Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

We're going to be living in West Florida,, 1.25 miles from bay... our home is not in a flood area,, but it is a manufactured home.. we We're under mandatory evacuation for this storm. However,, our home and community were spared any damage. We're still in California packing to leave,, so our neighbors put away our patio furniture and trash bins for us.
We will have no qualms about evacuating if needed. Heck, we've evacuated from enough fires here in Southern California. I always keep a "Go Bag" in my vehicle now. At least in Florida I can put it in my garage as I'll have days of warning.
You’ll love the gulf coast.

I just keep thinking, where are all of these impacted people going to go? <modsnip>
It seems like the whole of the USA has a housing shortage.
Worried for these poor people who probably lost everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just keep thinking, where are all of these impacted people going to go? <modsnip>
I think it's going to be more of an issue of not having flood insurance. Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Most people learn the hard way and that is unfortunate. There are a lot of newbies who just moved here that I am certain have never been informed of that detail.

The lower income people that have lost their homes, or their mobile homes, are now literally homeless. In an environment with little to no housing availability, even if you could afford $1,500 to $2,000/month. Having a roommate is going to be the new norm just to survive.

I think it's going to be more of an issue of not having flood insurance. Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. Most people learn the hard way and that is unfortunate. There are a lot of newbies who just moved here that I am certain have never been informed of that detail.

The lower income people that have lost their homes, or their mobile homes, are now literally homeless. In an environment with little to no housing availability, even if you could afford $1,500 to $2,000/month. Having a roommate is going to be the new norm just to survive.
Do mortgage lenders in Florida require windstorm insurance for those within a certain distance? I didn’t have to get flood but windstorm was a requirement.
JMO

Do mortgage lenders in Florida require windstorm insurance for those within a certain distance? I didn’t have to get flood but windstorm was a requirement.
JMO
Homeowners insurance includes windstorm / hurricane coverage. Allegedly, if you don't have a mortgage, you are not required to have homeowners insurance. A lot of mobile home owners pay so little for the home but a huge fee for lot rent. So they cannot afford homeowners insurance nor flood insurance.

The hurricane deductible is 2% which is much higher than if you had a normal claim, say a fire. You can have a 4 point inspection and a wind mitigation inspection and those will help reduce your annual premium.

The wind mitigation is hurricane windows and doors and / or hurricane shutters, and usually hurricane straps added to your trusses. If you don't have them, you pay a premium.

The 4 point inspection is to ensure an older home has been maintained. They check your roof, A/C & Heat Unit, your plumbing and electrical.

One of these days one of them is going to end up in the hospital or get killed, IMO.
I really think it is becoming ridiculous the way they endanger themselves standing out in hurricane winds and floodwaters to report the weather.

I was watching Jim Cantore reporting live, thinking how dangerous it was, when the branch flew into him, and later when he was fell down.

I was watching Twitter at the same time, and couldn’t believe how many people were praising him. One of the most popular Tweets was, “Cantore just got hit by a TREE!! He’s the MAN” and it had a long string of comments agreeing, and dozens of “likes.”

So I am definitely in the minority.

I work in Florida fairly often, and on one of my trips I got into a discussion with a couple I met in a restaurant. They mentioned that they lived in a mobile home instead of a house, because they paid cash for it and they didn’t have to buy homeowners or flood insurance.

I remember the man saying, “If it blows away, it blows away. We’ll just buy another one.”

They told me how much insurance would cost on a home in the area they were in, and I don’t remember now how much they said it was but it was very expensive.

I work in Florida fairly often, and on one of my trips I got into a discussion with a couple I met in a restaurant. They mentioned that they lived in a mobile home instead of a house, because they paid cash for it and they didn’t have to buy homeowners or flood insurance.

I remember the man saying, “If it blows away, it blows away. We’ll just buy another one.”

They told me how much insurance would cost on a home in the area they were in, and I don’t remember now how much they said it was but it was very expensive.
My friend that lives in Brevard County owns her home, and doesn’t have homeowners insurance because she lives off of only $1k a month and can’t afford it.
How anyone is able to live off of $1k a month, especially being a homeowner, is beyond me. But she’s living proof that it can be done. But her health and her home both suffer because of it.

This is one of my greatest concerns. Many property insurance companys in Florida have gone bankrupt recently. I wonder how many of the remaining one's can remain solvent after the catastrophic loses Ian has created.

IMO, there will be an immediate housing crisis in Lee County from all residents, many areas are deemed uninhabitable in the near future. The difference will be the economic resources available to them.

Prayers up for all affected.

JMO

I really think it is becoming ridiculous the way they endanger themselves standing out in hurricane winds and floodwaters to report the weather.

I was watching Jim Cantore reporting live, thinking how dangerous it was, when the branch flew into him, and later when he was fell down.

I was watching Twitter at the same time, and couldn’t believe how many people were praising him. One of the most popular Tweets was, “Cantore just got hit by a TREE!! He’s the MAN” and it had a long string of comments agreeing, and dozens of “likes.”

So I am definitely in the minority.
I think they're adrenaline junkies (risk takers). Couple that with the crazier the video the more viewers . . .

JMO

If you know anyone who needs food, there are distribution points in Sarasota County today and tomorrow. Proof of residency is required.

Through Sarasota County Government, water and Meals-Ready-to-Eat (MREs) will be distributed today, Sunday, Oct. 2, at
  1. Englewood Center Plaza, 200 S. Indiana Ave., Englewood.
  2. San Pedro Catholic Church, 14380 Tamiami Trail, North Port.
  3. Hyundai of Venice, 200 Jacaranda Blvd., Venice.
  4. Twin Lakes Park, 6700 Clark Road, Sarasota.
  5. Venice Community Center, 326 S. Nokomis Ave, Venice.
  6. Hyundai of Venice, 200 Jacaranda Blvd., Venice.
  7. Twin Lakes Park, 6700 Clark Road, Sarasota.
  8. Venice Community Center, 326 S. Nokomis Ave, Venice.

Supplies will be available as they arrive and while they last or until 7 p.m.

You can also go to FoodFinder and put in the zip code and find food distribution groups near you.

The chairman of Florida Power & Light says households on the Suncoast should know when their power will be restored by the end of Saturday.

At a news conference at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota, FP&L Chairman and CEO Eric Silagy said two-thirds of customers statewide have had their power restored as of 7 a.m. Saturday.

I have a friend who has a home on Sanibel Island, they only stay there in the winter. She checked with a neighbor who lives nearby and found out her home was undamaged. I was really surprised to hear that.

The hurricane impact zones are prime snowbird territory. So even more impact to the economy there.

I'm up in nowheresville FL (Lake City) and the campgrounds here are going to be overflowing with snowbirds methinks.
I've read that the loss of winter rentals in Florida is doubling and tripling prices in Arizona right now.

Such heartbreaking devastation.

My oldest (with FWC) reported so far today, they've been to Estero, FL to help a coworkers aunt and cousin empty out 2 houses. Both places had flooding to within a foot below the ceiling. Everything is trashed, floors and cabinets covered with mud, drywall blew out, windows shattered.

They drove around the neighborhood and people are emptying their houses so they handed out supplies to them.

In Cape Coral, they have been back twice to help a friends family get stuff out to the curb and hand out supplies. That family is sleeping in a tent in the front yard. The guys Dad is a sherriffs officer working 12-16 hour shifts every day, while also trying to take care of his house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back