ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can get pretty darned close. Moscow, ID has a *lot* of cell towers, multiple ways to triangulate location. I can walk into the next room and watch my Apple watch move on Google maps, even without the wifi on. Same with my phone. If I leave my phone in the car, I can see that it's marked as being in my driveway, etc.

When BK took his phone off airplane mode or turned it back on, it would likely have also sought a local router to hook up to. My phone suggests I join networks as soon as I drive down my street, which of course, I ignore - but I still can see the router names, so my phone is pinging routers as well as cell towers.

We just do not know all the forensic data LE has gotten, by now, for that phone. They only wrote down what they needed for the PCA.

So "just in the area" can be fairly specific - such as whether the car is up on Walenta or whatever that street is, or whether it's on King or Queen. I am guessing it's pretty clear when his phone is near 1122 and not just in the area of 1122 (on those times when he went over at night before the killings).

I still can't believe he only turned his phone off after he left his apartment. I thought for sure that *any* smart perp would leave their phone at home with youtube on autoplay. And put the autoplay on for nights and nights before the crime.

Then I learned more about BK and told my husband that I believed he'd need his phone to figure out where he was - and I bet that's true, now that we learn he took that long route home. He turns the phone on as he's headed southbound out of Moscow, into unfamiliar territory, right about at the intersection where he turns to go to Genesee.
yeah... maybe he tried to surveil more than 12 times but sometimes got lost :(

But the gag order can’t cross states, can it? Idaho issued the gag order. If someone in PA talks, I don’t think there is the possibility of repercussions? MOO
I think officials in other states respect gag orders. It's sign of respect for the process. They can't be sanctioned, but they know why the gag order exists.

Been waiting to post. As far as the doordash arriving close in time to BK....what if X ordered it and it took so long to arrive they went to bed. And the dasher left in doorstep. Maybe BK brought the order in or the roommates, or friends they called over, did the next morning. So maybe BK watched it get dropped off and nobody came to door and lights were off so he entered. Or he didn't even see it get dropped off. But this is MOO and in reply to comment in last thread where someone was contemplating how brazen he was as X must have still been awake with lights on since she just got the doordash. Maybe she didn't get it and was asleep. Maybe they ordered it at like 2.45am and gave up waiting. I have had some super long DD deliveries. Especially if tough to get a driver to pick up (middle of the night).

The photo of the burger bag by the kitchen sink seems an odd placement of the bag. Maybe just dropped there in a non thinking hurry by BK or by the roommates and friends the next day. Guessing the next day people as they called 911.

Maybe X and E were in bed with lights off and X was on her phone (tiktok) waiting for order but E was trying to sleep so lights were off. Guessing, still though, that X never went to door for the order and it was brought in the next day as the friends (roommates called) arrived.
Idk. If she was on her phone scrolling through tiktok then why wouldn’t she have gotten up to get her food when it arrived? I think most likely she was eating in bed and either got up because she also heard a noise like DM or she was coming out of bathroom, BK heard her flush the toilet, waited for her to come out, and attacked her then. The bathroom is right next to her bedroom. It makes sense IMO that while he was upstairs he heard X downstairs and that is what led him to her room.

Gotta say that I am so puzzled by so many questions that are still unanswered if this horrific atrocity was done by just one Criminology PhD Candidate. Maybe some of you can answer.
1.) DoorDash-did he see the driver and wait? Do we know that Xana ate the food (bag appeared to be open.) Not a whole lot of time to eat with the timeline. Driver drops food off. Xana gets food. Xana eats food. Xana goes back to bed? Lots going on in that 20 minute window.
2.) Why pick a fairly busy Saturday night with lots of college kids still out roaming around, partying, etc... Why not mid-week when kids are more likely to be sleeping?
3.) Everyone who's anyone knows about cell phone pinging technology and certainly a PdD in Criminology candidate. Yet he still chose to bring the phone? Why not a burner phone?
4.) I really wonder if he anticipated such national attention from the getgo. I'd think with his personality he must have desired that, which leans toward mass killing. If he'd just killed one person, most of us would have never heard about it.
5.) Why did he spare DM, when he apparently looked right at her when he was leaving? Did he maybe feel he wanted to leave a potential scapegoat, i.e. point the finger at her as the perp? I don't get it. She saw him. He still had the knife? Why didn't he kill her (thank God he didn't.)
I think some of this is summarized by the mind of a killer. Seems like they get focus, feel invincible, and usually make mistakes. I think the motive to just thrill kill gets in the way of logic. If he was just trining to kill, the knife wouldn't have been the choice. If not a knife, there woundn't have been a sheath, and the search would be still going on.

He appears to be an amateur killer, not a mafia hit man.

He just isn't that bright. Probably good at studies and short on common sense.

MOO

not sure how he got from seeing them to knowing enough about them to access their social media- it is not a huge leap but just seeing a person does not let you access their social media

You can use FB and see who is NearBy. Super Easy, or take a photo upload to your FB account (privately), and Fb can recognize the photo and suggest a name to the tag and on Instagram. It's easier than you think. Nametags at work, asking a friend, or a coworker their names. People can find info if they really want it. Technology makes it easier.

I read the affidavit as saying there is no record after November14, so I am thinking that he jettisoned the phone along with the knife, clothing,etc. after he left the hardware store.
I'm not sure about that. I think that is just when the analysis stopped being important for the case in the terms of the probable cause affidavit.

The AA didn't say "they locked eyes", it said she saw him "walking towards her" and she froze. I bet her lights were off, and he didn't catch any movement. I don't think he even noticed her, thank God.
See my post a cpl pages back.
I HIGHLY doubt he ever saw or noticed DM.
Don't think that 2nd floor was intended victims, and X being awake, whether in kitchen or hallway, likely made her unfortunately another victim.

Have had some time to digest and read back through the PCA;

• Again - want to give kudos to Chief Fry and all those involved. As we were doubting during the investigation, they were putting together quite a comprehensive picture of the events that occurred. While we thought they weren't capable, they were outdoing the efforts of most large departments in the US.
  • I thought the scale of FBI was odd, initially, but it now makes WAY more sense since we had multiple states in the picture from almost the beginning. MPD (and probably ISP) starting framing together the picture of the Hyuandi very quickly.
  • Kudos to the WSU PD Officer that spotted AND ran the information pertaining to the car. Getting that image attached to the driver owning the registration was the catalyst for this entire thing. The picture matching DM's description was THE start of the end for BK.
  • I believe SG was told by LE that they had more info after his emotional media appearances. I can't imagine how tough the line of withholding information but having to tell the parents to trust you was. I believe they showed him something to prove they were on it and not falling into a cold case scenario.
  • This is just MOO, but I am having a hard time picturing the XR/EC sequence of events. IF MM was the target and her and KG were killed first, I would think the crying from XR (assumed) would wake Ethan up. If Ethan was first, I would assume XR would make some sort of audible noise to alert the others? I'm just very confused by her being awake.
  • I think BK may have been confused and not counted KG as a possibility in the home? If he watched the home enough and counted XR, MM, EC (as a routine guest), DM, and the other - he would imagine encountering 5 individuals. In his mind, he may have assumed KG was one of the other roommates? If he did see DM, he would have "accounted" for everyone in the home.
All just my thoughts and opinions.
Xana could have had headphones in. Especially if everyone was asleep and she was on Tiktoc

Two interesting points:

1. DM is considered a victim of the crimes and BF is not (DM served a Victim’s Notification Form, BF was not)
2. List of no contact individuals (not sure who BM & KC nor KL & SL are, but the rest are the 4 victim’s immediate family members plus the 2 surviving roommates)

BK might have known K was in the house if he was following them on social media. Someone posted an instagram photo with all of them in it. He could have seen it. Or, he could have seen K and M in the food truck twitch stream.

I'm still stuck on X's lock. Was the lock being changed ever confirmed by LE or is that now disproven? If it is true, was BK in that house when no one else was, trying to get a feel of the layout or see which room belonged to who? I wonder if his phone pinged in the area sometime before the lock was allegedly changed.

All of that is speculation and MOO.

Reposting this for any that missed it.
Documents likely path of BK.
I do not believe he ever saw DM. Between darkness and concentrating on finding back door in an awkward layout (plus-speculating-in a degree of shock himself from initially unintended vics XK and EC), I just think his line of vision never went there. He may have thought room was empty since he passed it 3x at least...or, more likely, 1st/2nd floor was not his intended victims and due to seeing/hearing X (eating Door Dash in kitchen, or on Tik Tok, whatever) that changed. DM was apparently silent and simply never drew his focus.

I've said it before...I will not speculate or question DM actions, and please don't use this for that purpose. I think it just underscores how fragile life is--and simply choosing to use Tik Tok at 412 am instead of falling asleep can be the difference in life and death. So sad, so tragic. View attachment 393180
Thank you for reposting this.

I'm sure we are going to find out that he searched on his phone about the murders before they were even reported.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if he used a torrent browser, like The Onion Router, on his laptop to access the dark web/prevent being tracked.
Does anyone know if data can be recovered from searches on a torrent browser?

Two interesting points:

1. DM is considered a victim of the crimes and BF is not (DM served a Victim’s Notification Form, BF was not)
2. List of no contact individuals (not sure who BM & KC nor KL & SL are, but the rest are the 4 victim’s immediate family members plus the 2 surviving roommates)

Possibly because BF never awoke and therefore is unable to give any witness or victim statement

Consider the possibility that the food she ordered was for a late breakfast.
I'm not familiar with JITB's menu; maybe she took the food out of the bag and put it in the fridge for morning?

not sure how he got from seeing them to knowing enough about them to access their social media- it is not a huge leap but just seeing a person does not let you access their social media

Lots of people who are trying to grow their social media following will post their insta handles on dating websites, imo. This is not to say that BK or any of the victims were on dating websites (I haven't seen evidence of this anyway), but just worth noting that there are a number of different ways that people make their social media accounts known. Also not claiming here that BK was familiar with their social media accounts, but just pointing out that it's usually pretty easy to find people (with even just a quick search if you have someone's full name) online.

My sound silly I was thinking pants like runners/riding bike pants, tight fitting no pockets, maybe had sheath in waist under shirt, after removing knife and starting the attack it fell out.

Jmo
the sheath is not convenient without a belt but carring a super sharp 7" knife around without a sheath is also not convenient- did he wrap it in a towel or something?

Last edited:
In the river with the knife
Or buried in the rural area that his phone records pinged after the murders--and did he return there when he thought was safe before going to PA in Dec? -analogous to behaviors of many criminals after a crime-a sick voyeurism-observer-- did he return to that rural area where he buried his treasure trove of carnage? I hope they check that route out very carefully.

Two interesting points:

Possibly BF wasn’t really at the home when the occurred and LE just played it off that way so the killer wouldn’t target the remaining person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
$andRose