GUILTY - Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trial is not over yet. In many trials the accused testifies and changes their story (especially when forced to, in light of evidence that implicates them). Not to say that always result in a not guilty verdict....

But to me it just doesn’t make a lot of sense why someone would preplan a murder alibi by staying over at someone’s house and then leave as early at 9pm, not return until some point in the morning, plus risk being identified by either cab driver. If his truck was parked at MSs, I don’t understand why DM wouldn’t have used the same alibi to simply sneak out after the others had passed out. I think there’s more to the story that hadn’t been told and DM is adept at telling half truths.

I get your point, but remember, DM walked right down TB's driveway and spoke with SB. He also didn't hide his tattoo during his first test drive. He doesn't care! DM thinks he can get away with everything because he's so smart.

the best and easiest way to fire a revolver in those cramped conditions would be an upside down gun fired with the left hand. With the added advantage of not having to face your father while you are shooting him in the eye.
Yes and yes, IMO. Also maybe, the bullet in this way would have had the found (by pathologist) position within WM's head?

Its impossible to say exactly how it happened because of one factor; We don't know that the position he was found in was the exact position he was in when he was shot. It is possible that WM's head could have been in a different position, possibly looking straight up, and his head dropped after death. It is also possible that he did not die instantly and moved before coming to rest like that. And, we do not even know if the bullet took a straight path from the left eye to the right side of his brain or weather it hit bone and changed direction.

I think that it is likely that DM walked in to the dark room, held the gun gangsta style at a 90 degree angle to WM's face and fired.

Heading back to the courthouse this morning for the continuation of Dellen Millard’s trial for first-degree murder in the death of his father. Follow along for updates.
by Adam Carter 9:13 AM

Today we expect the judge to rule on the inclusion or exclusion of evidence from a key Crown witness — Det. Const. Grant Sutherland. He’s the crime scene reconstructionist who testified that he doesn’t think Wayne Millard shot himself.

by Adam Carter 9:15 AM

After the judge rules on whether or not she will consider his evidence in her decision, it’s believed the Crown will close its case. Then Millard’s lawyer will have to say if he’s calling witnesses or not.
by Adam Carter 9:16 AM

We're in court now, just waiting for things to get underway.
by Adam Carter 9:59 AM

Court is now in session. Justice Justice Maureen Forestell is now reading out her ruling on Det. Const. Sutherland's testimony.
by Adam Carter 10:02 AM

She's reading out the entire ruling -- so depending on how long it is, this could take a little bit of time.
by Adam Carter 10:03 AM

Only Sutherland's evidence regarding the basic usage of revolvers is being admitted, the judge rules. "The balance of his evidence is not admissible," she says.
by Adam Carter 10:04 AM

The judge says Sutherland's evidence showed "bias" and "lack of reliability."
by Adam Carter 10:05 AM

"I have concluded that Det. Const. Sutherland failed to disclose his awareness of evidence that could have undermined his conclusions," the judge says.

This is a major blow to the Crown's case. Sutherland was a very important witness for them.
by Adam Carter 10:06 AM

The judge is now pointing to the argument Pillay made about the blankets that had blood on them, seen in the scene photography. Pillay suggested those blankets could have been an "intermediary surface for gunshot residue. "[Sutherland] agreed that he had made no reference to the bloody corner of the blanket in his notes, in his proposal, or in his report ... he had no explanation for not mentioning it," the judge says. The judge says this raised significant problems for her with his evidence. That means his evidence about the general operation of revolvers, and the operation of this revolver in particular, is admissible. The test firing of the revolver evidence is not admissible. Neither is his evidence about the gun's position, or location. "His opinion to the likelihood of Wayne Millard firing the gun is not admissible," the judge says.
by Adam Carter 10:12 AM

The Crown says it is closing its case -- subject to if Millard's lawyer, Ravin Pillay, calls an expert witness of his own. If he does, they may seek to reopen their case. Pillay is now getting a 20 minute recess to confer with Millard before announcing if he will call his own witnesses.
by Adam Carter 10:15 AM

The judge says Sutherland's evidence showed "bias" and "lack of reliability."

"I have concluded that Det. Const. Sutherland failed to disclose his awareness of evidence that could have undermined his conclusions," the judge says.

This is a major blow to the Crown's case. Sutherland was a very important witness for them.
by Adam Carter 10:06 AM

Egad, this is bad for the Crown. Sutherland was their key witness who attempted to prove why a suicide didn’t occur.

Court is now back in session. Pillay says he is not calling any defence evidence.
by Adam Carter 10:34 AM

The closings will happen on Monday. Crown Jill Cameron will go first, and then Pillay will go next. His closing may run into Tuesday morning.
by Adam Carter 10:35 AM

That's it for court today -- lots to unpack here. I'll have an update online shortly summing up everything that happened today.
by Adam Carter 10:36 AM

Wow, another short day.

Did anyone else read that post about the possible unknown child of WM?

I did, but although some of the details were new to me, I remember discussing this way back when the Bosma case first hit the news. I didn't ever check the Ancestry site (not a member either) but while googling DM I came across one or more posts from him on a genetic database site where he was looking for genetic relatives - didn't specifically say brother. I wondered whether that meant he was a product of donor sperm but now see from family resemblance that would not be the case, or looking for partial siblings. Odd that he had such a post looking for relatives -- what did he know or suspect? I believe I posted the genetic site link at the time (2013) but would not know how to find it lo these many years later.

I did, but although some of the details were new to me, I remember discussing this way back when the Bosma case first hit the news. I didn't ever check the Ancestry site (not a member either) but while googling DM I came across one or more posts from him on a genetic database site where he was looking for genetic relatives - didn't specifically say brother. I wondered whether that meant he was a product of donor sperm but now see from family resemblance that would not be the case, or looking for partial siblings. Odd that he had such a post looking for relatives -- what did he know or suspect? I believe I posted the genetic site link at the time (2013) but would not know how to find it lo these many years later.

There was a man looking for a Wayne Millard of southwestern Ontario, who had been in a relationship with his mother, on Ancestry.ca that was discovered years ago, near the beginning of this. The gentleman he was looking for turned out to be a different Wayne Millard.

It did cause quite a stir at the time because we knew that DM had used a DNA database site searching for a match. Maybe he was trying to figure out if he was related to Chief Joseph Brant. No one else seems to be able to find any info that he was. :rolleyes:

MOO

I haven't followed this case as intently as I followed the Bosma and Babcock cases but this one seems to have reasonable doubt written all over it.

Too bad, I wish they had been able to present more credible evidence but as long as his appeals are all dismissed DM will never be released anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea