Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

I think I've had Vermont maple syrup before. Can't lie, it was really good but I'm Canadian and I don't think we're allowed to like other peoples maple syrup?

I love a good "greasy spoon" breakfast though! I also like to put all the bacon on a wire rack over a dish and bake until crispy. Then sprinkle brown sugar and a little maple syrup over it while the oven cools down. Even the bits at the bottom of the dish that caramelize and mix with the syrup and turn into a sort of bacon candy. You can add black pepper or cinnamon if you want a bit of dimension and kick to it but usually I don't do that. Even Montreal steak spice. It's so good!!
Mmm, I think I have to try your bacon recipe! I've never cooked bacon that way.

The quest for the best burger in metro Detroit continues. I don't know how many of these there are going to be. The pair haven't ever mentioned how many burger joints they plan to visit or how long the search will continue.

I don't think I posted this one from last month.

This thread is dangerous.

Now I’m craving:
a hamburger,
bacon,
and pancakes (so I can pour maple syrup over them)!

AND I want to be on the lookout for a can of Blue Runner Red Beans to try, and even want to taste the rice-cereal concoction! :p (while wondering how it would be with Japanese short-grain rice, since that is what I most often have…)

This thread is dangerous.

Now I’m craving:
a hamburger,
bacon,
and pancakes (so I can pour maple syrup over them)!

AND I want to be on the lookout for a can of Blue Runner Red Beans to try, and even want to taste the rice-cereal concoction! :p (while wondering how it would be with Japanese short-grain rice, since that is what I most often have…)
I’m sure you could use short grain rice instead of long grain rice for breakfast rice. Short grain rice is starchy and sticky compared to long grain rice, so I would suggest rinsing it after cooking it, before simmering in milk.

I’m craving pancakes with butter and maple syrup now.

The other day we made Caldo de Res, which is a delicious Mexican beef soup with chunky vegetables. We made too much, and didn’t want to have soup again, so I had the idea to convert it into a stew by thickening the broth and adding some beef “Better than Bouillon”. Worked great! I love when you can “repurpose” leftovers into another dish.

Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious.

I do use long-grain rice for other dishes, though. Like for the caldo de res, I made Mexican rice with it. If I make pilaf, I use it. So, I always have both types of rice in my kitchen.
OMG I love Better than Bouillion. I've done the veg version and the grilled onion version. They are so awesome.

I made a cheater vegan hamburger with the grilled onion one, the burger was actually pretty good (a lotta beets, a lotta beans, lotta nutritional yeast, lotta seasonings, but not fully vegan since I can't part with Worcestershire sauce, I have no idea if I spelled that right). The thing was, though, it was so... pudding like. My son said it actually ate and tasted for the most part like a burger (that was good). But the pudding-y consistency. I mean, I am wondering if something like xantham gum might help, I've got no idea. I probably should have ground up some mushrooms and kept some in larger fragments and tried that. (Mmm, but thinking on that, unless I get the moisture out of them first, that could actually make it worse.)

Seeing a lot of people mentioning ground beef and rice. Has anyone done a loco moco? SOOOoooo yummy.

Gonna try the Zimmern dish cuz I love Andrew Zimmern.

Interesting article: Why Pizza Tastes Better at Restaurants, According to Chefs

I like this pizza stone information. I've been using pizza stones for quite a few years, and using a pizza stone can make even frozen pizza taste much better.

"For great pizza at home, the first thing you'll want to add is a pizza stone or baking steel to your oven and make sure to heat it up for at least 45 minutes at [your oven's] highest heat before cooking your pizza," says Baldwin. "You won't be able to get as much heat as a full-size pizza oven, but it will get you quite a bit closer to it." For a similar outcome to using a stone or steel, Ancona recommends using unglazed tiles in your oven to help retain the heat. "Bake them for a solid hour before your first pie, then let them reheat for 15 to 20 minutes in between pizzas," he says. This trick works with a pizza stone or baking steel as well.

I like this pizza stone information. I've been using pizza stones for quite a few years, and using a pizza stone can make even frozen pizza taste much better.

"For great pizza at home, the first thing you'll want to add is a pizza stone or baking steel to your oven and make sure to heat it up for at least 45 minutes at [your oven's] highest heat before cooking your pizza," says Baldwin. "You won't be able to get as much heat as a full-size pizza oven, but it will get you quite a bit closer to it." For a similar outcome to using a stone or steel, Ancona recommends using unglazed tiles in your oven to help retain the heat. "Bake them for a solid hour before your first pie, then let them reheat for 15 to 20 minutes in between pizzas," he says. This trick works with a pizza stone or baking steel as well.
I turn a pie pan upside down and grease what would usually be the outside bottom of it I rev up the stove and use the greased upside-down cake pan as a makeshift "pizza stone." Crust turned out great with that.

For frozen pizzas, I always use convection bake at a slightly higher temperature and reduce the cooking time. I also have been known to add extra freshly shredded cheese on the top!

Last week we went to a California Pizza Kitchen Restaurant, I had forgotten how good they are. We had not been in years. We had the BBQ Chicken Salad, the Chicken/Gouda BBQ Pizza and the Carne Asada Pizza. It was all great!

Has anyone tried the frozen CPK pizza's?

For frozen pizzas, I always use convection bake at a slightly higher temperature and reduce the cooking time. I also have been known to add extra freshly shredded cheese on the top!

Last week we went to a California Pizza Kitchen Restaurant, I had forgotten how good they are. We had not been in years. We had the BBQ Chicken Salad, the Chicken/Gouda BBQ Pizza and the Carne Asada Pizza. It was all great!

Has anyone tried the frozen CPK pizza's?
I think we tried one long ago. I don't remember it being any better than any other frozen pizza.

I went soup shopping last week and decided to stick with Cream of Celery Healthy Choice for the hash brown casserole. I'm going to make it again tomorrow. I'll just pick out some of the big chunks of celery.

The Cream of Potato Soup would be ideal but the sodium content is 750. There wasn't a Healthy Choice version at the big Publix. There is a gluten free cream of chicken that my oldest would be able to have.

I went soup shopping last week and decided to stick with Cream of Celery Healthy Choice for the hash brown casserole. I'm going to make it again tomorrow. I'll just pick out some of the big chunks of celery.

The Cream of Potato Soup would be ideal but the sodium content is 750. There wasn't a Healthy Choice version at the big Publix. There is a gluten free cream of chicken that my oldest would be able to have.
Omg that is way too much sodium! You could strain the celery out or zip it in the food processor, maybe? Idk but that's what my gran does.

Omg that is way too much sodium! You could strain the celery out or zip it in the food processor, maybe? Idk but that's what my gran does.
Do this one:

This is a Steven Satterfeld recipe that Alton Brown loves, and I made it, and seriously, it's awesome. It's so, so good. From source: “'Celery cream' is a simple idea: steep cream with celery, aromatics and herbs, then strain and use. This is the basis for one of Miller Union’s signature dishes, which we serve as a first course, but makes an outstanding breakfast or brunch entrée at home. I’ve come to realize that its power is in its simplicity, but timing is everything. A farm egg is cracked into a ramekin and doused in the warm celery-infused cream, then baked until the white is cooked through and not a second longer. The briny hint of celery permeates the thickened cream as it becomes one with the egg white. The best way to eat it is to puncture the runny yolk with a corner of your bread and drag it straight through the molten mixture of savory cream and just-set white on the way to your mouth. Although we serve this year-round, in the winter we add some of the freshly harvested celery from our local farms."

I've done it without straining cuz I love veggies, it's awesome.

If you’re looking for low sodium, you seen the Campbell’s Unsalted Soups? They make Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, and Tomato.

Do this one:

This is a Steven Satterfeld recipe that Alton Brown loves, and I made it, and seriously, it's awesome. It's so, so good. From source: “'Celery cream' is a simple idea: steep cream with celery, aromatics and herbs, then strain and use. This is the basis for one of Miller Union’s signature dishes, which we serve as a first course, but makes an outstanding breakfast or brunch entrée at home. I’ve come to realize that its power is in its simplicity, but timing is everything. A farm egg is cracked into a ramekin and doused in the warm celery-infused cream, then baked until the white is cooked through and not a second longer. The briny hint of celery permeates the thickened cream as it becomes one with the egg white. The best way to eat it is to puncture the runny yolk with a corner of your bread and drag it straight through the molten mixture of savory cream and just-set white on the way to your mouth. Although we serve this year-round, in the winter we add some of the freshly harvested celery from our local farms."

I've done it without straining cuz I love veggies, it's awesome.
This sounds like a great recipe! I don’t ever strain the veggies out of my soup recipes, I just leave them in or use an immersion blender.

I didn’t think of that. Good idea. I did pick out some of the chunks this morning. I also baked only 1/2 of it. I put the other 1/2 in the freezer unbaked. That seemed to be the consensus online, freeze unbaked.

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
If you’re looking for low sodium, you seen the Campbell’s Unsalted Soups? They make Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, and Tomato.

Yes and they’d work in some instances. We’re allergic to mushrooms. My youngest doesn’t eat meat but can have a little wheat (no barley, rye tho). My oldest can’t have any gluten but she does eat meat. Cooking is an adventure every single day! LOL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43
Back