Katherine Calloway

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ya, but she was talking about KC, who is the topic of the thread.

the essence of my post was not about who got in the car, it was clearly about a time in history when we all got into strangers cars and got a lift somwhere, We called it hitch hiking.
Yes you are right, KC is the topic and I did refer to her in my post.

BBM
There was a time when we can hitch hike cross country and not worry about an abduction.
The Hippie Generation traveled this way from one end of the US to the other.
I too used to hitch hick back then, those were very different times....(snip)

Then again, it may be that many people were molested and killed while hitchhiking, but it wasn't as widely reported. We are so interconnected now, our perceptions have changed. We report crimes that in older times were shrugged off. We search databases from across the country, instead of just knowing what our local paper said.
My family lived in a bad part of town. In the 60's, there were drugs, gangs, rapes, murders, beatings, etc but they rarely were reported. If a young girl got into a car with a stranger and ended up molested or dead, well, 'she deserved it'. That was the tone of the times, it wasn't taken as seriously. If a hippy girl ended up in a bad situation, she may never speak of it.

My own feeling is that we lost our innocence, but our innocence was always an artificial construct of society. In fact, I would suggest that because we prosecute them more diligently, that there are FEWER crimes as a percentage of population than there were in the 60's, if you could really compare apples to apples.

But keeping our loved ones safely in sight, that is always a good idea.:grouphug:

Then again, it may be that many people were molested and killed while hitchhiking, but it wasn't as widely reported. We are so interconnected now, our perceptions have changed. We report crimes that in older times were shrugged off. We search databases from across the country, instead of just knowing what our local paper said.
My family lived in a bad part of town. In the 60's, there were drugs, gangs, rapes, murders, beatings, etc but they rarely were reported. If a young girl got into a car with a stranger and ended up molested or dead, well, 'she deserved it'. That was the tone of the times, it wasn't taken as seriously. If a hippie girl ended up in a bad situation, she may never speak of it.

My own feeling is that we lost our innocence, but our innocence was always an artificial construct of society. In fact, I would suggest that because we prosecute them more diligently, that there are FEWER crimes as a percentage of population than there were in the 60's, if you could really compare apples to apples.

But keeping our loved ones safely in sight, that is always a good idea.:grouphug:

Hi Joanie, while it is true that we now have more access to information, and more safety laws.
I can not say that we live in a safer time. :(
YES we have more awareness today, while that is great. We also do live in a new era.
Less Safe then when I and my friends ran around, thumb out and on the go.

I remember that when I had my kids; they used to go out to play and I did not worry about it at all.
They came in at dinner time; today I take the kids to controlled environments, and never send them
out side without me or an adult,
I NEVER even let them in the elevator without a grown up. (I live in a big city)

This Hippie girl used to hitch hike, I never got in any trouble, nor did anyone I ever knew.
I Hitch Hiked in NY, FLA, LA, LV, COLO, AZ.....and OVERSEAS too.... :)

Today the concept of hitch hiking, one would have to be nuts to consider it.
But I am in my 60's not sure how old you are. Maybe you are much younger....
IMO Times were very different. MUCH SAFER. Not one of us ever got into any problems.

With a life time in jail at our Tax money, I have no idea why they are helping this SOB get cured of melinoma, while there are hard working poor people who are left to fend for themselves if they can? :furious: :furious: :furious:

dont forget if jaycee or the girls had gotten cancer, he would have let them die since he couldnt take them to a hospital. *advertiser censored*.

I think there was some confusion about the topic. We were talking about the girl in ANtioch that got into PG's car at the library.

think the fact that he got away with that rape because of the factors around it enboldended him to continue......hence why he tried to claim to the cops that katherine was his "girlfriend"

Hi Joanie, while it is true that we now have more access to information, and more safety laws.
I can not say that we live in a safer time. :(
YES we have more awareness today, while that is great. We also do live in a new era.
Less Safe then when I and my friends ran around, thumb out and on the go.

I remember that when I had my kids; they used to go out to play and I did not worry about it at all.
They came in at dinner time; today I take the kids to controlled environments, and never send them
out side without me or an adult,
I NEVER even let them in the elevator without a grown up. (I live in a big city)

This Hippie girl used to hitch hike, I never got in any trouble, nor did anyone I ever knew.
I Hitch Hiked in NY, FLA, LA, LV, COLO, AZ.....and OVERSEAS too.... :)

Today the concept of hitch hiking, one would have to be nuts to consider it.
But I am in my 60's not sure how old you are. Maybe you are much younger....
IMO Times were very different. MUCH SAFER. Not one of us ever got into any problems.

I'm from that era also. Though I wasn't a "hitcher", I had plenty of friends who hitch-hiked all over the place, and we did pick up a a few hitch-hikers in the 60's & 70's here and there (get this, most likely when we were camping in places like South Lake Tahoe or Strawberry Lake). I grew up in Hayward, we didn't even lock our doors during the day in the 50's and early 60's, unless we were going away for quite awhile; sometimes we didn't even lock them at night....but then, somewhere along the way, it all changed. Were we all just "lucky"? Is it simply a matter of more population equals more "problem people". Is it paranoia because we HEAR more about these events? I don't know, but it all seems very different to me now, doors are locked, even when driving a car. That would have been unheard of back then. Bad things WERE happening back then, (e.g., PG 1972), but maybe it's true that we just weren't made aware of it, or were still so naive from the 60's that we just KNEW it would never happen to us. I don't know. It's sad though when I think about all the kids who will NEVER know what it's like to be able to walk to school, or hang out after school and play outside til dark like we all did. (And after dark, for that matter.) I wonder how much it has to do with people not being home and not knowing one another. I mean, when I was growing up, most mother's were at home...there was always someone's house you could run to....everyone KNEW everyone...we were "neighbors" not just the people that lived next door. Sad, but I don't think that "neighborhood security" is ever coming back.

I'm from that era also. Though I wasn't a "hitcher", I had plenty of friends who hitch-hiked all over the place, and we did pick up a a few hitch-hikers in the 60's & 70's here and there (get this, most likely when we were camping in places like South Lake Tahoe or Strawberry Lake). I grew up in Hayward, we didn't even lock our doors during the day in the 50's and early 60's, unless we were going away for quite awhile; sometimes we didn't even lock them at night....but then, somewhere along the way, it all changed. Were we all just "lucky"? Is it simply a matter of more population equals more "problem people". Is it paranoia because we HEAR more about these events? I don't know, but it all seems very different to me now, doors are locked, even when driving a car. That would have been unheard of back then. Bad things WERE happening back then, (e.g., PG 1972), but maybe it's true that we just weren't made aware of it, or were still so naive from the 60's that we just KNEW it would never happen to us. I don't know. It's sad though when I think about all the kids who will NEVER know what it's like to be able to walk to school, or hang out after school and play outside til dark like we all did. (And after dark, for that matter.) I wonder how much it has to do with people not being home and not knowing one another. I mean, when I was growing up, most mother's were at home...there was always someone's house you could run to....everyone KNEW everyone...we were "neighbors" not just the people that lived next door. Sad, but I don't think that "neighborhood security" is ever coming back.

maybe its just a wway we loo at diffrent eras. crime in the "wild west" in the late 19th century had higher murder rates then modern day new york or los angeles.

She also got into the car and used drugs willingly. Not judging here at all, but maybe even if she wanted to press charges, the DA is the one who refused ultimately?
No, according to her story, Garrido approached her for a ride, and got into her car. He also plied her with drugs.

Songline, I'm a little younger than you are, but not much. :crazy: But I grew up in Los Angeles, in a tough area. Our perceptions are so different! My brother and I weren't able to play in our own front yard (1961-74) A bullet lodged itself into the wall of my grandmother's bedroom, just above the bed where she was sleeping. There were always gang fights. I would no more have gotten into a car with someone....! In fact, you didn't look people in the eye. Interestingly enough, that part of town has gentrified and is now safer than it was. Crime moves on.
Here's what Wikipedia says about the crime rate:
"The crime rate is measured by the number of offenses being reported per 100,000 people. While the crime rate had risen sharply in the late 1960s and early 1970s, bringing it to a constant all-time high during much of the 1970s and 1980s, it has drastically declined ever since 1991. One hypothesis suggests there is a causal link between legalized abortion and the drop in crime during the 1990s.[3] In 2004 America's crime rate was roughly the same as in 1970, with the homicide rate being at its lowest level since 1965. Overall, the national crime rate was 4982 crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 4852 crimes per 100,000 residents thirty years earlier in 1974 (-17.6%).[4]"

I really do think that we are more aware of crime than we used to be. Gosh, looking back at all of the abducted children from the 60's and 70's, especially the ones that are still unsolved... and the rise in the drug culture probably didn't help either!

And it's a darned good thing that we are so aware. If we weren't as careful, we wouldn't have Amber Alerts, police forces looking for children quickly, databases and forums like this one!

Back to the topic....

I don't think that things are more dangerous now, mostly people are just more paranoid. The ready and immediate access to news, as well as the tabloid style of modern reporting, make people more scared. It ends up becoming a sort of arms race, where people take measures to make themselves "safer", but bad things still happen, so they take more and more measures. Plus you get third parties getting involved, being critical that you are "not doing enough". Taken to extremes it can make your life worse than it otherwise would have been.

Songline, I'm a little younger than you are, but not much. :crazy: But I grew up in Los Angeles, in a tough area. Our perceptions are so different! My brother and I weren't able to play in our own front yard (1961-74) A bullet lodged itself into the wall of my grandmother's bedroom, just above the bed where she was sleeping. There were always gang fights. I would no more have gotten into a car with someone....! In fact, you didn't look people in the eye. Interestingly enough, that part of town has gentrified and is now safer than it was. Crime moves on.
Here's what Wikipedia says about the crime rate:
"The crime rate is measured by the number of offenses being reported per 100,000 people. While the crime rate had risen sharply in the late 1960s and early 1970s, bringing it to a constant all-time high during much of the 1970s and 1980s, it has drastically declined ever since 1991. One hypothesis suggests there is a causal link between legalized abortion and the drop in crime during the 1990s.[3] In 2004 America's crime rate was roughly the same as in 1970, with the homicide rate being at its lowest level since 1965. Overall, the national crime rate was 4982 crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 4852 crimes per 100,000 residents thirty years earlier in 1974 (-17.6%).[4]"

I really do think that we are more aware of crime than we used to be. Gosh, looking back at all of the abducted children from the 60's and 70's, especially the ones that are still unsolved... and the rise in the drug culture probably didn't help either!

And it's a darned good thing that we are so aware. If we weren't as careful, we wouldn't have Amber Alerts, police forces looking for children quickly, databases and forums like this one!

Back to the topic....

Wow Joanie it is as if we both grew up in another world and yet we are both of the same country.

Yes the world is far more conscious and aware today. Thank God.

I am so grateful to have grown up in a time when innocence was a given, and also Lucky that wherever we went, we was safe.
The first times I remember a nut on the loose was the son of Sam, Maybe it was the Sharon Tate murderers, and we did not hitchhike at that time, we all stayed home till we felt safe again. I think I did this throughout the 1970's and I stopped about 1980.

Those were the "Good ol days" :)

How do you know she took the drugs willingly? Wasn't she 14 or 15 and perhaps unaware of what she was doing? I was just a few years older than her and lived a block away from where she got into his car. I don't remember ever seeing drugs until I left the area years later. She may not have been responsible (old) enough to know what she was doing but he sure did!

As I said, I was not judging her. I was referring to the DA who may have refused to prosecute the case due to the fact that she willingly got in to the car and she had drugs in her system. Do I think that is right? Of course not. Just throwing out a reason why she may not have pressed charges.

No, according to her story, Garrido approached her for a ride, and got into her car. He also plied her with drugs.

This was in regards to the case in Antioch, where the two teenage girls got into the car being driven by pg.

As I said, I was not judging her. I was referring to the DA who may have refused to prosecute the case due to the fact that she willingly got in to the car and she had drugs in her system. Do I think that is right? Of course not. Just throwing out a reason why she may not have pressed charges.

This was in regards to the case in Antioch, where the two teenage girls got into the car being driven by pg.

dont get why the case was dropped, did she refuse to testify cause she was scared of what the defense attorney would use on the stand? or did the prosecution think that a 14 year old girl getting in a car with a 21 year old was "asking for it' :banghead::banghead::banghead:

dont get why the case was dropped, did she refuse to testify cause she was scared of what the defense attorney would use on the stand? or did the prosecution think that a 14 year old girl getting in a car with a 21 year old was "asking for it' :banghead::banghead::banghead:

No one knows why, but she refused to testify against pg. Could have had to do with her parents, the DA or could have even been death threats made by pg against her, her parents or friends. There is no way to know without her coming forward and saying why. It was a different attitude at that time in society. Not one for the better for sure!

No one knows why, but she refused to testify against pg. Could have had to do with her parents, the DA or could have even been death threats made by pg against her, her parents or friends. There is no way to know without her coming forward and saying why. It was a different attitude at that time in society. Not one for the better for sure!

well she 'refused to tesitfy" so all those are possibilties.
its also a possibility the prosecution told her 1) she would probably not be believed or 2) they couldnt win the case either way

In the arrest report KC stated that she could hear music, a band practicing. pg may have rented the storage unit under the guise of using it to practice with his band (as he told his first wife, and may have actually practiced there), but obviously we know now, he used it for much more evil purposes than that. Also, I wonder if there were any other rape victims that had been brought there, raped, threatened and released. I find it hard to believe that KC would have been his only victim with all of the elaborate staging within the storage unit. Ick!!
Especially due to the fact that he had tried to kidnap a woman an hour before KC. That is very brazen, to pick another victim that same night, and could possibly been fueled by previous "successes".

thats another thing.
how come no charges for that attempted kidnapping?

thats another thing.
how come no charges for that attempted kidnapping?

I could never figure that out either.

One other violation occured. After release from prison pg went up to KC at the table she was dealing cards at. When she called to ask if he had been released and report he had been there, shouldn't he have been picked up immediately for violating probation by crossing over the state line?

I could never figure that out either.

One other violation occured. After release from prison pg went up to KC at the table she was dealing cards at. When she called to ask if he had been released and report he had been there, shouldn't he have been picked up immediately for violating probation by crossing over the state line?

or for coming into contact with his victim?
LE=EPIC FAILLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonaldLew