Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

NBC2 asked Lee County for a total number of people reported missing since Hurricane Ian made landfall. The sheriff’s office has not yet provided any numbers.

If you have a family member that’s missing, you can file an online Missing Persons report through the state website.

__

Sounds like state and county sources are chaotic in Florida. I am surprised there isn’t much information online specifically for people to check on those missing from Ian rather than a basic link to report a missing person.

The night before Sandy hit us, local police came to our house and had us sign a paper with our names and address and next of kin because we opted to stay during the storm as our area was under mandatory evacuation.

Last edited:

NBC2 asked Lee County for a total number of people reported missing since Hurricane Ian made landfall. The sheriff’s office has not yet provided any numbers.

If you have a family member that’s missing, you can file an online Missing Persons report through the state website.

__

Sounds like state and county sources are chaotic in Florida. I am surprised there isn’t much information online specifically for people to check on those missing from Ian rather than a basic link to report a missing person.

The night before Sandy hit us, local police came to our house and had us sign a paper with our names and address and next of kin because we opted to stay during the storm as our area was under mandatory evacuation.
Wow. That was incredibly proactive of your local police, and undoubtedly aided post-storm rescue and recovery.
Sadly nothing of that sort in Florida, and I don’t trust our elected officials to accurately report casualty and missing statistics.

As a small child, our family survived Hurricane Carla, 1961 in Houston. It has been described as both a strong cat 4 or cat 5 storm. At the time we lived in LaPorte (SE of Houston) right near the Bay behind Galveston. Back then the hurricanes' paths were not as predictable as they are now. They evacuated our neighborhood to the local High School. My dad and our neighbor across the street both figured out our homes were on higher ground than the High School, so we were the only 2 families than stayed. We trusted our neighbor as he was an engineer for NASA!

Mid way through the hurricane our house started to flood badly. When the eye came over our house, there was a brief break. My parent's took that opportunity to wade across the street in chest deep water that had a significant current. We rode out the second half of the hurricane at the neighbors (they were on higher ground). My mom told me that was the only time in her life she though she might die. Our house took significant damage from both winds and the storm surge that came up through the Bay.

In retrospect, we should have evacuated to at least Dallas. But back then, hurricane paths and strengths were only a guess.

I will never take a hurricane watch or warning for granted. Especially in the Sanibel area. Ian took almost the exact same (unexpected) path towards Sanibel and Captiva as Hurricane Charley did. Until the last minute Meteorologists were sure this storm was aimed at Tampa.

JMO

Which should scare the crap out of people in Tampa. How many near misses has that area had now? Eventually, a hurricane will land there and no one will believe it in time to evacuate.

Florida has an emergency contact information system. Here’s how to sign up.​

The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is reminding people about it as Hurricane Ian bears down.

Our community utilizes a “shelter in place” form via the emergency services website.

I can’t imagine staying on a barrier island with a cat 4 hurricane. A cat 1 was enough for me.
JMO
There is such an attitude of complacency with long term Floridians. Then you add in the enormous volume of newcomers and it's a recipe for disaster. Mother Nature sets us humans straight on occasion.

I am not in an evacuation zone or flood zone but I personally wavered whether to evacuate or not. I'm in north Sarasota by the airport and I had an upcoming chemo treatment in Tampa. I wasn't sure I could get back into FL if I left. So, I kept watching the eye of the storm, knowing the counterclockwise motion, if it went into Tampa, meant I was going to leave. Sarasota would have taken a direct hit with storm surge and it wouldn't have mattered where you were located. You'd be nailed hard.

Then when the eye got over North Port (45 min south) then I knew, oh crap, this is a Hurricane Charley (2004) repeat. At that point, I'm on the "north" side or "left" side and we'll be spared the most violent repercussions. I stayed and watched tree limbs drop from the sky, hit the roof of my metal shed and litter my yard.

Surprisingly, we were in a tropical storm, and because it was not a "hurricane", no one evacuated...the problem was that the storm just kept swirling in circles for days, with constant rain bands coming in from the ocean. Must have rained 22 inches in 3 days or so...I kept watching water creep up to the house, by that time we couldn't leave, it was too deep. Nothing like watching huge gators swim by your front porch. Our car was flooded. But we were okay, because the house was built over the garage. 2nd floor house.

No wind to blow the storm away. It was crazy.

If you need assistance apply for it. I applied on Oct 2nd and they direct deposited money to me Oct 5th!

To apply for FEMA disaster assistance, go online to disasterassistance.gov, use the FEMA app for smartphones or call 800-621-3362 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day. Help is available in most languages.

Surprisingly, we were in a tropical storm, and because it was not a "hurricane", no one evacuated...the problem was that the storm just kept swirling in circles for days, with constant rain bands coming in from the ocean. Must have rained 22 inches in 3 days or so...I kept watching water creep up to the house, by that time we couldn't leave, it was too deep. Nothing like watching huge gators swim by your front porch. Our car was flooded. But we were okay, because the house was built over the garage. 2nd floor house.

No wind to blow the storm away. It was crazy.
Was that Hurricane/TS Eta? November 2020.
I live near Sarasota and rode that out on a barrier island because it had been downgraded to a TS. Thank goodness the rain water and king tide waters subsided within hours! My garage flooded.

I think it's odd that here we are over a week later and they just now have this up and running. Seems to me that this could have been prepped and ready to go within 2-3 days in order to get people out of shelters quicker.

...... Transitional Sheltering Assistance Program has been activated by the State of Florida.

This allows residents impacted by Hurricane Ian, who have applied for disaster assistance, to be eligible to shelter in a hotel or motel paid for by FEMA.

I think it's odd that here we are over a week later and they just now have this up and running. Seems to me that this could have been prepped and ready to go within 2-3 days in order to get people out of shelters quicker.

...... Transitional Sheltering Assistance Program has been activated by the State of Florida.

This allows residents impacted by Hurricane Ian, who have applied for disaster assistance, to be eligible to shelter in a hotel or motel paid for by FEMA.
How long does it usually take?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back