ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I speculate that he may have been triggered by a humiliation that had nothing to do with his victims as individuals, but a humiliation that he associated with them in the abstract (i.e., as undergraduate students). I think he had selected his targets (either 1122 King or specific occupants of 1122 King) well before the trigger event, so the trigger event did not determine who he killed or why, but it did influence when he chose to act. (This is all just my hypothesis based on a possibly flawed understanding of BK's temperament and what motivated him).

The specific event I'll put forward as a potential trigger is the one described by WSU student Hayden Stinchfield in a NYPost article and interview:

Based on what I understand about BK--including the fact that he clearly identified as and wanted to be seen as intelligent--I believe the confrontational debate over BK's grading practices as described by Stinchfield would have caused BK acute humiliation. I believe BK has a rather authoritarian personality, meaning that he is inclined to show unquestioning obedience and respect to those in positions of power/authority while being strict or punitive towards subordinates. I think that when the (male) professor for whom he was a teaching assistant gave undergraduates the floor to openly critique BK's grading methods/practices, BK experienced a deep wound to his ego that he was not equipped to manage through his usual (limited) coping strategies. And, given his authoritarian mindset, he would not have blamed the professor but the undergraduates. I think he projected his rage at the undergraduate students at WSU onto the 1122 King residents (also undergraduate students) that he was already targeting for other (unknown) reasons. I think this event may have been the trigger that provoked BK to act when he did. (Unfortunately we do not have precise information about the timing of this event, but I would very much like to know when this occurred.)

In this hypothesis, it is BK's internal humiliation and rage, rather than external circumstances or the comings and goings of his victims, that really clinched the timing of the murders. And to be clear I think he would have attempted the murders regardless -- he had been fantasizing about them and planning them for a while.
So interesting and I agree for the most part, I think he projected his pain outward but also wanted to control it and marry the feeling of his pain/humiliation with his vast intellect. Almost like he couldn’t acknowledge or feel his feelings without dissociating from them immediately with the powers of his mind.
I wanted to add that I think he chose the house (and the students in it) as a target because it was seen as easy to access, being a known party house, with lots of people coming and going, doors unlocked/left open and multiple cars coming and going at all times of day and night. I don’t know that I believe he had a connection with or specifically targeted any one student in the house and the murders were rage at pretty girls or happy friends. I think the key here is he was looking for subjects with which to experiment with and lax security measures would allow his experimentation. JMO
One other thing, I think neither the victims nor BK’s physical appearance plays into this tragic circumstance - nor should it. It rankles me a bit to constantly read the superlatives in a negative or positive sense directed towards the physical appearances of the victims vs BK. We are all conditioned of course in our responses to appearance as human beings and I don’t deny that. Let’s
just try to see beyond that conditioning in the way we express our ideas about this case.
I believe power and control are at the root of the evil that is murder.

One other possibility crossed my mind in regards to the strange phrasing in the PCA. Did DM get an attorney to help manage her interaction with LE? If so, is it possible that she provided only written statements and did not, in fact, respond to live questions from LE? In this case saying "DM did not state that she recognized him" would make a lot more sense.
I doubt that DM refused to speak with LE before getting an attorney or seeking advice from one. Why would she ever consider doing that? JMO.

I heard the terms today emotional intelligence and social intelligence could be missing since we know he has academic intelligence.

Definitely lacking both. I’m not sure if there is a definition for those 3 attributes combined but I see more of the total 3 lacking in murder cases. Strike. But there are no hard and fast rules regarding the profiles of murderers. We often see that anger is the base for most though. They are often described as smart because of their ability to convince people to believe they are harmless.

He had the capability to express himself on paper well on that forum at a young age. He also had the academic ability to carry him through his recent years of education.
Why then was he careless in not leaving clues? Experience, adrenaline?

I have wondered if he is ok with being caught because he accomplished what he planned to do. Bravo, he showed them and he will be famous for it. Happy with his end goal regardless of where that lands him? That in itself is a lack of social awareness and intelligence. He has no experience with prison life so how can he be ok with it in exchange for accomplishing his goal?

They are thick and stand out which does in fact fit his description. Does it prove it was him? No.

Does it help add another piece to solving the crime? Yes.

Everything adds up, A totality of the evidence.

A male
5-foot-10 or taller
Not very muscular
Athletically built
Bushy eyebrows

Owns same make and model of car seen around the home
His phone pinged and/or car was seen 12 times around home before murders
His phone pinged and/or car was seen around home the morning of the murders

His touch DNA was found at the crime scene, not on doorknobs like he had visited in the past, but on the knife sheath that the murder weapon was in

His DNA matched his dad's DNA from his trash

He was out at 4:00am with gloves on putting his trash in his neighbor's trash bin.

And so on....A giant puzzle with each piece of evidence and witness testimony creating a clear picture of the perpetrator of these 4 murders.
Totality of the evidence. That's it - great post

If you dated him would you go to the press or just directly to the FBI/LE?
I think I'd be too ashamed to be associated with him to go to the media.
Or beyond shame: Many people would just not want to send the masses googling if they revealed I had a connection to this dude. I'd rather remain anonymous and take it to my grave.

Okay, so, I'm going to post this, since an Admin posted that it's now allowed. I wanted to post a more direct source but I was advised that source is (still) off limits. However, I found a discussion on Reddit about the very thing so here it goes....

DM and another MSM have broken stories about suspecting BK participating in discussions under a pseudonym of PR. I have several comments and seen screenshots of posts made by this PR and, though they're creepy, there's 1 in particular that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was one about the knife sheath. 4 weeks prior to the PCA becoming public. This person had stated the sheath was left at the scene. There was argument back and forth about it with others claiming it was far fetched, etc but the OP kept insisting and would not back down. I cannot come up with any reason why anybody, but the killer, would have known this prior to the PDA, which is specifically why I wanted to discuss it here. For the love of chocolate ice cream, can anyone here think of a viable reason why someone would throw that out there 4 weeks prior to it becoming public??

Here are a couple of the screenshotsView attachment 393971View attachment 393972

and here is the source & discussion on it:
Someone here on WS also speculated about a sheath a few weeks prior to the PCA. Honestly, even on here, there were some crazy, creepy theories about what may have happened. I don't think anyone here is BK because of their speculations. People other than murderers can speculate on details and get them right.

Definitely lacking both. I’m not sure if there is a definition for those 3 attributes combined but I see more of the total 3 lacking in murder cases. Strike. But there are no hard and fast rules regarding the profiles of murderers. We often see that anger is the base for most though. They are often described as smart because of their ability to convince people to believe they are harmless.

He had the capability to express himself on paper well on that forum at a young age. He also had the academic ability to carry him through his recent years of education.
Why then was he careless in not leaving clues? Experience, adrenaline?

I have wondered if he is ok with being caught because he accomplished what he planned to do. Bravo, he showed them and he will be famous for it. Happy with his end goal regardless of where that lands him? That in itself is a lack of social awareness and intelligence. He has no experience with prison life so how can he be ok with it in exchange for accomplishing his goal?
Yeah and if he gets death row, he would most likely get some crazed person that marries death row inmates.

I doubt that DM refused to speak with LE before getting an attorney or seeking advice from one. Why would she ever consider doing that? JMO.
I think she might have been very overwhelmed/scared and sometimes having a professional advocate in those situations can be really reassuring and helpful.

I understand what you are saying and that’s how most people think about most things. We all do that.

What I’m saying is that the difference between dm state and that’s what the officer wrote is the difference of getting the whole thing thrown out. In a trial every word in that will be questioned.

The way it’s written is IMPERATIVE
No necessarily, the officer will most likely testify and he can easily clear up that and if D gets up on the stand she can say what exactly she did and when. It could be as simple as her saying "I got up looked at the clock and it was around 4:02 or 4:03." So the officer would write approximately 4am, which is not inaccurate and would not impact the trial or the testimony.

iirc, early on the police stated that they had not cleared the surviving roommates..they may have been treated as suspects initially (or having pertinent information about what happened).

He’s saying his eye color changed. I've known that hair color can change as one ages.
In most people, the answer is no. Eye color fully matures in infancy and remains the same for life. But in a small percentage of adults, eye color can naturally become either noticeably darker or lighter with age. What determines eye color is the pigment melanin.
I googled this

I think she might have been very overwhelmed/scared and sometimes having a professional advocate in those situations can be really reassuring and helpful.
I would think that talking to LE would be reassuring and helpful and I don't see why LE would not treat her in a professional manner.

I still don't see a reason for DM getting an attorney before giving LE a statement. JMO.

I can't remember where I read it but I seem to remember his family filing bankruptcy twice. Stands to reason they could have had to sell out and move.
The bankruptcy papers say they surrendered their home. PDF Schedule D page 16 of 50 from heavy.com. Link about halfway down the page in the article.

JMO

IMO, if that is truly BK writing those posts over a decade ago, it may explain him but it doesn't excuse him.

The line, "I feel like a criminal, but where is my record?" seems to me that in order to feel whole, he felt it was necessary to commit an actual crime and have a verified criminal record.

If that is even really BK---the picture IMO looks like him but more like him now, not at aged 15 or so.

If it's true that BK was feeling all this disassociation, visual snow, suicidal thoughts, hostility to his sweet father, lack of being real, that is beyond awful.

It doesn't excuse what he did.

He could've stolen money or something and earned himself a criminal record. Plus he references some medical help he was receiving.

He doesn't appear to not know right from wrong, or he wouldn't have taken the steps he did to exit the scene.

Jmo

Nobody is excusing him if he murdered those kids. In fact, if he did do it the public needs to be protected from him. That means a jury will decide how he is sentenced.

"The discussions were just “pretty typical icebreaker” chats between new colleagues, Roberts said, including how Pullman was much different from the places each of them grew up.

In class, Kohberger mostly came off as professional, Roberts said, although he said he was put off when Kohberger began to consistently show himself to be more forceful and condescending with women during seminar discussions.

“It’s hard to see a pattern emerging while you’re in the classroom, but he would tend to push back when a female was talking, more than a male talking,” Roberts said. “He was more keen on asking probing questions and things like that.”

The other master’s student said Kohberger “talked down to LGBTQ+ individuals, those who are in a marginalized community, those who were disabled, and women.” Kohberger also declared himself someone who “believed in ‘traditional marriage,’“ his classmate said."

In another incident, Kohberger’s classmate said, a colleague hung a pride ally flag on the door of their office, and Kohberger became noticeably upset."

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article270876677.html

He doesn’t have to take the stand in his own defense, his defense attorney just has to make reasonable doubt to the jury? JMO
Remember Sleuthers it takes just one person on a jury to vote not guilty for a mistrial!
The Rhoden/Giley murders where investigated for over 2 years before they made an arrest after that the LE was getting evidence 5 years later, just saying that LE has a long way to go still yet!
I'm sure there is still work to do, but we really don't know how much they still need to document, because they rightly haven't shared all their evidence with us. I've been on murder juries before and, so far, what I've heard sounds like a pretty strong framework to me. And so far, I haven't heard any reasonable doubt pitches that made any sense to me at all.

By the time we get to trial, I think they're going to have a lot more forensics that confirm what happened in that house, plus internet searches, maybe even proof he purchased the knife, etc. They might even find he ordered it from Amazon. Wouldn't surprise me, since he was dumb enough to take his phone with him as well as be taped on security camera all over the place.

If pictured in the mind, dm wakes up and hears “what she thought was k playing with her do in one of the rooms upstairs. I’m pretty sure she would know ks voice. If right after she heard the same voice say someone’s here, it was likely k as well. It would be now a few minutes after 4. If the timeline is correct and dm is now awake that means she would have been awake to hear if someone pulled slider open go across the kitchen and go up two winding wooden stairwells passed her door upstairs to kill the two girls above her and go back down the stairs around to da room. That would mean k was awake when bk would have gotten in sometime after atleast 4:08 or so from timeline.

She was paying attention once she woke up. He’s a tall guy not dainty in a rush. Seems impossible a person would hear someone say someone’s here but not all the noises of sliding doors, ups and downs of stairs and a murder of two people directly above but would hear a whimper from all the way through living room around corner.

I’m not putting dm down. No matter what it’s horrific.

I’m just saying there’s something missing.
When DM woke up and “ thought she heard KG playing with her dog” it doesn’t say that she heard a voice.

I interpreted it to mean she heard noises from the 3rd floor above her. Being a life long dog owner, to me it would sound like a dog scampering about fetching a toy or someone roughhousing with the pup on the floor. Would not have to include a human voice or dog sounds like yipping or barking.

If she heard what I just described, it might have been sounds of KG and MM being attacked.

Just my opinion and speculation only.

And yes, there IS a whole lot more. The Affidavit does not spell out the entire case and evidence. It’s purpose is to take to the Prosecutor so he can determine charges and request an arrest warrant from the Judge.

M
O
O

There is though.
He was bullied by his peers, allegedly
He consumed Class A drugs, heroin, namely, allegedly That's abuse too even though he likely was medicating trauma, and even though he inflicted it on his own psyche and soma, it's still an infliction.
We don't know his full story yet.
A loving family cannot protect a child from external forces no matter how much they love them, sadly.

Bullying a child because of his weight or whatever is assault on his whole life..
As far as being bullied, that’s a school and society problem. Thankfully, there is an on going attempt to change schools social cultures- all over the country. Kids are mean. That’s why parents are frown upon from naming their kids what they deemed as “cool name” such as Dracula.( a friend name their son Dracula and he got bullied relentlessly). I’m barely qualified in interpreting mental thoughts of BK. I avoid rationalizing their bad behavior as it gives credence to their crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz