IA IA - Clark Perry Baldwin - Iowa trucker charged with 3 murders, investigating 4th murder

I might have missed it, but do we know when he was married? Serial killers sometimes go dormant for some period while married.

Can we narrow it down to murders when he was not married, or was he never married?

Is it true that serial murderers start abducting closer to home as time goes on because they've gotten away with it for too long?

Was he living in Waterloo Iowa? If so, I read on the Lyric and Elizabeth cousins murders, Evansdale Iowa on July 13, 2012, that maybe there's a connection? Did he own a van that he used at home?

A SM post indicates he was married until 1990, confirmed by a family member. I have no information indicating he was married since then.

By '91 he's living in Springfield, MO. Picks up a hitchhiker from KS in '91, ends up accused of abducting and assaulting her in Wheeler County, TX, I'm assuming I-40 as it runs through there, he was most likely heading west on that highway. Charges were dropped or the case was thrown out.

1998 picked up for counterfeiting cash out of his apartment in Springfield, with two female accomplices.

At some point in the late 2000's he pops up in Virginia Beach, VA.

After several years there, he's back in Waterloo, IA.

A SM post indicates he was married until 1990, confirmed by a family member. I have no information indicating he was married since then.

By '91 he's living in Springfield, MO. Picks up a hitchhiker from KS in '91, ends up accused of abducting and assaulting her in Wheeler County, TX, I'm assuming I-40 as it runs through there, he was most likely heading west on that highway. Charges were dropped or the case was thrown out.

1998 picked up for counterfeiting cash out of his apartment in Springfield, with two female accomplices.

At some point in the late 2000's he pops up in Virginia Beach, VA.

After several years there, he's back in Waterloo, IA.

Thank you! Was he in Waterloo Iowa in July 2012? Sounds possible. Would he know about the 1970s party spot where the girls were cleverly abducted, and the former Summer Camp where the bodies were found?

The girls were waiting inside the gate, bikes parked on the path, for someone, yet there is no digital lead. Lyric, 10 years old, was the likely target, Elizabeth Collins, 8 yrs old, seemed like Lyric's tagalong.

Falling Down said:
snipped by me....

I believe I read that the victim didn't show up.... and charges were dropped.

Thank you! Was he in Waterloo Iowa in July 2012? Sounds possible. Would he know about the 1970s party spot where the girls were cleverly abducted, and the former Summer Camp where the bodies were found?

The girls were waiting inside the gate, bikes parked on the path, for someone, yet there is no digital lead. Lyric, 10 years old, was the likely target, Elizabeth Collins, 8 yrs old, seemed like Lyric's tagalong.

It would probably depend on if Baldwin had a specific age range (in other words, if he preferred female who had been through puberty or not). Then again, he would have been sixty-one in 2012 and may not have been physically competent - or thought he was not physically competent - to take on a grown woman anymore. And we all know that there's a reason why old and sick animals in the wild take weaker prey...

I might have missed it, but do we know when he was married? Serial killers sometimes go dormant for some period while married.

Can we narrow it down to murders when he was not married, or was he never married?

Is it true that serial murderers start abducting closer to home as time goes on because they've gotten away with it for too long?

Was he living in Waterloo Iowa? If so, I read on the Lyric and Elizabeth cousins murders, Evansdale Iowa on July 13, 2012, that maybe there's a connection? Did he own a van that he used at home?
Rbbm.
It seems that serial killers tend to make their first kill in familiar area such as near their home or work, as they gain confidence they go further afield to find more victims. imo.

Serial Killer Myth: They Travel and Kill Widely
''A myth frequently disseminated by the news and entertainment media is that serial killers and other homicidal predators travel widely and kill over vast geographic areas. This is simply not an accurate depiction of serial murder in the real world.''

''Unlike Bundy, most serial killers have very well defined geographic areas of operation. They typically have a comfort zone—that is, an area that they are intimately familiar with and where they like to stalk and kill their prey''

''The comfort zone of a serial killer is often defined by an anchor point such as a place of residence or employment. Crime statistics reveal that serial killers are most likely to commit their first murder very close to their place of residence due to the comfort and familiarity it offers them.''

''The majority of serial killers will stick to a well-known hunting ground that is close to their place of residence throughout their killing careers.''

Rbbm.
It seems that serial killers tend to make their first kill in familiar area such as near their home or work, as they gain confidence they go further afield to find more victims. imo.

Serial Killer Myth: They Travel and Kill Widely
''A myth frequently disseminated by the news and entertainment media is that serial killers and other homicidal predators travel widely and kill over vast geographic areas. This is simply not an accurate depiction of serial murder in the real world.''

''Unlike Bundy, most serial killers have very well defined geographic areas of operation. They typically have a comfort zone—that is, an area that they are intimately familiar with and where they like to stalk and kill their prey''

''The comfort zone of a serial killer is often defined by an anchor point such as a place of residence or employment. Crime statistics reveal that serial killers are most likely to commit their first murder very close to their place of residence due to the comfort and familiarity it offers them.''

''The majority of serial killers will stick to a well-known hunting ground that is close to their place of residence throughout their killing careers.''

Israel Keyes murdered far from his home in Alaska, but eventually he murdered there too - which was his ultimate undoing.

I am unable to link to this article as I am not at my own computer. Nevertheless the Daily Mail is reporting that an Iowa trucker has been arrested for the 1990's killings of three women after police match DNA from a crime scene to his using a commercial genealogy database and finding a close relative. The Daily Mail reports Clark Cherry Baldwin, 58, was arrested at his home in Waterloo, Iowa on murder charges filed in Wyoming and Tennessee. Investigators were "hopeful" to solve other cases with his arrest. One case is Tammy Jo Zywicki who disappeared and was found murdered in Missouri. The other being Rhonda Knutson who was found murdered in a convenience store near Baldwin's home when he live in Nashua, Iowa. Hopefully he will talk....but I doubt it. They never seem to.
It's interesting that you mentioned Tammy Zywicki. The other suspect, mentioned on this site, was Lonnie Bierbrodt. It's believed by a few people that Tammy's watch ended up in the hands of Lonnie Bierbrodt's wife. Since Baldwin and Bierbrodt were both truck drivers, is it possible that they knew each other? Could they have committed crimes together? Being truck drivers and being mentioned in the same murder case kind of makes me wonder.

It would probably depend on if Baldwin had a specific age range (in other words, if he preferred female who had been through puberty or not). Then again, he would have been sixty-one in 2012 and may not have been physically competent - or thought he was not physically competent - to take on a grown woman anymore. And we all know that there's a reason why old and sick animals in the wild take weaker prey...

He was 51 in 2012.

Falling Down said:
He was 51 in 2012.

He was born in 1962, no month or date. He is 58 when arrested on 5/6/20. So - I figure he had his birthday from Jan 1st to May 5th, 2020. If someone finds a birth date - please post! TIA!

Actually, I have seen his age as 59 in some articles....

He was born in 1962, no month or date. He is 58 when arrested on 5/6/20. So - I figure he had his birthday from Jan 1st to May 5th, 2020. If someone finds a birth date - please post! TIA!

Actually, I have seen his age as 59 in some articles....
rbbm
Waterloo man accused of killings in other states
''On May 6, 2020, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) assisted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Wyoming Department of Criminal Investigation and the Tennessee 22nd Judicial District Attorney’s Office with the arrest of Clark Perry Baldwin (DOB 8-22-61) of 209 W. 5th Street #612 Waterloo, Iowa.''

Woman who lived with suspected Iowa serial killer struggles to reconcile 'gentle giant' she knew with murders he's accused of committing This article says he was married from Dec. 1997-Aug. 1988. Imo-could have been also married after that until 1990.

Also posted on Ws thread..
IA - Clark Perry Baldwin -- Iowa trucker charged with 3 murders

May 11 2020
Springfield restaurant owner wonders if decades-old cold case could soon be solved
''SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A 23-year-old cold case in Springfield is getting new attention, after an arrest last week in Iowa.

gloria+jean+barnes.jpg

Police think Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, killed three women in Tennessee and Wyoming nearly 30 years ago.

Now, some are convinced he's tied to a Springfield murder as well.

The old crime scene is at west Chestnut Expressway, near I-44. That's where Gloria Jean Barnes' body was found in 1997, but her killer never was.''

''New DNA evidence, investigators say, links Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, of Waterloo, Iowa, to at least three murders. Ali thinks it's at least four, including Gloria Jean Barnes.''

Ws thread..
MO - MO - Gloria Barnes, Could New Serial Killer Initiative Help Crack This Case?

May 11 2020
Springfield restaurant owner wonders if decades-old cold case could soon be solved
''SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A 23-year-old cold case in Springfield is getting new attention, after an arrest last week in Iowa.

gloria+jean+barnes.jpg

Police think Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, killed three women in Tennessee and Wyoming nearly 30 years ago.

Now, some are convinced he's tied to a Springfield murder as well.

The old crime scene is at west Chestnut Expressway, near I-44. That's where Gloria Jean Barnes' body was found in 1997, but her killer never was.''

''New DNA evidence, investigators say, links Clark Perry Baldwin, 58, of Waterloo, Iowa, to at least three murders. Ali thinks it's at least four, including Gloria Jean Barnes.''

rbbm
Waterloo man accused of killings in other states
''On May 6, 2020, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) assisted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Wyoming Department of Criminal Investigation and the Tennessee 22nd Judicial District Attorney’s Office with the arrest of Clark Perry Baldwin (DOB 8-22-61) of 209 W. 5th Street #612 Waterloo, Iowa.''

His parents' home sold in February, it's on LuLu Street. It appears they are both alive and living in the area, I could be wrong though.

The W. 5th St. address for Baldwin appears to be above a business, FWIW.

Other possible, from my own collection of unsolved cases I've compiled in recent years:

Body dump from 2013, I-70 WB, similar MO as the cases attributed to Baldwin. Clark County, IL, town is Casey. Basically a truck stop along I-70, there is a Mach 1 truck stop store right off of the interstate, and some eateries nearby.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

WS link:

IL - IL - Casey, WhtFem UP11748, 20-40, off I-70, black lace dress, Oct'13

Media w/facial reconstruction:

Police seek help identifying woman whose body was found in Casey

needournames blog post about the UID:

LostNMissing Unidentified Deceased : Illinois - UID Female located October 18, 2013

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back