ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think yours is an interesting theory and very plausible.

My theory really is a bit silly, but I'll share it. I, too, do not think BCK has a very high opinion of himself. He had some problems growing up. Being overweight and bullied, visual snow issues (which sounds like like an absolutely horrible condition to have, plus heroin use that required a treatment center.

About the bullying part; lots (maybe most) kids are bullied growing up. It sucks but I think that's just part of life. And you know what? It very well could be that he was a huge jerk and kids were just reacting to his poor treatment of them.

I look at his life and I don't really think he was happy with where he was headed. I wonder what he thought his next steps were with a Ph.D. in criminology? It would appear that in his past he wanted to go into law enforcement and/or the Army Rangers. That obviously didn't happen and I really don't think he wanted to go into teaching.

This article stood out to me with a couple of quotes from former students, pretty much saying that after the murders, his behavior showed (more than usual) that he really didn't want to be in class. Bryan Kohberger ‘seemed preoccupied’ after Idaho murders: former student Here are some quotes:

View attachment 394331
View attachment 394330

My thoughts are that he was ending his academic career, didn't want to go into teaching, probably had no LE prospects and was too old to become an Army Ranger, plus no girlfriend or one on the horizon.

He needed to start planning his next steps in life, so he decided on murder (I know, this sound silly, but hear me out). I agree he likely had an unhealthy fascination with death and murder and really wanted to just see what it felt like to commit this crime. He probably didn't really want to get caught, per se, but on the other hand I don't think he really cared if he did, either.

I believe he finally got serious about it and really started his planning back in May 2022 when he went onto Reddit surveying former criminals about their crimes. The next couple of months I think he began meticulously planning the future crime (the weapon he would use, what he would wear, etc.).

I assume he arrived at WSU in August shortly before the fall semester started. We know from cell phone pings that as early as a few weeks after his arrival in WA he started looking for a place to target (the 1122 King Rd. home). I was always puzzled why LE said they didn't know if the house was "targeted" or if one of the victims were. Now, I have no doubt that it was the house.

I do not think he knew any of the victims or that something they did could have finally pushed him over the edge. He has overcome a lot in his life and made some decisions that have changed his life for the better. He chose to start boxing, became a vegan and lost a lot of weight. He became a heroin user (perhaps because the visual snow episodes had him so depressed that he turned to drug use). He then chose to clean up and went to rehab.

As he made all those deliberate choices, I think this crime was just another one of those choices. Maybe he was at the end of his rope, felt like he had no good future prospects, and actually didn't mind the idea of prison, where the rest of his life would be decided for him.

MOO, silly as it is.
You make good points. However, subconscious emotions and thought processes wear on a person over time. The reason for his ability to pull himself out is more likely the stability of his family and love he knew he had at home. The outside public school world I believe formed him and where he spent most of his time away from home. He may have thrived if his awkwardness was not so prominent. If he is quiet at home, there is very little signalling of what issues are occuring at school. Again, the heroin is more likely a result of finding himself an outcast and being in the wrong community of approving individuals. At some point, the family has limited resources to do very much. I believe it is like many Americans that struggle with how to find the right resources to help their children.

Sorry if this has been discussed...this chat moves so fast....I assume there is an interview with LE after his arrest ....have heard nothing about this.....anyone know what the story is with that and when do those typically come out for public viewing?

There was a press conference right after his arrest. You should find it in the Media thread—linked on the first page of every thread.

It didn’t tell us much, because they couldn’t divulge information until he was back in court in Idaho. By then, the gag order was up, but we got the Probable Cause Affidavit, very informative, and also in the Media thread.

Your assumption would be correct, they list the address in the PCA - 1112 King Road. Those lightbulb socket cameras are widely available on Amazon.

9751b54a6d5ed3134e0cb94a8f76381b-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

f6f368be3b5b3062d92605b21445f801-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Source
I wonder if there was one on the back of the house? Imo

I think yours is an interesting theory and very plausible.

<snipped for focus>

As he made all those deliberate choices, I think this crime was just another one of those choices. Maybe he was at the end of his rope, felt like he had no good future prospects, and actually didn't mind the idea of prison, where the rest of his life would be decided for him.

MOO, silly as it is.
Thanks. I find your interesting as well. When you look at it, he had worked hard to overcome any issues he'd had, but I could also see where he might feel that he was failing. As you say, no girlfriend, no apparent signs of one in the past, he failed to get his Masters project done, poor interpersonal skills, which would have doomed him as LE and as a teacher. It looks like he was very close to losing his TA position, and performed so poorly that the professor and students publicly humiliated him, which would be pretty brutal for anyone. Although I could understand if the professor is second guessing him/herself about that approach now, I'm certainly not trying to suggest that the confrontation about grades alone could have prompted these events. I think it was just one more brick on the scale.

I could certainly see all of that nudging someone to suicide. Or just walking away from their life and disappearing. I'm not so sure about killing four people as a response to that, but many professionals might vehemently disagree with me.

One thing I struggle with about the house being the target is why he would choose a target that is in such close proximity to other homes. Of course, that choice is why we have all that security footage, but I'm sure there is no shortage of more isolated homes he could have chosen. Maybe he saw the occupants as a symbol of what he couldn't ever seem to have. I don't know. And we may never know for sure.

The noises up above DM happened first, woke her up around 4am. She thought it was Kaylee playing with her dog upstairs. She heard , "There's someone hear". She sees nothing.

Maybe Ethan and Xana waiting on the Door Dash guy looked out their window when they saw car lights and said those words. DDG knocks, rings the bell or Xana gets to him before that so no noise to bother the others sleeping at 4am. Maybe while Xana was downstairs killer came into her bedroom.

Then DM heard a male voice, "It's ok, I'm going to help you". She opens her door again, nothing, killer is in Xana's room. A little while later DM hears crying and opens her door for the third time to look out. The killer is walking across the living room from the front of the house area towards the kitchen in the the back of the house area by the sliding door.

All that sounds to me like the first place the killer went was the third floor. I think his stalking may have included sitting up on Walenta Drive behind the house. You can see the girl's rooms up there(Google Maps) and if he had binoculars, really well. There's only one house a bit of a distance away from right there and probably no cameras pointed up from King Road. Instead of driving down that since it's basically a dead end that may have been one of his stalking spots.

I really think if Ethan and Xana hadn't been awake and moving around (Door Dash delivery) the killer might have just left after the third floor killings. I wonder if Xana may have seen him coming down the stairs or standing in the kitchen and that's why he killed them.

His first choice for a target was upstairs, IMO.
This is all JMO.

I can agree with all of this.
I never considered that the comment “somebody is here” may have been referring to the DoorDash guy, but that makes a lot of sense.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how likely do we think it is that the thud/voices/barking that the neighbor's camera picked up was the same sound that woke up DM? She described it as sounding like KG playing with the dog upstairs. Now, if I think about what kind of sounds I would associate with a person playing with a dog on an upper floor, I would think footsteps, voices, and puppy sounds (barking, squealing, panting, etc.). So, theoretically, that seems plausible to me.

Of course, if those two instances are actually one, that means one of two things:

Either the time on one of the cameras is off (remember, we've got the sounds on camera at 4:17 and the car leaving at 4:20; although, we don't know if that was the same camera) and the timeline we're working with isn't entirely correct, or everything happened within a span of just three minutes.
Ive wondered if his footsteps going up initially woke her and she doesn’t even know it. Bc once she was awake, she reports sounds of the dog “likely playing with Kaylee”. I have retired from Nursing now, and my husband mainly works from home. I have found that I wake up and I can smell the coffee but I hear no sound. I know that there was a noise, but it’s not there now. My husband is VERY loud in all activities. This happens several times a week. So I think there was a sound that initially woke her and then she was attuned to the upstairs sounds that were reported in the PCA, jmo.

Court TV has been pointing out that there is no Johnson, Idaho, and so that was an error in the PCA, and they probably meant Johnson, WA, which is an unincorporated area between Pullman and Clarkston (where he went to an Albertsons).

I'm just curious: when you say framed, do you mean the police are trying to wrongfully convict him to close the case? Or do you mean that some other third party, "the real murderer", is trying to frame him for this crime? I've heard this mentioned before but, so far, I don't recall seeing anyone point out something they felt suggested someone was framing him. I would be interested if someone could point out something they feel suggests that. Thanks!
Well this morning that idea seems very unlikely. Last night I was thinking the real killer left it to frame BK, except bring in the Elantra and gloves to dispose of trash, and another thought from early on when leaving a sheath behind was just an idea my thought was OJ Simpson, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit", that BK used a different knife that does not fit that sheath.

With all due respect, this is much more complicated than having received unkind treatment during his school years. It’s pretty heinous to kill for strangers in cold blood. I have a 34-year-old daughter with multiple mental health diagnosis. She had very unhappy high school years but in no way has this combination of unstable mental health and unhappy school years put her on a path of violence. She is very kind and loving.
Yes, respectfully, it all depends on how the person is formed and how they resolved their issues. I suggest that what we know is that BK had responded by also becoming a bully. Responded by resolving to be a bit less empathetic toward people. Resolving by thinking through how he may one day respond to a similar situation. He may not realized why he was a strong candidate to study criminology but his strengths from resolving his own torture could subconsciously lead him in the direction he choose without resolving his closely held issues. If there are issues where a person is constantly thinking back to their early years where their may be a feeling of helplessness all it may take is a suggestion that a knifing would an appropriate response. It must be clear that the person of BK thinking his highly distorted at this point. Many people are like animals ready to explode under the right situation. That is what jails do, hold those that just have been utterly destroyed away from society.

Well this morning that idea seems very unlikely. Last night I was thinking the real killer left it to frame BK, except bring in the Elantra and gloves to dispose of trash, and another thought from early on when leaving a sheath behind was just an idea my thought was OJ Simpson, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit", that BK used a different knife that does not fit that sheath.
Thank you for answering. :)

I can agree with all of this.
I never considered that the comment “somebody is here” may have been referring to the DoorDash guy, but that makes a lot of sense.
Agree, and what she thought was someone playing with a dog does not ring alarm bells. At 21 and not conditioned to think the worst, all ordinary happenings in that party house.

Crazy. His eyes WERE blue
BK's eyes look blue in some photos taken when he was being transported. Kind of gray in some photos. Brown in some. Maybe he has hazel eyes and change colors. My husband's eyes turn very green when he wears green, but are mostly hazel. My 12 year old nephew has blue eyes til a few years ago, now his eyes also change according to what he is wearing - blue when wearing blue, sometimes brown or grey or hazel.
Blue:

Brown:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but how likely do we think it is that the thud/voices/barking that the neighbor's camera picked up was the same sound that woke up DM? She described it as sounding like KG playing with the dog upstairs. Now, if I think about what kind of sounds I would associate with a person playing with a dog on an upper floor, I would think footsteps, voices, and puppy sounds (barking, squealing, panting, etc.). So, theoretically, that seems plausible to me.

Of course, if those two instances are actually one, that means one of two things:

Either the time on one of the cameras is off (remember, we've got the sounds on camera at 4:17 and the car leaving at 4:20; although, we don't know if that was the same camera) and the timeline we're working with isn't entirely correct, or everything happened within a span of just three minutes.
The timeline is important here for sure. And I wondered about the camera times. Given the amount of time LE has had with the footage, I would think the times given in the PCA are accurate. That does leave a pretty tight time window, but I think it is certainly "doable." The references to what DM saw/heard and when are problematic, in my opinion. I don't cast aspersion on her, but I think her memory may not be accurate. She is just awoken, may or may not be intoxicated to some degree, and we are told was left in a state of terror. I think its safe to say her memory of specific events and timing may be off. And that is important for LE and the DA to deal with. Certainly not everything she told LE is in the affidavit. So there is more to learn. But in my opinion, and this is just after only a couple days thinking on it, her details given, don't fit with some of the other "facts." And I suspect this is a result of faulty memory or LE not taking down her comments correctly. I really do wonder if the sounds she reported as playing with the dog are not actually the beginning of the attack and perhaps the sounds recorded by the neighbor's camera.

Court TV has been pointing out that there is no Johnson, Idaho, and so that was an error in the PCA, and they probably meant Johnson, WA, which is an unincorporated area between Pullman and Clarkston (where he went to an Albertsons).
There is a Johnson, ID about 2 hours drive from Moscow. I did initially think they meant Johnson, WA as well but given the missing time between pings it's plausible that he drove to the Idaho one.

I think Kaylee was in her room. And BCK had snuck into the house and up to Maddie's room and may have begun stabbing her. Murphy started barking and Kaylee heard noises. So, she opened her door and said, "There's someone here" or "Is someone here?" and closed her door to keep the dog inside as she went over to Maddie's room to find out what was going on or if Maddie had heard anything. As soon as she opened Maddie's door, he stabbed her and she may have struggled with him until he stabbed her again. So, DM heard the dog barking and movement upstairs and she thought Kaylee was playing with Murphy. And that's how Murphy ended up in Kaylee's room by himself with no blood on him. I think Xana and Ethan were, unfortunately, collateral damage.

That seems to contradict SG's public statements but he may have made assumptions. He's mentioned several times that the two slept in the same bed often and he did mention that K's bed was still made.

I did notice that when I read the report that the wording for location of their bodies indicated they were 'in' the bed not on it.

To me all the scenarios are unlikely. That he left it intentionally, that it was left to frame him, that it was left by accident. All strike me as plausible, but all almost equally unlikely. Occam's razor doesn't know where to slice.

I know most people will think it was just an accident, but for anyone, let alone a guy with a Masters degree in Criminology, to make such a monumental blunder, just seems as unlikely as the rest.

One thing I'm certain of - LE didn't place it there. Beyond that, I'm mystified.

JMHO

I think Kaylee was in her room. And BCK had snuck into the house and up to Maddie's room and may have begun stabbing her. Murphy started barking and Kaylee heard noises. So, she opened her door and said, "There's someone here" or "Is someone here?" and closed her door to keep the dog inside as she went over to Maddie's room to find out what was going on or if Maddie had heard anything. As soon as she opened Maddie's door, he stabbed her and she may have struggled with him until he stabbed her again. So, DM heard the dog barking and movement upstairs and she thought Kaylee was playing with Murphy. And that's how Murphy ended up in Kaylee's room by himself with no blood on him. I think Xana and Ethan were, unfortunately, collateral damage.

That seems to contradict SG's public statements but he may have made assumptions. He's mentioned several times that the two slept in the same bed often and he did mention that K's bed was still made.

I did notice that when I read the report that the wording for location of their bodies indicated they were 'in' the bed not on it.

Thanks. I find your interesting as well. When you look at it, he had worked hard to overcome any issues he'd had, but I could also see where he might feel that he was failing. As you say, no girlfriend, no apparent signs of one in the past, he failed to get his Masters project done, poor interpersonal skills, which would have doomed him as LE and as a teacher. It looks like he was very close to losing his TA position, and performed so poorly that the professor and students publicly humiliated him, which would be pretty brutal for anyone. Although I could understand if the professor is second guessing him/herself about that approach now, I'm certainly not trying to suggest that the confrontation about grades alone could have prompted these events. I think it was just one more brick on the scale.

I could certainly see all of that nudging someone to suicide. Or just walking away from their life and disappearing. I'm not so sure about killing four people as a response to that, but many professionals might vehemently disagree with me.

One thing I struggle with about the house being the target is why he would choose a target that is in such close proximity to other homes. Of course, that choice is why we have all that security footage, but I'm sure there is no shortage of more isolated homes he could have chosen. Maybe he saw the occupants as a symbol of what he couldn't ever seem to have. I don't know. And we may never know for sure.
I believe it is a result of his internal conflict, resolve to not be the victim. He didn't just choose his actions casually as a good idea. This was the result of many years of studying this type of crime and resolving his own victimization. He resolved that his actions where appropriate to satisfy a personal self image, a desire, a belief, and then actions to obtain what he felt was needed. To him, this was progress. No matter how distorted it may be, to him, it was an appropriate response to something either in his months in Idaho or in how he was formed when exposed to the environment he lived in. It is not clear to me how he chose Washington. But here we are. How do we do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member