Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same, I haven't read that her mom was concerned. Way back in the other threads, there was a lot of discussion on how, depending on family dynamics and lifestyles and whatnot, this could be normal or not.

I can see how it wouldn't be something that would necessarily cause concern in a really small town that was previously presumed to be very safe, and with an independent 20 year old who worked all day, had to be up early the next day, and was staying elsewhere. Mom may have just figured she fell asleep or got distracted.

Or, maybe there's more info that isn't being shared, although it seems like this stuff came out really early before they got extra tight-lipped about all the details.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

Would it be safe to assume that between the time of the last text ("OK") and dinner time (8 pm) that something untoward happened concerning Mollie? If she had no ride (except her brother, presumably), is it not reasonable to assume that she had planned to walk the one mile distance to her Mother's home? If that is the case, then Mollie disappeared after the OK text and before dinner time possibly on her walk to her Mom's?

I can imagine her showering, putting on her red shirt, grabbing her cell phone (although why she left her contacts/glasses behind is baffling), and heading out to her Mother's on foot. .....on the other hand, perhaps after she had her shower, put on her red shirt, grabbed her phone and was reaching for her glasses/contacts, someone had entered the house and forced her by gunpoint outside and into a vehicle....someone who had seen her jogging and followed her home and waited for the right opportunity....

I've been following this case closely. I have a grand daughter Mollie's age and in college. She loves to jog (and it makes me cringe these days). Praying they find this precious young lady, alive and well and soon.

This is what gets me. Her mom was 100% expecting her there for dinner and yet no care or concern when she didn't show up? If that were a conversation between myself and my 20 year old, the next thing that would have happened when she didn't show up to dinner would have been a text asking "you still coming?" If no response, I would have been immediately concerned since she had clearly said she'd be home for dinner.

Maybe I've missed it in the 800 articles but has the mom ever said she was concerned when MT didn't show for dinner? Was that a normal thing for her to do that?

I don't understand this either. It seems highly unlikely, to me, that a mom would be expecting her child home for dinner and then not be concerned enough to call/go the one mile to where she was staying to follow up. Heck, I'm 48 and my mother would do that if I didn't show up/respond when I was expected for dinner.

I also wonder if mom DID follow up and the police just aren't releasing that info for investigative reasons. But what do I know.

I haven't been active on WS for a long time, but this is making my heart hurt. I have a feeling this will turn out to be one of those cases where she got in the car/met up with someone she knew of (not a friend, but someone she recognized) and things went terribly wrong.

This is what gets me. Her mom was 100% expecting her there for dinner and yet no care or concern when she didn't show up? If that were a conversation between myself and my 20 year old, the next thing that would have happened when she didn't show up to dinner would have been a text asking "you still coming?" If no response, I would have been immediately concerned since she had clearly said she'd be home for dinner.

Maybe I've missed it in the 800 articles but has the mom ever said she was concerned when MT didn't show for dinner? Was that a normal thing for her to do that?

I do not remember any concerning words or statements of her trying to contact Mollie for the no show. This scenario has probably played out in her mother's mind a thousand times by now

Also. White Rabbit mentioned in one of the prior threads how unusual it is for a 20 yr old having text/sc/phone/FB posts etc... communication with two people only, within that time frame. No friend or anyone we know of has come forward saying there was contact with Mollie, or they tried to reach her and she did not reply.

Last edited:
You can't choose who a witness might be. Could be someone comfortable speaking or not. I think scrutinizing a witness statement publicly could be a reason for someone NOT to want to speak up. I'd hate to become a suspect just because I thought I saw someone.

In my opinion, nothing about the dinner plans, no-show for dinner, or lack of planned transportation to dinner is weird. This sounds normal for a lot of families. Mollie probably planned to walk over. With close family/friends, not everything needs to be spelled out in texts, since you just sort of understand each other. The dinner thing may just have been a loose plan that would raise concerns if she didn't show. I feel for her mom. Hindsight is 20-20. Growing up in this county myself, I would never EVER expect something like this to happen. It's totally normal and reasonable that her mom wouldn't be concerned about the no show.

Also. White Rabbit mentioned in one of the prior threads how unusual it is for a 20 yr old having text/sc/phone/FB posts etc... communication with two people only, within that time frame. No friend or anyone we know of has come forward saying there was contact with Mollie, or they tried to reach her and she did not reply.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the person. My 20 year old texts in bursts. And then nothing. A fun exchange with one friend & then one or the other gets busy & the thread ends. Until the next thread begins, minutes or hours later. Twenty year olds are often working seasonal, part-time or temporary jobs to make ends meet in college. Which often means irregular shifts/ times/ days. They connect when they can.

You can't choose who a witness might be. Could be someone comfortable speaking or not. I think scrutinizing a witness statement publicly could be a reason for someone NOT to want to speak up. I'd hate to become a suspect just because I thought I saw someone.
A agree. Then you also have people that just want to insert themselves so knowing they are being honest is important.
If I were a witness I would go to the police but I doubt I would be willing to be publicly interviewed and on TV.

It would seem the fact that they are not searching the corn fields is telling in and of itself. They must have some information that tells them it's not a worthwhile time investment.

I imagine otherwise they'd spend a considerable amount of time looking for a missing person in these fields, in this area of the country?

I mean to say, while yes obviously happened during that time, I think the family's reactions seem quite normal. And that I feel bad for them because they are probably tearing themselves up mentally now, but there's no way they could have known. :(

Is the Grinnell Regional Medical Center Day Camp that Mollie worked at within walking distance from the house where she was staying to care for the dogs? It would be good to know how she normally got to work, noting that the brother’s text Thurs morning was to ask if she needed a ride home, not TO work. (Still wondering if she could have gone missing early morning Thurs since that red shirt is unaccounted for.)

It would seem the fact that they are not searching the corn fields is telling in and of itself. They must have some information that tells them it's not a worthwhile time investment.

I imagine otherwise they'd spend a considerable amount of time looking for a missing person in these fields, in this area of the country?

I agree. And yes, I realize how much corn there is. But even just searching the perimeter (maybe 30 feet deep) of fields nearby? But this is only feasible if volunteer help is allowed... and perhaps that isn't allowable?

Is the Grinnell Regional Medical Center Day Camp that Mollie worked at within walking distance from the house where she was staying to care for the dogs? It would be good to know how she normally got to work, noting that the brother’s text Thurs morning was to ask if she needed a ride home, not TO work. (Still wondering if she could have gone missing early morning Thurs since that red shirts unaccounted for.)

No. Not at all. It's on the south side of Grinnell, which is 10-15 minute drive.

Surprising how little information is being made known, especially with how small the town is.

By now, LE must have her cell phone records and info from her fitbit. One would think that they should be able to narrow down whether she returned to the house from her early evening jog. If the neighbor was correct about seeing her in her jogging clothes and tennis shoes, he also remembered she was talking on her cell phone.

If her mom was expecting Mollie to come over for dinner wouldn't there have been some discussion as to how she would get there, since Mollie didn't have a car?
Good point. Even if it was her norm to walk over, it may have been confirmed by a quick "Are you going to do your usual stroll over here?"

I'm sure there is a whole lot that has been discussed and hasn't been released. When I saw her mom on ABC, she seemed a little apprehensive to answer some questions, probably told not to discuss from LE.

As much as we would like to know, I'm glad not all has been released...just wish some of these confusing articles would be copy edited/vetted more before putting in print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu