GUILTY IN - Conner Conley, 10, strangled to death, Rising Sun, 28 Nov 2009 *brother arrested*

Bring on the "oh he's just 17..." brigade. Lock him up! Haven't we seen enough of these repeat teen offenders????? I'm over it. Throw away the dam* keys!

http://www.foodspot.com/Clients/WI/...attoria/default.aspx?fs=3&fsp=196&accid=17468

"Sometimes people are just evil," Dearborn-Ohio County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard said. "This is an evil child."

You're right - this boy is clearly just not right in the head. What a very sad, sad story. Honestly, I'm shocked that he didn't kill his father too.

This sends chills down my spine.

Prosecutors said the teen told them he had to kill his brother, comparing his need to being hungry and having a hamburger placed in front of him.

Conner begged his brother to stop, prosecutors said, but they said the teen strangled him for 20 minutes and then placed a plastic bag over his head and secured it with electrical tape.

It also sounds like the incident with the knife and his dad happened after he killed his brother.

This is a hard one, guys. I've been reading but not posting--trying to get some sort of a feeling. I'm going to have to say that I think it's going to be determined that the older boy is having a psychotic break or has suffered from years of battling bipolar. He's the perfect age, good student, was decent enough to have a girlfriend (and give her a ring...no I don't want to know where he got it), and friends say this behavior has been recent. Yes, it could be hallucinogens as they can change a person forever. But I'm betting on a sudden onset mental illness.

My husband and two of our case workers just went to a seminar concerning teens and bipolar. New information is coming out about how past trauma (even birth trauma such as prematurity) can reappear in a similar way that PTSD does but as bipolar disorder.

The doctor described how kids can be loving and good students one minute and talk about death and sadness the next. Doctors aren't seeing the same pendulum swings as they do with adults--grandiosity vs. depression. It's harder to spot. We were told that some of the symptoms to watch for are trouble sleeping (huge red flag), gory thoughts or statements, hallucinations, cutting, sudden affectionate behavior and equally sudden violent behavior.

I know, so much of this sounds like typical teen developmental stuff (or even awful PMS) but the doctor said that if you watch carefully, it's the degree of it. They are trying to train doctors and teachers to spot this more readily and get kids into therapy and onto meds.

Do I have concerns about this? Yes. I hate to see young kids put on heavy duty psychotropics. I hate to see kids miss out on school and sports and down time because they are trudging to therapy. I don't like it, though, when a boy kills his baby brother because it was like satisfying a hunger. Seventeen year olds are still "magical" thinkers. That's why they get pregnant, get killed in car crashes, send naked photos to friends, get drunk and run down busy streets. They truly believe that they are invincible and they will wake up in the morning and everything will be OK. It works that way in video games and in the movies, doesn't it? This time, the 17 year old doesn't get to wake up from the horror--doesn't get to click off the TV--and go eat dinner. And either does his little brother.

My heart breaks for this family. They just lost both sons. If I were the parent, I honestly don't know which loss would cut the deepest.

This is a hard one, guys. I've been reading but not posting--trying to get some sort of a feeling. I'm going to have to say that I think it's going to be determined that the older boy is having a psychotic break or has suffered from years of battling bipolar. He's the perfect age, good student, was decent enough to have a girlfriend (and give her a ring...no I don't want to know where he got it), and friends say this behavior has been recent. Yes, it could be hallucinogens as they can change a person forever. But I'm betting on a sudden onset mental illness.

My husband and two of our case workers just went to a seminar concerning teens and bipolar. New information is coming out about how past trauma (even birth trauma such as prematurity) can reappear in a similar way that PTSD does but as bipolar disorder.

The doctor described how kids can be loving and good students one minute and talk about death and sadness the next. Doctors aren't seeing the same pendulum swings as they do with adults--grandiosity vs. depression. It's harder to spot. We were told that some of the symptoms to watch for are trouble sleeping (huge red flag), gory thoughts or statements, hallucinations, cutting, sudden affectionate behavior and equally sudden violent behavior.

I know, so much of this sounds like typical teen developmental stuff (or even awful PMS) but the doctor said that if you watch carefully, it's the degree of it. They are trying to train doctors and teachers to spot this more readily and get kids into therapy and onto meds.

Do I have concerns about this? Yes. I hate to see young kids put on heavy duty psychotropics. I hate to see kids miss out on school and sports and down time because they are trudging to therapy. I don't like it, though, when a boy kills his baby brother because it was like satisfying a hunger. Seventeen year olds are still "magical" thinkers. That's why they get pregnant, get killed in car crashes, send naked photos to friends, get drunk and run down busy streets. They truly believe that they are invincible and they will wake up in the morning and everything will be OK. It works that way in video games and in the movies, doesn't it? This time, the 17 year old doesn't get to wake up from the horror--doesn't get to click off the TV--and go eat dinner. And either does his little brother.

My heart breaks for this family. They just lost both sons. If I were the parent, I honestly don't know which loss would cut the deepest.

I really hope you aren't suggesting some therapy and we release him into society? 17 is plenty old enough to know what is happening. I just wish he was 18, then we wouldn't have this conversation. Mental problems can't be an excuse for every little thing that happens or no one would be in jail.

ITA Missizzy. Based on what we know so far, I would say he has suffered some type of mental breakdown. 17 may be too young for a schizophrenic presentation, but I believe it's something along those lines. The leaving school and being a danger to himself are huge red flags to me. I wonder if his family viewed these things that way.

Sorry for all concerned.

Although this case is horrifying, and not meaning to minimize this guy's crime, I believe he's most likely suffering from Schizophrenia. Of course I could be wrong, but he fits into the age when it first manifests itself and some of what has been revealed for his history, leads me to believe he's got a major mental problem.

It's difficult, many times, to see the signs, especially with family members. When the disease first strikes, the symptoms could be subtle. I believe his being withdrawn from school was most likely a result of bizarre behavior that no one recognized or IF they did, never dreamed it could come to something so tragic.

I knew someone a few years ago, who sent her son off to college on a full scholarship. He was an extemely brilliant young man. Months into his first year of college, she was contacted to come and take him home and for him to receive intensive treatement. She was heartbroken, of course, but he had developed Schizophrenia and needed immediate treatment. The last I heard he was responding to treatment and was due to return to school, under doctor's care and with the aid of medication.

Please understand, I'm not trying to EXCUSE what happened, but to understand it. I don't know if he should be punished IF found to be Schizophrenic, I don't know that much about it. But if any case points towards this condition, IMHO, this one does.

My heart hurts when reading so many of the most recent threads started here on WS. OhMyGoodnes, so many children, being killed for whatever BS reason, it makes you physically ill. Our children are our future and we're loosing them for, often times, UNNECESSARY reasons and SICK circumstances. So distrubing...............heartbreaking......the most vulnerable .............., I often read the pages and can't respond,................often times there's just no words.....:(

JMHO
fran

PS...........Oh, the family has my sincere condolences,...................and RIP little man...........fran

ITA Missizzy. Based on what we know so far, I would say he has suffered some type of mental breakdown. 17 may be too young for a schizophrenic presentation, but I believe it's something along those lines. The leaving school and being a danger to himself are huge red flags to me. I wonder if his family viewed these things that way.

Sorry for all concerned.

Just FWIW

http://www.psychtreatment.com/schizophrenia.htm

The first psychotic episodes generally occur in a person’s late adolescence to early adulthood. Three-quarters of the individuals with schizophrenia, develop the disease between the ages 16 and 25.

Absolutely not. I'm not even sure he should ever be in society. I am just trying to figure out what happened in this kid's brain. Maybe if we can learn something from this tragedy, another little boy won't die at the hands of his sick older brother.

I have mixed feelings about 17 being old to "know what is happening". Most definitely, if Andrew were mentally healthy, he could be trusted to do lots of things (in a few months)--vote, get married, parent, go to college, drive, carry a weapon. My point is that I think he's most likely very ill.

The late teens and early twenties are the classic ages at which bipolar and schizophrenia develop, because of the changes in the growing brain. New studies are showing that the human brain is not fully developed until well into our twenties. There's a great book on this subject, "The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids" by Barbara Strauch. Most libraries have it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Not just for parents--for everybody--as we are all impacted by teens.

Nine of my thirteen children are diagnosed with severe mental illness. It's a fascinating but frightening experience. Some brains are "fixable" and some are not. Meds and therapy can be a life-saver, a disaster, or absolutely useless. As a judge told one of my sons not long ago, "Son, you have a loving family, a great school, wonderful opportunities, and a caring juvenile justice system trying to help you. Sadly, that's not always enough. Sometimes, society just has to resort to sanctions." The judge sent him to jail.

We tried our best. We adopted him at age three and gave him all sorts of opportunities. He had excellent therapists and special educators. Yet, he still assaulted and stalked time and again. He's mentally ill. He couldn't change if he wanted to. He wouldn't even know what wanting to would feel like. He is the same boy at 19 that he was at 3 when he came to us mentally ill. His was not a sudden onset illness. He has Conduct Disorder which means that he doesn't know right from wrong and cannot control his impulses. We knew this at 3, 7, 12, and now. He's never gotten better and never will.

Andrew strikes me as a different boy. He sounds as if he had a mental break. This is just my humble opinion.

But, heck no, I don't want him to walk. I don't feel safe whenever my son is out either. Mental illness is not for the faint of heart.

Fran--Have you noticed how many times we've posted almost identical opinions concurrently?

ITA with your opinion and thank you for a great link. You might enjoy the book I recommended.

Fran--Have you noticed how many times we've posted almost identical opinions concurrently?

ITA with your opinion and thank you for a great link. You might enjoy the book I recommended.

Missizzy, I would like to let you know how glad I am that you are a member here at WS. I enjoy your posts, and all the valuable information they contain. You have LIVED it and are living it and I learn so much from you! :blowkiss:

I just thought of something I'd like to add. A dear friend of mine who is a professional in crime victims advocacy lost a beautiful young child in a similar way. She was purposefully run down by a teen driver. The boy told people the week before that he wanted to kill someone to see what it felt like. IIRC, he was from a good family, got good grades, and seemed like he was going somewhere in life. And then....a murder. A dead 10 year old on the side of the road.

I met my friend years after this death when he stepped in to help our family with victims advocacy. His vicious hatred of this teen had not paled over the years. His marriage dissolved. He turned every moment of his life toward tightening the crime laws in our state. He's the reason that our children's rapist was locked up until age 25, rather than 21.

I care for this man greatly and I empathize with the horror of losing a child. I think, though, that if he ever moves past his hatred, he would see that this young man was sick in some terrible way. It wasn't a joke. It was illness. I'm not saying that the young man should be free but I'm saying that we need to explore why these tragedies happen.

Kids need to be taught to tell adults when someone is talking crazy, or cutting, or making horrific plans. We've successfully taught them to brush their teeth, wear their seatbelts, and use a condom (most of the time). Why can't we teach them about mental illness? These are their peers. They see more than we see.

I just want everyone to wake up and pay attention to the kid next door, the guy at the next desk, and the lady in line at the grocery store. What did the Portland detective say yesterday about the public defender who was found dead?

"No tip is too small". I want everyone to remember that.

I just found an excellent and very pertinent article concerning a teen with paranoid schizophrenia and a murder. I'm not saying that I agree with every statement. I empathize with both the victim's family and the criminal's family, though. I find this to be very thought-provoking look at an increasingly common tragedy.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20060416/ai_n16458338/?tag=content;col1

"A portrait emerged of a drug-crazed teen. But as the facts slowly surfaced, so did a different picture of Eric Michael Clark - that of a decent boy who had descended into a world of delusion, the terrifying existence that is schizophrenia."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579225,00.html?test=latestnews

RISING SUN, Ind. — Ignoring his younger brother's plea of "Andrew, stop," a 17-year-old who told authorities he identified with a television serial killer strangled the boy, dragged the body to his car and drove to see his girlfriend, an Indiana prosecutor said Thursday.

Andrew Conley of Rising Sun was calm and showed no remorse or emotion as he described strangling 10-year-old Conner Conley as the two wrestled Sunday, a probable cause affidavit said. Conley told investigators he dumped his brother's body near a park in the Ohio River community about 90 miles southeast of Indianapolis.

"Sometimes people are just evil," Dearborn-Ohio County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard said. "This is an evil child."

Prosecutors filed preliminary charges of murder against Conley along with a supporting affidavit Thursday. Conley is being charged as an adult and will appear Friday in court, Negangard said.

Conley's family did not immediately return messages for comment Thursday. Negangard said Conley had an attorney but none was listed in the affidavit.

The teen told investigators he had had fantasies about killing someone since he was in eighth grade, including cutting somebody's throat, and felt "just like" the serial killer Dexter on the Showtime television series of the same name. He said killing his brother satisfied a craving like a hamburger satisfied hunger.

"Like I had to ... like when people have something like they are hungry and there is a hamburger sitting there and they knew they had to have it and I was sitting there and it just happened," Conley told investigators in the affidavit.

The slaying comes six weeks after 15-year-old Alyssa Bustamante told Missouri authorities she strangled, stabbed and cut a 9-year-old neighbor's throat because she wanted to know what it was like to kill someone.

The affidavit in Conley's case described him killing his brother before visiting his girlfriend and other friends. It said:

The two brothers were wrestling while their parents were at work. Conley put Conner in a headlock, causing the younger boy to pass out and fall to the floor. Conley dragged Conner to kitchen, put on a pair of gloves and choked the younger boy for about 20 minutes until he noticed blood flowing from Conner's nose and mouth.

He told investigators the child's last words were "Andrew, stop."

Conley put a plastic bag over his brother's head, secured it with black electrical tape, and dragged the body by its feet down steps to the basement and then from the home to his car. Conley struck Conner's head on the ground several times before putting the body in the trunk of the car.

With the body still in the trunk, Conley drove to his girlfriend's house and gave her a sweetheart ring. She told investigators Conley "seemed happy, more happy than she had seen him in a while."

Negangard said he will consider seeking the maximum prison term of life without parole. Conley's age makes him ineligible for the death penalty.

"I believe Andrew Conley is a dangerous person, and that's why we'll be considering the maximum penalty that we can impose," Negangard said.

Conley also told investigators that on the morning of Conner's death, he stood over his sleeping father with a knife and thought about killing him. Conley went to police Sunday night, admitted killing Conner and told investigators where to find the body.

The teen had no juvenile record and his teachers considered him a good student, Negangard said.

"This kid, Conner, was a good kid, and Andrew was an A and B student," he said. "This comes as a shock to the community."

Conley has been held at the Juvenile Detention Center in Lawrenceburg but was to be moved Thursday night to the Switzerland County Jail in Vevay.

I'm sick of these creeps killing to know what it feels like. How about they see what it feels like for the victims of their crimes?? :furious:

Bring on the "oh he's just 17..." brigade. Lock him up! Haven't we seen enough of these repeat teen offenders????? I'm over it. Throw away the dam* keys!

http://www.foodspot.com/Clients/WI/...attoria/default.aspx?fs=3&fsp=196&accid=17468

Oh how you torture me. I just had to click that link when I was starving with no food immediately available!

Anyhow, reading the new info on this, wow. How sick this kid is. He even looks demented. I fear teenagers these days. Is teen murder a new trend or something? What the fork is going on here?

I can't imagine what his parents must be going through right now. How terrible.

I want to start by saying I understand what everyone is saying about mental illness, schizophrenia, etc. I've dealt with a number of mentally ill children and adults. Mental illnesses can have horrible consequences. However, from what I've read, it sounds like this teen has the precursor of Anti-Social Personality Disorder. In other words, is a sociopath. The fact that he has had these thoughts since 8th grade doesn't sound like a psychotic break to me. Sociopaths become very good at mimicing the emotions and responses they see in others. Often times they will be intelligent and good students. They present a perfect facade. However, they don't experience typical emotions. Fire setting, harming/killing animals, and bedwetting are the triad for serial killers. I'd be curious to know if this teen has a history of any of those. I actually know a child who has the flat affect and tries to mimic the emotional responses of others. Also tries to be a "perfect" child and nothing is ever wrong. It's always "great". Said with vacant eyes and little facial expression. That child is still young and actually has some delays and has not yet mastered the mimicing.

It's interesting to me that when the killer is young, we (as a society in general) try to find reasons for what they did. We don't excuse it, but we want a reason other than that they are sociopathic. Sometimes there are other reasons, sometimes not. Yet when an adult appears to be sociopathic, we have no trouble believing it. The thing is, the adults didn't become that way overnight. When we look at their history, there were issues present in childhood and adolescence.

Of course, I am open to all opinions and am willing to change my mind if new facts come to light! I enjoy reading the different opinions here because they force me to think outside my own thoughts.

How horrible that per the article I read this morning, after he committed the crime he went to see the girlfriend and give her a sweetheart ring and seemed, according to her, to be happier than she had seen him in some time.

That literally makes me feel like I want to lose my lunch. Like someone just kicked me in the gut.

Lyn1001--You certainly might be right. However, we're not going to know until we hear from parents or teachers. Sociopathic behavior can start not long after birth (our 4 year old was diagnosed with Conduct Disorder--the childhood version of sociopathy).

As I said earlier, our child exhibited his disorder continuously. He was placed with us for adoption at age 3, already on heavy duty meds. There's never been a shock concerning what he's done.

I'm still unclear, though, about Andrew. We need more information to be able to know if this child was "born evil" as the prosecutor says (in other words, with Conduct Disorder) or had a sudden or rapid slide into illness.

I wonder about early traumas for this boy? I wonder if there's anything to the new information coming out about a "slow-simmering bipolar"? If we find out that pets have been hurt, people have been bullied, crimes have been committed...we'll know more...and that will point to sociopathic behavior. He can't be diagnosed with Sociopathy or Antisocial Personality Disorder until he's 18. I guess that's why these kids need thorough psych evals.

Another question. If Andrew was known to have severe behaviors, why would he be left alone with his little brother? That's another reason I think the actions (maybe not the delusions and thinking errors) were recent.

This poor grieving family needs some answers and some closure. This is really a double tragedy.

This case is so sad. Strangled his own little brother for 20 minutes??? his last words "stop it Andrew". I'm going to lose it. He should never be free again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back