Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #2

July 20, 2016
12:41 pm EST

Family of Lane Graves, Toddler Killed in Alligator Attack, Won't Sue Disney

The family of a toddler who was killed after an alligator snatched him at a Disney resort has decided not to sue.

"Melissa and I are broken. We will forever struggle to comprehend why this happened to our sweet baby, Lane," Matt and Melissa Graves said in a statement Wednesday. "As each day passes, the pain gets worse, but we truly appreciate the outpouring of sympathy and warm sentiments we have received from around the world."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...gator-attack-won-t-sue-n613311?client=safari#

Completely agree. Really don't want the whole debate to get started again BUT this is Florida and gators are EVERYWHERE!!

Not being from Florida, they didn't know that. I wouldn't have known either. You don't expect them at a Disney property, and the signs were inadequate. Disneyland has no such issues like gators. The signs saying "No Lifeguards" merely suggests drowning hazards, not alligators! Disney was at fault and I would have sued!:notgood:

Not being from Florida, they didn't know that. I wouldn't have known either. You don't expect them at a Disney property, and the signs were inadequate. Disneyland has no such issues like gators. The signs saying "No Lifeguards" merely suggests drowning hazards, not alligators! Disney was at fault and I would have sued!:notgood:
I feel like the reason they didn't sue is that it would just prolong the pain for the family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

They have 2 years to sue, I'll be shocked if they do not file before the 2 years is over. I would have sued too and hope they do. They can use the money to start some sort of fund in honor of Lane if they do not want it, or use it towards their children's (any future) schooling.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney just offered them money. It would be the right thing to do so this family wouldn't have to go to court and all that. At the very least, I hope Disney donated to the fund in his name.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney just offered them money. It would be the right thing to do so this family wouldn't have to go to court and all that. At the very least, I hope Disney donated to the fund in his name.

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me either. In fact, I am thinking that Disney did offer them a settlement perhaps with a gag order in exchange for not suing. If a lawsuit came about, the media would continue to report on the issue. Disney wants this whole incident completely forgotten. I love going to Disney but behind all that "magic" there is the desire to make money and lots of it. I am sure they feel horrible but I am also sure they must have had a team of attorneys and marketing advisors working around the clock from day one.

I have not commented at all on this case and can see both sides. This was a freak incident but after reading all of the articles and listening to both sides, I think Disney could have better warned the public. Signs warning of alligators versus a "No Swimming" sign conjure up very different reactions (at least for me). When I am at Disney, I feel safer (and yes that may be a false sense of security but they are good at creating it and spend lots of money on that image).

Disney purposely places trash cans 15 steps apart because after 15 steps of holding trash, people tend to litter. I mention that because alot of thinking and analysis goes into every move they make. I am sure someone had to consider the risk of alligators in that lake and the proximity to the hotels. Perhaps the results of their research proved that the public's perception of signs along every establishment near the shallow end of the lake did not outweigh the odds of this happening combined with them actively removing alligators. I am not suggesting this is exactly what happened but I do believe every move is calculated and if this was truly an oversight, the next step would be to rectify the mistake both publicly (new signs) and privately. If mistakes do happen, I think Disney has teams to remediate. Ths is an empire that has a well funded army of brilliant advisors on board. I don't think they want this lingering in the news or reappearing within 2 years if the couple decided to sue.

Again all of this is purely my opinion and if no settlement was involved, I would be shocked. I am not the type to sue and have never been in court for such purposes but this couple encountered the greatest loss of all. Money will never make things right or bring back their beautiful son. I can't say how I would react because I would not want to be put through the torture of a legal battle but I think I would have to go to court if Disney did not try to settle with me privately. In fact, if they made no offer to me - I would be even more angry. It would come down to two questions in my mind: 1) Did you know there were alligators in the lake? yes they did. 2) What did you do to warn the public of the presence of alligators? Case closed.

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me either. In fact, I am thinking that Disney did offer them a settlement perhaps with a gag order in exchange for not suing. If a lawsuit came about, the media would continue to report on the issue. Disney wants this whole incident completely forgotten. I love going to Disney but behind all that "magic" there is the desire to make money and lots of it. I am sure they feel horrible but I am also sure they must have had a team of attorneys and marketing advisors working around the clock from day one.

I have not commented at all on this case and can see both sides. This was a freak incident but after reading all of the articles and listening to both sides, I think Disney could have better warned the public. Signs warning of alligators versus a "No Swimming" sign conjure up very different reactions (at least for me). When I am at Disney, I feel safer (and yes that may be a false sense of security but they are good at creating it and spend lots of money on that image).

Disney purposely places trash cans 15 steps apart because after 15 steps of holding trash, people tend to litter. I mention that because alot of thinking and analysis goes into every move they make. I am sure someone had to consider the risk of alligators in that lake and the proximity to the hotels. Perhaps the results of their research proved that the public's perception of signs along every establishment near the shallow end of the lake did not outweigh the odds of this happening combined with them actively removing alligators. I am not suggesting this is exactly what happened but I do believe every move is calculated and if this was truly an oversight, the next step would be to rectify the mistake both publicly (new signs) and privately. If mistakes do happen, I think Disney has teams to remediate. Ths is an empire that has a well funded army of brilliant advisors on board. I don't think they want this lingering in the news or reappearing within 2 years if the couple decided to sue.

Again all of this is purely my opinion and if no settlement was involved, I would be shocked. I am not the type to sue and have never been in court for such purposes but this couple encountered the greatest loss of all. Money will never make things right or bring back their beautiful son. I can't say how I would react because I would not want to be put through the torture of a legal battle but I think I would have to go to court if Disney did not try to settle with me privately. In fact, if they made no offer to me - I would be even more angry. It would come down to two questions in my mind: 1) Did you know there were alligators in the lake? yes they did. 2) What did you do to warn the public of the presence of alligators? Case closed.

Agreed, I'm very familiar with how they work Disneyland. They don't want anyone to see behind the facade. I didn't mean to imply that I was sue-happy- far from it. Someone wanted me to sue the ice skating rink and the Girl Scouts when I broke my ankle at a Girl-Scout sponsored Ice skating event. I said, no, it was an accident that was my fault.
My knowledge of alligators in Florida was only the ones shown in swamps on TV shows.

Agreed, I'm very familiar with how they work Disneyland. They don't want anyone to see behind the facade. I didn't mean to imply that I was sue-happy- far from it. Someone wanted me to sue the ice skating rink and the Girl Scouts when I broke my ankle at a Girl-Scout sponsored Ice skating event. I said, no, it was an accident that was my fault.
My knowledge of alligators in Florida was only the ones shown in swamps on TV shows.

No worries - I did not gather from your post that you were sue-happy. I would be shocked if in this situation - the average person would not want to sue unless a settlement was brought forth that would avoid having to live the tragedy all over again. But yet, I have seen victims forgive and move on and those individuals are emotionally and spiritually far greater than I. I am working on it but have not yet achieved their level of pure goodness.

Totally forgot that I had seen an article where Disney execs were putting together a package for them and anyone else that witnessed it.

I watched Lone Star Law last night, they've had a few alligator episodes where they will capture aggressive alligators, bringing them to a nature preserve where they won't come into contact with people. They also capture ones that appear injured or ones that would let people get too close to it; for fear they'd kill it just for the trophy catch. It sounds as though Disney was removing similar alligators as needed.

According to the final report from The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Lane Graves, 2, died from trauma to his head and drowning.

The attack occurred around 8 p.m. after the Graves family went out to the beach to watch “Zootopia,” the report said. Lane was building sand castles while waiting for the movie to start. Lane went to the water's edge to get a bucket of water to pour on the sand. When he did, his father, Matt, saw a splash.

When Matt turned toward Lane, he saw an alligator bite his son's head. Lane was in water that was ankle-deep or less at the time.

Matt jumped in and tried to save Lane, but the alligator fought back and ultimately took off into deeper water.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/berkele...or-attack-boy-was-snatched-by-head-state-says

So horrific. :(

There are still many blue ribbons in my neighborhood so I think of Lane and his family often.

I was just coming to report this. Sadly it just gets worse. I had hoped the little guy was grabbed by the ankle and drowned, but now the news of being bitten in the head... Just hope he died quickly and didn't feel much pain.

I see Lane's 3rd birthday is coming up soon. Just a couple weeks before my son's 3rd birthday. I cannot even imagine what they will go through on that day. I am so sad.

In the report, it looks like he had one wound (from 1 tooth) to the neck and one to the head from just 1 bite. And then he was released. So I am hoping the initial bite knocked him out quickly or something. I mean, that's the best you can hope for in this case, I think.

​Hundreds gather to celebrate Lane Graves' 3rd birthday
The family of a boy killed by an alligator at Walt Disney World in June celebrated what would have been his third birthday on Saturday as friends and families gathered to release balloons in his memory.

The group stood in a heart shape and released 5,000 blue balloons at Elkhorn South High School’s football field, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back