GUILTY IN - Conner Conley, 10, strangled to death, Rising Sun, 28 Nov 2009 *brother arrested*

That is devastating news that Andrew's parents support him being tried as an adult. That causes me to wonder if they know more about their eldest son than the town does. I still think the whole story has not come out. This is truly a confusing tragedy.

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/article/20091206/UPDATES01/91206003

"Townspeople described Andrew on Friday as “nice,” “normal,” and “polite.” A relative of the family, Debbie Snyder, said the Conleys were a “strong” and “balanced” family.....

And school officials said the brothers were good students and had many friends. Andrew got As and Bs, was a member of the Spanish club and had no record of disciplinary problems.......

Dr. Lisa Boesky, a San Diego child psychologist and expert on teen and child behavior, said the boy’s alleged self-mutilation indicated he may have been suffering from depression or anxiety, or experiencing overwhelming emotions such as rage......

Boesky said teens who kill nearly always have deep, underlying problems and that it was unlikely the television show influenced Conley’s actions.
“It’s rarely something that happens overnight,” she said. “This is not caused by a television show or a fight with their parents. This is typically indicative of a serious disturbance. And clearly in cases like this, it indicates that something is seriously wrong.”

I don't think I'm being naive or have on rose colored glasses. There IS something seriously wrong!! But, I think there's a part of the story which is missing. I believe we're either going to find out that cats have been missing in this town for years or that Andrew got into some nasty 'shrooms which messed up his brain.

I am sorry to disagree so vocally but children just don't wake up one morning and choose to be evil. This has either been simmering for years and covered up by family and teachers or is a psychotic or drug-induced break of some sort. JMO

I do agree, however, that Andrew needs to be put somewhere safe for a long long time. This family and this town have a lot of healing to do. For whatever reason, evil did rear its ugly head.

Wonder if he was on meds for cutting and if so, what meds?

That is devastating news that Andrew's parents support him being tried as an adult. That causes me to wonder if they know more about their eldest son than the town does. I still think the whole story has not come out. This is truly a confusing tragedy.

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/article/20091206/UPDATES01/91206003

"Townspeople described Andrew on Friday as “nice,” “normal,” and “polite.” A relative of the family, Debbie Snyder, said the Conleys were a “strong” and “balanced” family.....

And school officials said the brothers were good students and had many friends. Andrew got As and Bs, was a member of the Spanish club and had no record of disciplinary problems.......

Dr. Lisa Boesky, a San Diego child psychologist and expert on teen and child behavior, said the boy’s alleged self-mutilation indicated he may have been suffering from depression or anxiety, or experiencing overwhelming emotions such as rage......

Boesky said teens who kill nearly always have deep, underlying problems and that it was unlikely the television show influenced Conley’s actions.
“It’s rarely something that happens overnight,” she said. “This is not caused by a television show or a fight with their parents. This is typically indicative of a serious disturbance. And clearly in cases like this, it indicates that something is seriously wrong.”

I don't think I'm being naive or have on rose colored glasses. There IS something seriously wrong!! But, I think there's a part of the story which is missing. I believe we're either going to find out that cats have been missing in this town for years or that Andrew got into some nasty 'shrooms which messed up his brain.

I am sorry to disagree so vocally but children just don't wake up one morning and choose to be evil. This has either been simmering for years and covered up by family and teachers or is a psychotic or drug-induced break of some sort. JMO

I do agree, however, that Andrew needs to be put somewhere safe for a long long time. This family and this town have a lot of healing to do. For whatever reason, evil did rear its ugly head.

It sounds like his parents totally believe there is no justification or reason why he senselessly murdered his little brother. It seems they too know he should be locked up most likely forever. He has broken any trust they could ever have. He was going to kill his own father too so I am sure that is also chilling for the parents to face.

Andrew needs to be sent to prison for the rest of his life, imo. There if they think any treatment is necessary then they can administer it.

I am glad that his parents aren't supporting him being tried as a juvenile where he would be dumped into society's lap at the age of 21..

Many times with these teenage killers they were very social, intelligent, well liked by the school mates and teachers and were known to have a close relationship with their parents.

But a person lets someone see only what they want them to see. Fantasies are usually kept secret or maybe in a journal of some kind. Although it may come known that some of his schoolmates had heard him talk about how it would feel to kill someone. If so, most kids dont tell what they know.

I don't think he woke up one day and thought about this and then carried it out. I think he had fantasied about it for a long time and realized that his little brother would be defenseless and easy prey for him to make his fantasies become real.

imo

This case has completely haunted my weekend. I haven't been able to read everything posted, but I have read enough to know that this kid is beyond short-term-feel-good help. He is seriously wacked, and that cannot be a new problem for him. The rest of the sotry will be very enlightening for this type of situation.

Many times with these teenage killers they were very social, intelligent, well liked by the school mates and teachers and were known to have a close relationship with their parents.

Oceanblueeyes: ITA with many of your points except the one above. I just haven't seen many cases that follow the above scenario. I've lived with a child with Conduct Disorder for 15 years. Conduct Disorder is the precursor of sociopathy, which opens the door to this type of crime. It just doesn't add up for me as kids with CD might be smart but definitely aren't social, well-liked and close to family. They can be superficially charming but they are hollow. "There's just no there there"*. I keep thinking that something is really missing here.

*Gertrude Stein

Oceanblueeyes: ITA with many of your points except the one above. I just haven't seen many cases that follow the above scenario. I've lived with a child with Conduct Disorder for 15 years. Conduct Disorder is the precursor of sociopathy, which opens the door to this type of crime. It just doesn't add up for me as kids with CD might be smart but definitely aren't social, well-liked and close to family. They can be superficially charming but they are hollow. "There's just no there there"*. I keep thinking that something is really missing here.

*Gertrude Stein

Thank goodness for now these type of youthful murderers are still rare but increasing unfortunately.

I do not know what makes them tick but imo they are a league of their own. Maybe serial killers in the making. Who really knows. But I have researched crime for over 30 years and these type of kids are out there and acted just like this kid. I find thrill killers to be some of the scariest and most dangerous. To simply murder innocents to fulfill those fantasies is beyond chilling and again thank goodness it is a rarity although it does happen.

I suppose it depends on the individual who has crossed that line into darkness. I have seen and read about youthful offenders who showed no remorse, nor emotional responses or had any regrets for their actions.

I have actually seen tv interviews with some of these teenage defendants who have been imprisoned for years for their crimes. Their demeanor stays the same even though they have had years to reflect on their horrid actions and the victims they murdered. They simply are empty shells who look human but exhibit no human emotion or conscience. I heard two of them tell the interviewer when asked do they regret killing their defenseless victims and they in a droning monotone voice (like they were bored) say they don't ever think about them and I think they are honest because they don't care enough to lie about feelings they don't have.

It is like everything. Just because one with CD does cross the line into darkness and heinously murders another many others with the same diagnosis does not. Chris Pittman was also diagnosed by two doctors as having CDs and they testified that he was a fledgling psychopath.

There have been recent cases where the crime and the demeanor of the criminal was just as bizarre as Andrew's crimes. All of them are appalling to me. I have no clue why this kid is the way he is but I do believe that they can be social, intelligent and have close friends. I think they can be chameleons and can be whatever they want you to believe they are. They can be very charismatic if it behooves them. They are masters at mimicking normalcy.

Scott Dyleski also was much like Andrew. He was smart and well liked, soft spoken and had friends and a girlfriend. He too fantasized about wanting to kill someone and did so by bludgeoning his neighbor 39 times, Pam Vitale, to death. There was no other reason to murder this woman except to fulfill his fantasy for he didn't even know her except he knew she would be alone and vulnerable when he came to her place. It was strange in his trial day after day he sat there emotionless but the day that the horrible autopsy photos were shown he showed a lot of interest and gazed at them intently. Creepy!

So while this crime is shocking there are others who have killed for the thrill of killing or just killed and felt no regret for doing so....not just Andrew and to me they are some of the most dangerous murderers in our society.

imo

The parents may be supporting him being tried as an adult for another reason. There may be more of an opportunity for psychiatric help in the adult penal system than there is in the juvenile system.

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...urder-Enters-Plea/cPGf0lncB0qGdRHl0O-PIg.cspx

The last paragraph in this article says:

Andrew, who attends Rising Sun High School, was originally charged with "Battery Causing Serious Bodily Injury". He was taken out of school two weeks ago for "self-destructive behavior" and reportedly cutting himself. It's not clear whether Andrew's parents sought professional help for the boy, who told detectives he's been fantasizing about killing someone since the eighth grade.

BBM

He had dreamed of killing someone for four years, and his questionable behavior just manifested itself two weeks ago?

Is it possible for those who had close contact with him to have no idea that he had a problem?

http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...urder-Enters-Plea/cPGf0lncB0qGdRHl0O-PIg.cspx

The last paragraph in this article says:

Andrew, who attends Rising Sun High School, was originally charged with "Battery Causing Serious Bodily Injury". He was taken out of school two weeks ago for "self-destructive behavior" and reportedly cutting himself. It's not clear whether Andrew's parents sought professional help for the boy, who told detectives he's been fantasizing about killing someone since the eighth grade.

BBM

He had dreamed of killing someone for four years, and his questionable behavior just manifested itself two weeks ago?

Is it possible for those who had close contact with him to have no idea that he had a problem?

I want to know that answer, too and I have many more questions.

I wish a local would find their way here. This case is haunting me.

The parents knew of the fantasy??

I guess I'll hold my tongue until we know more. I agree with Lovejac, though, this case is haunting.

Oh my.

I am not blaming the parents but I honestly believe that people do not go from well adjusted, good students, polite teens to sadistic murderers in the span of a couple of weeks. Whether they saw it or not, or whether they were in denial, or hoped it would go away there had to be warning signs that something was seriously wrong. Helping parents identify real warning signs that are not a normal phase is the only positive that can come from a situation like this.

And I do not think turning himself in is a sign of remorse at all.
The parents supporting the charge is appropriate and may involve a good measure of self preservation.
Would you fight to bring him home?

Not being a parent I can only guess at how I would respond but it would seem to me if this was a sudden unexpected break from reality you would still be there for your living son while grieving for the deceased. It seems to me at least one of them would be screaming that this can't be true, that something must have happened. Complete withdrawl from the situation, "wanting nothing to do with him", seems to be to say a long emotional trek leading to some level of detachment to the eldest son.

PS- I don't think he should ever be out of prison. There is no type of treatment or meds that would convince me he was safe among the vulnerable. Tragic, but reality.

The parents knew of the fantasy??

I guess I'll hold my tongue until we know more. I agree with Lovejac, though, this case is haunting.

Oh my.

I didn't see anywhere about the parents knew about his fantasies. This is the story he told police.

I highly doubt he discussed it with them. I think they would have gotten him help and also engaged protections in their home from him since he told police he stood over his father while he was sleeping and was going to kill him but changed his mind. If they had been aware of his fanatasy to kill then imo they would have installed locks on the bedroom doors and used them.

Sounds to me they were very unaware of what was in their son's mind. Imo, they saw only what he wanted them to see. He sure wouldn't want them to know about his evil thoughts preventing him from fulfilling his fantasy.

I don't think there will be any more red flags than a normal 17 year old teen who can have highs and lows on any given day. The truth is no matter how a kid may act we really never know what they are thinking.

I think he turned himself in because he wanted to take credit for this murder.

imo

I didn't see anywhere about the parents knew about his fantasies. This is the story he told police.

I highly doubt he discussed it with them. I think they would have gotten him help and also engaged protections in their home from him since he told police he stood over his father while he was sleeping and was going to kill him but changed his mind. If they had been aware of his fanatasy to kill then imo they would have installed locks on the bedroom doors and used them.

Sounds to me they were very unaware of what was in their son's mind. Imo, they saw only what he wanted them to see. He sure wouldn't want them to know about his evil thoughts preventing him from fulfilling his fantasy.

I don't think there will be any more red flags than a normal 17 year old teen who can have highs and lows on any given day. The truth is no matter how a kid may act we really never know what they are thinking.

I think he turned himself in because he wanted to take credit for this murder.

imo

If I found out my son was cutting himself, it wouldn't occur to me that he might hurt anyone other than himself. BUT, that would have been my thinking BEFORE I became a member here.

I check for more info several times a day, I cannot get this case out of my head.

this article has additional details.

http://www.examiner.com/x-30774-Hig...onley-felt-like-fictional-TV-character-Dexter

Andrew then allegedly wrapped his little brother's (still attached) head in a plastic bag and sealed it with electrical tape. He claimed he did so to prevent any blood seepage. He then tossed Conner's body into the trunk of his car and drove to his girlfriend's home.

While there, the young couple watched the movie "The Green Mile," based on a story by Stephen King about a man on death row accused of murdering a child. Conley's girlfriend stated that he gave her a "sweetheart ring" and that "he was happy. More happy than he'd been in a while."

another snip

Later that day, Andrew knew the jig was up. His parents told him to pick up his brother from his grandmother's home. That's when he told them what he had done. He also told two friends about the murder. Police were contacted, the body of Conner Conley was discovered, and Andrew Conley was arrested for murder.

According to that Examiner article, Conner was killed on one day and the incident with the father happened the next morning.

Sounds like he liked it so much the first time that he was ready to do it again the very next day. Personally, I'm glad he's behind bars.:furious:

In regards to many of the mental illness cases, has any one else (besides me) felt ill? Maybe had the flu or a cold starting or had a headache? Did you ever argue, snap at or hurt someone's feelings because you were feeling ill and irritable? Afterwards you felt bad, maybe felt that it was because of the illness? This is a simplistic example but the closest I can think of to illustrate the way I see it.

To me that happens with many mental illnesses. They are feeling bad, they snap..... but instead of an argument, they killed. While still ill they may not regret it, that is part of the illness. But if they are able to be successfully treated, they very probably will be horrified after they get somewhat better. If they receive treatment, they can become productive again, and more like a normal person. One who takes medication.

To deny a person the opportunity just because of an illness because they might go off their meds is like saying we should lock up everyone with aids, because they might infect someone else. Drivers with repeated speeding tickets should be locked up, because they might get into an accident and kill someone.

I'm not saying that they should get off without any punishjment. They need to be in a highly structured environment and a somewhat punitive environment. Either a state hospital or a prison. But with a prison they get out when their time is served. With a hospital, they don't get out until the docs feel that they can remain stable on meds, and will take them. Also the post release monitoring for them is better.

For an older person yeah. It may be too late to rehab them. But for a younger person, I just can't see warehousing them then releasing with little monitoring after a preset period of time.

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetra...g-His-Brother-Pleads-Not-Guilty-78573492.html

Jerry Monk said, “That ain’t him. It’s nothing like him. You can’t give up one child because another one is gone, you have to support both of them.”

Monk told WHAS11 that he felt that it was important for him to be in the courtroom today to support Andrew, especially because he said Andrew’s parents have given up on him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back