IN IN - Brandie Peltz, 11, Argos, 11 December 1986

Wonder what kind of evidence they have? Colette, how old would the passerby have been in 1986? Has he always been a high school teacher? Brandie would have been in sixth or seventh grade in 1986, just wondering if the passerby was a middle school teacher in 1986. Was the entire house on fire including the bathroom? Was there water in the tub? Why would the perp put her in the bathtub and then set the house on fire?

http://www.triton.k12.in.us/hs/faculty/emenakerm.htm
The passerby has the initials ME. He still has his web page at Triton Schools. Brandie was in 5th grade. Supposedly Mother was having a few affairs with different men. Brandie had been sick for 4 days - Mother rode with "friend" (nephew of sheriff at the time) to her home to drop off pizza for Brandie. After she left Brandie rec'd a heavy breather phone call - she called her Mother. Mom didn't come home and Brandie was dead 2 hours later. From the way I understand it - different versions out there - ME (Passerby) drove by - saw smoke coming from the house - went in - let the dog out - saw Brandie in bathtub w/strangle marks around her neck - he tried to revive her but couldn't. So - he put her BACK in the tub and went to the neighbors to tell them to call the fire dept - he said he'd be back - but he left. Kind of odd to put the child back in the tub. The fire was upstairs on Mom's bed - someone put a fire log on the bed and lit it. Brandie was also molested POST MORTEM. So sad. mom and dad still live in the area. Another family now lives in the house. Some speculate ME was mad because Mom was with another Man (like he was watching her house).

The passerby has the initials ME. He still has his web page at Triton Schools. Brandie was in 5th grade. Supposedly Mother was having a few affairs with different men. Brandie had been sick for 4 days - Mother rode with "friend" (nephew of sheriff at the time) to her home to drop off pizza for Brandie. After she left Brandie rec'd a heavy breather phone call - she called her Mother. Mom didn't come home and Brandie was dead 2 hours later. From the way I understand it - different versions out there - ME (Passerby) drove by - saw smoke coming from the house - went in - let the dog out - saw Brandie in bathtub w/strangle marks around her neck - he tried to revive her but couldn't. So - he put her BACK in the tub and went to the neighbors to tell them to call the fire dept - he said he'd be back - but he left. Kind of odd to put the child back in the tub. The fire was upstairs on Mom's bed - someone put a fire log on the bed and lit it. Brandie was also molested POST MORTEM. So sad. mom and dad still live in the area. Another family now lives in the house. Some speculate ME was mad because Mom was with another Man (like he was watching her house).

Thanks for all this info, ckwood32. Is the passerby the suspect that they have never been able to charge or is that a different person?

Thanks CK ... He put her BACK in the tub?!! That's beyond bizarre, with a house on fire I think most people would have left her outside. BP's Mom was married at the time of the murders or single? ME would definitely be on a list of suspects to clear. What about the nephew of the sheriff who rode with Mom that day?

Yes the Passerby IS the suspect - they had a town meeting in January and the author of the book answered questions about why he is sure this guy is guilty. You should read all of the comments from the locals under Duffberts review of the book. 2nd post by Colette. BP's Mom was married - still is as far as I know. Supposedly the nephew left town after this happened. Rumors all around that this is a big cover up by the police. This really needs to be solved!

Yeah - put her BACK in the tub??? How could you do that???

Did the passerby have any sort of "relationship" with the mom? (And I will go back and read the comments in colette's post, thank you!) Did he maybe want to be involved with her and was rebuffed? Or could they have had a relationship and then she dumped him?

From what I understand - Mom was having an affair w/passerby and other men. some speculate he was mad she was messing around with the nephew of the sheriff. people wonder why Mom doesn't seem to care if this gets solved. Also, one of the Hulse children commented on the site I mentioned and she said to please not try to solve her Mother's death - they want to move on - put it behind them. Her Dad said the same thing. Strange.

Sleuthy - you will be reading for quite awhile - there are over 1300 comments on that site! you will learn a lot though. People were contacting AMW and Nancy Grace to see if they will cover this.

From what I understand - Mom was having an affair w/passerby and other men. some speculate he was mad she was messing around with the nephew of the sheriff. people wonder why Mom doesn't seem to care if this gets solved. Also, one of the Hulse children commented on the site I mentioned and she said to please not try to solve her Mother's death - they want to move on - put it behind them. Her Dad said the same thing. Strange.

You aren't kidding! I'm wading thru the comments right now. Aha, not at all surprised to hear rumor that mom was sleeping w/ the passerby too. And the nephew of sheriff...wow, this was a real Peyton Place, huh? I saw that comment from the Hulse children about not wanting their mom's murder caught...that is bizarre to me too.

How do they think the Hulse murder is related? What relationship, if any did passerby have with her/her family?

ckwood32-don't mean to hijack the thread but now that you have me reading these comments I am beyond intrigued. Who was the 3rd murder mentioned by one of the posters to that blog?

ETA: I must go order this book. Now.

Mom is still married and lives in the area.
Brandie was stangled with a telephone cord. I think touch DNA would be available from the cord if it was handled properly.
The "passerby" was a high school teacher before the murders, took a job I think with a grain coop at the time of the murder. Then went back to teaching after.

I'm not sure who they are referring to. I vaguely remember something about another murder but I can't remember the details. I'd have to ask my Mom. I was 17 in 1986 so I definitely remember Brandie's murder. I'll see if I can find anything out tonight when I talk to her! I don't know if they Hulse family had any connection to the passerby. I think they always thought a delivery man killed the hulse Mother. I'll have to talk to my uncle because I know he was involved in that case which I believe was in 1984.

The connection between the Hulse murder and Brandies was that a green car was seen near both crime scenes. But from what I understand the green car the day of Brandies murder was her Mom with a friend/co-worker in his car bringing pizza home for lunch for Brandie.

In a town of only 1,500 (is that right?) 2 murders in short time? Victims so different though, wouldn't seem they would be related. I think I smell a rat with the nephew ... Thanks Colette for the additional details! I agree with SMama, what a peyton place!

You are right ckwood, most people thought a delivery guy was the killer at the time because the Hulse kids said a guy came to deliver something then took their mother. Later there was talk of a green cars.

Maybe the 3rd murder they are talking about is the prom night murders - Lakeville Indiana. Jeff Pelley. google and you'll find it. I'll attach a link. It's interesting too.

I am still reading the comments and someone else cleared up that what one poster called the 3rd murder really wasn't one. It was someone named Powell and that it was a natural death.

Right Knox, 2 murders in a small town, both homes were rural at the time. Also how does an 11 year old girl get killed and everyone is silent for so long?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back