IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

Well that is where is gets confusing a nutty!

When it first happened it was reported there was no survivors. They put out a description of the killer saying that a witness who saw him exit the store gave the description. A day or 2 later they let the public know that there was a survivor and it was she who gave the description.

I'm in the dark about someone saying they say someone leave in a red vehicle at a high rate of speed. I don't remember anything like that....

Me either. First I’ve heard about the vehicle leaving at a high speed.
I read a report earlier in the thread and I figured the person that saw him leaving was Martha because it came out before they reported her as surviving. Now I’m thinking someone may have been in the parking lot or in another store and saw him. I wish they’d say which way he drove off.

They said it was a red vehicle. I've never heard LE describe a red vehicle so I don't know where that comes from. I do remember seeing a press conference that I recently viewed online that was done like a day or two after it happened, they were standing in the Lane Bryant parking lot. A reporter asked about a red vehicle and the detective said something like "no that is not true".

Now I'm going to have go through the press conference videos online to see if I can find it...

I was always skeptical of the early news reports. Like any other case, the early reports are usually mostly speculation and second hand accounts. I remember an early report that there was an arrest, but that was unfounded. It's possible someone saw an African American male running to a car, but he could have been a random person. Like you mentioned, Martha is the only confirmed living witness, I have never heard anyone from TP police mention any other witnesses, although they have been keeping many things about this case very close to the vest, I would never rule anything out unless they specifically say it's not accurate.

As far as his manicured fingers, I think he went out of his way to disguise himself and I do not believe he really wore his hair like that nor was he so concerned with fingernail hygiene. What if everything he did with his appearance that day was a ruse to throw everyone off? Just like the delivery was a ruse.

Gunman in deadly workplace shooting should not have owned weapon, police say

They should take a look at this Aurora IL killer. Owned a .40 Cal, he kind of fits the description minus the corn rows, would be around the right age( 45 years now, 34 years at time of killings) has no trouble killing 5 people quickly, has lived in the Chicago land area for sometime ( at least 15 years as that is how long he was employed ate Henry Pratt) and has priors....Not that far of a drive to Tinley from Aurora...

I would like to see a picture of him from 10 years ago and compare to the 3D sketch. You're right, he started shooting when he was terminated and he had no problem doing so. Just like in this case when RM called 911. I think he is worth a look at.

He’s been arrested before so I doubt it’s him. My mind did go here when I first saw his photo though.

I just read about this case for the first time. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before. My first thoughts are that it's a man who hates women. Lane Bryant is specifically a women's store.

It reminds me of both Scott Beierle FL - Man Shoots 6 at Yoga Studio, Killing 2 and Then Himself, Tallahassee, 2 Nov 2018 and Thomas Bruce MO - St. Louis County - Man enters store, commits sexual assault & murder, 19 November 2018 *Arrest* Of course this perp cannot be TB or SB as the perp is black and they are both white.

I do hope violent crimes where women are targeted for being women will at some point be officially recognized as hate crimes. There are far too many. This is just yet another. :(

Thought about this again last night (trying to fall asleep). I thought about what you said flgrl017 about the him having been arrested before so you doubt its him. I know we discussed it briefly in the thread so I took a look back and found the article you posted that said they have his fingerprints and DNA and have not had a match in any data base yet.

I don't know how they can be sure it was his fingerprints. It is a retail store and there must me hundreds of finger prints in there. I know you suggested maybe there was fingerprints with gunshot residue or maybe on the shell casings. Could be true but they are so tight lipped about all of this that we just don't know for sure.

I think there is a huge possibility that they don't have his fingerprints. It would not have been strange at all for him be wearing gloves although we don't get a description from Martha saying anything about gloves. There may not be prints on the duct tape either as has he had the victims tape each other up.

As far as DNA goes, I do believe they have that, probably from under Ms.Woofolk nails as reportedly she scuffled with him. I also really believe that likely sexually assaulted one if not more of the woman.

So my point here is that I still think we should explore Gary Martin (Aurora IL killer) as a potential suspect in this. His priors are things like stalking and domestic violence and I think stabbing, all against women.

I expect a slow day of work today because of the holiday. I should have plenty of time on my hands to do some research on this guy.

Jbirner mentioned that a photo comparison would be good. I'll see if I can find a picture of him around 10 years ago or a mug shot in MSM. Maybe flgrl017 can post a side by side comparison of Gary Martin and the 3D sketch (you are good at doing the visual stuff).

I'll post what I find out about this guy later today...

I think this would a great case for this show if anyone wants to submit it:

'Cold Justice', Season 6. Here's How You Can Submit a Cold Case to the Show.
We have talk about this before, about national exposure. I have contemplated this show "Cold Justice". The only reason I have not submitted to them is that it always appears that on that show they always have someone in mind that they think committed the crime but just do not have the evidence to convict.

In this case as far as we know from what LE themselves are saying is that they don't have any suspects. They claimed that on 3 occasions they felt they had a suspect but all 3 times it has fallen apart. That doesn't mean those 3 occasions should not be revisited...

I know that Tinley LE has had the assistance of many agencies including the FBI and they also consulted with a cold case detective group who takes on high profile work. I'm not sure "Cold Justice" would take something like this on and I'm not sure local LE would be cooperative with them. I suppose it would be worth a shot though. What do you all think????

I've probably read about 30 articles about Gary Martin today. A lot of it is articles regurgitating other articles. Here are 2 articles that I found to be informative:

This one tells of his priors:
Illinois Gunman Had a History of Domestic Violence and Was 'Stressed' Before Shooting

This one is really good and gives more detail about his demeanor and violence against women:
Gary Martin, gunman in Aurora shooting, had long history of violence: Stabbing one girlfriend, threatening to kill another

So we've pondered over and over again, why did he choose Lane Bryant?

I've always felt it was because he felt he could have maximum control over his victims. I never thought it to be a botched robbery. I think that it has something to do with women. Why choose a women's plus size clothing store?

He went in armed with not only a weapon but with duct tape. He had the women bound each other in the break room. We know for sure that he fondled one of the women. He left with less than $200!

I think this Gary Martin angle is worth exploring. The Lane Bryant murders happened on Feb 2, 2008 on a Saturday morning. GM was working at Henry Pratt at that time and I assume it is a full time Monday-Friday job leaving the weekend open. The last article I posted reports he stabbed his girlfriend in Mississippi in 1994 and served time in jail. He is quite until summer of 2008 when he starts his violence with another girlfriend. Most telling is how his personality during this period is so explosive. This would be the summer of the year it happened at Lane Bryant, what was going on with him???

So he stabs a girl in 1994 and then seems to be able to control himself or stay out of trouble with the law. He starts up again in 2008 with violence against women. This tells me he is able to go for periods of time without getting in trouble.

I understand from what I've read that he did not buy the .40 Cal Smith and Wesson until 2014. But this does not mean he did not own the same caliber hand gun prior. It does show me his preference for weapons. We know the women were killed with a .40 Cal Glock or Smith and Wesson.

I also noticed from the quotes of Gary Martins prior girlfriend who was given a protection order. He was really verbally threatening. Made me think of the Lane Bryant 911 call. I wish we had some audio of this guy...

I'll continue seeing what I can come up with about this guy today...

Just to be upfront. This morning I did go to the Tinley Park Police Department hotline email for Lane Bryant murder tips and I did send them an email asking them to consider looking into Gary Martin.

Just wondering if this guy (Gary Martin) can be linked to any of the employees (at that time) of Lane Bryant. He seems to be an aggressive stalker. He relentlessly peruses his girlfriends. Seems like he was pretty violent with his girlfriend in 2008. I'm curious if this unidentified girlfriend had ties to Tinley Lane Bryant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back