GUILTY GA - Skylar Dials, 9, Griffin, 21 December 2012

According to a neighbor, who did not want to be identified, Skylar was a very smart, fun-loving girl who used to have sleep-over's with his daughter.

Walking away from the crime scene the man said to CBS Atlanta's Mike Paluska, "How do I tell my 10-year-old daughter, her best friend is dead?"
====================================================

So is this neighbor the person who found her?

Seems odd that the dogs and the search teams said they could not find her initially
but her best friend's father was able to....hmmmmmm....?

Jumping back to my post from in the middle of the night last night, I was feeling HINKY about that neighbor when I heard his initial words. Is this the SAME guy they were interviewing?

He was Johnny-On-The-Spot, which is suspicious, and he was making it all about HIMSELF. [ how can I tell my 10 yr old...whine..whine...]

I wonder if this is the suspect?

I would really like to know what led to his arrest. The article above said that they were just finishing the search of his home so it wasn't something found in that since just now finishing up. I'm kind of leaning towards he confessed or told someone. Very disturbing that poor Skylar played there often and most likely trusted him. Also someone on one of the first pages maybe Katydid? Suspected this neighbor after his comments to the press, good intuition!

MOO and all that jazz.

Yes, I posted my suspicions last night because of his interview in the paper. Instead of expressing concern about the DEAD child, he made it all about himself. " How am I going to tell my 10 yr old her friend is dead?"

I would think his first thoughts would have been gratefulness his 1o yr old was still alive.

And I thought it weird that he was right there at the crime scene, ready to comment. Sometimes we have seen the killer's pop up just like that before.

An arrest has been made.

Spalding County authorities arrested a 40-year-old Griffin man in the slaying of a 9-year-old girl who was found dead early Saturday after being reported missing.
Sheriff Wendell Beam said Shane Clifton Collett of 678 Yarbrough Mill Road, was arrested in the death of Skylar Dials, who had been missing since Friday afternoon. Skylar’s body was found around 2 a.m. Saturday.
“Mr. Collett has been charged with murder, kidnapping and concealing a death and is currently being held in the Spalding County Sheriff’s Office Detention Center without bond,” Beam said. The sheriff did not say what led them to Collett, who lived a short distance from where Skylar lived with an aunt.
The sheriff said investigators were still awaiting results of an autopsy, which will determine the cause of death.
The search for Skylar, who attended Orrs Elementary School in Griffin, started around 4 p.m. Friday and ended around 2 a.m. Saturday. Her body was discovered in a wooded area off a gravel stretch of Yarbrough Mill Road.
Beam did not say how long the girl’s body had been at the location, how she may have died or who found the body. SNIP

This is such a oddly low profile case. Were it not for me looking for an old new story on the AJC website I would never have known. RIP Skylar Dials.

I would really like to know what led to his arrest. The article above said that they were just finishing the search of his home so it wasn't something found in that since just now finishing up. I'm kind of leaning towards he confessed or told someone. Very disturbing that poor Skylar played there often and most likely trusted him. Also someone on one of the first pages maybe Katydid? Suspected this neighbor after his comments to the press, good intuition!

MOO and all that jazz.

I'm guessing the scratches on his face and neck area tipped police off. JMO

Beam said Skylar’s body was transported to the GBI crime lab for autopsy to determine the cause of death.
He did acknowledge the body was clothed at the time it was located.

http://the-grip.net/2012/12/22/neighbor-arrested-for-murder-of-nine-year-old-skylar-dials/

This is WEIRD.

With his daughter dying January 2, 2007... (I checked, that's the day it was, not December.)
Skylar dies just before the anniversary... he still had a picture of his daughter on his facebook.

I think this very well may be a psychological thing and not a pedophile thing.

Now of course if it comes out that Skylar was assaulted, that is totally different. But at this point I'm really wondering about this one.

I'll be interested to see the cause of death. If it's not something premeditated or super violent... I will really wonder even more.

At this point, I have to agree that it was something psychologically related to his daughters death and the approaching holidays. I don't see anything that would be of sexual nature in this horrific crime.

I just thought of something, if they did that interview before LE announced she was dead/murdered, that would be a HUGE red flag. But I have no idea on the timing. Just thinking...
Imo

I honestly think this was a psychological killing rather than any sort of pedophilia based one. JMO

He was the father of this deceased child that should have been 9.
(due to birth defects)
Living with a female who had a daughter that was 10 and killed the
9 year old friend???

wow.

Actually his deceased daughter would have turned 10 in February of 2012 and would be about to turn 11 this coming February.

I'm not ready to dismiss any possibilities. It looks like he is no longer with his daughters mother. If he had problems with children near his daughters age, why date someone with a daughter near the age of his deceased daughter?

I just thought of something, if they did that interview before LE announced she was dead/murdered, that would be a HUGE red flag. But I have no idea on the timing. Just thinking...
Imo

If they found her at 2am, wouldn't the interview have been before 2am? I don't have sound, so I don't view the video's. Anyone recall what time the perp was interviewed?

According to a neighbor, who did not want to be identified, Skylar was a very smart, fun-loving girl who used to have sleepovers with his daughter.

Walking away from the crime scene the man said to CBS Atlanta's Mike Paluska, "How do I tell my 10-year-old daughter her best friend is dead?"

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/20407680/breaking-news-missing-9-year-old-girl

Hmmmm....the neighbor that didn't want to be identified????

If it is, I think he did snap.....if it is, unbelievable....

here's the article

ETA - original article written 9:55 pm on 12/21/12; her body was found around 2:00 am on 12/22/12

here's the article

ETA - original article written 9:55 pm on 12/21/12; her body was found around 2:00 am on 12/22/12

Thanks!

So he did say she was 'dead' before she was found (as I was thinking might have happened)??

Thanks!

So he did say she was 'dead' before she was found (as I was thinking might have happened)??

If he was the neighbor the reporter talked to, Yes.
There was no video of his interview but the reporter would know. :what:

ETA: but the article does say.....walking away from the crime scene....

Thanks!

I don't think so. I was up all night worried about Skylar, and obsessively searching and refreshing looking for any little piece of news, and posting any little thing I found that was new. Other people were also here posting anything they could find.

The earliest post here of that quote I see is 5:58am. If there had been anything posted about her body being found, or her being dead, before it was reported, there would have been an uproar on here. We were all very concerned about Skylar.

The best thing to do would be to email the reporter, ask if it was the perp, and ask what time he posted that in the article. Reporters frequently take the same article and edit it and republish it. Several news outlets were doing that during the night.

If he was the neighbor the reporter talked to, Yes.
There was no video of his interview but the reporter would know. :what:

ETA: but the article does say.....walking away from the crime scene....

Maybe the reporter told LE.

All I can say, the family is fortunate she was found quickly and a perp arrested immediately. If someone is already dead, this result is the best you can hope for and it doesn't happen for a lot of families.

I don't think so. I was up all night worried about Skylar, and obsessively searching and refreshing looking for any little piece of news, and posting any little thing I found that was new. Other people were also here posting anything they could find.

The earliest post here of that quote I see is 5:58am. If there had been anything posted about her body being found, or her being dead, before it was reported, there would have been an uproar on here. We were all very concerned about Skylar.

The best thing to do would be to email the reporter, ask if it was the perp, and ask what time he posted that in the article. Reporters frequently take the same article and edit it and republish it. Several news outlets were doing that during the night.

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

But in the article the reporter said the neighbor was 'walking away from the crime scene.' So I think the interview was after they found her body. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Betts79
Back