I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

I've noticed that, at least on the threads to which I've subscribed, there isn't much activity lately at all. Has activity slowed down on your threads as well Eagle & Florida?

When I first found WS, unless I got an e-mail, I didn't really think about checking the site. I wonder how many people might be affected by this but don't even realize it because they haven't visited since they haven't received e-mails.

I don't know if administration can see how much traffic the site gets but maybe that would be a way of checking to see if this problem might be more widespread.

Activity on the boards comes and goes depending on the active cases. Right now there really arent any high interest cases that are active. This happens when a high profile case comes to an end. Many folks join WS to follow a particular case...when the case ends..they either move on, or do other things until another case catches their interest. Also, the arrival of spring will bring a decline in posts, as people venture out after a winter of staying indoors. We see this each year.

Timex said:
Activity on the boards comes and goes depending on the active cases.
That makes sense. So I guess we can't use that as an indication of anything then.

Yes, Florida, I noticed a dramatic slowdown from when I'd have in the 60's and 70's two or three times a day during the Terri case, even more than we ever had for JonBenet, which seems to be pretty much stalled.

Nobody's had any time-outs, right? About having a 2nd email address, JersyGirl, my Yahoo account is deactivated because I haven't been there in 4 mo., guess I'll leave it that way, and they say mail is returned to sender. So can or did any of our people check if there's a lot of returned mail? So maybe it was blocked from sending so there would not be all the returns? Just guessing.

Sorry AOL is a bit of a problem, and we appreciate being allowed to stay on. I wanted to invite some of my grown kids but they're all AOL too. Whatever the head cheese (hubby of almost 50 yrs) decides. Chips off the old block, not complaining. It's kind of entertaining.

Yes, I have a modem. Doesn't everybody, lol? I am also on dial up. No notices of returned mail. I wouldn't know where to look for that if I didn't receive a notice!! The sender would get the notice of returned mail, right? Not us. It would be bounced back to WS I would think.

Since I mainly rec'd alerts after I posted that there was a new post, I don't have an activity record. I don't post that much. Not sure any of this makes sense.

I pm'd Tybee last night asking her to take a look at the thread and note the telephone number admin would have to call. We will await word from Tricia regarding Tybee's email to her.

Eagle, where did you hear that sad tape regarding Terri Schiavo?

Hi Florida

I think AOL is blocking generated email from WS. It wouldnt go into your Spam Folder as its just blocked and not delivered as Spam. Earthlink recently started blocking Yahoo mail. It doesnt go to my spam folder it just goes back to whoever sent it.

Tricia is really busy right now so I dont know when she will be able to get to this. I really think ya'll should registers complaints with AOL tho.

tybee204 said:
I really think ya'll should registers complaints with AOL tho.
LOL ... oh trust me, I let them know in no uncertain terms how dismayed I am by their perception that I need them to decide which mail I should be allowed to receive and which I shouldn't. Unfortunately, policy is policy, (you know how that goes), so they can't do anything for me. It has to be approached according to the guidelines so individual users can't do anything about it.

If I didn't like AOL so much, I'd dump it! I do have a Comcast account also but I still haven't figured out how to use it effectively. Give me time ... it's only been 7 months. LOL!

They actually said "Policy" ?

Florida, I think it's automatic that you're subscribed to every thread you've posted in. I never checked any "subscribe" box, and my list is about 23 pages long.

About the sad tape, you can hear it at several sites, I think, called a "Conversation, with Terri's Dad", and I've lost the URL for the one with a last picture of Terri, looking so wasted and shrunken, not beautiful.

I'll just have to wait for it to come up again and will try to remember to give you the link. Try http://www.apfn.org/apfn/Terri_doc.htm which has some links, and affidavits from some doctors that I for one haven't so far heard of, not sure the final picture is there, or how they got the pic, because I thought the family were forbidden to take a camera in, and that they were always searched. I'm having trouble finding the picture again.

Don't know if this will ever be helpful, from an error page. You can go to Internet Explorer, Tools, then Internet Options, Connections tab, and set LAN to Automatically detect settings, but only if you're not "Dial-Up". I think that means if you have a modem ? Applies to all 3 of us?

Please don't forget to answer that. Some sites also require 128-bit connection security, we can check, was okay until this very recent problem, since we've checked everything else, by clicking Tools again, Internet Options, Advanced, scroll to security section "and check settings for SSL, 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0".

Eagle1 said:
They actually said "Policy" ?

Internet Explorer, Tools, then Internet Options, Connections tab, you can set LAN to Automatically detect settings, but only if you're not "Dial-Up". I think that means if you have a modem. Applies to all 3 of us?
No, they didn't say policy but basically they've got their procedure in place, and that's the only way to handle this ... by going through their procedure.

Now about the Internet Options paragraph above ... what is that for? I'm not understanding. The only time I've gone into that area of my computer is when my connection is "unplugged" and when I switched from dial-up to cable modem. I'm not understanding what you're saying I should do or why. :waitasec:

Thanks for bearing with me, Eagle! :)

[QUOTE.....The only time I've gone into that area of my computer is when my connection is "unplugged" and when I switched from dial-up to cable modem. I'm not understanding what you're saying I should do or why. :waitasec:
Thanks for bearing with me, Eagle! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bearing with ME, JersyGirl!

You must know more about it than I do. If my connection was unplugged I wouldn't know to go there. I just never had read one of the error msg pages and thought I'd share, fwiw, probably not worth anything for the present situation.

The first two tech help people at AOL must have known something about the WS situation because they signalled "Session Ended" as soon as they'd taken my info. The third one was fine, and told me to get whoever sends out the emails to just talk to the AOL postmaster.

HE CAN UN-BLOCK, evidently. She sounded like it would be simple.

I'll want to post a big thank you to Tricia, Tybee, BeeBee, and whoever else may have helped us if it's true this time and not just a slipup of some kind of blocking. Probably will also send it in pm's.

I see a WS notification in my mailbox this morning, two, in fact, one from JonBenet and one from PP, didn't even take time to open anything, I was so in a hurry to get here and see if we're all three fixed up.

Can't wait to hear if you have one or more emails too!

Love this smiley. :eek:

Eagle1 said:
You must know more about it than I do. If my connection was unplugged I wouldn't know to go there. I just never had read one of the error msg pages and thought I'd share, fwiw, probably not worth anything for the present situation.
I only know to go there because there's a big flashing icon on my taskbar when my modem is unresponsive ... lol! If it weren't for that, I'd just sit here crying with my head in my hands. :crazy: If you've ever tried to sign online but it says that your network is unplugged or something like that, that is when you access that section. There might be other times but I don't know them.

Unfortunately, still no e-mails for me. :(

I'm posting in several forums tonight, to see if I'll get notifications tomorrow morning for some or all of them. My "Instant" notification box is still checked everywhere, but I'm thinking I may be getting "Daily". Settings can slip and slide, I guess, in software. Have you kept on posting a lot at WS? Is that the only thing I've done that was different?

Editing Saturday AM to say that through Keyword I found an Article titled "Working around the AOL Bug", criticizing AOL, so he's not one of them. Haven't read it yet. Looks rather complicated, 2 pages of very small print. http://www.darsys.com/panth/aol.html

I was looking for a list of blocked addresses, and in case you don't notice the edit to the message above, I'd better put this in a new post.

See "Working Around the AOL Bug" article, 2 pgs, small print, at http://www.darsys.com/panth/aol.html and if you understand it, simplify for us? Maybe number its points? No mail this morning, so far, but there's something in this 2nd paragraph I think about html not coming through, I'll have to study, whole article. See you later.

Eagle1 said:
My "Instant" notification box is still checked everywhere, but I'm thinking I may be getting "Daily". Settings can slip and slide, I guess, in software. Have you kept on posting a lot at WS? Is that the only thing I've done that was different?
I have been continuing to post every day, and nothing. And my instant notification boxes are not checked. It says instant next to every thread but no matter how many times I try to check the boxes, they always go back to being unchecked. I'll check that link out later that you provided, and let you know if I can decipher any of it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarrickuk
Back