Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking from the beginning that the perp planned on taking care of Mollie (meaning she is not alive--not long after she went missing) pretty quick. I am thinking that THE REASON LE knows this is all based off the Fitbit AND phone. Probably they were able to tell when the Fitbit stopped tracking her movement (like if someone knocked her out) but could still have been tracking her phone (and it's approximate location). Then maybe someone destroyed her phone (which means then there would be no activity on the Fitbit either). Once the phone was destroyed then they probably got that approximate location and that is where they are trying to search. Since the Fitbit never recorded anymore activity MAYBE they are guessing that something happened to her then (that was when she was knocked unconscious or whatever). But then of course if the phone was already turned off I am guessing LE would not be able to get information from the Fitbit. I am thinking they were getting ALL their information from the Fitbit and every time it synced with the phone. MABYE the perp knew nothing about a Fitbit (which is a possibility) so the Fitbit was still connected to the phone when he kidnapped Mollie. So during that time the Fitbit was tracking movement and the phone was also offering location based on pings at the same time. The Fitbit I would think would let LE know if Mollie was upset or whatever (due to her heart rate). That could also be how they know WHEN she was kidnapped and all based on that information (from the Fitbit). Then like I said the phone being on provided additional information with the pings.

But if this perp was smart I would THINK he would turn the phone off or destroy it as soon as he kidnapped Mollie because he SHOULD have known that they could find him based off of pings. UNLESS he was pretty confident and didn't care because even based on pings he KNEW they couldn't locate him because he was pretty much in the middle of nowhere (acres and acres of farmland and cornfields).

Also the rain (I heard it rained that night) could have washed away a lot of evidence if there was any due to a struggle. It could have been a stranger or someone that knew Mollie. They drove up next to her. I am thinking if Mollie knew them she would be more likely to go up to a vehicle if they approached her. Then she MAY HAVE gotten in the car with them if she knew them. Maybe it was someone she knew and they told her that her boyfriend was hurt (maybe a co-worker or someone who knew him from the construction site or something). There could be MANY scenarios. It could still be a stranger. But if it WAS not a stranger and they lied to her and coaxed her into their vehicle to tell her there was an emergency she may have got in. They were probably watching her the day before and that's why she was not kidnapped the first day. Maybe they DID know she was alone due to following her on social media (a stranger) or knowing her (not very well, but she trusted them) or knowing her friends or family (like her boyfriend--possible co-worker that her boyfriend told nonchalantly that she was staying home to babysit the dogs so they knew that she would be there alone). If it WAS a construction worker they could already be gone now on another job in another town (who knows).

But anyway maybe they DID leave some evidence at WC's farm (along with pings from the phone and some information from the Fitbit) but it was ONLY evidence from Mollie. Or maybe it was evidence like DNA from the perp too. However if this perp has done this before (which I think he has and he is smart and planned ahead) then he probably has never been caught and his DNA is not on file, so they will not find him whether they have his DNA or not.

Just all MY assumptions and scenarios I have come up with. I really think Mollie is within 20 miles or so of her boyfriend's house.

Last edited:
I’m concerned about the waterway.

I have ALWAYS been concerned about surface water in this case. There are so many of them AND many of the locals are raised to camp and I bet many of those sites include the surface water too. One of the Bear Creeks is so very close to where Mollie stayed and the storm the next day...

I detest when cases go this long and families have to consider hiring their own investigators. I truly believe we should be better than this. No family should be put in this position.

There was a case in Fayetteville NC where LE simply couldn't find a missing young woman. It took a local who just couldn't let it go to do his own investigation and then use all skills to convince the killer to show him where the body was.

Bragg soldier Kelli Bordeaux's remains found; suspect arrested :: WRAL.com
I agree and I have watched way too many cold case shows on ID and Oxygen with amazing retired Detectives and PI’s that have found so much more. This isn’t a bash at LE at all. I think the pressure must be huge they are under. Sometimes taking a look from the outside is beneficial.

I think many of us should not post publicly our theories....The perp is VERY likely to be reading here

That’s OK. These WS threads are so long and active. If the “perp” is trying to keep up with them, then it means he won’t have any extra time to be committing any more crimes. We’ll keep him busy!

I’ve given my two cents a couple of times one here about her leaving with someone she knows. But this morning I am set that she was trafficked. It hurts my heart but I think right now with literally no updates or anything being let it about what investigators are leaning towards and the recent update that they are looking into truck stops and car washes on the outskirts, that’s the only thing logical right now to me.

One other thing that stuck out during the PC was the word SILO. Didn't say which ones but good grief there are huge silos along Mollie's possible run route right? I saw them on the video SharonNeedles did (thank you again SO MUCH!) How does one search such a structure?

And do folks have to call in for a burn permit? Or can they burn anytime they want?

Could they have an auto dispense set up for the dogs?
I thought of that. But, it seems with a pet sitter there they wouldn't resort to that.
To me, it's the kind of device you use when you are going to be leaving the dogs alone for a longer period of time.
Some have noted that they use such a means every day and their dog still only eats at a set meal time. It depends on the dogs. But, I gathered that these dogs lived upstairs with the owners and slept in the beds with them. So, with that in mind, why have a ready feeder in the basement?

As a matter of crossing all T’s and dotting all I’s...was the car that Mollie shares with her brothers searched?
i had wondered this too - and entirely unrelated to the brothers.....

i had wondered if mollie actually made it to her mom's to get the car (and maybe it was late/everyone was asleep) so she took the car and left, then picks up our POI to hang out.

something happens with our POI that turns violent and mollie ends up dead (or optimistically ends up in the hands of our POI being held). our POI decides his/her best course of action is to drop mollie's car back in the driveway (rather than ditching the car somewhere, trying to hide it etc).

regarding her wallet & id - maybe she didnt take it or took a smaller wallet and genuinely thought her ID was in there. lots of people have an iphone case that fits 1-2 cards and girls have smaller wristlets/clutches etc for quick errands or to fit their necessary cards/IDs into "going out" clutches. sometimes you forget to move your ID back to your everyday bag/backpack or which cards you have where.

i realize it doesnt make sense, probably mostly to male readers, but it happens. prob about once a month if i dont feel like taking my large bag/large wallet to quickly run an errand and then im like "oh shoot i wanted to put this charge on this credit card but i just have this debit card" or i forgot i moved my ID to the smaller wallet and i have an oh crap moment while trying to buy wine.

so imo, i definitely agree finding her main wallet (if im right she may have more than one) is suspicious and argues that she didnt voluntarily disappear, but i dont think we can rule out the possible scenario she opted for a smaller wallet/phone wallet or genuinely forgot it for a quick outing on wednesday night.

ive never seen mention about where the keys are thought to be which imo is interesting. for my above scenario to make sense, im assuming there were two sets and she had one. or she quietly slipped inside her mom's house to grab the shared set of keys. from what we know, it seems likely her mom's houes was unlocked.

Mollie Tibbetts Glasses: Did She Leave Them Behind? | Heavy.com

Last edited:
Ever town has a place that is neglected; no one ever goes there; i.e. old mine shaft etc. does Brooklyn have such a place?

rebel123, several posts in the beginning of these threads mentioned a storm cellar. Apparently a lot of towns out there (like Iowa) have them on their property. Just a thought.

Mollie would be a sophomore at U of Iowa. She would have been heading back to school and from previous posts, seems she was getting an apartment.

Was she going to finish out the summer living in the same place? How about DJ’s plans?

I wanted to make an observation and get some feedback.
DJ noted when he returned to the home at whatever time that was on the timeline, that the dogs had plenty of food and water.
Up thread, people had noted that labs and most dogs will eat constantly if food is available.
So, for an evening, a night, a morning, and up until he arrived, there was still plenty of food left? How darn much did she leave, and why? Is this an indication that she was leaving for a prolonged period of time, thereby indicating prior intent?

Or have I missed this being discussed in previous threads?
Possibility exists, in my mind, that after her run she would have gone straight to her mom's house. Why go back to boyfriend's if only to go back out to get car...if in fact she normally picked up her car the evening before work. If she also planned to spend the night there, since she had a room and clothes at her mom's as well, she could have left enough for the evening and following morning.

Was she going to finish out the summer living in the same place? How about DJ’s plans?
What I've learned from reading here and on MSM is that she lived with her boyfriend AND at her mom's for the summer. I think her boyfriend lived there full time with his bother and fiancée. Not sure and have not read what his plans were after she returned to school, or after the wedding for that matter. I agree though, what newlywed couple wants someone living with them full time?

I was thinking from the beginning that the perp planned on taking care of Mollie (meaning she is not alive--not long after she went missing) pretty quick. I am thinking that THE REASON LE knows this is all based off the Fitbit AND phone. Probably they were able to tell when the Fitbit stopped tracking her movement (like if someone knocked her out) but could still have been tracking her phone (and it's approximate location). Then maybe someone destroyed her phone (which means then there would be no activity on the Fitbit either). Once the phone was destroyed then they probably got that approximate location and that is where they are trying to search. Since the Fitbit never recorded anymore activity MAYBE they are guessing that something happened to her then (that was when she was knocked unconscious or whatever). But then of course if the phone was already turned off I am guessing LE would not be able to get information from the Fitbit. I am thinking they were getting ALL their information from the Fitbit and every time it synced with the phone. MABYE the perp knew nothing about a Fitbit (which is a possibility) so the Fitbit was still connected to the phone when he kidnapped Mollie. So during that time the Fitbit was tracking movement and the phone was also offering location based on pings at the same time. The Fitbit I would think would let LE know if Mollie was upset or whatever (due to her heart rate). That could also be how they know WHEN she was kidnapped and all based on that information (from the Fitbit). Then like I said the phone being on provided additional information with the pings.

But if this perp was smart I would THINK he would turn the phone off or destroy it as soon as he kidnapped Mollie because he SHOULD have known that they could find him based off of pings. UNLESS he was pretty confident and didn't care because even based on pings he KNEW they couldn't locate him because he was pretty much in the middle of nowhere (acres and acres of farmland and cornfields).

Also the rain (I heard it rained that night) could have washed away a lot of evidence if there was any due to a struggle. It could have been a stranger or someone that knew Mollie. They drove up next to her. I am thinking if Mollie knew them she would be more likely to go up to a vehicle if they approached her. Then she MAY HAVE gotten in the car with them if she knew them. Maybe it was someone she knew and they told her that her boyfriend was hurt (maybe a co-worker or someone who knew him from the construction site or something). There could be MANY scenarios. It could still be a stranger. But if it WAS not a stranger and they lied to her and coaxed her into their vehicle to tell her there was an emergency she may have got in. They were probably watching her the day before and that's why she was not kidnapped the first day. Maybe they DID know she was alone due to following her on social media (a stranger) or knowing her (not very well, but she trusted them) or knowing her friends or family (like her boyfriend--possible co-worker that her boyfriend told nonchalantly that she was staying home to babysit the dogs so they knew that she would be there alone). If it WAS a construction worker they could already be gone now on another job in another town (who knows).

But anyway maybe they DID leave some evidence at WC's farm (along with pings from the phone and some information from the Fitbit) but it was ONLY evidence from Mollie. Or maybe it was evidence like DNA from the perp too. However if this perp has done this before (which I think he has and he is smart and planned ahead) then he probably has never been caught and his DNA is not on file, so they will not find him whether they have his DNA or not.

Just all MY assumptions and scenarios I have come up with. I really think Mollie is within 20 miles or so of her boyfriend's house.

The phone carrier (LE by proxy) has the ability to determine if the phone was intentionally powered down, the battery gradually went dead, or was suddenly disabled. My guess is that LE knows what cell tower pinged before this event. That is most likely all they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member