Greece - Caroline Crouch, 20, tortured and murdered, Athens, 11 May 2021 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I dont like the sarcasm in this headline:( i think Greek Police did amazing job catching the murderer. They deserve being honoured!

I agree with you. Even though they suspected B on the first day, they have to be able to find enough evidence to charge him. That takes time and amazingly he confessed as he realised they had the evidence. I thought it was brilliant their going to Alonnisos after the memorial service and telling him they had found a suspect that they wanted him to identify and going by sea and land and not in a helicopter was great planning.

I agree with you. Even though they suspected B on the first day, they have to be able to find enough evidence to charge him. That takes time and amazingly he confessed as he realised they had the evidence. I thought it was brilliant their going to Alonnisos after the memorial service and telling him they had found a suspect that they wanted him to identify and going by sea and land and not in a helicopter was great planning.
Absolutely! Good job! And cunning haha - I appreciate cunning:)

As I predicted, C's parents were not very aware of C's early relationship with B:

"In her mid-teens Caroline also embarked on a religious studies course. Indeed, so busy were the Crouches ferrying her to the island’s capital town of Patitiri, ‘that boyfriends never even crossed our minds’. They were barely aware of Babis, who met their daughter in the spring of 2017 when she was taking part in a candlelight parade to mark Good Friday. ‘There was no noticeable change in her behaviour. She didn’t stay out late,’ recalls David. ‘Most of her spare time was spent cramming for the Greek National examination so it was a surprise when she said that she wanted to holiday in Portugal.’

It doubtless also came as a bolt from the blue to her parents that she and Babis got married on that holiday in July 2019, in a quiet beach ceremony with just two witnesses, on the Algarve. Arriving home with her new husband, David met Babis for the first time. ‘I was quite impressed, as Susan was: he seemed quiet, shy and self-effacing; not characteristics commonly found in Greek males.’ Susan, it emerged, had met Babis several times before but had not realised that he and Caroline were serious about each other. ‘And although he was 13 years older than Caroline it didn’t appear to be particularly noticeable,’ recalls her father.’ After the wedding, Susan visited them in their balconied home in the affluent Athens suburb of Glyka Nera: they seemed settled. Then, when Lydia was born in June 2020, both Babis and Caroline returned to her childhood home to show their new baby to her parents.

Caroline Crouch's parents David and Susan speak to Daily Mail about daughter's death | Daily Mail Online

As I predicted, C's parents were not very aware of C's early relationship with B:

"In her mid-teens Caroline also embarked on a religious studies course. Indeed, so busy were the Crouches ferrying her to the island’s capital town of Patitiri, ‘that boyfriends never even crossed our minds’. They were barely aware of Babis, who met their daughter in the spring of 2017 when she was taking part in a candlelight parade to mark Good Friday. ‘There was no noticeable change in her behaviour. She didn’t stay out late,’ recalls David. ‘Most of her spare time was spent cramming for the Greek National examination so it was a surprise when she said that she wanted to holiday in Portugal.’

It doubtless also came as a bolt from the blue to her parents that she and Babis got married on that holiday in July 2019, in a quiet beach ceremony with just two witnesses, on the Algarve. Arriving home with her new husband, David met Babis for the first time. ‘I was quite impressed, as Susan was: he seemed quiet, shy and self-effacing; not characteristics commonly found in Greek males.’ Susan, it emerged, had met Babis several times before but had not realised that he and Caroline were serious about each other. ‘And although he was 13 years older than Caroline it didn’t appear to be particularly noticeable,’ recalls her father.’ After the wedding, Susan visited them in their balconied home in the affluent Athens suburb of Glyka Nera: they seemed settled. Then, when Lydia was born in June 2020, both Babis and Caroline returned to her childhood home to show their new baby to her parents.

Caroline Crouch's parents David and Susan speak to Daily Mail about daughter's death | Daily Mail Online

I wonder who they thought CC was going on holiday to Portugal with?

Then there's the money B owes the parents:

If this were not enough, he also faces legal action to try to retrieve €60,000 appropriated by Babis that David and Susan had given Caroline to buy a plot of land. It was in December 2020 when Caroline asked her parents if they would contribute to buying the land as she and Babis wanted to build a new house. ‘Susan sold some land she had inherited from her parents in the Philippines and I liquidated some investments I held. At the end of January we each transferred €30,000 into Caroline’s Athens bank account. ‘The land was duly purchased and it was with great surprise after her death we found that the land had been registered in Babis’s name alone. ‘We are currently taking legal action to have this land registered in Lydia’s name.’

Then there was the €4,000 Susan paid for Caroline’s coffin and its transport to the island she loved. ‘Neither Babis nor his parents offered to contribute towards this expense,’ David recalls.

I wonder who they thought CC was going on holiday to Portugal with?

As C had just turned 18, it appears that they eloped. They didn't need parents' permission and did not even tell their parents that they were getting married? It was possibly planned by B and C when C became pregnant the first time and they did not wish to tell their parents she was pregnant but she miscarried anyway. After the marriage, C moved to Athens to live with B.

I would imagine that when C found out more about what it was like to live with B, she was too ashamed to tell anyone.

As C had just turned 18, it appears that they eloped. They didn't need parents' permission and did not even tell their parents that they were getting married? It was possibly planned by B and C when C became pregnant the first time and they did not wish to tell their parents she was pregnant but she miscarried anyway. After the marriage, C moved to Athens to live with B.

I would imagine that when C found out more about what it was like to live with B, she was too ashamed to tell anyone.
Sorry to say it but IMO it means no real communication between parents-daughter. Only superficial one.

Sorry to say it but IMO it means no real communication between parents-daughter. Only superficial one.

Yes I agree. Often older parents are permissive in their parenting style. They seem to have let C do whatever she wanted. As C's sister is much older, C was spoiled and treated as an only child. I say this because apparently C and her mother argued a lot. Also C would mess up the kitchen when she cooked and her mother did not insist that she clean it up afterwards.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't fit with B's narrative. As he tells it, she conceived 2 weeks after their wedding day, or 2 weeks and 3 days after her 18th bday. We all know that B's story, no matter how many times he changes it or shows discrepancies, is the only reality here.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't fit with B's narrative. As he tells it, she conceived 2 weeks after their wedding day, or 2 weeks and 3 days after her 18th bday. We all know that B's story, no matter how many times he changes it or shows discrepancies, is the only reality here.

Trying to cover that up!

Yes I agree. Often older parents are permissive in their parenting style. They seem to have let C do whatever she wanted. As C's sister is much older, C was spoiled and treated as an only child. I say this because apparently C and her mother argued a lot. Also C would mess up the kitchen when she cooked and her mother did not insist that she clean it up afterwards.

I read that as C would cook in the kitchen and leave a mess, then her father would witness an argument between C and her mum, because Susan demanded a clean kitchen.

Do you guys also think it's a generational gap? Like, they were both old enough to be her grandparents when they had her, Susan being 38 or 39, and David 58 or 59? I'm also thinking that because C was so independent and driven, with kick boxing, theatre, scuba diving, running... that it never crossed their minds that she'd have time for a boy (let alone an experienced adult male)?

Yes they did not think she would have time to have a boyfriend. But, as a parent, I always wanted to know where my children were. I was a teacher so I was lucky to have school holidays with them. Perhaps C would say she was going somewhere else but she was meeting up with B. Alonissos sounds like a small island so if his helicopter flew in, you could possibly hear it. Could it land on Alonissos? Or did C have to go on a ferry to meet him in which case she would have to have money to pay for the ferry? It sounds to me that C and B did everything behind her parents' back and never at night so they weren't suspicious. Surely some of the locals must have seen them? Or did he arrive in the helicopter and fly her somewhere else and have her home in time for dinner? But I also wonder how often they saw each other. Did they really know each other very well? Of course, they could have communicated daily via mobile and internet and her parents would not have been any wiser.

As far as generational gaps are concerned, my second child was born when I was almost 40yo and her father was 48yo. I don't think our ages were a problem as I was divorced when she was 6yo so I was a single parent who was very active, sporting, worldly and modern in my ideas. I was not over-protective, warned them about having to take the consequences of their actions and the types of people they could meet and so on.

Living on an island does not give a person the experience that living in a big city does. I think C was too trusting, young and inexperienced in life. But she may have also been keen, as many teenagers are, to live in the big city of Athens.

I also predict that B was C's first boyfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph