator related. I really think all they need to do is put up the signs and maybe add some protective fencing to limit the possibility of the tragedy ever happening again.

If they go too far with it that would be another tragedy because no matter what they do there is always going to be some crazy tourist that climbs a fence and gets himself in danger. Just take some reasonable steps to prevent it and the people would respect WDW efforts to keep them safe.

Thanks to all the locals in FL who have added their insights to this discussion. It is much appreciated.

I grew up in central FL, just a few miles from what is now WDW. You can't just make the lakes go away. WDW was built on what was originally wetlands and lakes. That is how those now lakes were formed. All that water had to go somewhere. It was also the natural habitat of gators. They have always been there. The only difference now than then is that their numbers were low when WDW was being built. Now that they have been a protected species for so long, they have no natural enemies and we are seeing a population boom in gators. Something is going to have to be done. When I was growing up, we weren't afraid of gators in lakes. But all that has changed now.

Something else that Fla is going to have to deal with at some point is the non-native constrictors. They have a hunting season on them now, but, honestly it either needs to be longer or just year around. They are non-native and they are going to wipe out native species.

I hope WDW doesn't go too far with knee jerk reactions to this. The signs were needed in the first place and it makes sense to warn people to avoid waters where gators could be. But removing gator related rides and attractions sounds extreme to me.
I suppose WDW may have done surveys and did some research and maybe they are finding that the reminders are giving the guests negative thoughts when they see reminders so maybe there is a reason they are doing things which sound extreme.

Hopefully they wont go too far because I agree with some others that gators are a part of the wildlife and this was a tragedy and we cant just put our head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

I feel for the parents and also for WDW. It has become obvious that WDW used the wildlife down there to help people enjoy their vacations and an occasional gator sighting where people would ooooh and awwwww was probably a good thing and not a bad thing. Its only become a bad thing due to the tragedy.

The thing that surprised me the most was that the signs were not there to begin with. That really floored me because it seems common sense would have had warning signs about the gators. Its possible they thought the no wading signs would be enough but unsuspecting tourists may not make the connection to danger of gators. Tourists may have thought the warnings was just about drowning.

Its a tragedy for all involved and I am sure WDW never expected this terrible tragedy. I hope they don't go too far with removing anything gator related. I really think all they need to do is put up the signs and maybe add some protective fencing to limit the possibility of the tragedy ever happening again.

If they go too far with it that would be another tragedy because no matter what they do there is always going to be some crazy tourist that climbs a fence and gets himself in danger. Just take some reasonable steps to prevent it and the people would respect WDW efforts to keep them safe.

BBM While this wasn't technically the case in this instance, it does happen, a lot. Our EMTs and rescue teams have to go out and rescue folks, usually they're from out of state, all of the time b/c they over estimate their skill level when going into the mountains, some don't make it out alive either. Then there's folks like this guy, who was visiting Machu Pichu;
http://6abc.com/news/tourist-falls-to-death-posing-for-photo-at-machu-picchu-in-peru/1414450/ We don't live in a bubble wrap world. We can't make everyone 100% safe from themselves.

I went to University of Florida in the late 80's, was walking to class on the dirt path that is next to one of the main roads, adjacent to trees that buffer Lake Alice. Turning a corner there was a 10-12 foot gator in my path. I went out into the street to go around it (cars had stopped). They relocated him somewhere off campus because he had grown unafraid of people. (Students would feed them marshmallows and cheese whiz). Alligators are in Florida. I wouldn't hang out near swampy water or lakes. Check swimming pools before getting in. And I wouldn't walk around nature type areas at night. But please still enjoy Florida.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TMZ is reporting the family will NOT sue Disney and they are focusing on Lane's foundation. I certainly hope Disney has made a contribution to the foundation and works as hard as possible in preventing this tragedy happening again.

im sure Disney has either settled or given to their foundation.

I felt they shouldn't have sued.
And gators can climb fences....one was videoed down in fort myers on a golf course crawling the fence.

And gators can climb fences....one was videoed down in fort myers on a golf course crawling the fence.

The fence they put up isn't to keep gators out. It's to keep people out of the water.

Completely agree. Really don't want the whole debate to get started again BUT this is Florida and gators are EVERYWHERE!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back