ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lived in Moscow for 35 years. My husband and son are UI alums and I retired from there a few years ago. This community is grieving. The sadness is a palpable thing. There is also a lot of fear. Walking down the sidewalk I wonder if I have seen the face of a killer.

Keep up your good work here.

Sending hugs! I live in a university town about the size of Moscow. What has happened there is just horrific and I can put myself in your shoes. I love Moscow. My husband and I spent close to a week in Moscow a couple of times for “Life on Wheels,” a “university” for RVers. Our fifth wheel was packed into the Kibbie Dome parking lot with a hundred or more motor homes, trailers and fifth wheels. We went to classes all over your beautiful campus. It was a wonderful experience at your lovely university. I just hate to think of the fear and sadness you all are feeling. More hugs!

Been wondering the same. The unconscious report is odd since they were all in their beds presumably blood everywhere that seems hard to mistake. Unless it was just scanner talk.
That's one of the first things a 911 operator asks, is the person conscious, even if there is blood everywhere. They need to know whether to send an ambulance or not. The caller's first words probably weren't that somebody was unconscious and would not have entered the conversation, but was in response to a question asked most callers.

They can test mixed samples, and pull multiple profiles from it (multiple victims and offender for instance).

This is something that would be prioritized, especially considering the number of victims and ongoing threat.

I'm sure they've already uploaded reference samples for each of the victims, and are now analyzing the DNA at the scene.

I imagine that would still take some time though.
Ok thank you ! Wasn’t sure how that worked

Have been following this here and also reading various other news sites. I really wonder about the 911 call.
Wondering why the identity of the caller isn’t being shared. Not a specific name per se, but “a concerned friend “ or alert neighbor”
I initially thought the killer made the call Then saw a murkey reference to the survivors and thought they called. But no, per Chief Fry.
I don’t know what to think at this point.
I do have the impression that they will now begin to release more pertinent and coherent information.

<modsnip>
I'm thinking Maddie and Kaylee (from the food truck trip) slept in the 2-bedrooms located on the 1st floor. Those 2-rooms are on the backside of the 1st floor. IMHO Ethan and his girlfriend were on the 2nd floor residing. The other two females slept on the 3rd floor. <modsnip>
Also, to make note on the severity of being stabbed, it only takes one deep plunge into a person to immobilize them. Additionally, if the initial stabbing enters the chest, instantly the ability to yell or scream is limited if the knife enters a lung and or the depth of the knife going in can shock a person enough to stop them from fighting. However, Xana's father stated that his daughter gave an incredible fight considering what the autopsy report described, bruises and tears from the knife. So, I'm assuming the 1st floor girls were murdered first. Ethan may have heard something and got up to see what was going on, he instantly got attacked at the 2nd floor bedroom doorway and died on the floor near the door, Xana had enough time to attempt to fight back, the battle that he got from her took him out of the original plan of going up to the 3rd floor and taking everyone out. However, he may have felt that the noise from Xana's fight was going to bring the police dept there shortly or maybe a neighbor could have woken up from the noise. Therefore, I don't think he had enough time and was more afraid of getting caught from the current blood bath that he created on the first two floors thus far. IMHO

My assumption, is that the person who committed the crime, has an eyesight view of the back side of the house from a side street or some place that is inconspicuous to hiding this person's creepy behavior, possibly a peeping tom, or just straight perversion. This is not a crime of passion, it's 100% premeditated, carrying around a 6-inch knife is not the average size pocketknife that guys carry around to cut their nails, etc. This crime was planned out and it was a solo job. The assailant knew what they were doing, had an extremely sharp knife, and knew how to use it and were well aware of the vital points in the human body. It only takes one stabbing into a human body to immobilize and silence them. The only person that had a chance, was Xana and she almost succeeded, but her last fight in life possibly saved the other two girls upstairs. That is how the surviving two roommates should be viewing the luck of their survival. My gratitude in life eternally would be going to Xana's family for raising such a strong independent girl that may have redirected this sick person's original plans. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Xana's dad doesn't necessarily have knowledge of the autopsy results, he is more likely to be going of how he knows/thinks Xana would act in such a situation.
Traumatized parents + media interviews do not always equal reliable information.
He so said they were just hanging out at home when it has been reported they had been to a party. Not saying he is wrong, but we shouldn't take it as gospel that Xana had defensive wounds. Yet.

I've lurked this site for years but never joined as I didn't feel I had anything to contribute; at least not until now.

<modsnip>
IMHO several things about the lack of clear blood trail from suspect got me thinking about how this could happen.

IMO, the easiest answer could be to utilize PPE like <modsnip> in the hospitals. Pre-Covid, all the surgical PPE was back in the OR and more difficult for a random employee to take home. Post-Covid, it became more acceptable to leave surgical PPE on the hospital floor or to see someone pop into the OR to grab a suit, gown and hood before heading back out to the floor.
<modsnip>

The suspect could have used the following PPE to make for a fast and easy escape.
-Biohazard body suit (we call them bunny suits)
-Surgical gown
-Shoe covers (extend up to. the knee)
-Surgical helmet (basically a hood with built in face shield that tucks into bodysuit.
-double gloved hands in surgical gloves.
-securely tape seams where: pants of jumpsuit meet top of shoe cover, gloves meet sleeves, helmet may or may not need tape.

This can all be gotten for free from a hospital if he were to work at one. One could also buy the pieces online. A lower quality (but still effective) kit could range from $100-$300. Could even be found cheaper perhaps.

So,the perp could have come dressed in PPE, or, they could have come in normal clothes and then dressed the PPE over their "getaway" clothes. Once dressed, he goes in and commits the crimes. Blood is everywhere. He pulls PPE off, bags it up, and walks out in normal clothes without any blood on him. The PPE would also prevent his hair and skin from being found at the crime scene. He may have a bruise if someone fought back, but would likely not have any cuts, scratches, etc. so I would expect minimal DNA evidence to be found.

This is all only my opinion of course. It would require some planning to pull off. It could just as easy be a psychopath who just undressed prior to the murders then showered, got dressed and left without any blood trail.

Hopefully for the families they get their answers soon .

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone believe Greek Life had something to do with this? When I think about Kaylee, and her new car, graduating soon, ostensibly new job, etc., I can imagine a scenario where someone is extremely jealous of her. I wonder if it could be a person or persons who know her or know of her through Greek Life
I do not believe “Greek Life” or jealousy was a motive in this case because it seems as though the killer did not know the layout of the house and at least search and kill the other Greek members.

IMO, the way these murders were carried out, I truly believe the killer would have kept killing if he knew there were two more lives to take.

It reminds me more of a Rollings or Bundy Thrill-Spree killing more so than a specific target like Kaylee. And if Kaylee was the intended target, why risk having to deal with 3 other people when you only want to kill one? Also, like I stated above, if it were more personal and targeted, it would make sense the killer would have at least known about the other roommates and the house layout.

It seems to me that it was more of almost frenzied murder spree, or thrill-type murders. And I would think differently if the perp at least made an effort to seek out the other roommates.

That’s just my initial impression given the convoluted information we have to work with and conjecture regarding criminology on my part.

I think Xana's dad doesn't necessarily have knowledge of the autopsy results, he is more likely to be going of how he knows/thinks Xana would act in such a situation.
Traumatized parents + media interviews do not always equal reliable information.
He so said they were just hanging out at home when it has been reported they had been to a party. Not saying he is wrong, but we shouldn't take it as gospel that Xana had defensive wounds. Yet.
What makes you think the victims’ families wouldn’t have been told details such as this? Perhaps they aren’t told but he may have asked because he wanted to know? I don’t think he’s going to necessarily come out and lie / make up a story about something like this especially when it’s speaking about his own daughter. The coroner (you can see this back a couple of pages) also did an interview and revealed information about their stab wounds etc that were found in the autopsy. JMO

Have been following this here and also reading various other news sites. I really wonder about the 911 call.
Wondering why the identity of the caller isn’t being shared. Not a specific name per se, but “a concerned friend “ or alert neighbor”

I think you're right about that. There was something about the way the initial 911 call was made that caused doubt and confusion in the minds of the investigators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675