Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the multiple sharp force injuries, I was wondering if this is considered "overkill" which has it's own meaning as to motive. Anyone here good at crime scene analysis? I did find this which seems close.
  • "Disorganized offenders: These criminals usually live alone or with a relative, possess lower-than-average intelligence, are unemployed or work at menial jobs, and often have mental illnesses. They act impulsively, or as if they have little control over their fantasy-driven needs. They rarely use ruses to gain the victim’s confidence, but rather attack with sudden violence, overwhelming the victim. The crime scene often is messy and chaotic. This type of offender doesn’t plan ahead or bring tools along, but rather uses whatever is handy. As killers, they typically leave the body at the scene and exert little effort to avoid leaving behind evidence. Some have sexual contact with the victim after killing him or her."
"Overkill usually is personal, with anger as the common underlying drive."

Forensics: Profiling the Perpetrator - dummies

Seems reasonable to look at the flip side of this perspective using the same reference:

"Organized offenders:

These criminals are more sophisticated in their approach, and their crimes show evidence of planning. These types tend to be of average or better intelligence, employed, and in active social relationships such as with spouses and families. Even though they’re driven by their fantasies, they maintain enough control to avoid being impulsive. They prepare and even rehearse. They tend to target specific victims or types of victims and use control measures such as restraints to maintain victim compliance. They bring the tools they need to gain access to and control of the victim and avoid leaving behind evidence. As killers, they generally hide or dispose of the body and are likely to have a dumpsite already selected." (Forensics: Profiling the Perpetrator - dummies)
Why would the suspect be an organized offender:

• There's evidence of planning as he circled around along Mollie's route
  • quitting school does not mean that he is not intelligent, and he cleverly obtained false ID
  • employed
  • active social life (reports that he often spent time with his daughter and extended family)
  • no reason to believe that Mollie's abduction was impulsive, especially if he saw her jogging the day before the abduction
  • he targeted Mollie and probably hit her in the head to gain compliance
  • he brought along a knife - tool to control victim
  • most importantly he hid the body and may have pre-selected the dump site

Last edited:
In the Washington Post article posted above, CR's father said he left Mexico at 16 because there are no jobs. He decided on Iowa because his aunt and uncle live there. That would be 8 years if it's true.

Oops I messed up again. Sorry about that last reply. I had said that I don't believe anyone here is blaming Mollie for her own death. I have not even seen that implication , rather that Rivera is blaming the victim for angering him.

I agree. He put the blame back on her. Very much like a psychopath. If he was with male LE, I also wondered if he used “she made me mad” line to see if they’d sympathize. Seeing if he can play the boy’s card: You know how women can make us all mad.

Also could that have been his aunt and uncle at the hearing? They didn’t interact very much with his ex for it to be her parents. MOO

Well I am sure they are going to use her now for the investigation but after all is said and done if she is an illegal she will have to
go back to her hometown in Mexico. Is she illegal too? So maybe that is why she looks so stricken.

The reason she was there with the kid is because it garners sympathy.....ohhhh he is a loving father blah blah.

I have to admit I have sympathy with this girl which I may not have had if I didn't view one of the video's on her FB page. She came off perhaps a bit rough around the edges but there was a spirit about her that I think many females including myself can relate to. If you asked me what I thought of her I would say what I see is a very young woman caught between two cultures that can at times differ drastically. Still, she is plugging on and has a desire to be an independent single mom which would be the more the Americanized part of her. Actually much about her is American including how she speaks and her body language and gesturing throughout the video. Clearly she has been influenced by the hip hop culture. Her showing up to court and the reason given for it I see as more the Latino culture. I do think there is a part of her that culturally she feels a need to stand by her man which is much more common in the Latino culture then American. You can see this for yourself right in this thread where all of us said we would not bring our kids to the courtroom for any reason ever. This is what I mean about feeling she is caught between two cultures.

Is she here legally or illegally I have no idea. She was enrolled in school here so possibly legal unless the same trick to gain a SS or birth certificate her bf used to get employment was used by her mother to gain access to school. Either way I think she has been in the country a long time. I even think she may have lived in a bigger city at one time where the hip hop culture she emulates is much more common then it is in Brooklyn. Perhaps Des Moines, Chicago or even west coast. She also has several posters on her page claiming that she supports DACA. Maybe she in fact is a DACA person, knows someone who is or just supports the cause.

I can even see Mollie befriending her and liking her as well. She was a kind person and again there is something about IM that is not only likable but admirable. With MT studying child psychology I could see her interested in helping the pregnant IM if she could to encourage her to believe in herself and become the person she wants to be and set an example for her baby. She clearly learned this as that is what her video is about. In fact if this is true, it is yet another way that CR was aware of her.

Last edited:
Very interesting and much of it does apply to CR The last part about having sexual contact with the victim after killing him or her. I can't even...................

Disorganized killer leaves the body where it is, organized killer hides the body.

This suspect hid the body, and that's a pretty significant point when it comes to organized versus disorganized.

So the EX GF has 5 FB profiles... FIVE! I also see a friend commenting and defending CR that is standing in front of a newly painted or tricked out black car. It could be a Malibu but I dunno? I asked a Sherriff homicide detective friend of mine about how they found the car from video, and he said the “certain details” LE is likely referring to is a car with custom rims, paint, loud pipes, or something along those lines that you can ask around and people know who drives it.... I also see some HOT debate going on under one of the EX GF’s pictures in which their good friends have a VERY interesting opinion on why this whole case will fall apart. I’m curious to see if anyone will get charged for accessory after the fact or helping a suspect evade LE... JMO

Legal Eagles I need your help please. According to the Affidavit of Probably Cause it states the crime of Murder in the 1st degree and the date and time of incident to be July 18 between 19:45 and 20:28.

Does this mean that the murder occurred at that time? No guessing please. Thank you!

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/082118+DCI+Arrest.pdf
I don't know if anyone could give you a definitive answer, but yes, it implies the assault began at 7:45 and ended at 8:28. Meaning she was no longer living at the end of that timeframe.

If Mollie felt safe enough to tell him that she would call the police..I wonder if he just acted like a pest at first. I know if I felt scared of someone following me I would not tell them to leave me alone or I would call the police..you never know how the person might react. I think that Mollie might have felt she could handle the situation until he became the psychopath that she never saw coming. Of course Mollie is NOT to blame for ANYTHING-that MONSTER is! My opinion only.

I wonder if this is not the first time Mollie tells him to get lost. Maybe he followed her around before.

Legal Eagles I need your help please. According to the Affidavit of Probably Cause it states the crime of Murder in the 1st degree and the date and time of incident to be July 18 between 19:45 and 20:28.

Does this mean that the murder occurred at that time? No guessing please. Thank you!

Sorry i didnt realize you were addressing a specific person. I thought you were calling us all legal eagles, for some strange reason. But I too would like to here all we can from a professional standpoint!!!

It means LE has probable cause to believe the crime of murder in the 1st degree happened during that time period based on the evidence LE currently has. It is not an absolute statement - their views can change after reviewing additional evidence. But they believed it enough to swear that they have reason to believe it to a Judge under penalty of perjury.

Can’t imagine the farm providing vehicles to workers other than for work related purposes in light of potentially staggering liability.
There are farms here that do it. Not all, but some. Usually they are trucks but I've seen migrants driving them after hours at grocery stores and even ice cream drive ins. Others don't have them and the workers have to walk or bike to where they want to go. Brooklyn is much smaller then the area I am referring to so I find it more likely there is a vehicle for their use because there is nothing close to them to walk to.

There are farms here that do it. Not all, but some. Usually they are trucks but I've seen migrants driving them after hours at grocery stores and even ice cream drive ins.
Ya its pretty common and not many consequences, unfortunatly. And if something happens they claim that the II took it without their permission....

It means LE has probable cause to believe the crime of murder in the 1st degree happened during that time period based on the evidence LE currently has. It is not an absolute statement - their views can change after reviewing additional evidence. But they believed it enough to swear that they have reason to believe it to a Judge under penalty of perjury.

Excuse me quoting myself... I'll add I think LE probably had a good reason to add the 8:28 limiter. Her Fitbit may have recorded her heart stopping, or that may be the time another witness recorded that he came home that night. They also may have video evidence. But there would be no reason for LE to limit the time period to such a narrow period unless there was a piece of evidence leading them to believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodhaven1