LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I believe an attorney could probably defend his client better if he knew whether or not he is guilty, it wouldnt be a necessity to know. My guess is that many attorneys may not want to know that they are defending a guilty person, especially in a heinous act, and therefore, may not ask. JMO

That's what I'm wondering - if they try to get to the truth or they prefer to listen to the nonsense. I guess there are different methods of going about defending murderers. My method, if I thought they were guilty, would be to do a poor job in trial. hehehe

no. a confession. suppose the client confesses to their attorney. I don't think the attorney can "tell". Right? I have a problem with that because I don't see how it promotes Justice. I'm also wondering how these meetings go down between the defense attorneys and their clients. DO they try to get the truth from their client?

For example, you have a child that egged the neighbors house. You want to convince the neighbor your child is innocent and your child has not confessed to you, but deep down you know your child did it. Do you try to get the child to confess or do you just let him lie to you and tell you stories of how and why it couldn't have been him? As ridiculous as these stories are, you just sit there and eat the BS?

I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm just curious how these meeting go down between the accused and their attorneys.

Not sure how to even post..my first time. I have been stalking for several days now. You guys are awesome. So I know a defense attorney and he says its better not to know the truth so he can defend them with trying to believe they are telling the truth..However he asks them if there is anything that he needs to know so that nothing incriminating can come out without a plan. Jmo...sorry if I posted wrong...

Hey ACI! Good to see you and kudos for helping on another case :)

Good to see you all as well. And no kudos necessary. Someone brought the case to my attention and got me connected to members of the family and Duson PD who really wanted my help. And I'm happy to do so

Not sure how to even post..my first time. I have been stalking for several days now. You guys are awesome. So I know a defense attorney and he says its better not to know the truth so he can defend them with trying to believe they are telling the truth..However he asks them if there is anything that he needs to know so that nothing incriminating can come out without a plan. Jmo...sorry if I posted wrong...

that makes sense. i guess it would get confusing if you had 2 "truths" on the brain.

:welcome5:

I don't think most lawyers even ask the defendant if they are guilty; they may ask if there is anything they should know, anything that may help their side, or any surprises in the defendant's background, that kind of thing.

I believe they even have to keep it to themselves if the defendant were to tell them where a body is; maybe a lawyer an weigh in, but I believe this to be true, that they cannot divulge the info. There was a case, I just can't think of it now. Sounds too horrible to be true, but that lawyer-client confidentiality thing is serious.

Good to see you all as well. And no kudos necessary. Someone brought the case to my attention and got me connected to members of the family and Duson PD who really wanted my help. And I'm happy to do so

Oh take the dang compliment it is well deserved lol

I believe you have a knack for this and a passion!

no. a confession. suppose the client confesses to their attorney. I don't think the attorney can "tell". Right? I have a problem with that because I don't see how it promotes Justice. I'm also wondering how these meetings go down between the defense attorneys and their clients. DO they try to get the truth from their client?

For example, you have a child that egged the neighbors house. You want to convince the neighbor your child is innocent and your child has not confessed to you, but deep down you know your child did it. Do you try to get the child to confess or do you just let him lie to you and tell you stories of how and why it couldn't have been him? As ridiculous as these stories are, you just sit there and eat the BS?

I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm just curious how these meeting go down between the accused and their attorneys.

BBM

Mark Eiglarsh, a defense attorney (legal analyst for hln), has said many times that he wil tell his clients to stop right there if they start revealing too much. He doesn't want to know. His job is to vigorously fight to get their client off, and the prosecution's job is to get justice. The truth will usually put them away, so, apparently it's not necessary to the defense... Doesn't seem like justice, does it?
All jmo.

If you look at Ebey Street in CP as it goes out of CP going toward Lawtel. Ebey turns into Highway 178. When they built the highway the made several large pits that are extremely deep. You can actually see them on Google maps, at the first big curve to the right. On the other side is the old Canal Refinery.

is this the old refinery?
http://goo.gl/maps/uHWv

Welcome to Websleuths!

:welcome:

Right, and that's something I am having trouble with. What's the point of that? If the Justice system is about justice, where's the justice in that? It's something that i've never really thought about much, honestly. It makes a trial more of a "game" than truly seeking Justice. I'm sure that I'm not thinking this through and am missing something. I'm hoping that some of you wiser folk can explain why this is so.

Hi justwannahelp, welp I can't say that I'm wiser and I feel your frustration. I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV. A lawyer friend once explained it this way to me.... The defense attny's "job" is to defend their client (the one on trial) and must use their skills to mount as strong a defense as possible on the pleading (not guilty, mentally ill, etc.). The burden of proof (for judge and/or jury) is on the prosecution. Defense works to give reasonable doubt. Their job is to provide a strong and competent defense on behalf of their client. Keep in mind that in many cases the defendent is not guilty of the charge and we would all want a strong defense if we were in that spot.

Some defense attnys may not want to know the real facts and some may know- either way..... they still need to do their job. Some lawyers can never see themself in role of defense atty. It's my opinion that some people are suited for defense and some are not.

Hope this kinda helps.... it did for me.

Yeah I'm pretty great :takeabow:

(how's that for taking a compliment ;))

Good to hear we all are in agreement!

Something has been on my mind. BSL is big and strong. She is tiny but mighty. He apparently received some pretty bad wounds. Do you think a man could have come across something bad going on and tried to help, and this man hurt BSL?
My husband is smaller than BSL, I am larger the Mickey. There is no way I could ever do that much damage.

Hi justwannahelp, welp I can't say that I'm wiser and I feel your frustration. I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV. A lawyer friend once explained it this way to me.... The defense attny's "job" is to defend their client (the one on trial) and must use their skills to mount as strong a defense as possible on the pleading (not guilty, mentally ill, etc.). The burden of proof (for judge and/or jury) is on the prosecution. Defense works to give reasonable doubt. Their job is to provide a strong and competent defense on behalf of their client. Keep in mind that in many cases the defendent is not guilty of the charge and we would all want a strong defense if we were in that spot.

Some defense attnys may not want to know the real facts and some may know- either way..... they still need to do their job. Some lawyers can never see themself in role of defense atty. It's my opinion that some people are suited for defense and some are not.

thanks. right. someone has to do it, but i just don't see how they could go on if their client confessed. it seems like it would be a waste of everyone's time and money. but it is what it is :maddening:

I think the laws are written for justice. If one is accused, there should very well be enough convincing evidence before locking them up for who knows how long. However, if the evidence supports a guilty verdict, I sure as heck don't want the defense attorney to put on a dog and pony show to hope they create reasonable doubt.

Something has been on my mind. BSL is big and strong. She is tiny but mighty. He apparently received some pretty bad wounds. Do you think a man could have come across something bad going on and tried to help, and this man hurt BSL?
My husband is smaller than BSL, I am larger the Mickey. There is no way I could ever do that much damage.

You'd be surprised what you can do when fighting for your life. I don't think it was a bystander or anything though. I would say look at his previous assault. He held something sharp to the side of the girl while he orally raped her. I would think perhaps he did the same to MS. Held a knife to her while attempting to do whatever, but she got a hold of the knife and went to town. And that's why he had wounds all over. He would've been taken off guard which allowed her to do much more damage than normal

BBM
No they can't tell.

I think that a defense attorneys job is to give his/her client the best defense possible. In order to do that they need cooperation from their client. If they don't get that complete cooperation, then the defense suffers.

If the defense attorney was on the same side of the scales of justice as the prosecution, how would a defendant get a fair trial?

Those kids must be the ones who grow up to be law breakers and defense attorneys. Seriously though... This is why the job pays so much... Kind of like selling your soul.

i just asked my husband if he thought I, at my size before we got married and had kids (10 pounds ago when i was same as Mickey) could stab him (my husband is the same as BSL) in the back, chest, hand and neck. He said, "yea if you were a chick gone crazy with a knife flailing about" :floorlaugh:

i know this is serious stuff, but i had to laugh at his response

You'd be surprised what you can do when fighting for your life. I don't think it was a bystander or anything though. I would say look at his previous assault. He held something sharp to the side of the girl while he orally raped her. I would think perhaps he did the same to MS. Held a knife to her while attempting to do whatever, but she got a hold of the knife and went to town. And that's why he had wounds all over. He would've been taken off guard which allowed her to do much more damage than normal

Sure hope she did lots of damage! Hope she bit more than his hand!
mmmmm.....Now that would take him to the hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat