ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
"As students return to campus after the Thanksgiving break, more are coming forward to participate in interviews with the police about the investigation.
One piece of the investigation Painter said police are still trying to learn more about is a gap in time between when Kernodle and Chapin left a party at Chapin's fraternity Sigma Chi and when they arrived back home. The couple allegedly left the party around 9 p.m. November 12 but didn't arrive home until 1:45 a.m. November 13.
Painter said police don't know what occurred during that gap and are continuing to interview students who live at Sigma Chi or were attending the party for more information."

Here’s a quote direct from Snell about that gap. Seems to lend more credence to the thought that investigators are missing some information on Xana and Ethan’s evening.

“Xana and Ethan were at the Sigma Chi fraternity house down the street from the home on King Road. Investigators said they got home around 1:45 a.m.

"The night at the fraternity house there are some gaps in the timeline and coverage. If anybody has any information about that, we’d like to know," Snell said.”

Xana loved her dog, Shoeshine, enjoyed EDM music, going to concerts, spending time with her friends and going on family trips with her sister and father. When she was little she loved spending time on her grandma and grandpa's farm and summers at the river.

Xana was someone who was loved dearly by her family, friends and classmates. She was a very positive and outgoing person who went out of her way to make everyone feel welcome.

These obits are brutal.

I don't understand the tyvek. There hasn't been a statement by LE that there isn't evidence left. The tyvek suit would be a great attention getter to someone who's desire was to stay hidden.

There is an isolated and quite dark student parking lot just through the back woods and up the hill from the home. Maybe 50 yards at most from what I've seen in videos. It would have been easy to case the home, watch through the windows, plot a course, and walk down in a Tyvek suit or similar without ever being seen or heard. Then it's just a matter of committing the crime, switching the suits out, putting bloody one in backpack or similar, and returning to the path.

LE has stated there is a lot of evidence to process and even posted the amount if I recall. There are, after all, 4 bodies and a large murder scene, so I'm sure there is a ton of evidence to process. But that doesn't mean it is identifying evidence, and the farther along we get from the night of the crime, the less likely that there is much of that, if any.

What I don't understand is that we're going on 3 weeks and there isn't at a minimum a composite/profile of a suspect being released to the public. I suppose that means they either have someone in mind, which the prosecutor outright denied, or they are clueless, which seems more likely at this point.

My opinion.

I think a lot of the confusion around ground/first/second/third floors is due to the fact that the US calls the floor that is on ground level the 1st floor, and the one above it the second floor, while in Europe the floor at ground level is called the ground floor and the one above it the 1st floor.
*UK, not Europe. At least not most of Europe.
She asked him on two different occasions. This video has his responses from each time. The first time he responds “I haven’t heard that specific take.” Then she asks him about it on a different day, basically saying now that you’ve heard that specific take, can you tell us if that’s the case. Snell’s response is “So, I’m not gonna speculate. And I’m not going to provide that information at this time. I’m sure that will come out in due time.”
I am going to believe the MPD official written press release on 29th over speculation on vague answers on tweeted interview clips in this case. Quote from press release:
"On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person."

https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/DocumentCenter/View/24764/11-29-22-Moscow-Homicide-Update
MOO: So no fainting. Unless one of the victims fainted before getting stabbed. Imo, that does not line up.

Good morning, old timer here who rarely posts.

A couple thoughts, all of course MOO.

The car behind Ethan's jeep was his brothers. Brian E said it as they were towing. I bet they did that often i.e. driveway musical locations, he was confident blocking his brothers car in drive. Blue was Xena, RR is Kaylee, jeep is EC, dark car behind is other triplet who showed up just before 911 call. Not sure about other cars. My guess is lowest level roommates didn't have cars on campus??

The dog, dogs are unpredictable and my own dog can't be trusted to bark at appropriate times. So this can't tell anyone much.

In regards to the stalker.... Maybe it wasn't a person anyone truly "knew" and it wasn't stalking in the conventional sense. Maybe this killer "stalked" them but hadn't reached out to them, so no calls, texts, or digital evidence of such but the person was obsessed with this group and "stalked" them on their socials and randomly showed up places trying to be available to befriend them or flirt and get their attention etc. You would only be able to prove this once you had the stalkers devices, because you'd then see the frequency he viewed these housemates actions/socials?? Maybe just Kaylee tuned in that they saw this guy more than what's coincidence, so she joked she had a stalker, not knowing they all did???

Cinder blocks, can be seen 4 or 5 places in the various news videos. I'm not sure why the one guy reports there aren't any?? There's some in front near where the jeep was, then more near both discarded sofas on either side of rent house.

I hope this murderer is caught and soon, this case is heartbreaking.

Kathy

The description of the 911 call in that Twitter account (unresponsive female was one of the surviving roommates who fainted, and the passerby/friend had not seen any of the victims) makes a lot of sense.
I have this other wild theory that I wanted to throw out there and see what you all think? This is entirely speculation on my part! What if everyone was in their beds asleep and Xana heard something . She decided to call Ethan over to investigate and thats when the perpetrator attacked. Maybe that is why the investigators said they wished they had called 911 earlier? I dont know if this has been talked about but it has been in my head as another possibility? IMO

She asked him on two different occasions. This video has his responses from each time. The first time he responds “I haven’t heard that specific take.” Then she asks him about it on a different day, basically saying now that you’ve heard that specific take, can you tell us if that’s the case. Snell’s response is “So, I’m not gonna speculate. And I’m not going to provide that information at this time. I’m sure that will come out in due time.”

Which one is it Snell? If you have to speculate, that basically implies you don’t know. But then you say you’re not going to provide that information at this time, which basically implies you know that info.

I thought the idea that a roommate passed out and that’s why police were called was preposterous. I’m still not sure I believe that’s what happened, but Snell’s response sure doesn’t refute it.

I don't think the roommate's reactions, or the friends who were there and spoke to the dispatcher, has anything to do with the actual crime. Anybody, especially young people, can faint, cry, scream, run, or be unable to speak once they realize something unimaginable has happened. They were in shock.

Maybe no security but house was in a good community with close neighbors. This house almost seemed like a perfect college student house to live in. The roommates all seemed to get along and the property was maintained regularly by property management. I think the target was the guest and not the roommates. If any of the roommates were sole target, killer would have had many opps to kill target without guests and other roommates occupying house at kill time. I think a party continued informally at King house and killer was either college friend of one or more victims and was invited into home for some reason late night/early morning prior to murders. I think the house may have seemed messy to Coroner because of not yet cleaned up party cups and alcohol bottles/cans. I do think house was bloody scene and killer had to have spent time post killings to self clean prior to exiting home.
May I ask? I've just logged back on to WS. I was reading some posts about the Idaho college students. I didn't find an answer to my question.

Do you know if toxicology screens were done on the four victims? It's not something usually done in cases like this, but it seems important. If there is one perpetrator, and because of the two students asleep on the 1st floor who heard nothing, then something kept the victims from responding or moving. I heard that none of them were bound, but in medicine, there is what's called medical restraint. With the new "cocktail drug" recently in the news, which has Fentanyl mixed with Ketamine (the date rape drug), it or any other drug(s) could have been used to spike drinks in order to restrain the victims and to get out effortlessly. Medical restraining is now illegal in the U.S. and can't be used in nursing homes, etc. We, as physicians, had to be more intelligent than just giving drugs to keep someone from getting out of bed and leaving their room.

I ask this question, because if drugs like the cocktail of Fentanyl/Ketamine was used, it could be found, identified, giving investigators possible leads. For instance, law enforcement officials usually know who the drug dealers are in their areas. If a specific drug(s) was identified, they would be able to focus on the dealers and attempt to find out who purchased similar drugs on or near the campus. I realize it sounds futile to ask a dealer who might have purchased a drug, but sometimes they can cave when faced with four murdered victims.

I hope I'm not rehashing previously discussed topics, but like everyone else, the case has everyone looking for answers.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
C Kay, MD

Gentle reminder: AFAIK, there have only been ~3~ press conferences since the quadruple knife murders on 1/13/22, with the first not happening until three days later.

The answer to your question is: they have not been given the opportunity to ask because there have been shockingly few press conferences.

Perhaps a better question, and one the community would like answered, is why have there been so few press conferences given the gravity & scope of this horrific crime?

All IMHO.

King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID
I certainly understand, and am sensitive to your concerns, but what is the point in holding another press conference until LE have some major break to share, or new information that the community needs to know. They were widely panned here after the last press conference, by people asking why they bothered to have one, when they apparently had no new information, and were unwilling to answer questions specific to the investigation.

Respectfully, they are almost damned if they do, and damned if they don't. JMO

This case is getting a hell of a lot of national/international attention. It's definitely one of the top news stories on any given day, and is also probably the #1 crime story in the news now.

So, because of the intense pressure the authorities are getting to solve the case quickly - I hope they don't arrest an innocent person just because they want to close this out. You hear about wrongful convictions all of the time. Yes, the case is horrific. But, it's better that it remains unsolved than that an innocent person goes to jail for something they didn't do.

As I stated in the early days of this case, I strongly suspect that the perp. left town after the crime(s) - whether they were local, or someone not from the area. I just don't see why someone would stay in town after doing something like this, unless they want to get caught. However, as I've said before - I could be wrong here as well.

Or they could be hiding in plain sight!

I have this other wild theory that I wanted to throw out there and see what you all think? This is entirely speculation on my part! What if everyone was in their beds asleep and Xana heard something . She decided to call Ethan over to investigate and thats when the perpetrator attacked. Maybe that is why the investigators said they wished they had called 911 earlier? I dont know if this has been talked about but it has been in my head as another possibility? IMO
i have a theory where xana was still alive when perp left which is why there is talk of bruising and stuff. IMO she was one found on 2nd floor, unresponsive because she had tried to escape. not entirely too far fetched IMO

May I ask? I've just logged back on to WS. I was reading some posts about the Idaho college students. I didn't find an answer to my question.

Do you know if toxicology screens were done on the four victims? It's not something usually done in cases like this, but it seems important. If there is one perpetrator, and because of the two students asleep on the 1st floor who heard nothing, then something kept the victims from responding or moving. I heard that none of them were bound, but in medicine, there is what's called medical restraint. With the new "cocktail drug" recently in the news, which has Fentanyl mixed with Ketamine (the date rape drug), it or any other drug(s) could have been used to spike drinks in order to restrain the victims and to get out effortlessly. Medical restraining is now illegal in the U.S. and can't be used in nursing homes, etc. We, as physicians, had to be more intelligent than just giving drugs to keep someone from getting out of bed and leaving their room.

I ask this question, because if drugs like the cocktail of Fentanyl/Ketamine was used, it could be found, identified, giving investigators possible leads. For instance, law enforcement officials usually know who the drug dealers are in their areas. If a specific drug(s) was identified, they would be able to focus on the dealers and attempt to find out who purchased similar drugs on or near the campus. I realize it sounds futile to ask a dealer who might have purchased a drug, but sometimes they can cave when faced with four murdered victims.

I hope I'm not rehashing previously discussed topics, but like everyone else, the case has everyone looking for answers.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
C Kay, MD
Hm I did not know that tox was not performed routinely. To me, what’s a few more tests at this point, to get a better picture. I don’t know if my thought scenario includes identifying drug dealers, but it certainly would add to a clearer understanding of the crime.

Hm I did not know that tox was not performed routinely. To me, what’s a few more tests at this point, to get a better picture. I don’t know if my thought scenario includes identifying drug dealers, but it certainly would add to a clearer understanding of the crime.
i believe the Latah county coroner mentioned the toxicology reports were run on the students, but that it would not provide any further insight into the manner of death.

WHERE DID THE 911 CALL COME FROM?

The two surviving roommates had been out that night but were not together. Police have said both were home by about 1 a.m. on Sunday and would have been in the house at the time of the attack. They were unharmed and did not wake up until late Sunday morning, according to police. Both had bedrooms on the first floor. The victims were found on the second and third floors — two on each floor. Police would not specify which victims were where.

Police revealed that the 911 call was made from inside the house on one of the surviving roommates’ cellphones. The surviving roommates summoned friends to the house because they believed one of the victims on the second floor had passed out and was not waking up. Multiple people there talked with the 911 dispatcher before officers arrived, the Moscow Police Department said.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article269329042.html#storylink=cpy

If one of the victims was laying deceased behind their bedroom door, and a survivor tried to open door but was unable to but for an inch or two, it would be reasonable for them to think their housemate was unconscious behind the door, no wounds or blood would be visible, Imo.

Re my recent post questioning if the house was targeted purely for being a house full of girls, I'd like to add that the perpetrator possibly didn't realise just how many girls lived there. So many blondes - it would be difficult to know just how many, with them looking so alike. So maybe he didn't check out the other floor because he thought he'd already killed them all.
Way late, but I think you might be on to something here. When this all broke I really had a difficult time telling the girls except for Xana apart- I really had to work to memorize bone structure etc. to get them down and I STILL occasionally have to think a minute. The perpetrator likely wouldn't have had time or opportunity to really examine their faces and get down the differences. It's highly possible that he did a Richard Speck and simply lost count.

Gentle reminder: AFAIK, there have only been ~3~ press conferences since the quadruple knife murders on 1/13/22, with the first not happening until three days later.

The answer to your question is: they have not been given the opportunity to ask because there have been shockingly few press conferences.

Perhaps a better question, and one the community would like answered, is why have there been so few press conferences given the gravity & scope of this horrific crime?

All IMHO.

King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID
MOO, on the flipside, I've never seen a crime scene have so many press conferences and press releases in such a short period of time.
Never.

However, they are holding so much so close to the chest we aren't really getting much from the them though. We are getting more from parent interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther