Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

I don't share my location from my iPhone so I have a couple of questions. How accurate is that location sharing, is it the general vicinity of your location or is it precise? Ex: I'm at the mall, does it show my location in the store of the mall or just that I'm at the mall?

Pic of brother here, can’t make out what is on badge or shirt.

I think that is a University of Georgia badge and shirt UGA Name Tag (1 Line) with Magnet

I don't share my location from my iPhone so I have a couple of questions. How accurate is that location sharing, is it the general vicinity of your location or is it precise? Ex: I'm at the mall, does it show my location in the store of the mall or just that I'm at the mall?
It can vary from the general vicinity to within several feet depending on the signal (in my experience).

attention is one thing and being bashed in the head and killed is another. what is wrong with these murderers? Is killing just the most fun thing in their lives? Do they all think that they will never be caught? Are they proud and happy after this? I used to think is it just some atavistic throw back to reptile days and their hind brain just causes them to kill like a wild animal? ... lions in the Serengeti... gecko eats a fly...

I think “atavistic” is a very good word. Incapacitate - drag away - assault. Even if there is no physical assault, I think the behavior/intent is the same.

I think that is a University of Georgia badge and shirt UGA Name Tag (1 Line) with Magnet
I agree and it appears to be a UGA Dining Services shirt (words underneath the fork and spoon logo). I think the top says "Let the Big Dawg Eat" which seems to be the slogan for their dining services plan. IMO

Edited to add that it also seems to say "Auxiliary Services" under "Dining Services" and according to their website:

Auxiliary Services employs more than 500 professional personnel in a variety of positions across our units:
  • Auxiliary Administration (e.g., finance, human resources, information technology, marketing)
  • UGA Dining Services
  • The UGA Golf Course
  • Transportation and Parking Services (TPS)

Pic of brother here, can’t make out what is on badge or shirt.

From your link above re brother:

<snipped> Ibarra’s older brother, 29-year-old Diego Ibarra, is also in state custody on charges of holding a fake green card, the US Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia said.

He was previously arrested in Athens, Ga., area three times between September and December 2023.

Social media accounts that appear to be linked to Diego Ibarra show similar photos and videos — including Facebook footage of what appeared to be a stack of guns that was posted in November.

Another series of TikTok videos seemed to show him dressed in a University of Georgia T-shirt and washing dishes in a kitchen.

Obviously, he may have bought the t-shirt on campus or online, and he may have been employed at a local establishment. Also, what appears to be a stack of guns could just be brother seeking clout online. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

So, that is a UGA t-shirt that says "Let the big dawg eat" which is the tagline of the dining services on campus and what looks like a UGA issued name tag. I am beyond perplexed considering the fake green card situation. My husband works for UGA and is able to view the faculty / staff / student directory. I am not sure what all I can say about that here since it is not in main stream media, but this picture is definitely sharing some information. (happy to share more with a private message) All employees of UGA are state employees, and their salary information is available to the public via open.ga.gov. I looked him up, and there is one person who matches the last name for working in 2023 but I do not think it is him. 2022 has no records. 2024 records won't be available until next year.

I am interested in the financial picture. These brothers cross the border illegally in Texas. I assume they are not trust-fund ‘refugees.’ Somehow they are able to travel all the way to NYC. After one of them at least, is arrested for committing a crime…they have the funds to get ALL THE WAY to Georgia.

Then, VOILA! they have a deposit to rent an apartment. It is just a months rent or two and security deposit?

They must be paying the rent.

If they are driving without a license, they have a car.

If they are arrested for drunk driving, they can afford alcohol and both look well fed.

Mid morning, one brother has enough time on his hands to beat a girl to death.

So where are they employed or WHO exactly is paying for their lifestyles?
Additionally, per the Athens-Clarke County inmate records, the two brothers have different addresses. They are next to each other in the same apartment complex, but they are not the same house number. Which then begs the question - did they have two apartments? Housing in Athens is anything but cheap. Though it looks like this apartment complex doesn't have any availability, rent would be around $700/month based on what I can find.

Re his NYC arrest for injury to a child under the age of 17:

<snip> Police sources in New York confirmed to NewsNation that a suspect matching Ibarra’s name and age was arrested in the Big Apple for endangering a 5-year-old child last year.

I am interested in the financial picture. These brothers cross the border illegally in Texas. I assume they are not trust-fund ‘refugees.’ Somehow they are able to travel all the way to NYC. After one of them at least, is arrested for committing a crime…they have the funds to get ALL THE WAY to Georgia.

Then, VOILA! they have a deposit to rent an apartment. It is just a months rent or two and security deposit?

If they are arrested for drunk driving, they can afford alcohol and both look well fed.

It’s possible TX bussed them to NYC. Then who knows what NYC did with them, but I believe Athens is a sanctuary city, so it’s also entirely possible they were transported from NYC to Athens. It wouldn’t shock me in the least if taxpayers have footed the bill for most of what you listed off including getting them set up in an apartment. Who cares if they’re committing crimes all along the way.

It’s possible TX bussed them to NYC. Then who knows what NYC did with them, but I believe Athens is a sanctuary city, so it’s also entirely possible they were transported from NYC to Athens. It wouldn’t shock me in the least if taxpayers have footed the bill for most of what you listed off including getting them set up in an apartment. Who cares if they’re committing crimes all along the way.
As an Athens resident I can confirm that we have had many cities bus in people.

I sorta see this as being more simple than an immigration problem. So if he came here in Sept 2022 and never got in any trouble, never arrested, never committed a single crime, most of us would not bat an eye. The trouble is, he did committ a crime and he was arrested in NY and somehow that wasn't flagged and it didn't prevent him from commiting another crime 5 months later. THAT arrest in Sept 2023 should have began a process that would deport him. If you come here to commit crimes, then that should result in a one way ticket out of here. Was he held accountable for what he did in NY? What child did he harm and why was that okay? He also was driving w/out a license.. wonder why that was? Oh because he can't legally get a license if he isn't here legally in the first place. We have American citizens that get arrested and they fall right through the cracks too. I think this is the bigger issue. Violent criminals being let out and not held accountable when the first incident happens leads to more crime and in this case the death of a truly innocent victim. We need to get tougher on violent crime and when someone hear illegally gets arrested for a violent crime, there needs to be consequences. Same deal with his brother.. DUI and driving without a license.. yet he was freely roaming about and then he shoplifted and all this while having a fake green card. I don't understand how this can even happen.
Yes, and sadly so true. And to my thinking now, there are two primary initial questions:

1) What did the NY jurisdictional system do in the September 2023 incident?

2) What did the NY jurisdictional system NOT do in the above noted incident?

And that does not even yet include whatever did, or did not occur, in TX circa 2022. Nor what GA prosecutors may do in their state now. MOO

Up in the MD PA DE area is a quite similar case with a female jogger, in a park trail setting. There is sadly, also a WS thread for her (still unsolved AFAIK) murder: Rachel Morin. MOO

The brothers look very similar!

They both look old for their age, especially Diego. JMO, they look out of shape. I was surprised to find out Jose is so short.

"Ibarra was taken into custody by UGA police on Friday. He measures 5 foot 3 inches and weighs 170 lbs, per the Clarke County Sheriff’s Department booking sheet. Laken measured 5 feet 4 inches, weighing 115 lbs, according to a UGA Police Department report."

Your post had me nodding yes to all your thoughts. All those stupid arrests, not even a citizen, has 500 FB friends, and like you say-- "Mid morning, one brother has enough time on his hands to beat a girl to death." Where is their money coming from? How are they so well connected in the US that they can afford to travel, and be so nonchalant about their prior criminal charges? :mad:

I had not seen those sketches until now. Wouldn't it be something if this were him?

I posted those pics for comparison on Rachel Morin's thread. There's definitely similarities in looks, but... Since finding out that JAI is only 5'3" tall I'm having doubts.

"Ibarra was taken into custody by UGA police on Friday. He measures 5 foot 3 inches and weighs 170 lbs, per the Clarke County Sheriff’s Department booking sheet."
Whereas--

Rachel Morin's killer is thought to be taller-- "The suspect is believed to be 5 foot, 9 inches tall, weighs 160 pounds, and is in his early-to-mid 20s."

Wonder is there another individual involved? One might envision a lookout to help observe surroundings or keep alert on others? And don’t disagree with some possible height and weight differences in the Rachel Morin case. Yet that one image of the suspect in that case from the CA related incident is I believe from a Ring or door mounted camera. So maybe distortion and other lens aperture might affect the observations? (Yet I would like to think that investigators have taken that into consideration?). [I will also place this on the WS Rachel Morin thread.] MOO

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
Wow!! There definitely was a lot more on his FB page earlier! Wonder who is scrubbing it? I would think LE would have just taken it down. <modsnip: sharing screenshots or discussing deleted content from a social media account is not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back