Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

Was that Hurricane/TS Eta? November 2020.
I live near Sarasota and rode that out on a barrier island because it had been downgraded to a TS. Thank goodness the rain water and king tide waters subsided within hours! My garage flooded.
It was TS Faye, 2008. We had just moved in, and I knew to evacuate from a hurricane, but no one said anything about a Tropical Storm.

I don't know. 10 days post hurricane seems long to me. Particularly when I hear and read the stories of elderly people who are literally homeless.
I didn’t see any transitional housing options with Harvey and others but then there were very few hotels in the area and most of those were flooded too.
Never saw the Red Cross, but when you’re flooded for weeks, months, etc and can’t get to the town they are set up in - or get gas to drive 60 miles one way.
JMO

Boatload by boatload – and the odd helicopter bellyful – people are returning to Sanibel.

The city hasn’t officially estimated how many have made it back after the now-unbridged island’s reopening Wednesday. Unofficially, things have been pretty quiet, reports resident Bridgit Stone-Budd, who weathered the storm in her self-described treehouse with her mother, Linda Miller, husband, Dan, and dogs Sophie, Adrian and puppy Goose.

Residents and workers arrived booted, backpacked and braced for the worst. The 18-square mile barrier island they stepped back onto is staggeringly different than the one they left before Hurricane Ian upended life on Sept. 28...

(Much more at link.)

Boatload by boatload – and the odd helicopter bellyful – people are returning to Sanibel.

The city hasn’t officially estimated how many have made it back after the now-unbridged island’s reopening Wednesday. Unofficially, things have been pretty quiet, reports resident Bridgit Stone-Budd, who weathered the storm in her self-described treehouse with her mother, Linda Miller, husband, Dan, and dogs Sophie, Adrian and puppy Goose.

Residents and workers arrived booted, backpacked and braced for the worst. The 18-square mile barrier island they stepped back onto is staggeringly different than the one they left before Hurricane Ian upended life on Sept. 28...

(Much more at link.)

I thought they built a temporary bridge to that island?

The Sundial West is a large resort on the beach in Sanibel. Someone took extensive drone pictures of all of the buildings. The first floor units are completely washed through in all buildings. I can't help but wonder if the entire building is still structurally sound. Just to give some idea of damage on Sanibel.

Drone footage of Sundial West - Sanibel.

I thought they built a temporary bridge to that island?
They were able to build a temporary bridge to Pine Island, a much shorter bridge.

The Sanibel causeway is 3 miles long, destroyed in 5 stretches. The Army Corps of Engineers is working on temporary repairs. They claim they will have a temporary causeway to Sanibel built by the end of October. It will take much longer for permanent repairs.

Fort Lauderdale — Craig Steven Markgraff Jr., a construction worker and the “best big brother ever,” was last seen clinging to a tree as rising waters from Hurricane Ian lashed areas dozens of miles inland from Florida's Gulf Coast.

One of the storm's first publicly identified victims in Florida, the 35-year-old man's body was found this week by rescue crews near his home in Zolfo Springs in central Florida, the Hardee County Sheriff’s Office said.

Markgraff was known as “CJ” to many of his friends. But to his sister April Rudolph, he was just Craig, “the best big brother ever."...

:(

Fort Lauderdale — Craig Steven Markgraff Jr., a construction worker and the “best big brother ever,” was last seen clinging to a tree as rising waters from Hurricane Ian lashed areas dozens of miles inland from Florida's Gulf Coast.

One of the storm's first publicly identified victims in Florida, the 35-year-old man's body was found this week by rescue crews near his home in Zolfo Springs in central Florida, the Hardee County Sheriff’s Office said.

Markgraff was known as “CJ” to many of his friends. But to his sister April Rudolph, he was just Craig, “the best big brother ever."...

:(

That is so sad

This is the Disaster Relief version of the SNAP program (supplemental nutrition) and is now open to those affected by Hurricane Ian. It has dates based on county so look up your county and see what dates you can pre-register.

The Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) provides food assistance for individuals and families impacted by Hurricane Ian and who are not receiving food assistance benefits through the regular Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

Six-year-old Tahjir Burrowes wandered out of his Florida home on Oct. 5, wearing only a diaper and a T-shirt, and headed straight for a hurricane-flooded canal.

He had the severest form of autism and was drawn to water, his mother said. The storm had bulldozed the fence around their property, giving the boy, who was nonverbal, the brief opportunity he needed to escape undetected.

His 17-year-old brother, Tahjon, knew something was wrong as soon as he got out of the bathroom and could not find his little brother anywhere...

was 3 miles o
I find this simply amazing. Tells us how incredible the Army Corps of Engineering really are!

IMO, this was truly an engineering feat.:)

JMO

I didn’t see any transitional housing options with Harvey and others but then there were very few hotels in the area and most of those were flooded too.
Never saw the Red Cross, but when you’re flooded for weeks, months, etc and can’t get to the town they are set up in - or get gas to drive 60 miles one way.
JMO
we defintely had people die from exposure when we had a hurricane- they just could not cut enough downed trees to clear streets and restore power in so many places fast enough, but these were also people who stayed home and it was already close to freezing at night.

a list of people who died in Sandy:

a lot of them died falling when they had no lights, but also from hypothermia or carbon monoxide exposure from generators.

here are some pics from VT after Irene:

Tropical Storm Irene by the numbers | Vermont Business Magazine

when you have hurricanes in the north, people cannot live too long without heat :(

According to the Florida Department of Public Health, there have been a record 65 infections this year caused by Vibrio vulnificus — a species of bacteria found in warm, brackish water — including 29 in Lee County. There have been 11 confirmed deaths associated with the bacterium in the state this year, including four recorded in Lee County since Ian came ashore.

Homeowners insurance includes windstorm / hurricane coverage. Allegedly, if you don't have a mortgage, you are not required to have homeowners insurance. A lot of mobile home owners pay so little for the home but a huge fee for lot rent. So they cannot afford homeowners insurance nor flood insurance.

The hurricane deductible is 2% which is much higher than if you had a normal claim, say a fire. You can have a 4 point inspection and a wind mitigation inspection and those will help reduce your annual premium.

The wind mitigation is hurricane windows and doors and / or hurricane shutters, and usually hurricane straps added to your trusses. If you don't have them, you pay a premium.

The 4 point inspection is to ensure an older home has been maintained. They check your roof, A/C & Heat Unit, your plumbing and electrical.
We moved to south Venice fl last year. Our homeowner Policy through USAA, doesn’t include wind/hurricane coverage. USAA does help get wind/hurricane thru Citizens (the state of florida provided insurance). We had no flood damage (or flood insurance) but most of my neighbors across the street had flood damage. Today I called USAA to get a quote on flood insurance and they work through FEMA to provide the flood insurance, rather than provide it their self.

We moved to south Venice fl last year. Our homeowner Policy through USAA, doesn’t include wind/hurricane coverage. USAA does help get wind/hurricane thru Citizens (the state of florida provided insurance). We had no flood damage (or flood insurance) but most of my neighbors across the street had flood damage. Today I called USAA to get a quote on flood insurance and they work through FEMA to provide the flood insurance, rather than provide it their self.
I was required to have windstorm but not flood which is crazy, windstorm went up - think it’s around $2500/year, homeowners approx $1000, Flood was only $588/year.
Any improvements (doors, windows, garage doors, etc) have to be windstorm rated/approved and inspected after being installed.
JMO

First, the storm. Then, a plague of insects.

Hordes of mosquitoes have proliferated in floodwater and debris left in Hurricane Ian’s wake, and now swarm Florida communities.

State and local officials are waging a multimillion-dollar war against the bloodsucking insects — which are known to spread diseases like West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis — as they try to keep residents safe and prevent the voracious insects from slowing down the recovery crews working to fix power lines and rebuild infrastructure.

"The mosquitoes are out there, and they’re biting," said Eric Jackson, the deputy director of the Lee County Mosquito Control Division. "It is just a constant effort to knock down as many of those flying, adult mosquitoes as fast as we can."...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back