IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charging these guys with battery for now may be just be temporary until prosecutors can better frame the case, but I'm wondering; can prosecutors charge them with a hate crime (and thus stiffer sentence), thus forcing Jussie's hand (either confess or throw these guys under the bus), or would he have to press charges?
Right now, these guys are the key to unlocking this mystery.

By charging them with battery, it keeps them in custody, but also turns up the pressure on them to cooperate.

You have battery (or worse) on one hand, and an alternative that is a lot better (for them).

It is in their interest to talk, if this crime is not what it initially appeared to be.

Right now, these guys are the key to unlocking this mystery.
By charging them with battery, it keeps them in custody, but also turns up the pressure on them to cooperate.
You have battery (or worse) on one hand, and an alternative that is a lot better (for them).
It is in their interest to talk, if this crime is not what it initially appeared to be.
True, all of that; but as you pointed out in your earlier post, one of the brothers was already convicted of aggravated battery, and as I pointed out, he got a slap on the wrist! I'd be willing to bet they may try to tough this one out, hoping for another slap on the wrist at best. But, the evidence may be such that they can't deny it.

Serious question: Are we to believe that Jussie spent 60 seconds (which is actually a long time if you’re getting a beat down) with these two massive and strong dudes, and he got a scratch and a rope placed loosely around his neck? He single handedly fought off these huge guys? Wow.

True, all of that; but as you pointed out in your earlier post, one of the brothers was already convicted of aggravated battery, and as I pointed out, he got a slap on the wrist! I'd be willing to bet they may try to tough this one out, hoping for another slap on the wrist at best. But, the evidence may be such that they can't deny it.

But, if the Feds have enough to charge them with sending the threatening letter, then they got some serious time to look ponder.

Serious question: Are we to believe that Jussie spent 60 seconds (which is actually a long time if you’re getting a beat down) with these two massive and strong dudes, and he got a scratch and a rope placed loosely around his neck? He single handedly fought off these huge guys? Wow.

Mr. Smollett must be like Houdini or McGuyver! I want to see his next news conference to learn how he managed to escape from them, with a rope around his neck. Amazing feat of ingenuity.

At this point the only acceptable outcome is that these two men are charged with the same hate crime that has been alleged all along. Lesser charges because they’re not white in unacceptable.

Agree. I also think hate crime hoaxes should have the same sentencing guidelines as the hate crime that was faked.

At this point the only acceptable outcome is that these two men are charged with the same hate crime that has been alleged all along. Lesser charges because they’re not white in unacceptable.

Interesting. Is it a hate crime for black people to yell racial slurs at other black people? That would be a landmark case. Seriously. And the implications, far reaching, that could include music rights as well.

This is no joke, when you look at the potential outcome here. This could potentially reach the Supreme court. Especially if these two men are also homosexual.

I just tried to research this, and can't find any instances that would match those parameters.

Interesting. Is it a hate crime for black people to yell racial slurs at other black people? That would be a landmark case. Seriously. And the implications, far reaching, that could include music rights as well.

This is no joke, when you look at the potential outcome here. This could potentially reach the Supreme court. Especially if these two men are also homosexual.

I just tried to research this, and can't find any instances that would match those parameters.
Personally I think the whole premise of “hate crime” is flawed for this exact reason. If this crime happened as Mr. Smollett said it did the element of “hate” is evidenced by what was was purportedly said, not by the race of the individual who said it. To suggest otherwise is in and of itself racist.

You guys are on top of it, but lets not forget, JS said they made gay remarks too.. so regardless of race, the gay slur should still qualify it as a hate crime to hang over their head..

Not sure if this has been shared, but one of the suspects has a previous arrest involving a stabbing.
“Court records show that one was charged with attempted murder in a 2011 stabbing that occurred in the 4200 block of North Ashland. That is less than a block from the home that police raided Wednesday night, and recovered personal effects including cell phones, a source said.”

Man arrested in Smollett attack convicted in 2011 stabbing, filed for bankruptcy
They both had $120,000 in student loan debt which can't be discharged in bankruptcy. One owned stocks including a single share of BRK and he greatly falsified its value to the court. Lived in a high rent neighborhood. These guys sound like drug dealers.

JMO

You guys are on top of it, but lets not forget, JS said they made gay remarks too.. so regardless of race, the gay slur should still qualify it as a hate crime to hang over their head..

What if they’re gay?

ETA: I’m not suggesting that they are, just wondering what that would do to the hate crime issue.

One thing i've noticed, as in many cases, the police give us 1% of the info, when I posted that video of the amount of camera in that area. And the police taking it seriously, and saying they had no one fitting that description.. it dawned on me, they did have those guys on film, tracked them, and waited for them to come back.. very slick.. and I think the battery charge is just the beginning, their phone records, the inventory already released from their apartment is very damning,

But it is the same premise, can a gay male attack another gay male, and it be considered a "hate" crime. I tried to find any instances of this, and literally nothing exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01