KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, fatally shot multiple times by LE, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020 #2

From the article:
"The former Louisville police officer who fatally shot Breonna Taylor has a new job in law enforcement in a county northeast of the city.
"In November, the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council voted not to revoke Cosgrove’s state peace officer certification. That meant he could apply for other law enforcement jobs in the state."

Oh yeah, makes sense, just recycle the bad ones- sort of like a bad doctor gets fired from one hospital but hired at another. great idea
I don't know that Officer Cosgrove really did anything wrong. Just like Sgt Mattingly. They were handed a warrant to serve and carried it out. They were not part of the mess in obtaining the warrant, they were were told there was only one person in the home. Cosgrove was fired for political reasons, not legal ones.

Cosgrove was also fired for failing to use his body cam.

Cosgrove was also fired for failing to use his body cam.
Which is why I asked earlier if we know who made the decision to not use cams. Mattingly didn't use a body came and he wasn't fired. Were body cams required?

Which is why I asked earlier if we know who made the decision to not use cams. Mattingly didn't use a body came and he wasn't fired. Were body cams required?
At Tuesday's hearing, LMPD attorney Brendan Daugherty said the department and Cosgrove's attorneys agreed that Cosgrove violated protocol by not activating his body camera during the raid on Taylor's apartment. However, that violation on its own is not a fireable offense.

At Tuesday's hearing, LMPD attorney Brendan Daugherty said the department and Cosgrove's attorneys agreed that Cosgrove violated protocol by not activating his body camera during the raid on Taylor's apartment. However, that violation on its own is not a fireable offense.

I would argue that that article makes it abundantly clear that Cosgrove was fired for political purposes. The interim police chief does quite a word dance to avoid answering the relevant questions. And that, to me, speaks volumes.

A review board upheld the termination of the former police detective who fired the shotthat killed Breonna Taylor last year in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Louisville Metro Police Merit Board backed the decision to fire Myles Cosgrove by a 5-2 vote on Wednesday, a decision that arrived after several days of hearings.

The Louisville Metro Police Departmentterminated Detective Myles Cosgrove in January for use of deadly force for firing 16 rounds into Taylor’s home and failing to activate his body camera, according to a copy of his termination letter.

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron said Cosgrove fired the shot that killed Taylor – which Cameron said was justified because Taylor’s boyfriend fired at officers first.

Myles Cosgrove, one of the Louisville Metro Police officers involved in the 2020 shooting of Breonna Taylor, has been recently hired by the Carroll County Sheriff's Office, Cosgrove's attorney told CNN.

The move prompted the family of Breonna Taylor to release a statement expressing "disgust" and "disappointment" the officer who fired the fatal bullet in the botched raid was hired by a sheriff's office only 50 miles away from Louisville.

Cosgrove -- the detective whose bullet ultimately killed Taylor according to the Kentucky Attorney General -- began working for the Carroll County Sheriff's Office on April 20, Sheriff Ryan Gosser told CNN affiliate WAVE.

The sheriff told WAVE his office did a normal background check prior to hiring Cosgrove, and pointed out Cosgrove was never indicted.

Myles Cosgrove, the former Louisville police officer, who was fired for fatally shooting Breonna Taylor in a botched 2020 police raid and hired earlier this year as a sheriff’s deputy in Carroll County, rammed a resident’s truck with his cruiser Monday and then pointed a gun at the owner and several bystanders, witnesses said.

Witnesses told The Courier Journal that Cosgrove barreled into Happy Hollow Private Resort Park trailer park at a high rate of speed without his emergency lights on, then struck William Joshua Short’s pickup truck with such force that it sent the vehicle flying into a building, breaking off two cinder blocks.

Cosgrove’s cruiser then struck another car, damaging its rear end, the witnesses.

Hankison, a former Louisville Metro Police officer, is accused of violating the civil rights of Breonna Taylor and those of her neighbors during a botched 2020 raid of Taylor's apartment.

He was briefly seen again inside the courtroom as Jennings addressed the court for the first time since Monday.

Right now, it's unclear when the 16-person jury will be seated or when opening statements will begin.

The federal trial began today
I have to say, I find this article by WDRB to be very biased.
Hankerson's actions that night were atrocious and he should have been convicted in his previous trial. But this reporter either does not understand a lot of what happened or is just intentionally misconstruing it.

I have to say, I find this article by WDRB to be very biased.
Hankerson's actions that night were atrocious and he should have been convicted in his previous trial. But this reporter either does not understand a lot of what happened or is just intentionally misconstruing it.
Which parts did you feel seemed biased?

I sort of have some mixed feelings about this.
Certainly Breonna's death was a terrible tragedy. And without question I believe Officer Hankison was a terrible officer and his actions that night were inexcusable. He really should have been found guilty in his state court trial (in my opinion) but he was acquitted by a jury. Sure the Feds can bring their own charged, and did. Sometimes that is a good idea, and maybe was here. But not the way they did. If they do try again, I hope they better focus the charges.

Reactions: byo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back