IA IA - Clark Perry Baldwin - Iowa trucker charged with 3 murders, investigating 4th murder

Kathee

Reaction score
An unsolved murder in Springfield, MO, is getting a fresh look from the FBI's new Serial Killer Initiative. The cases studied by the FBI's group all have something in common: the victims were found on or near highways.

Tractor-trailers cross America every day. Thousands of drivers ride the concrete of Interstate 44. One of them may be the person who killed Gloria Barnes. Someone dumped her body 12 years ago behind the old Seven Gables truck stop on West Chestnut Expressway near Interstate 44.

Springfield Police Sgt. Allen Neal is working with the FBI's new Serial Killer Initiative to find the suspect. It's a group that may connect the dots to other murders across the nation.

“The mode and manner of death along with some of the physical evidence we located at the crime scene is consistent with some of the other cases we've looked at in this initiative,” said Neal.
The FBI is reviewing details of the case -- details that were never released to the public before now.

http://www.ky3.com/news/crimewatch/43201722.html

Hadn't heard of this guy before but he's in the news everywhere today. Caught after a relative uploaded DNA that matched crime scene evidence. Quick excerpt and a few of the links:

IOWA CITY, Iowa —

Investigators on Wednesday arrested a long-haul trucker from Iowa who they say is linked by DNA evidence to the killings of three women whose bodies were dumped separately in Wyoming and Tennessee in the early 1990s.

Police arrested Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, at his home in Waterloo, Iowa, on murder charges filed in Wyoming and Tennessee in the violent deaths of the women, including two who were pregnant. Investigators said they were looking into whether Baldwin had a role in other unsolved slayings from that era.

Baldwin was arrested after investigators used semen and other material recovered from the three victims to develop DNA profiles of their perpetrators, according to court documents unsealed in Wyoming. Last year, they learned that the same profile matched all three cases.

Investigators zeroed in on on Baldwin because one of his relatives had uploaded DNA to a commercial genealogy site that was similar to the suspect’s profile, court documents say.

Trucker from Iowa charged in 1990s slayings of 3 women

Suspected serial killer arrested, accused of killings in Tennessee and Wyoming. Here's what we know.

Tammy Zywicki: Accused Serial Killer Investigated In 1992 Killing

Trucker charged in serial killings faces scrutiny across US

VIDEO Clark Baldwin court appearance May 7, 2020

I am unable to link to this article as I am not at my own computer. Nevertheless the Daily Mail is reporting that an Iowa trucker has been arrested for the 1990's killings of three women after police match DNA from a crime scene to his using a commercial genealogy database and finding a close relative. The Daily Mail reports Clark Cherry Baldwin, 58, was arrested at his home in Waterloo, Iowa on murder charges filed in Wyoming and Tennessee. Investigators were "hopeful" to solve other cases with his arrest. One case is Tammy Jo Zywicki who disappeared and was found murdered in Missouri. The other being Rhonda Knutson who was found murdered in a convenience store near Baldwin's home when he live in Nashua, Iowa. Hopefully he will talk....but I doubt it. They never seem to.

Here's the link:

Iowa trucker, 58, arrested for 1990s killings of three women by cops using genealogy database | Daily Mail Online

28126262-8297773-image-a-19_1588871075640.jpg

Police arrested Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, at his home in Waterloo, Iowa, on murder charges filed in Wyoming and Tennessee in the deaths of the women, including two who were pregnant. Investigators said they were looking into whether Baldwin could be responsible for other unsolved slayings.

Court appearance 5.7.20, w/video and he talks after the 2 min mark:

VIDEO Clark Baldwin court appearance May 7, 2020

They were able to get DNA off of ice on one of the victims in Wyoming:

Former truck driver from Iowa charged with Wyoming cold case murders

A case was dismissed in Wheeler County, TX, in 1991 involving Baldwin. I-40 goes through there, it's in the TX Panhandle:

Iowa trucker charged in serial killings faces scrutiny across US

Casper, WY, news:

Prosecutors charge former truck driver with murder of women on Wyoming highways

rbbm.
May 8 2020
Woman who lived with suspected Iowa serial killer struggles to reconcile 'gentle giant' she knew with murders he's accused of committing
''The Iowa man charged with the murders of three young women in the early 1990s was a "gentle giant" who was generous with those close to him, a friend of the accused killer says.

Tanya Edwards Huddleston said she cannot reconcile her memories of the man who welcomed her young family into his home more than a decade ago with the portrait of a cold-blooded killer described in media reports about his arrest.

"It just doesn’t make sense to me at all," Edwards Huddleston said Thursday from her home in Matoaca, Virginia.

"If this is true, it scares me to death to think I had my baby living there," she said''

''Edwards Huddleston met Baldwin in 2008 when she began working at the Orange Cab Co. in Newport News, Virginia, where Baldwin drove a taxi.''

''When Edwards Huddleston found herself on hard times, she said Baldwin invited her, her boyfriend and her 1-year-old son to live in his apartment while they got back on their feet. Baldwin would drive his taxi all day and then return to the apartment at night with pizza to relax and watch TV with the family for the two or three months they lived together''.

Edwards Huddleston said she thinks Baldwin stayed in Newport News for three or four years. He eventually moved back to Nashua after losing his driver's license, she said.

"When he moved back to Iowa, he still called me and talked to me," she said. "He was living with his mama and his brother."

Baldwin later moved to Waterloo, about 40 miles south of Nashua. He was living at the historic Hotel Russell-Lamson when he was arrested. ''

Accused Serial Killer Clark Perry Baldwin Investigated In Slaying Of Tammy Jo Zywicki, Other Unsolved Murders
rbbm.
''Detectives with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation are “looking at any connections” that Baldwin may have to other cold cases, special agent Mike Krapfl said. He said other agencies were also scrutinizing Baldwin, who traveled the country.

“Obviously there are several cases that need to be followed up on,” said Krapfl, who confirmed that agents interviewed Baldwin after his arrest.

AP_20128417744505.jpg

This booking photo released on Wednesday, May 6, 2020, by the Iowa Department of Public Safety shows Clark Perry Baldwin, of Waterloo, Iowa. Investigators say that DNA evidence links Baldwin, a former long-haul trucker, to the deaths of three women whose bodies were found in Tennessee and Wyoming in the early 1990s. (Iowa Department of Public Safety via AP)

Jody Ewing, who operates the Iowa Cold Cases website, said she gave investigators a list of more than two dozen slayings since 1980 that could fit Baldwin’s pattern. They include women who were beaten, strangled and stabbed and left in ditches.''

Ws thread..
IA - IA - Iowa Cold Cases

Who knows what we will find with this terrible man.
Yes, there are the obvious victims, yet there are so many others that may be victims. There is no way that this guy killed women for 2 years and then did nothing. He continued to kill. Who are his other victims??

I might have missed it, but do we know when he was married? Serial killers sometimes go dormant for some period while married.

Can we narrow it down to murders when he was not married, or was he never married?

Is it true that serial murderers start abducting closer to home as time goes on because they've gotten away with it for too long?

Was he living in Waterloo Iowa? If so, I read on the Lyric and Elizabeth cousins murders, Evansdale Iowa on July 13, 2012, that maybe there's a connection? Did he own a van that he used at home?

Jane Doe cases with a similar MO in the early 1990s:

February 1991, sexually assaulted/beaten/strangled, near U.S. Highway 1 in the Florida Keys
49UFFL
FL - FL - Big Coppitt Key, 'Valentine Jane Doe' 49UFFL, 16-25, Feb'91

November 1993, found nude/beaten/shot, Interstate 80 in Nevada near the Utah border
125UFNV
NV - NV - Elko Co., WhtFem 125UFNV, 25-27, blonde, may be from WY, Nov'93

- Both Jane Does are in the same age range as Baldwin's known victims.
- They had possibly given childbirth, like his known victims.
- According to isotope testing, the Jane Doe found in Nevada had spent the last seven months of her life near the town of Afton, Wyoming. Wyoming is where two of his victims (Bitter Creek Betty and Sheridan County Jane Doe) were found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back