Judges double Oscar Pistorius' sentence to 13 years, 5 months - 24. Nov. 2017

Just spotted this quote at the end of the article in The Mirror

"He has severe depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. He has become isolated and fearful of venturing out in public."

Lucky for him that wont be a problem then for a while! :jail:

I haven't really posted since the Oscar Pistorius trial.

However, I am back to say that I am so glad that justice has finally been achieved.

Oscar Pistorius murdered Reeva in cold blood and deserved the minimum of 15 years.

Masipa really should never get a case of this nature ever again. Terrible judge.

What is his current imprisonment status? I'm under the impression he's under house arrest these days - has been for quite some time.Or am I mistaken? Will he be returned to actual prison for this sentence?

Edited to add - I followed the OP threads here at WS but mostly lurked. For the original trial I wasnt a WS member yet. I was a member by the time of the 2015 appeal and posted a little on the threads then. Wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed on the threads.

still got off lightly. with good behavior he may serve half that I'm guessing

Yep. Oh well, at the very least he'll sit in prison for another 6 years or so - for reals this time.

Pistorius must serve at least half of the 13 years and five months — nearly seven years — before he can be considered for parole. He has served a year and five months of his murder sentence.
Friday's Supreme Court decision also has possible consequences for where he is held for the remainder of his sentence. Pistorius was moved from the high security Kgosi Mampuru II Prison in central Pretoria to Atteridgeville, which houses prisoners sentenced to six years or less. Pistorius might now be moved back to a higher security facility.
Pistorius' lawyers have just one avenue open to them if they want to challenge the new sentence handed down by the Supreme Court, and that is to appeal to the Constitutional Court, the highest court in South Africa.

Pistorius failed with an appeal to the Constitutional Court last year to challenge his murder conviction.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...n-sentence-increased-13-years-months-51357050

I wonder if he'll appeal to the Constitutional Court? He sure doesn't appeal to me... :behindbar

I'm not sure which prison he is in, but his house arrest was revoked when he was re-sentenced to 6 years in the summer (June?) of 2016

Since November 2016 he has been at Atteridgeville Correctional Centre according to this article:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/oscar-pistorius-transferred-to-different-prison-20161114
"The centre is used to accommodate offenders sentenced from 0 to 6 years and has rehabilitation and development programmes in place for all offenders in its care."

How convenient for him that Masipa sentenced him to 6 years. I already read (either on twitter or in some news articles) that they are speculating that he will need to return to a proper prison.

So happy to hear about the sentence increase!

Really disgusted by this statement, though:

Pistorius's brother Carl said on social media that he was "shattered. Heartbroken. Gutted" at the decision.
"We have all suffered incomprehensible loss. The death of Reeva was and still is a great loss for our family too," he wrote.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-42107701

This is wonderful news!
There is Justice in South Africa - after Masipa's version.

Well considered courageous Nel and legal team: to appeal Masipa's sentence for Pistorius.Thank you from the rest of the world who have been following this trial.
:takeabow:

Thank you Judges of The Supreme Court of South Africa for justice finally delivered.
:clap::clap:

Well, thank heavens for that. I hope the years pass v-e-r-y slowly for the cowardly lying murdering bully.

Just a shame they didn't reverse the verdict on the ammo possession. That is a precedent that needs to be knocked down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back