Judges double Oscar Pistorius' sentence to 13 years, 5 months - 24. Nov. 2017

I wonder if he finally feels remorse. It seems like his focus all these years has been on getting released from prison, not much time left to contemplate his murdering the woman who loved him.

Cold, stone-hearted man.
JMO
Absolutely. There has never been the slightest hint of remorse, just infinite levels of arrogance and self-pity. Vile individual.

Updated 10:40 AM PST, November 24, 2023

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) — Double-amputee Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius was granted parole on Friday, more than a decade after shooting his girlfriend through a toilet door at his home in South Africa in a killing that jolted the world.

He will be released from prison on Jan. 5, but will be constantly monitored by parole officials for five years until his sentence expires, the Department of Corrections said.

[...]

Pistorius won’t be allowed to leave the area of Pretoria where he is set to live without permission from authorities. He will also attend a program to deal with anger issues and another program on violence against women. He will have to perform community service.

[..]

“Parole does not mean the end of the sentence. It is still part of the sentence. It only means the inmate will complete the sentence outside a correctional facility,” Nxumalo said. “What will happen is that Mr. Pistorius will be allocated a monitoring official. This official will work with him until his sentence expires.”

[..]

Pistorius won’t wear a monitoring bracelet as that is not part of South African parole procedure, Nxumalo said. Pistorius’ sentence will expire on Dec. 5, 2029.

The decision to grant parole was made at a hearing at the prison earlier Friday.

I've long wondered how much of OP's anger issues during his 20's can be attributed to "roid rage." Perhaps his good behavior in prison is due in part to being devoid of substance abuse. I trust he is prohibited from ever owning a firearm. If not, why not?!

Pistorius will also have to attend therapy sessions, according to the Steenkamp family's spokesman.

In a letter read out to the parole board during Friday's hearing, Ms Steenkamp's mother said she did not oppose his release but wondered whether Pistorius's "huge anger issues" were truly dealt with in prison. She added that she would be "concerned for the safety of any woman" who now comes into contact with him.

I've long wondered how much of OP's anger issues during his 20's can be attributed to "roid rage." Perhaps his good behavior in prison is due in part to being devoid of substance abuse. I trust he is prohibited from ever owning a firearm. If not, why not?!

Pistorius will also have to attend therapy sessions, according to the Steenkamp family's spokesman.

In a letter read out to the parole board during Friday's hearing, Ms Steenkamp's mother said she did not oppose his release but wondered whether Pistorius's "huge anger issues" were truly dealt with in prison. She added that she would be "concerned for the safety of any woman" who now comes into contact with him.

II wondered about roid rage as well and do remember some controversy over a 'herbal supplement' found in his room that I don't believe was ever tested.

I never felt that the investigation was as comprehensive as I would have liked and the trial left me with more questions than answers.

Finally made it out , haven't you Mr P.
But....freedom comes with a greater degree of responsibility.
Let's see what you do with it .
Not out until January 5, 2024.

IMO, he's probably in more danger for the next 5 weeks than ever before -- i.e., such as another inmate wanting notoriety before his chance is gone.

II wondered about roid rage as well and do remember some controversy over a 'herbal supplement' found in his room that I don't believe was ever tested.

I never felt that the investigation was as comprehensive as I would have liked and the trial left me with more questions than answers.
Reeva and OP were only together for 3 months. She was brilliant and beautiful and she could have easily confronted him about something like steroid use on that horrific night.

"I'm scared of u sometimes and how u snap at me and of how u will react to me," Reeva Steenkamp texted Pistorius, in a message read out in court by police Capt. Francois Moller.... The data on Steenkamp's phone would print to more than 35,000 pages, said Moller. Of the fraction of exchanges between the couple, he said that about 90 percent were what he called normal and "loving" exchanges.

Reeva and OP were only together for 3 months. She was brilliant and beautiful and she could have easily confronted him about something like steroid use on that horrific night.

"I'm scared of u sometimes and how u snap at me and of how u will react to me," Reeva Steenkamp texted Pistorius, in a message read out in court by police Capt. Francois Moller.... The data on Steenkamp's phone would print to more than 35,000 pages, said Moller. Of the fraction of exchanges between the couple, he said that about 90 percent were what he called normal and "loving" exchanges.

I do remember that from the trial and 3 months seemed like a very short time to be having 10% exchanges that aren't normal and loving.

I also remember two other incidents that Pistorius had prior to the murder and believe if he wasn't a wealthy athlete/celebrity, the consequences would have left him without the firearm used to kill Reeva.

OP has been granted parole and will be released from prison on 5 January, having served eight and a half years in prison. Well, he always thought he was “special”, and only serving such a short time means he’s getting away with murder, to coin a phrase, IMO as murder carries a minimum sentence of 15 years to life. Further, how he ended up being transferred from Kgosi Mampuru prison to Atteridge is beyond me as it was set up to deal with the needs of disabled inmates and supposedly only houses offenders sentenced “from 0 to 6 years” according to the Department of Correctional Services at the time.

No doubt a media scrum similar to the one which ensued outside the High Court a decade ago will accompany his release. Demand for the first post-prison photograph of him will be exceptionally high as media interest hasn’t waned. Major international media outlets had, in some cases, prominently published the news before South African news sites had even gotten around to it.

June said, “I do not believe Oscar’s version that he thought the person in the toilet was a burglar. In fact, I do not know anybody who does. My dearest child screamed for her life; loud enough for the neighbours to hear her. I do not know what gave rise to his choice to shoot through a closed door four times at somebody with hollow-point ammunition when, I believe, he knew it was Reeva.” When her husband Barry died last September, she wrote that she was convinced that part of the cause was a “broken heart” following Reeva’s murder. Her Victim Impact Statement is in the article.

There will inevitably now be frenzied speculation about what he’ll do upon his release. Will he write a book, devote the rest of his life to working with disabled children as a way to publicly atone or will he flee the media spotlight to his wealthy Uncle Arnold’s farm in Mozambique, as the family indicated was their intention for him a decade ago?

OP to be released on 5 January

8 1/2 years in prison for murder...it's outrageous, especially for an arrogant entitled creep who has never shown a bit of remorse.
May he never ever be afforded one minute of peace or contentment in his miserable future.

8 1/2 years in prison for murder...it's outrageous, especially for an arrogant entitled creep who has never shown a bit of remorse.
May he never ever be afforded one minute of peace or contentment in his miserable future.

Yes, it is outrageous but it's also SA law being applied here and not some random release of a prisoner. Perhaps the crime rate is so high because so many murderers are released from prison after serving 50% of their sentence. And if they weren't released, there would be no room in prison for the incoming convicts!

"Oscar Pistorius will be banned from drinking alcohol or speaking to the media when he is released on parole this week."

Steenkamp's mother, June Steenkamp, said in a statement earlier Friday that she had accepted Pistorius' parole as part of South African law.
“Has there been justice for Reeva? Has Oscar served enough time? There can never be justice if your loved one is never coming back, and no amount of time served will bring Reeva back," June Steenkamp said. "We who remain behind are the ones serving a life sentence.”
“With the release of Oscar Pistorius on parole, my only desire is that I will be allowed to live my last years in peace with my focus remaining on the Reeva Rebecca Steenkamp Foundation, to continue Reeva’s legacy.”
The Department of Corrections has emphasized that the multiple Paralympic champion's release — like every other offender on parole — does not mean that he has served his time.
Some of Pistorius’ parole conditions include restrictions on when he’s allowed to leave his home, a ban on consuming alcohol, and orders that he must attend programs on anger management and on violence against women. He will have to perform community service.

'( I would not be too happy if I was in the community he was doing his service in )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back