Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angela G Hatlai1, or use a syringe on her. Inject her with something. Not sure how easy it would be to get a syringe. I know drug users can get them easily. I know when I was pregnant I used syringes for Heparin. If someone had access to something like that (the syringes) somehow and then the medicine (not sure how they would come across that) to subdue someone (like in the movie Dexter) that would be pretty easy.
I have heard of horse or other large animal tranquilizers being used on people. I know that it's a farming area. I would imagine there are at least a few vet clinics in the area.

What would have brought WC to that area or near her jogging route? There was quite a spotlight on him.

I would think anyone could have ties to the area, historical or more recent. No idea who took her. I just don't think it has to be someone she knew or who is a local with a known tie for her disappearance to make sense.
I honestly don’t consider WC to be a valid suspect, especially in any scenario where Mollie was abducted in Brooklyn. I don’t think it’s been established that WC has ever been in Brooklyn, I don’t think snatching a 20 year old athlete is something he could even do, and I certainly wouldn’t think that’s someone Mollie knows at all and might leave willingly with.

That's really interesting. I grew up in rural Ohio and was in and out of nearby cornfields looking for arrowheads and I never saw a farmer "checking their fields". They very well could have. I just never saw it. I was very careful and never trampled the corn when it was young or knocked down stalks when the corn was higher. Never had a farmer shown up at our door telling me to stay out. I never asked and I assumed they never knew..lol. But now I have to wonder if they did.
True, I'm not sure farmers can tell just from checking the fields that any damage was done, or any kind of disturbance. When I was young, my friends and I would run through the rows, playing hide and seek and knocking down stalks, and the farmer never noticed a thing!

IMO, someone who would do something like what we think he might have done, does not function in the same capacity as someone who would not. Even if they appear harmless. And honestly, I think the deed was done in a relatively short amount of time. The perp could have been home and in bed before midnight.

I agree, it was quick.

"The only starting point is that she vanished while jogging." I would think so too, had LE said this. While some consider the home abduction scenario unlikely, others just can't rule it out yet. MOO

I have heard of horse or other large animal tranquilizers being used on people. I know that it's a farming area. I would imagine there are at least a few vet clinics in the area.
I’ve been around farm animals for most of my life and have never had access to tranquilizers. Antibiotics and stuff like that sure, but only the vet would have access to tranquilizers. And delivering them would be a challenge, I doubt that would be easy.

I’m guessing whover had mollie and or the Fitbit when it pinged at circle #5 had knowledge of that area and went there for a specific reason ! MOO what that reason is, I have no idea
True, most people do go someplace for a reason, and I think in this case it was to get rid of or disable the phone.

When do you believe is the next milestone for this case? Next press conference, Mollie's birthday, corn harvest, families next action, reward update, or something else?

I honestly don’t consider WC to be a valid suspect, especially in any scenario where Mollie was abducted in Brooklyn. I don’t think it’s been established that WC has ever been in Brooklyn, I don’t think snatching a 20 year old athlete is something he could even do, and I certainly wouldn’t think that’s someone Mollie knows at all and might leave willingly with.

Personally, I do not believe WC is responsible for any part of Mollie's disappearance, but I would not say that snatching her is something he could not do. If he had a weapon to threaten her with , or if he did happen to bump her with his vehicle, he could very easily get control of her. JMO

If she did get in a car willingly, for whatever reason, the time it takes to slow down, exchange a few words, open the car door and then take off could be the same amount of time it takes for an abductor to overpower her, put her in the car and close the door. If no one witnessed her getting in a car voluntarily, no one may have seen an abduction either. But it would have to be in a secluded spot, like near that dirt road to Grinnell near her house, I would think.
This is a great point. Where were all those townspeople who supposedly see everything? Where were all those people who supposedly would know Mollie on sight? How come just a couple of people have reported even seeing Mollie during her run that night? I get the sense that the people of Brooklyn, like the people of my small town, don’t really pay close attention to what’s happening around them. And an abduction can take seconds, if the perp knows what he’s doing and uses the element of surprise to his advantage.

I guess what is striking me the most in the thoughts tonight is a slight varying pattern from what are known facts. This is one of the (I think you call them “stickies”) posted at the top of each new thread.

Updated 8/17/2018
WHAT WE KNOW
  1. Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  2. Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  3. She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  4. The dogs were in the basement
  5. DJ said the door was probably unlocked
  6. She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  7. She went for a run about 7:30
  8. She usually runs for 45 minutes
  9. LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  10. A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  11. Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s & D&M
  12. Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  13. She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  14. Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  15. Mollie was a creature of habit
  16. DJ sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  17. JT sent her at text approx. 7:30 am asking if she needed the car – no response
  18. There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  19. Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  20. Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  21. No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates that Mollie was last seen running on Pershing Drive.
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/mollie-cecelia-tibbetts/@@download.pdf

Can someone refresh my memory of the DR sighting of her at 8? I think I prob posted it myself in a previous thread but can’t find it, and the time about whether the guy saw her at 8 or 9 was confusing the timeline? The reason I ask is the FBI online information site shows the Pershing Drive sighting as the “official” last sighting, as seen above. Wanting to take a second look, is all. Thanks for your help!

Edited to add: went out and looked for it and found the information below.

Video: Video: Witness saw missing Iowa jogger night she vanished

Article from abcnews today, DR sighting is at 8:3o here: The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts

Wednesday, July 18: Last sighting

5:30 p.m.: Tibbetts' older brother, Jake, dropped Mollie off at her boyfriend's house, where she was still staying alone with the dogs. Investigators said Jake Tibbetts is not a suspect.

7:30 p.m According to a "reasonable timeline" constructed by authorities, Tibbetts went for a jog around this time and was seen running on the city streets of Brooklyn.

On her run she was believed to be wearing "dark colored running shorts, a pink sports top and running shoes, color unknown," according to Iowa DCI. They are taking a look at any surveillance footage they can find, especially around the three different routes she would normally take. Jack said she would have taken her fitness tracker and phone with her on her run.

8:30 p.m. Brooklyn man Devin Riley said he saw a woman jog past his home around this time that he later believed to be Tibbetts. When he realized what he had seen, he contacted authorities.

Last edited:
"The only starting point is that she vanished while jogging." I would think so too, had LE said this. While some consider the home abduction scenario unlikely, others just can't rule it out yet. MOO

I tend to fall into this category as well. Just bc LE has said the last known location was while MT was running does not mean that they think she was abducted while she was on her run. IT may very well be as simple as that was the last time someone visually laid eyes on her. They dont' necessarily know when the perp and her crossed paths. Stating as fact that she was abducted while running is absolutely not deffinitive!

I'm thinking he knew all, or at least some of that.

That scenario maybe places the perp closer to MT and/or friends and family, although the acquaintance might end only with MT. It is conceivable that MT's broad swatch of friends could not possibly be aware of *all* of each other. If it is someone close to or at least knows MT in some capacity beyond clandestine stalking, would it be unusual for no one else to be aware of that person's existence?

A stranger abduction need not know nor care about: ("It could be the perp did not know MT was dog-sitting, was to be alone overnight but vehicles were not parked in the driveway / on the street, IF he even cared about who was home or not or even where she lived.")

I never thought he was connected with this. Your point is actually my point in response to the previous question of why would some stranger be in Brooklyn. It seems WC wasn't and had no reason to be, yet he was a focus. Not even the FitBit makes that reasonable to me.

I keep coming back to it appears she never made it home yet no one saw anything on her jog. I don't know that this equals therefore it wasn't a stranger. There are simply things we can't see into because of such limited information and that leaves some room I think for more than her getting into a car for a friendly ride. But there may be characters in this story we just can't see.

I don't know why it couldn't have been a stranger because no one saw anything. No one saw her willingly hop into a car with anyone either.
That's exactly the point I made earlier, as well. If no one saw a car stop and, if she got in willingly I'm assuming there was some conversation, that could have occurred in the same amount of time it takes for an abduction.

When I think about abductions in broad daylight I remember Jessica Ridgeway. A short walk in the morning and no one saw anything. moo

Jessica Ridgeway: What happened to the Colorado girl? – The Denver Post

There are so many example of girls and young women who were abducted during the day when someone should have seen something, but they didn't. Jessica was abducted on a busy street at the same time that other parents were bringing their children to school and they saw nothing.

When do you believe is the next milestone for this case? Next press conference, Mollie's birthday, corn harvest, families next action, reward update, or something else?

Barring some substantial development, I would expect news coverage to taper off, with articles appearing each month on the anniversary of her disappearance, for a few months, then the one year anniversary and the start of each school year. Sadly, that is how it usually goes. I live in the immediate area that UNC student Faith Hedgepeth's unsolved murder took place in Sept 2012, and now, we get the start of every fall semester at Carolina Faith stories, and the once every year or so Dateline news story, and that is about it.

Last edited:
I’m guessing whover had mollie and or the Fitbit when it pinged at circle #5 had knowledge of that area and went there for a specific reason ! MOO what that reason is, I have no idea
I'm disturbed by area 5. There are multiple abandoned buildings and IMO, one of them was his target location. That is also the area I would be most concerned about one or more crimes having possibly taken place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix