Found Deceased LA - Mark Bakotic, 21, New Orleans, 30 Dec 2016

This is so tragic. It's a blessing the family has answers, but this all seems so preventable.

From the beginning I had a feeling he would be found in the river, but several posters were quick to dismiss the theory in the days following his disappearance. Lifting Mark, his father, and his family in light and love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Just in case anyone wants to see when the info was updated, I posted about it in post #118 on Feb 23, 2017

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Would there even be body left to float if he was in the river since december? Maybe it was later.

Seems like it would have to have happened later. I take it he was pretty decomposed but how the heck could his body be there for 6+ months and stil float?

Seems like it would have to have happened later. I take it he was pretty decomposed but how the heck could his body be there for 6+ months and stil float?

The warmer temps and gases ec I think iirc cause a body to resurface..maybe skeletal remains? Idk.

If the body was stuck on something or weighed down, it could have become dislodged.

Maybe all the crazy weather aided in this (currents, etc.)

Or maybe there was disarticulation.

Just some thoughts. Sorry if none are applicable, I'm half asleep.

That is true. Until they released the information that he took a cab and jumped out near Harrahs. That is an entrance to the river, near the ferry dock. At that point, the river was on the table. You can look back and see it discussed. It would have been nearly impossible for him to end up in the river from where he went missing.

I am still unsettled with whether he jumped.in the river that night, if he met with foul play from the ones who had his wallet or if he was alive for a while and ended up dead later. I "feel" (not know) that his death was directly related to that night. I have been concerned from the beginning about the sightings, as sometimes, they felt self serving. I'm also a little confused why his dad said he pretty much knew it was Mark back in July because of his personal things, but mom was posting just this week she needs ideas how to find him...... I prefer transparency when people are donating time and money to help you. But, not my circus, not my monkeys, so I have no say so.

I am glad they can stop searching now. It's the tiniest bit of relief, but it is at least one piece in place. My thoughts are with them.

If he went into the water near Harrah's and floated freely, the current would have carried him much farther away than where he was found. Since the body was found near the Riverwalk (and Harrah's), imo he was trapped or snagged by some pilings or other obstruction, and eventually was set free and surfaced. Recall the tourist who fell in the river a few years ago whose body was trapped under a barge, I believe? Because a riverboat employee saw the man trying to climb aboard the vessel, the area was searched immediately, and Texas Equusearch executed the recovery. Had they not, the man's remains might have stayed trapped for quite awhile. JMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

When I first listened to the vanished podcast, I was pretty sure he was alive with a mental breakdown of some sort from the drugs. Then when I visited New Orleans for a week in July (left the 22nd, never heard about a body being found) I was sure he was deceased. Visiting there and walking down bourbon street, the city was dirty and a bit scary. I kept looking for Mark while I was there and i kept seeing the same homeless people. Just seemed so unlikely he was still there after visiting.

Then looking into Electric Forest a bit I thought the person I found was either him or a doppelgänger which if the later then easy to see where that rumor came from.

I can't imagine his family that has chased down every lead. Such a roller coaster, and heart breaking.

RIP Mark ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, for sure he had to be trapped on something. Or very newly in the water. None of it makes much sense, yet. I think if they release an estimated time of being in the water, it will be more telling.

EtA- this was a reply to Bessie. I'm not sure why it didn't quote. Probably user error HA!

So his body was found on the 22nd of July and his father has known about it since then.

So his body was found on the 22nd of July and his father has known about it since then.
That's what it sounds like. He knew it, just not officially.

Oh no! Just came here and read this. RIP Mark!

I so wished for his father to find him. They must be heartbroken.

After almost 7 months in the water he would be skeletal and not float I would think? Even if trapped and released, there's nothing left that can hold gases. jmo I hope we'll find out more.

His father seems pretty confident that he was spotted around NOLA a few times in the weeks following his disappearance. I believe the last time he said that he heard a sighting that he was kind-of confident about was around St Patrick's Day.

Oh no! Just came here and read this. RIP Mark!

I so wished for his father to find him. They must be heartbroken.

After almost 7 months in the water he would be skeletal and not float I would think? Even if trapped and released, there's nothing left that can hold gases. jmo I hope we'll find out more.
I agree that he wouldn't "float" in the usual way we think of a drowned body filled with gases. However, even after seven months, there would be remains which could have become dislodged (if they were snagged), or otherwise surfaced and became visible. Because he allegedly exited a taxi near the river at Harrah's, right where he was located, I lean toward a drowning within 24-36 hours after he didappeared. JMO, based on the few facts we've gleaned. Of course, there's also the possibility that he returned to the area some time later.

May Marc rest in peace. His father touches my heart. No parent could do more to locate a missing child.

I haven't seen anything on the news since his father made the announcement on Facebook. I would have thought that they would have had some sort of article or story about the update. Praying for answers for this family.

I haven't seen anything on the news since his father made the announcement on Facebook. I would have thought that they would have had some sort of article or story about the update. Praying for answers for this family.

Maybe they’re waiting for confirmation from the coroner. IDK - just guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought it was kind of strange too that not one of the news outlets that previously covered his case as a missing person have updated, especially NOLA.com. I guess it is possible that confirmation from the parents isn't enough for them, maybe? I don't think anything official has been released besides the statement in the FB group by the parents.

So heartbreaking for his family. Have LE said ANYTHING yet?

As far as I know, no, and I've been following pretty closely since it happened (Mark and I have many mutual friends). Mark's Mother posts pretty frequently in the group and has expressed that she can't release any details but is working with detectives. I really haven't heard anything about it outside his parents' reports.

Sorry for taking over this thread today. I'm trying to create a timeline of Mark's disappearance.

Originally, NOPD reported that he was last seen outside of Republic at 11:00 PM on Dec. 30th. They also reported that Mark's credit cards were "used at several locations including at the Magnolia Discount Supermarket on North Claiborne Avenue on December 31, 2016 at approximately 2:48 a.m." http://nopdnews.com/post/january/missing-man-reported-from-independence-street/

Later on, Mark's father told NOLA.com that the time was incorrect, and that he was actually last seen on December 31, 2017 around 3:30 AM. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/01/a_month_after_vanishing_in_the.html

If that's true though, and he jumped in the cab around 3:30 and left his wallet at that time, why would NOPD have such a specific time that his credit cards were used when he wasn't, according to Bakotic Sr, even missing at that point and hadn't left his wallet behind yet? Have I missed something? :waitasec:

*Edit: Found this from Mark Sr, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3505092.149188.100000144294256&type=3&theater

"Based on the start time, I have to guess that Mark lost his wallet before running."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keziah16
Back