Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on the homework she was doing that night? Could it have been some type of clinical study where she was interacting with real people or doing research that required her to interact with some folks that were having some type of issues? I'm thinking that the person that has her is related to school, her major and she was trying to help them - this is why the dad keeps mentioning the relationship and school like he's trying to bring this person back to reality.
It was a history class on the Roman Empire. Probably a gen ed class.

Just another theory, but maybe she forgot to check the mail that day and only left the house at night to go down the driveway. If she had food out/cooking, she may have put the dogs in the basement for that reason. just a thought. I don't see why she would want to go on a second run in one evening.
She wouldn’t be the first person to disappear at the end of her driveway. Another theory - maybe not a second run per se but a walk/jog towards Mom’s to pick up the car. Later hour gives stranger abducter more cover. Or we might have the acquaintance who pulls up beside her and asks if he can give her a lift. She’s tired, knows the person, and hops in.

Or it happened late enough, or in such an isolated area, that no one had the opportunity to see anything.
Agreed.
If she got a ride with someone she knew, and without a struggle or screaming or trying to run away, and if someone noticed such, seems like they would have reported it to LE already.
If someone knocked on her door with a "your mother's been in an accident, come with me" type thing at night, no one would have noticed. Or if the person just went in and got her, same thing. Darkness hides so many things.

Why wait until Friday?

The information must not be that important. Jmo.
Perhaps LE has moved into a new "phase" of the investigation where they're biding their time to gather more clues on her abductor/whereabouts / or / are refocusing their efforts on recovery, and don't have much to say to the public in terms of soliciting public help being of any benefit. They've already made several statements that are probably unchanged at this point, and if they have anything "new", they'll be right back, but PCs every few days as they first alluded to are no longer beneficial in their opinion.

Agreed.
If she got a ride with someone she knew, and without a struggle or screaming or trying to run away, and if someone noticed such, seems like they would have reported it to LE already.
If someone knocked on her door with a "your mother's been in an accident, come with me" type thing at night, no one would have noticed. Or if the person just went in and got her, same thing. Darkness hides so many things.
if this happened then why is her items from jogging missing? I cant see oh there is an emergency, wait let me get my headphones happening.

@JoJoJo said:
Any atty's out there on this one? Double check me but I think you could give a power of atty form to a trusted family member or atty to cover this issue and scenario specifically. My suggestion is to ask an atty that you trust.
POA's vary by state - the specific social media provision would need to be included. But I've never seen this tested. I am not an attorney but I have my DPOA for my state. I did not include this particular option to my attorney-in-fact.
Take note a POA operates during a person's lifetime, and the authority terminates at their death. Many states currently working on legislation specifically to comply with TOS of your social media account. Limiting example to FB but learn more at link.

8. You will not share your password (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.

9. You will not transfer your account (including any Page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.

Note that the language used is soft—the user is “making a commitment”—and no consequences are listed for actions inconsistent with these “commitments”—in fact, what could the consequences be? And what is the status of a POA holder in the context of accessing an account? If the POA holder stands in the shoes of the grantor of the POA, isn’t it, as a legal matter, as though the member herself is accessing or deleting the account? What about #9, transferring the account? This may be a little more straightforward—the grantor of a POA can give the POA holder the ability to manage an account in any way, and the ability to do this is secured through permission from the social media site.
Maintain Control of Your Social Media Accounts with Powers of Attorney

Forgive me if I'm extremely skeptical about this. When I think "more information", I think something of substance like where her digital footprint has led them or if the have a POI, etc. If they think she's still alive, tell us why not just "we have to believe she is".

I have a sinking feeling that Winker and co's version of "releasing more information" is to rehash what we already know then update the number of tips and leads they've followed and tracked down.
Something like. “We can confirm that Mollie jogs. She also is on Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat. We have to believe she is alive. Please hold your questions for the next PC. And I have no idea who you are talking about when you ask about a pig farmer.”

She wouldn’t be the first person to disappear at the end of her driveway. Another theory - maybe not a second run per se but a walk/jog towards Mom’s to pick up the car. Later hour gives stranger abducter more cover. Or we might have the acquaintance who pulls up beside her and asks if he can give her a lift. She’s tired, knows the person, and hops in.
That’s my thinking exactly. Either of those scenarios are extremely plausible.

I think this is a search for a body. Waiting three days to provide an update will make no difference.

Unless they don't expect her to turn up in the next three days :( - really hope that isn't the case

I really hope not. I just followed the the Samantha Eastwood case in the UK and that case thankfully led to a charge after 8 days. Even in that short time many were getting worried how long it was going on. So in the American cases I've followed closely most are still open cases which is really depressing to me never mind the families and victims...:(

I know there’s a lot of people who think she never returned home from her jog or something happened later that evening after she returned home.
Does anyone think she went missing while walking to her mom’s the next morning to get the car? I’m wondering if anything inside the house shows that she got up and got ready for the day.. ie: towel from taking a shower, pjs in the hamper.. was her running attire there? I know the Fitbit and her phone/arm band are missing but was the sports bra/tennis shoes?
I’m sure this has been discussed but it’s hard when we have so little info.. I think we are all just circling hoping to figure something out while we wait...

Apple can’t/won’t unlock phones because their security features have been built to thwart hackers. A private citizen could never request Apple to unlock a phone as only LE and official government entities could legally make this request, and have any hope of Apple being willing/able to comply.
A search warrant would probably be required so as to keep Apple off the hook for what might otherwise be considered invasion of privacy.

Something like. “We can confirm that Mollie jogs. She also is on Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat. We have to believe she is alive. Please hold your questions for the next PC. And I have no idea who you are talking about when you ask about a pig farmer.”
Don't forget the red shirt - maybe this time they'll have knowledge of it.

Apple can’t/won’t unlock phones because their security features have been built to thwart hackers. A private citizen could never request Apple to unlock a phone as only LE and official government entities could legally make this request, and have any hope of Apple being willing/able to comply.

There is a hacking device law enforcement can buy to hack locked iPhones of criminals. I believe it takes around 24 hours.

Mollie Tibbetts speaks about prayer in 2016 video

Mollie's speech at the high school faith event -3 minutes
This video brings me back again to the thought that she might have succumbed to an asthma attack while out running. She might have believed that God would pull her through again and may have knelt down to pray somewhere along the path she took. I wonder if she always ran along the road, along a field, under a bridge along the creek, etc. where she might now be hidden from view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000